Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
No doubt Bray had more arm talent but imo made more crucial mistakes that lost games than dobbs.
in the end Dobbs was a winner that willed his team to win a number of games and Bray didn’t do that imo

And I’d argue Dobbs did a whole hell of a lot good for Tenn football.
Agreed Bray didn’t
that's fine, but i wouldn't classify any of those things as being more elite than the other. when i think elite, i think talent.

they have completely different skill sets. and while i can say i think Bray has elite arm talent or Dobbs has elite athleticism.....neither are really true. Dobbs was here longer and beat UGA and FL, and did the vast majority of his damage to opponents on his own, w/out intervention from scheme or game planning....................so he's gonna get looked on with more favor.

Bray threw beer bottles and beat NCSU.....
:)

i kid......

I am in quarantine by the state department of health because someone (who they cannot name) thought they were around me on a day (they cannot recall) and that someone tested positive for Covid. If I violate the quarantine, then I am breaking my governors executive order which is being challenged in the state Supreme Court. In the meantime, the state department of health has my phone number and want to track my progress over the 14 day quarantine.

I had them call me about contact tracing. I was not home and they left a message. I called them back and they said they would have to call me back because they couldn’t find why they had called me. They never called me back. It looks like I dodged a bullet.

Who has done more than Dobbs the past decade? Barnett and? The bar for "do a whole lot at TN" has shifted significantly since Eric Berry days.
so? the issue was "elite". i usually think in terms of talent/skill when discussing "elite".

is dobbs more elite of a person than Bray? probably. by a wide margin.

lol. and dobbs will always be looked on more favorably in the memories of TN fans. which he probably should be. beat UGA twice, beat FL, and is a great ambassador for UT.

he's not an elite QB. neither is bray really....they both have elite qualities, and that's about as far as id' take it.

Reactions: beneVOLence
I looked at the depth chart for this week...

If we are to believe these are relevant, there are two details on the offensive chart that are somewhat noteworthy.

QB1 = JG
QB2 = Maurer

I fully expect JG to start. I have felt that was inevitable all along. But QB2 has been Shrout to this point. Maurer moving up is an indicator that he might get snaps. It might also indicate JG will have a short leash.

LT = Wanya OR Jahmir Johnson
LG = Trey
C = Kennedy
RG = Carvin
RT = Cade

I think our best OL combo this year has been Jahmir, Trey, BK, Carvin, and Cade. Jahmir was the starter against USCe until he had whatever health issues he’s had. I really hope we lock in a 5 and chill with all the rotation.
The QB depth is saying QB2 is Maurer OR Shrout OR HB. So....no one in particular

Not that the depth chart matters much

I had them call me about contact tracing. I was not home and they left a message. I called them back and they said they would have to call me back because they couldn’t find why they had called me. They never called me back. It looks like I dodged a bullet.
You did, I should have never answered

JG will start and will play the whole game unless he commits three to four consecutive turnovers. If he does make the turnovers they will pull him for one series, maybe two, and then put him back in. Rinse and repeat. All I know is that whoever the backup is he probably won't play much.

Bailey is used to being thrown out there. His FR year Marietta went 3-7 and he got killed out there, but we started like 16 FR and 3 SO's. He was so much better his SO year in the playoffs where he threw for 338 and 5 tds against the eventual state champs. By his SR year we were killing people and won a state championship. The experience, even if rough, will help him exponentially next season.
But he got the ball to dangerous weapons on the roster...instead of forcing them to less talented options. So he sucks. 😏

JG will start and will play the whole game unless he commits three to four consecutive turnovers. If he does make the turnovers they will pull him for one series, maybe two, and then put him back in. Rinse and repeat. All I know is that whoever the backup is he probably won't play much.
i mean, that's kind of an easy take to have, since it's exactly how this situation has played out each time it's been presented in the past....lol.

i think if any of the 3 back ups came in and asserted themselves and played well, that'd be the end of JG.

it's never happened that way, so we play musical chairs.

i gave, and still do give, the staff a ton of credit for how they managed that situation last year....

this year, they need one of these guys to step up and take it......and stop sucking out loud.

it's a good point. but i'd put TN's progression all the way back to Andy Kelly, Heath Shuler, Peyton, tee, Casey, Ainge........we had a run from the late 80's thru the mid 2000's where QB really wasn't an "issue", at least not anywhere close to the level we have experienced the last 10 years.

and i don't think he has to be a program changer, a la Peyton Manning/Trevor Lawrence...

but we absolutley have to get out of the funk we're in. i've been saying it for 3 years now....'if JG just doesn't suck out loud...if he can just not be a complete disaster at times....if he were just a serviceable SEC QB"...then we'd probably be ok.

i still can't beleive how many catastrophic plays he's been invovled in while at UT.....just can't.....

I loved Andy Kelly, but he was hot and cold. I always thought that Andy could bring us back (Notre Dame 1991). I agree that Heath Shuler was a fantastic college QB and deserves to be in the progression of really good to great QB’s at Tennessee.

Reminder that Dabo Swinney went 6-7 in his third year as the HC at Clemson. His record was a grand total of 19-15 through his first three seasons (in his first season he took over midway through the year).

Pruitt is currently 15-14, in a much harder league. Y'all need to R.E.L.A.X. We're very much on the right track, we just need competent QB play.
Agree, and yet the troubling signs (staff turnover, GA State, JG commitment) are still there in spite of just coming up short in some games

I loved Andy Kelly, but he was hot and cold. I always thought that Andy could bring us back (Notre Dame 1991). I agree that Heath Shuler was a fantastic college QB and deserves to be in the progression of really good to great QB’s at Tennessee.
well, Andy did bring us back against ND....until he didn't. lol.

and yeah, Kelly is one of my favorites, but he was as mistake prone as he was big play capable....the thing that gets lost when Kelly ges talked about as a QB and his importance to TN was that he and those offenses of the late 80's, very early 90's, showed recruits what we were about, and what we were capable of....i think the 89, 90, 91 seasons were crucial in setting up our ability to build the program the way we did later on in the decade.

and Kelly was a big part of that, as was Carl PIckens and Alvin Harper, and Hayden, Steward, Cobb, Webb and all those big O linemen we had.....

we had an identity....

👆🏼 - This.

After the Kentucky game, the staff has 3 weeks to get one of the other guys up to speed before taking the field against Arkansas. This week, JG is going to start, and unless he has a Herculean effort against Bama, they starting spot will be handed over to one of the other 3.

Pruitt priced last year he would do this. I’m not sure why everyone is jumping to such strong conclusions about Pruitt & JG when we have empirical evidence that he will bench him.

But go ahead and prepare yourself for JG to be the guy this week. Just remember, that’s not necessarily Pruitt’s final answer for the QB situation.
JG will play the game of his life, we'll lose in heartbreaking fashion on some BS call and then JG will throw 3 pick sixes against Ark and we will get run at home again . It's the Tennessee way.

-Patrick Brown (247)
It’s happening!!! I bet we see a new starter, but I hope like heck that this isn’t like last year where we start one QB and then bring JG in for the next series. Let whoever have a chance. Praying it’s Maurer or Bailey if we make a change.

JMO - we are at that same spot as we were with the previous two HC's, folks. They got there with different approaches, staffs and levels of experience - but we are there. All three were too stubborn to admit they were wrong. All three lost the confidence of experienced assistant coaches who left the program or were run off. Jeremy will get the Butch treatment as compared to the Dools treatment. He will get extra time because he tries to get along with UT execs/donors and will have some success at times.

If he does not believe HB can survive against Bama, which is ridiculous to assume without evidence, he can start BM who has experience and two years in Chaney's system. There are no excuses at this point. JG may have the game of his career this Saturday and then play like garbage and lose to Arky the next week. We all know it. So do the players. So all of it is on Jeremy. He is three years in still wasting time on bad QB play. His D is messed up such he had to fire a new hire (Brumbaugh) 4 games in and do the job himself. Which means the guy was a bad hire to start with and they paid too much for that bad hire. Weinke anyone? Still there. What position is still the least effective on the field? The lack of player discipline in games from penalties and missed assignments also demonstrates the lack of focus and loss of control internally.

Handwriting meet wall. He needs to wake up before it is too late.

DAYUUM--- this all freakin day!

Reactions: Jwbvol
I huge question that has been asked, but I can’t get away from is “Why are the backup QB’s held to a higher standard than JG?”. The only explanation that it can be is that he is better in practice and in the film/QB room and they trust that he will be what he is in those settings on game day. The problem is that he is sometimes, but if he gets rattled the mistakes seem to compound.

Last edited:
I feel like we should be looking at FSU for what a change can do. Last two coaches kept playing Blackman and even though he would have a few games where he was very good, the other games he was a liability and always seemed to make a really bad decision at least twice a game. They finally said enough is enough and gave all reps and experience to the other QB. He struggled a little at first but you could see the change in the team. He made some mistakes but he also made a lot of plays too. Last week they beat UNC who was ranked number five. I know they are severely overrated but three weeks ago that FSU team would have lost by 35.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back