Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frustrating that Kress and the boys are already on the fire Pruitt discussion. It's ridiculous. Guys, it's year 3, in the weirdest year ever, and he doesn't have a QB. We were playing really good ball just two games ago. JG re-broke in the second half of the ga game and he and everything else went wrong against KY. I know it was an ugly loss, but think of where we were just 2 games ago. Things aren't as bad as they seem. Heck, we may come out and compete this weekend, who knows?

But the worst thing that we can do right now is to be all over the internet, and on the radio as is the case with Fox Sports Knoxville, talking about Pruitt getting fired. That just gives opposing coaches ammo in recruiting. We need Pruitt to recruit well and be successful here. We can't be talking about his job in year 3, especially when things were going fine 6 quarters ago. We need to relax. Heck, Bailey or Maurer may still turn this thing around this year. We'll see.

Last edited:
Frustrating that Kress and the boys are already on the fire Pruitt discussion. It's ridiculous. Guys, it's year 3, in the weirdest year ever, and he doesn't have a QB. We were playing really good ball just two games ago. JG re-broke in the second half of the ga game and he and everything else went wrong against KY. I know it was an ugly loss, but think of where we were just 2 games ago. Things aren't as bad as they seem. Heck, if we may come out and compete this weekend, who knows?

But the worst thing that we can do right now is to be all over the internet, and on the radio as is the case with Fox Sports Knoxville, talking about Pruitt getting fired. That just gives opposing coaches ammo in recruiting. We need Pruitt to recruit well and be successful here. We can't be talking about his job in year 3, especially when things were going fine 6 quarters ago. We need to relax. Heck, Bailey or Maurer may still turn this thing around this year. We'll see.
Shows they are hacks. Keep going back to the same material because they know what gets them ratings.

Frustrating that Kress and the boys are already on the fire Pruitt discussion. It's ridiculous. Guys, it's year 3, in the weirdest year ever, and he doesn't have a QB. We were playing really good ball just two games ago. JG re-broke in the second half of the ga game and he and everything else went wrong against KY. I know it was an ugly loss, but think of where we were just 2 games ago. Things aren't as bad as they seem. Heck, we may come out and compete this weekend, who knows?

It's ridiculous. If you can't see a clear difference of improvement, than something is wrong. You're lost.
We're almost there depth wise to where we need to be to compete with the likes of Fl, UGA, and Bama. And a great QB away from being a top 10 team.

It's ridiculous. If you can't see a clear difference of improvement, than something is wrong. You're lost.
We're almost there depth wise to where we need to be to compete with the likes of Fl, UGA, and Bama. And a great QB away from being a top 10 team.
We shouldn’t fire Pruitt but we DID just get boatraced by Kentucky so competing with FL/UGA/Bama still seems a long way off.

We shouldn’t fire Pruitt but we DID just get boatraced by Kentucky so competing with FL/UGA/Bama still seems a long way off.
We competed with GA for 3 quarters. If we had a QB, it would have been for 4. But we don't. Maybe it's Bailey. We'll find out. But again, we were fine up until the 4th quarter against GA and everything has fallen apart since then. We don't know where this is going yet. But talking about firing when we were coming off of an 8 game win streak leading into that game is really dumb. By the way, we haven't played Fl yet. So we'll see if we can compete with them come December

I think we have to look at the upperclass talent on this team. Who of our upperclassmen are talented players? I can think of 4, Trey, BT, Palmer, and AT (sometimes). Of those 4, only one would start at bama or ga. Pruitt has brought in 2 classes at TN. Unfortunately, due to the covid nonsense, we haven't seen much of our freshmen this year. But that tells you how early this is and how dumb it is to talk about firing. KY is not a great team, but they're a good team, and if you play on Saturday like our QB did, they will beat you. Simple as that.

The top end of the roster is close to where it needs to be except qb. We do not have enough depth to compete with them on a week to week basis but we could get lucky every now and then with the talent level and depth we have now save the qb position.

I agree it's too soon to fire Pruitt but I don't think it unreasonable to question this staff's ability to develop and or evaluate the qb position. It is valid to point out that if Bailey doesn't develop this staff may not be able to get it done and other options may be needed.

Great post on VQ. We need Bailey or Salter to be that guy:

We have got to hit on a special QB recruit. You can blame a lot of things for Tennessee's demise but not having an elite QB since Clausen is the reason we can't compete anymore. Dobbs was the outlier as I think he was special but also miss-managed. Take a look at the elite programs that have come and gone and the ones who are still elite. Bottom line is every program/coach that was dominant for a lengthy period of time (sans Alabama they just paid the **** out of players) started it with a program changing QB.

QB's are the hardest to evaluate in high school but we really need Bailey to be a stud and then have Ty Simpson follow. It's the only way we get back on track. Recruits follow great QB''s who make everyone around them better.

Clemson-Taj Boyd-Deshaun Watson
Georgia- David Greene Started it then to Matt Stafford
Tennessee- Payton to Tee to Casey
Oklahoma- Baker to Kyler to Jalen
USC- Palmer to Leinhart
Texas- Applewhite/Simms/Young (Similar to us, lately haven't done anything and also haven't had a QB for sh!t)
Baylor in it's prime- RG3 to Stidham
Ohio State- Terrell Pryor, Troy Smith, Braxton Miller, Justin Fields
Oregon- Joey Harrington to Kellen Clemmons to Dennis Dixon to Mariota to Herbert
Exactly right.

You need elite QB's to be elite at the SEC level.

You also at least need a good QB to be good at this level. Unless your defense is insane.

I think you can take our streak of great QB play back to Tony Robinson. He was pretty great. Andy Kelly was good, not great, Shuler was great. Peyton was Elite, Tee good, Clausen good, Ainge was good. Basically from 84 until 07 we had at least good QB play for the most part.

Since 07 we have had Bray and Dobbs. Thats it. And they didn't have the foundation around them to make us excel.

With Pruitt I think we have that foundation to excel as evidenced to how well we have played when JG isn't turning the ball over 6 times in three quarters. We were 2-0 and leading number 3 on the road at halftime prior to JG's most recent vomiting all over himself. Where are we with any of those aforementioned QB's right now? At least 3-1 and possibly 4-0.

I would bet its a lot more likely Pruitt finds us a good QB than not. Can't say he will find us an elite one, but I would bet he won't reproduce JG like play over the course of his tenure here.

We literally can't get worse at quarterback. Its only up from here....please god...

Reactions: Smokeytom
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back