Bailey led the team in passing

DNR; Maurer sucks and no journalist or family member will change my mind.
Im not either and if your not willing to read or have an open mind then you have an issue with the kid or lack the ability for individual thoughts...either way. Good day

Im not either and if your not willing to read or have an open mind then you have an issue with the kid or lack the ability for individual thoughts...either way. Good day
After a few more pass attempts of throwing into triple coverage, bailing on a clean pocket and throwing outside on a inside route you'll come around.

Bailey was at least calm and confident. He identified what the defense was giving...the underneath bailout to the back. How many of those on the last drive would Guarantano have tried to push downfield into coverage?

Bailey should be getting 1st team reps this week to build his confidence and develop a game-plan that suits his strengths. I don't believe he's a world-beater, yet, but he was playing high level HS ball a year ago. He's had more recent action...and success, than anyone of the backups.

Last edited:
Bailey was at least calm and confident. He identified what the defense was giving...the underneath bailout to the back. How many of those on the last drive would Guarantano have tried to push downfield into coverage?

Bailey should be getting 1st team reps this weak to build his confidence and develop a game-plan that suits his strengths. I don't believe he's a world-beater, yet, but he was playing high level HS ball a year ago. He's had more recent action...and success, than anyone of the backups.
Great take. 100% agree

Bailey had good stats, but Ark was playing a prevent defense and the middle was wide open and easy throws. The first interception should have been a pass interference call when the defender pushed Hyatt in the back. The second was a desperation pass where it would not do any good to throw away so he forced it in with no time left.

JG could have probably done as well in that situation, but my vote would be to throw Bailey in there and let him get some reps. We can't do any worse than we are doing. What do we have to lose?

Reactions: mercuryvol
When he is ready start him. Still not ready though. You don't trade wins now for wins next year or two years down the road.

Reactions: lexkyvol
And HB was 2 picks in 13 attempts...context matters...its very difficult to be thrown into another QBs gameplan with little practice time.....when prepared for games (except KY after injury) BM played well...HB played well at the end of this game..
I honestly don't care. We are not good. We can agree on that.

Reactions: whodeycin85
Bailey led the team last night in passing with 69 yards.

Just thought this should have a spotlight shown on it.

This is both damn scary and hilarious at the same time.
Time to make the investment.

Maurer looked like a completely different player than the confident guy he was last year... when he actually knew less. I think Maurer needs a new start. He has talent but it does not look like he's progressing with this staff.

Just give the keys to Bailey at this point and don't look back. UT will lost more games... maybe all of them this year. But he'll gain the experience needed to take over next year.

When he is ready start him. Still not ready though. You don't trade wins now for wins next year or two years down the road.
LOL@U. UT has already lost 2 games to teams with inferior rosters... except for the QB position.

Yeah. You DO trade possible wins/losses now to get a BETTER talent on the field. Once again we saw a D with average or less talent employ the same gameplan to stop UT. All you have to do is make the game about JG... and UT's O stalls.

Not surprising you don't see it. But there is NO path forward with JG at QB. The team is as good as it is going to be and problems "covered" by his problems will still have to be dealt with later.

Time to make the investment.

Maurer looked like a completely different player than the confident guy he was last year... when he actually knew less. I think Maurer needs a new start. He has talent but it does not look like he's progressing with this staff.

Just give the keys to Bailey at this point and don't look back. UT will lost more games... maybe all of them this year. But he'll gain the experience needed to take over next year.
LOSING winnable games now. Different is better. We have a limited offense with a 5th year senior. What has been trotted out as a plus for JG is that he gets the offense lined up correctly. Bailey did that the best of the 3 on Saturday. I know I know! “Prevent defense...rush package 0”. Limited time and he calmly ran the offense. He can only play who he lines up against and we have a track record of QBs not playing up to the situation. Not dismissing Maurer like many others either. Bad games exist...he had a bad quarter.

Last edited:
LOSING winnable games now. Different is better. We have a limited offense with a 5th year senior. What has been trotted out as a plus for JG is that he gets the offense lined up correctly. Bailey did that the best of the 3 on Saturday. I know I know! “Prevent defense...rush package 0). Limited time and he calmly ran the offense. He can only play who he lines up against and we have a track record of QBs not playing up to the situation. Not dismissing Maurer like many others either. Bad games exist...he had a bad quarter.

I'm not dismissing Maurer as a player. I've been pretty supportive. But unlike last year... he badly mismanaged the pocket and panicked. He looked a lot like JG his first year except he threw the ball rather than eating sacks. I've been pretty tough on JG but BM locking in on targets pretty much from the snap isn't where he should be as a player.

There will be some growing pains with either of the young guys. But at least there will be a real opportunity for "growth". IMO, JG is pretty much at his ceiling as a player... and the O is at its ceiling with him at QB.

I'm not dismissing Maurer as a player. I've been pretty supportive. But unlike last year... he badly mismanaged the pocket and panicked. He looked a lot like JG his first year except he threw the ball rather than eating sacks. I've been pretty tough on JG but BM locking in on targets pretty much from the snap isn't where he should be as a player.

There will be some growing pains with either of the young guys. But at least there will be a real opportunity for "growth". IMO, JG is pretty much at his ceiling as a player... and the O is at its ceiling with him at QB.
Maybe an excuse is all Pruitt needed on this one move anyway. Can’t convince me less football plays are made with either one with a full game to be played.

BM just didn't look focused....

Maybe an excuse is all Pruitt needed on this one move anyway. Can’t convince me less football plays are made with either one with a full game to be played.
I don't know.

If I am right about Chaney's role in this and JG is unavailable... then he'll do his best to set someone up to take the job permanently. It is an "opinion" based on lots of subjective things... but I think Chaney would have taken a different path with the QB position if Pruitt had allowed it.

Fair enough....do we truly know how many reps the backups got...know what we know now about practices and such???
The first spring and fall camps for new players are the most important, as they are doing walk-throughs and installs. I don't know how many HB had this year but it was not many at all. BM had full camps last year.

Now that's no excuse for him or BM not to be ready at this point in the season. Thats 100% on the coaching staff.

BM just didn't look focused....
Maybe. He's an emotional guy and had a lot of heartache last week. But he broke the pocket a couple of times rather than sticking in and going through his progression. He missed a couple of wide open running lanes. He just didn't look like the same guy.

Granted a small sample set... but give that round of the tryout to Bailey.

I don't know.

If I am right about Chaney's role in this and JG is unavailable... then he'll do his best to set someone up to take the job permanently. It is an "opinion" based on lots of subjective things... but I think Chaney would have taken a different path with the QB position if Pruitt had allowed it.
I don’t know how much of a sounding board he was during Tyler Bray’s true freshman season, but whoever made the final call on shelving Matt Simms ...Dooley or Chaney...almost waited too long. Different team after that. At least for one season.

Reactions: sjt18
Wins now? What games have you been watching?
\

Good one.

But still it could be the difference between a few more wins this year or going winless.

LOL@U. UT has already lost 2 games to teams with inferior rosters... except for the QB position.

Yeah. You DO trade possible wins/losses now to get a BETTER talent on the field. Once again we saw a D with average or less talent employ the same gameplan to stop UT. All you have to do is make the game about JG... and UT's O stalls.

Not surprising you don't see it. But there is NO path forward with JG at QB. The team is as good as it is going to be and problems "covered" by his problems will still have to be dealt with later.
You will do all you can to blame JG.

We were winning the game with him in. BM could not maintain the lead.

The game was not about JG. It was about the other guys not stepping up second half.

You just expose yourself more and more with idiotic posts like this.

Reactions: lexkyvol
Pruitt says that JG gives us our best chance to win, and he may be right. The problem that many of us have is that JG gives us very little chance to win, even if it is our best chance to win. After giving it much thought over the last four weeks, I believe I would prefer to have a slightly lower chance to win with someone else at the helm. I don't dislike JG, I just think we've seen the very best that he can do and in my opinion that isn't good enough. When we're losing against teams like Kentucky and Arkansas, it is clearly time for a change.

VN Store

Back