8 Vols assistants reject UT pay cut to help with losses due to covid

I don’t. Moral conduct is already established. I’m just holding the standard.
How much of a pay cut request is moral? When does it become immoral on the part of the requester? No moral code is established beyond discussion. Your personal one may be, but there is not a universal moral code. The polar ends can likely be agreed upon by most, but there is a lot of room for discussion in the middle.

Reactions: davethevol
Tennessee football: 8 assistants reject pay cuts. Martin, Graham accept

• Offensive coordinator Jim Chaney
  • Defensive coordinator Derrick Ansley
  • Offensive line coach Will Friend
  • Quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke
  • Inside linebackers coach Brian Niedermeyer
  • Outside linebackers coach Shelton Felton
  • Tight ends coach Joe Osovet
  • Strength and conditioning coach A.J. Artis
Who cares, they signed a contract. Well within their right to reject paycuts. Not their fault NCAA, the Schools, and their Presidents want to put restrictions on the season. To add, are the schools taking less money from their ESPN contracts. Should the schools take a cut from that big money? Schools can't have it both ways.

what Pruitt should have done was take the (undeserving) raise but then give it back as the paycut. That would have at least LOOKED better

How much of a pay cut request is moral? When does it become immoral on the part of the requester? No moral code is established beyond discussion. Your personal one may be, but there is not a universal moral code. The polar ends can likely be agreed upon by most, but there is a lot of room for discussion in the middle.

You are lost. No matter of logic can save you. What you need is a true heart change.

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
Funny there maybe some that are on the side of the University and those requesting the pay cut. Let's have some perspective. Is this any different than a CEO (School) receiving a yearly bonus (ESPN contract), while at the same time laying off workers (pay cut to employees.) Many would find it appalling that a CEO gets a million-dollar bonus while laying off employees, but yet in this instance, they want to use the moral high ground for the greater good? Perplexing.

Ayn Rand idolatry runs deep with this one.

True. Would have maximized your comprehension and retention of the point.

Sure, right. I honestly feel pity for your lack of reason here. I’m confident you’ve made zero sacrifices this year. There’s no way you could have made mandatory or voluntary sacrifices in 2020 and still have this perspective on things.

Ayn Rand idolatry runs deep with this one.

It’s beyond my ability to understand his type of rational. I’m guided by a moral compass that, inherently, has a true North. When you allow the outside magnetic forces to influence your heart and ethics then that’s when you have morals and ethics that fluctuate and sway like some of the unfortunate self-proclaimed “Superior intellectual” people on here.

Sure, right. I honestly feel pity for your lack of reason here. I’m confident you’ve made zero sacrifices this year. There’s no way you could have made mandatory or voluntary sacrifices in 2020 and still have this perspective on things.
One last try, and I give up with you. Your choice of the word "moral" is the problem here. Let me validate your feelings. Something unsavory, tone deaf, non-generous, icky, or whatever term you'd like to utilize occurred in this situation. That is what you are feeling. Nothing lacking morals occurred here. Two parties entered a contract. One party asked the other to amend the contract. The second party declined. Nothing immoral occurred here. You can define their lack of generous spirit and human decency however you'd like on whatever scale you'd like. In the end, however, it is not and has not been immoral in any way. I'm sorry you can't separate those concepts. It's likely from your overwhelming goodness, but they are separate concepts at play here.

It’s beyond my ability to understand his type of rational. I’m guided by a moral compass that, inherently, has a true North. When you allow the outside magnetic forces to influence your heart and ethics then that’s when you have morals and ethics that fluctuate and sway like some of the unfortunate self-proclaimed “Superior intellectual” people on here.
One final example: contract execution is not a moral issue as long as either party does not lie, cheat, or steal in execution of that contract. That's not at play here. You are implementing moral compass in much too broad of a stroke. I believe in moral compass, but there are benign situations where it takes discernment to decipher the moral issue, as well as there being issues that don't really matter towards morality.

One last try, and I give up with you. Your choice of the word "moral" is the problem here. Let me validate your feelings. Something unsavory, tone deaf, non-generous, icky, or whatever term you'd like to utilize occurred in this situation. That is what you are feeling. Nothing lacking morals occurred here. Two parties entered a contract. One party asked the other to amend the contract. The second party declined. Nothing immoral occurred here. You can define their lack of generous spirit and human decency however you'd like on whatever scale you'd like. In the end, however, it is not and has not been immoral in any way. I'm sorry you can't separate those concepts. It's likely from your overwhelming goodness, but they are separate concepts at play here.

Any “goodness” found in me is only because I’ve had a true heart change found by a real encounter with Christ. I’ve realized that this world is not about me, My selfish desires, or what I can rationalize in my own mind. I believe in God and his overall purpose and divine purpose for my life. I believe that there is a true right and wrong and that when your hearts in the right place it’s not difficult to know which is which.

I believe it there was an ethical choice to be made by our assistant coaches. I believe the two of them, along with other coaches at our university, made the right decision. I believe that others failed to see the big picture, factor in the situation involved, and chose to be selfish. If you want to rationalize selfishness then that is a concept that I just cannot comprehend. I feel pity for you and hope that one day you realize there is a true north and you choose to run towards it with all of your strength.

Last edited:
Why would these guys agree to a pay cut? You think UT is going to come to them with bonuses for extra money when the program is doing better? No. They get paid what they negotiated. You agree to build a house for somebody, and they ask you to reduce the price after you start work because they're having financial problems. You agreeing to that? Negative ghost rider....

VN Store

Back