8 Vols assistants reject UT pay cut to help with losses due to covid

I took a voluntary pay cut this year. And paid for some reimbursed items myself. And I didn’t miss it one bit. Unfortunately, you’re wrong about there being decent people in this world. Im sure you that I’m not the only one that took a pay cut this year in order to save a company from going under.

So if you refuse a pay cut then you aren't a decent person? Plus, the company these guys work for isn't going anywhere.

You’re wasting your time going back and forth with him. He looks at life through completely different lenses. Nothing you say will change his mind.
I admire that you did your part to help out at work. Says a lot about not only you but you must have had some very good influences in your life.
BTW-I worked in the school & office supply business for many years.
Unless you work for a small business then taking a pay cut was only keeping more money in your boss's pockets. You don't have to be a total pushover to be a good person.

I'm guessing that they want to make sure the University has to give them their full buyout if things go further south in next year or two.

This and assistants finding out an overpaid Chaney didn't even take a pay cut so why should I, making only $425k in comparison? Once your coordinators refuse the pay cut most of the other assistants will making less.

This says more about the coaches who did take a pay cut - taking one for the team now for hopefully a payoff later. VFL's and other coaches that appear truly invested in UT.

Last edited:
This and assistants finding out an overpaid Chaney didn't even take a pay cut so why should I making $425k? Once your coordinators refuse the pay cut most of the other assistants will.

This says more about the coaches who did take a pay cut - taking one for the team because now for hopefully a payoff later.
Exactly. It is a positive on the coaches agreeing to the paycut, and not a negative on the ones that did not. There is a neutral position in this situation.

Reactions: BreatheUT
You’re wasting your time going back and forth with him. He looks at life through completely different lenses. Nothing you say will change his mind.
I admire that you did your part to help out at work. Says a lot about not only you but you must have had some very good influences in your life.
BTW-I worked in the school & office supply business for many years.

Thank you. I needed this message. I had incredible selfless grandparents and unbelievable parents. People have changed and it honestly breaks my heart. I’ll be 40 in 3 weeks and simply can’t believe what I’m seeing on this site. It’s very disheartening man.

Reactions: VolFaninFla
You are in fact judging. Like I said before, you have no idea what they do with their money in private. They just might be more charitable than you are.

I’m sorry you feel that way. It’s a very naive standpoint to think that someone whom would not take a fractional small pay cut is an extremely generous person.

Thank you. I needed this message. I had incredible selfless grandparents and unbelievable parents. People have changed and it honestly breaks my heart. I’ll be 40 in 3 weeks and simply can’t believe what I’m seeing on this site. It’s very disheartening man.
Once again, if you don't work for a small business then the only thing you did was hurt yourself. Good on you if your willingness to take a pay cut allowed the business to continue and others to keep their jobs but that is not the reality for anyone in the athletic department at UT.

Self righteous much?

It doesn’t surprise me that this is the attitude you take towards the post. It’s the same kind of heart and attitude that drives you to think that the coaches made the right decision. If your heart was right then he would feel differently. I can’t fix or change your heart, unfortunately.

Is Fulmer taking a pay cut?
He said he did, got an email letting the boosters know that he was working like heck for a hevkuva lot less scratch.

I have a feeling that there is a way to quietly offset said pay cut and it may end up being mostly symbolic but at least on paper ADPF did take a salary reduction.

Lol so you think it’s some kind of righteous thing to voluntarily take a pay cut for you and your family so your place of business can make more money?

Lol so you think it’s some kind of righteous thing to voluntarily take a pay cut for you and your family so your place of business can make more money?
Its actually because UT isn't bringing in much money at all right now, if this was a D3 school I could understand but let's at least acknowledge these guys aren't hurting for money and several on that list make 7 figures.

It doesn’t surprise me that this is the attitude you take towards the post. It’s the same kind of heart and attitude that drives you to think that the coaches made the right decision. If your heart was right then he would feel differently. I can’t fix or change your heart, unfortunately.
You are very talented at identifying people who’s hearts need fixing

I think that as highly moral and ethical people that judging someone situation that doesn't directly impact you...is hypocritical at a minimum..
Also if the plandemic has taught us anything its that those that scream the loudest about moraility and ethical behavior tend to be less moral and ethical then the typical person..remeber the toliet paper issue....these are the same people that wear a mask and then take ast loaf of bread in front of the family of 8....but they are wearing a mask so are good and moral.....

You are in fact judging. Like I said before, you have no idea what they do with their money in private. They just might be more charitable than you are.

A cheerful giver is always better than a forced giver. People are incorrectly demonized for not wanting to be a forced giver whose finances are managed by someone else dictating how they spend it.

You clearly don’t have any idea how this world works do you? A business provides for more than one family. I took a pay cut so that my business could have enough funds to 1.stay open and 2. Keep everybody employed.

I know there is a lot of passionate debate on this but I can't help but think about what we don't know about in this situation. There could very well be information these coaches, and their agents, have that we don't. Before we pass judgement I think it is at least reasonable to acknowledge there could be details here causing them to make the decision.

If, for example, they were not offered to be made whole when revenues are back up I think it is reasonable to be paid for the work you are doing. UT agreed to, and likely guaranteed, a certain dollar amount for a role to be performed. Let's not pretend this isn't a business and that there are any loyalties either way save folks like Tee who truly love UT.

As many have said, there is validity to both the business and moral/ethical argument here. If you were in their shoes you may make the same decision, or perhaps a different one. But to flame these guys without all the facts seems off to me.....

Reactions: davethevol

VN Store

Back