Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pruitts QB is relevant against Arkansas.

👆🏼 - This.

After the Kentucky game, the staff has 3 weeks to get one of the other guys up to speed before taking the field against Arkansas. This week, JG is going to start, and unless he has a Herculean effort against Bama, they starting spot will be handed over to one of the other 3.

Pruitt priced last year he would do this. I’m not sure why everyone is jumping to such strong conclusions about Pruitt & JG when we have empirical evidence that he will bench him.

But go ahead and prepare yourself for JG to be the guy this week. Just remember, that’s not necessarily Pruitt’s final answer for the QB situation.

I am in quarantine by the state department of health because someone (who they cannot name) thought they were around me on a day (they cannot recall) and that someone tested positive for Covid. If I violate the quarantine, then I am breaking my governors executive order which is being challenged in the state Supreme Court. In the meantime, the state department of health has my phone number and want to track my progress over the 14 day quarantine.
Tell them you kissed Saban and the entire first team offense and defense of the Alabama football team on the mouth!

Yeah, this is pretty stunning to me.

I don’t know exactly what it means, but here’s my gut:

When Pruitt has the team enthusiastic and locked in, we compete, and usually win.

When we come out flat, which has happened far too often, we get throttled.

It doesn’t seem like Pruitt can get this team to flip the switch at halftime or late in the game. The tone is set early.

I just wanted to break it down a little more:

2018:
- WV- 40-14: only 13-7 at half but offense really couldn't get anything going; defense couldn't stop Grier
- UF- 47-21: turnover after turnover early; never had a chance because we gave UF short fields
- UGA- 38-12; offense did nothing; defense did ok; first TD by UGA was on a sack of Fromm and Nauta picked it up and ran 31 yards; bad luck
- Bama- 58-21; couldn't stop them but offense was terrible in first quarter
- Mizzou- 50-17; was 13-10 with 5 minutes left in first half; huge TO late in first half allowed Mizzou to go up 26-10
- Vandy- 38-13; no offense in first half; only UT score through 3rd quarter was long run by Chandler; was only 17-7 at end of 3rd

2019:
- UF- 34-3: JG had 2 INT's in first half; no offense; couldn't recover down 17-0 at half; for those that don't remember, Maurer started 2nd half; Trask had 2 INT's in 3rd quarter but we couldn't do anything
- UGA- 43-14: Maurer started; up 14-10 in early 2nd; offense stalled; missed a FG; UGA up 26-14 at half; Maurer INT and fumble in 2nd half
- Bama- 35-13: we all know about this; Maurer hurt; refs suck; JG went rogue; score really doesn't indicate how they played

2020:
- UGA- 44-21: leading at half, so the start wasn't the problem
- UK- 34-7: turnovers, turnovers, turnovers

When you go back and look at the play by play charts, the striking thing to me is seeing the number of turnovers and 3 and outs on offense. Things that you can't have if you want to win big games or not get blown out by 20+. I am not sure that I would put it all on the team "not being ready to play." I would put alot of it on the offense doing nothing, and the defense just not having much of a chance.

I thought about that. I just got a text from the Sara Alert System. Nationwide health tracker. I did not give them my number. They already had my number
Don't take phone with u when u go out. Use your motorcycle or an old car with no computer system in it.
Jk but not really. Sucks man. Feel for ya

Great post on VQ. We need Bailey or Salter to be that guy:

We have got to hit on a special QB recruit. You can blame a lot of things for Tennessee's demise but not having an elite QB since Clausen is the reason we can't compete anymore. Dobbs was the outlier as I think he was special but also miss-managed. Take a look at the elite programs that have come and gone and the ones who are still elite. Bottom line is every program/coach that was dominant for a lengthy period of time (sans Alabama they just paid the **** out of players) started it with a program changing QB.

QB's are the hardest to evaluate in high school but we really need Bailey to be a stud and then have Ty Simpson follow. It's the only way we get back on track. Recruits follow great QB''s who make everyone around them better.

Clemson-Taj Boyd-Deshaun Watson
Georgia- David Greene Started it then to Matt Stafford
Tennessee- Payton to Tee to Casey
Oklahoma- Baker to Kyler to Jalen
USC- Palmer to Leinhart
Texas- Applewhite/Simms/Young (Similar to us, lately haven't done anything and also haven't had a QB for sh!t)
Baylor in it's prime- RG3 to Stidham
Ohio State- Terrell Pryor, Troy Smith, Braxton Miller, Justin Fields
Oregon- Joey Harrington to Kellen Clemmons to Dennis Dixon to Mariota to Herbert
it's a good point. but i'd put TN's progression all the way back to Andy Kelly, Heath Shuler, Peyton, tee, Casey, Ainge........we had a run from the late 80's thru the mid 2000's where QB really wasn't an "issue", at least not anywhere close to the level we have experienced the last 10 years.

and i don't think he has to be a program changer, a la Peyton Manning/Trevor Lawrence...

but we absolutley have to get out of the funk we're in. i've been saying it for 3 years now....'if JG just doesn't suck out loud...if he can just not be a complete disaster at times....if he were just a serviceable SEC QB"...then we'd probably be ok.

i still can't beleive how many catastrophic plays he's been invovled in while at UT.....just can't.....

Don't take phone with u when u go out. Use your motorcycle or an old car with no computer system in it.
Jk but not really. Sucks man. Feel for ya
I have not downloaded a tracking app. I have heard that some states are asking people to download them.

Dobbs was way more elite than Bray
like, i want to respond to this, and say something in contradiction. then i just think, what's the point. you're talking about two QB's that didn't do a whole lot at TN, but both were more than adequate at what they did.

the only thing i will say, elite arm goes to bray...elite IQ and legs go to Dobbs. other than that....not sure what your really trying to accomplish.

lol.

They are 106-12 since that loss to WVa in the Orange Bowl with 5 playoff appearances, 4 championship games and two chanpionships. Thats crazy.
i remember when that Orange Bowl happened. Clemson fans were like....
giphy.gif

i think it worked out. but at that point in the ACC...the ACC was pretty awful, except for FSU. now the ACC is pretty awful, except for Clemson...Miami and UNC showing signs of life at least....

Reactions: crazyguy
like, i want to respond to this, and say something in contradiction. then i just think, what's the point. you're talking about two QB's that didn't do a whole lot at TN, but both were more than adequate at what they did.

the only thing i will say, elite arm goes to bray...elite IQ and legs go to Dobbs. other than that....not sure what your really trying to accomplish.

lol.

Who has done more than Dobbs the past decade? Barnett and? The bar for "do a whole lot at TN" has shifted significantly since Eric Berry days.

lol.

No doubt Bray had more arm talent but imo made more crucial mistakes that lost games than dobbs.
in the end Dobbs was a winner that willed his team to win a number of games and Bray didn’t do that imo

And I’d argue Dobbs did a whole hell of a lot good for Tenn football.
Agreed Bray didn’t

Am I wrong in thinking the style of offense we run is archaic and Pruitt is living in the past? It worked when Alabama had it several years ago, but times have changed. Unless you have an elite QB, this style does not work as well anymore.

JG is arguably the worst RS SR quarterback Tennessee has ever had, but for a quarterback who knows the playbook this has got to be some of the most predictable offenses I've ever seen.

Now look at Kiffin and Ole Miss. There defense is trash but in his first year he's already implemented a fun and effective offense with a bunch of 3 stars that puts up points and keeps the defense on their feet.

Pruitt knows defense and will get us bigger and stronger and quicker there, but his stubbornness to evolve with the times on offense could be what leads to his downfall.

Too early to tell yet, but there's growing concern... is Jeremy Pruitt our Jim McClewain?

Reactions: Volsdeep4
I just wanted to break it down a little more:

2018:
- WV- 40-14: only 13-7 at half but offense really couldn't get anything going; defense couldn't stop Grier
- UF- 47-21: turnover after turnover early; never had a chance because we gave UF short fields
- UGA- 38-12; offense did nothing; defense did ok; first TD by UGA was on a sack of Fromm and Nauta picked it up and ran 31 yards; bad luck
- Bama- 58-21; couldn't stop them but offense was terrible in first quarter
- Mizzou- 50-17; was 13-10 with 5 minutes left in first half; huge TO late in first half allowed Mizzou to go up 26-10
- Vandy- 38-13; no offense in first half; only UT score through 3rd quarter was long run by Chandler; was only 17-7 at end of 3rd

2019:
- UF- 34-3: JG had 2 INT's in first half; no offense; couldn't recover down 17-0 at half; for those that don't remember, Maurer started 2nd half; Trask had 2 INT's in 3rd quarter but we couldn't do anything
- UGA- 43-14: Maurer started; up 14-10 in early 2nd; offense stalled; missed a FG; UGA up 26-14 at half; Maurer INT and fumble in 2nd half
- Bama- 35-13: we all know about this; Maurer hurt; refs suck; JG went rogue; score really doesn't indicate how they played

2020:
- UGA- 44-21: leading at half, so the start wasn't the problem
- UK- 34-7: turnovers, turnovers, turnovers

When you go back and look at the play by play charts, the striking thing to me is seeing the number of turnovers and 3 and outs on offense. Things that you can't have if you want to win big games or not get blown out by 20+. I am not sure that I would put it all on the team "not being ready to play." I would put alot of it on the offense doing nothing, and the defense just not having much of a chance.
i put it on the fact we don't have any "erasers" yet. or at least no where near enough of them.

our margin of error is so freaking thin. we literally cannot afford mistakes, let a lone game changing turnovers and defensive score type mistakes. we don't have the personnel to overcome the defecits we have created for ourselves in many of those games.

i think the defense by and large usually has done ok, even if not really close to the standards we're used to, or used to be used to anyway....but i think when you look at how some of these games have played out and the score of hte games at half time or even late in the 3rd qtr, you can see critical moments where, like you said, we fail to get that first down, or we have a huge mistake...be it a penalty or a turnover or whatever....that shifts momentum. and at that point in the game...3rd /4th qtr..if we get down by 10+, we're done....

anyway. we need more HT's on defense and more eric grays on offense....and a fg kicker that's all but automatic from 45 in.

ugh. losing a game right before the bama game.....that makes for a long month.

I looked at the depth chart for this week...

If we are to believe these are relevant, there are two details on the offensive chart that are somewhat noteworthy.

QB1 = JG
QB2 = Maurer

I fully expect JG to start. I have felt that was inevitable all along. But QB2 has been Shrout to this point. Maurer moving up is an indicator that he might get snaps. It might also indicate JG will have a short leash.

LT = Wanya OR Jahmir Johnson
LG = Trey
C = Kennedy
RG = Carvin
RT = Cade

I think our best OL combo this year has been Jahmir, Trey, BK, Carvin, and Cade. Jahmir was the starter against USCe until he had whatever health issues he’s had. I really hope we lock in a 5 and chill with all the rotation.

Tennessee is at least contemplating a change at quarterback for Saturday's game against second-ranked Alabama at Neyland Stadium. Head coach Jeremy Pruitt said on the SEC teleconference late Wednesday morning that the Vols have given "several guys" the quarterback reps with the first-team offense this week and will narrow it down as the week progresses. Tennessee played three quarterbacks last week during the 34-7 loss to Kentucky.
-Patrick Brown (247)

At first I thought Smooth Criminal and was going to agree with you. Don't think I had ever heard Smooth Operator. Doesn't sound like I was missing out.
Lol me too. I was going to say...yeah now that you mention in it, when that Smooth Criminal beat kicks in I do feel better about the world.

Reactions: Kristy*
Am I wrong in thinking the style of offense we run is archaic and Pruitt is living in the past? It worked when Chaney was here way back and it worked when Alabama had it several years ago, but times have changed. Unless you have an elite QB, this style does not work as well anymore.

JG is arguably the worst RS SR quarterback Tennessee has ever had, but for a quarterback who knows the playbook this has got to be some of the most predictable offenses I've ever seen.

Now look at Kiffin and Ole Miss. There defense is trash but in his first year he's already implemented a fun and effective offense with a bunch of 3 stars that puts up points and keeps the defense on their feet.

Pruitt knows defense and will get us bigger and stronger and quicker there, but his stubbornness to evolve with the times on offense could be what leads to his downfall.

Too early to tell yet, but there's growing concern... is Jeremy Pruitt our Jim McClewain?

It’s definitely lacking in creativity compared to other offenses. One thing I didn’t expect, and it confuses me some, if why do we run pretty much 100% of our offense from shotgun now? Going under center would give you some different dynamics in the running game and really offer you a much more extensive playbook in the play action passing game. Anyone have thoughts on that?

Reactions: TurnoverTrashCan
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back