8 Vols assistants reject UT pay cut to help with losses due to covid

JIm Chaney isn't going to starve soon. He is buying his clothes at the same store as Jabba Da Hutt. ( I am overweight too , but not like that) He can live for 6 months on water and vitamin pills. He should be paid by the wins and losses. He has been a BIG fat failure. Ga was happy to see the sun again after he left. Seriously though, taking a cut would be good PR and he can use some.

Intellectual superiority always places me in the minority. It's fulfilling, though.

I’m glad you have something that fulfills you. Compassion, grace, integrity, and a common sense moral compass might be a more lofty goal, but you choose intellect. I can’t reason with an unreasonable person, especially when you refuse to see this for what it is. It’s NOT wrong to take what you are owed (generally speaking). What’s wrong is when you realize that Covid has impacted your employer and they are asking you to help. You CAN yet CHOOSE not too. Why did Tee/Graham do it? BECAUSE ITS THE RIGHT THING TO DO!!!!

It's a little different if you look at an average Knox Countian's median salary. Some barely scrape by, and most of these guys are blessed to make 10-20 times or more than most. So, your argument there is not comparing apples to apples.
How much one makes doesn’t make it different. Until you take a pay cut yourself then stfu about how others should or shouldn’t.

I’m glad you have something that fulfills you. Compassion, grace, integrity, and a common sense moral compass might be a more lofty goal, but you choose intellect. I can’t reason with an unreasonable person, especially when you refuse to see this for what it is. It’s NOT wrong to take what you are owed (generally speaking). What’s wrong is when you realize that Covid has impacted your employer and they are asking you to help. You CAN yet CHOOSE not too. Why did Tee/Graham do it? BECAUSE ITS THE RIGHT THING TO DO!!!!
If the University hadn’t been so poor with decisions and handling of money, then why should the employees sacrifice to bail them out? Would the University hand over more money freely to them if it were more profitable in a certain year? No

Snake oil salesmen... the coaches who are the problem are the ones who want 100% of the pay that they aren't earning...
yeah, I've often thought there should be a good and fair baseline with a more highly aggressive and tiered bonus package, based upon results. "we're 2-4 and lost by a big margin to KY and ARK...I'm going to let you think about your answer a little more."
1605356565486.jpeg
There's got to be force majeure clauses in all these contracts, but I guess is bad optics to use them.

Reactions: ecs4dvols
If the University hadn’t been so poor with decisions and handling of money, then why should the employees sacrifice to bail them out? Would the University hand over more money freely to them if it were more profitable in a certain year? No

Ugh...back to this. It’s a one year exception due to a pandemic. I just don’t see HOW you 4 people here don’t see it. So, your solution is just for the University to cut elsewhere so they can “learn their lesson”. The school ( almost EVERY power 5 university) are fiscally out of control with coaches pay. We ALL see that. That’s not the issue here. ITS A PANDEMIC YEAR AND EVERYONE IS SACRIFICING SOMETHING!!!!!! Stop being so selfish and cold hearted!!!!

Ugh...back to this. It’s a one year exception due to a pandemic. I just don’t see HOW you 4 people here don’t see it. So, your solution is just for the University to cut elsewhere so they can “learn their lesson”. The school ( almost EVERY power 5 university) are fiscally out of control with coaches pay. We ALL see that. That’s not the issue here. ITS A PANDEMIC YEAR AND EVERYONE IS SACRIFICING SOMETHING!!!!!! Stop being so selfish and cold hearted!!!!
Easy to be “nOt SeLfIsH” when you are talking about someone else’s pocketbook. Could probably do everyone a favor and stay out of other’s.

Easy to be “nOt SeLfIsH” when you are talking about someone else’s pocketbook. Could probably do everyone a favor and stay out of other’s.
Lots of us took cuts this year. Obviously you didn’t. It’s ok if you don’t relate. You’re wrong, but I understand HOW you would not understand if you didn’t have to sacrifice anything in 2020 like most of us have had to.

Reactions: cardvolfan
How much one makes doesn’t make it different. Until you take a pay cut yourself then stfu about how others should or shouldn’t.
I never said others should or shouldn't. Living your life with that much anger must be tough for you. Hopefully, it won't eat you up too early in life.

I believe it’s extremely selfish and shortsighted of those eight coaches they probably do not realize and clearly do not care that if they sacrifice a little bit that it would protect someone else’s job that’s also struggling this year and that person may be the one that helps them in the administration the most! Foolish

I don’t blame them. Tomorrow’s not guaranteed, and in this pandemic next season sure is not. If attendance and altered schedule issues drag on for 2-3 years, sports entertainment is going to be nailed to the wall. These guys better get while the gettin’s good because when it comes to making the world turn, they’re ultimately not that important

Last edited:
All I know is that IF you’d had to sacrifice in 2020 then you’d have a different perspective. That’s all. Not saying you are a bad person chief...just that you obviously can’t relate.
No, that’s not true at all. Just because a person had to sacrifice doesn’t mean they believe they can tell others when they have to as well.

Reactions: GAVol
Tennessee football: 8 assistants reject pay cuts. Martin, Graham accept

• Offensive coordinator Jim Chaney
  • Defensive coordinator Derrick Ansley
  • Offensive line coach Will Friend
  • Quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke
  • Inside linebackers coach Brian Niedermeyer
  • Outside linebackers coach Shelton Felton
  • Tight ends coach Joe Osovet
  • Strength and conditioning coach A.J. Artis
Looks like we know who cares about the program and not just a big paycheck. I figured Graham and Martin would, they love this program.

The school ( almost EVERY power 5 university) are fiscally out of control with coaches pay. We ALL see that.
They are out of control -according to your sensibilities. They wouldn’t pay coaches what they do unless their were: A) funds available to do so; and B) a belief that there is an ROI.

Reactions: CAVPUT
No, that’s not true at all. Just because a person had to sacrifice doesn’t mean they believe they can tell others when they have to as well.
100%. I can see an argument both ways on this one, but it’s a personal decision. Some treat it as an ethical dilemma. And, let’s be honest, some just see an income they can barely fathom and automatically think “screw the rich guy”.

Who says the Athletic Department deserves help? I would argue their previous behavior demonstrates they do not deserve assistance at this time. I would even argue that they may not be in as poor a situation as they like to present themselves. Maybe their cries are a scam at this point, and they failed to justify their need to these people refusing the pay cut. Maybe you are unreasonable, but you don't feel that way because your overwhelming feeling of charity masks your discernment ability. Maybe you have assigned human characteristics to an entity and cannot differentiate that the emotions and gifts you want to be seen utilized by everyone towards that entity are not as simply demonstrated as it would be in the situation of offering your gifts to humans outside of a business situation. Maybe the charity starts with you and others helping those displaced from their jobs due to cuts in the AD. Maybe you should do something to share your gifts with these people instead of placing the burden on others that you do not understand. You can be a great person and misguided in the situation itself. In turn, I can understand the situation from my perspective and still harbor feelings of compassion, grace, and integrity towards those affected. How you are capable of viewing the situation outside of emotion and influence, and how you choose to react can be mutually exclusive.

They are out of control -according to your sensibilities. They wouldn’t pay coaches what they do unless their were: A) funds available to do so; and B) a belief that there is an ROI.

Again, just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should.

Who says the Athletic Department deserves help? I would argue their previous behavior demonstrates they do not deserve assistance at this time. I would even argue that they may not be in as poor a situation as they like to present themselves. Maybe their cries are a scam at this point, and they failed to justify their need to these people refusing the pay cut. Maybe you are unreasonable, but you don't feel that way because your overwhelming feeling of charity masks your discernment ability. Maybe you have assigned human characteristics to an entity and cannot differentiate that the emotions and gifts you want to be seen utilized by everyone towards that entity are not as simply demonstrated as it would be in the situation of offering your gifts to humans outside of a business situation. Maybe the charity starts with you and others helping those displaced from their jobs due to cuts in the AD. Maybe you should do something to share your gifts with these people instead of placing the burden on others that you do not understand. You can be a great person and misguided in the situation itself. In turn, I can understand the situation from my perspective and still harbor feelings of compassion, grace, and integrity towards those affected. How you are capable of viewing the situation outside of emotion and influence, and how you choose to react can be mutually exclusive.

It’s simple...to whom much is given, much is required. I’ve been affected and sacrificed in 2020 not because of anything I did wrong. MOST of us have

Lots of us took cuts this year. Obviously you didn’t. It’s ok if you don’t relate. You’re wrong, but I understand HOW you would not understand if you didn’t have to sacrifice anything in 2020 like most of us have had to.
I was on furlough for two months and returned with a 15% pay cut and reduction of benefits. Some co-workers did not make it through due to almost certain permanent disappearance of clients for whom we did business. I can do without your lecture steeped in moral superiority and self righteousness. I'm capable of understanding that the sacrifices made by most and permanent sacrifices made by some within my company made it possible for others to continue. I also understand that anyone not interested in making that sacrifice had every opportunity to do something else. if they wished, although at their own risk. I also understand that contracts were fulfilled and any adjustments to contracts were made upon expiration and presentation of new terms that the contractors had an opportunity to accept or decline. Everyone had an opportunity to sacrifice, but it just occurred at varied times. I consider it more moral that promises were upheld and adjustments were made after keeping promises. Your turn.

VN Store

Back