Just curious if anyone else...

I wish there was a way to recapture the excitement and anticipation I felt for football as a younger fan. I used to lie awake at night before the Florida and Bama games because I was too apprehensive to sleep. I used to scour the internet on a daily basis for anything Vol - related and spent hours on this message board because it made me feel connected to something I deeply loved. I guess time really is a thief, or maybe age makes me older and wiser - I don't know. I do know I will always be a Vol fan but I won't lose any sleep over the outcomes of their games.

This thread makes me kinda sad.

I agree about lying awake.. But I had to hear things on the radio or , god forbid READ in the Commercial of Tennessean, (late on see on TV sports segments during the news). My message board was conversation with other sports fans here bouts. The problem with that was there were as many (still are) Ole Miss, Bama fans here as there were Vol's fans. Now I don't have to argue with them. That's what your technology has done for me.

Is having trouble really “getting into it” this season? Admittedly politics turned me off of pro sports (along with Peyton’s retirement), but from ‘90 until last year, the Vols’ game made or broke my week. This isn’t political, and I’m really wanting to care, but I just don’t. May just be that the absence of sports brought into focus how trivial it really is, which may be a good thing. Anyone else in my boat?

Heck no, I'm not in your boat... As a matter of fact, I'm thinking of blowing your boat out of the water! Get that Debbie Downer business out of here.

Just my own self appraisal..... When younger I lived and died with Vol football. As I have gotten older not so much. Just enjoying living too much to worry about the outcome of a football game. They still get my heart rate up and my mad up during the games, but usually get over it (win or lose) by midway of the next televised college game being played. I think what I am saying is "maybe you are getting a little older". Payton played here quite a few years ago (over 20!!) for me that's just yesterday (about a 1/3 of my life time) maybe not near so for you,,,,, but maybe you are beginning to live your age.;)
I’m just a few years younger than Peyton, so unfortunately that means I’m getting old(er) 😬. Stinks too since we’ve got a hometown guy starting up there.

I wish I could quote all of you, I too have lost so many the last two years, my brother and my sister, both in their 50s, my dad, my brother lost his wife, she was also in her 50s. It’s not nearly as important. I still watch, not all, but most, and I check on scores when I’m away if I can, but there are other things as equally important, if not more. I don’t have heartburn and an upset stomach every Saturday.
Heaven can wait, but I can’t!

Reactions: volcs
If I were a Florida fan or something maybe.....but I’m a Vol fan I’m always into it. They could lose every game and I would be excited about the next one.......hey....at least I could bitch about it, if nothing else.

I'm actually a bit more engaged with this season than the past few, but I'm really in the same boat.

After Peyton retired, I came to realize that I no longer belonged to any NFL tribe. I couldn't find any compelling reason to root for any team or player over another.

My wife died, and after that so many sports we had enjoyed together immediately--and to my surprise, having been a fan for years before meeting her--lost meaning: golf, football, PBR, NASCAR, etc.

I came to a similar perspective: these things just aren't that important in life. They become special because of the people, not the competition. Nowdays, I can't imagine how I ever had time to watch so much sports!

The Vols are my only tribe now, football and basketball. But I prefer to watch the football on replay online (cut the cable and didn't replace it---300 channels of stuff that took my time but left me little in exchange for it).

My life ultimately (hopefully) means more than entertainment. And life is always slipping away. If I was sharing those games with some special person, they would certainly mean more. But I have x-years left to accomplish whatever of lasting importance or good I can. If I have to choose on a given Saturday, I will invest in the future rather than indulge the past.

As much fun as it is to be a Vols fan... I'm confident heaven has never heard uttered the words, "Wonder how the Vols did down there Saturday?"

I think it is OK to have hobbies, and not be serious all of the time, but wow, what a great post!

I'm actually a bit more engaged with this season than the past few, but I'm really in the same boat.

After Peyton retired, I came to realize that I no longer belonged to any NFL tribe. I couldn't find any compelling reason to root for any team or player over another.

My wife died, and after that so many sports we had enjoyed together immediately--and to my surprise, having been a fan for years before meeting her--lost meaning: golf, football, PBR, NASCAR, etc.

I came to a similar perspective: these things just aren't that important in life. They become special because of the people, not the competition. Nowdays, I can't imagine how I ever had time to watch so much sports!

The Vols are my only tribe now, football and basketball. But I prefer to watch the football on replay online (cut the cable and didn't replace it---300 channels of stuff that took my time but left me little in exchange for it).

My life ultimately (hopefully) means more than entertainment. And life is always slipping away. If I was sharing those games with some special person, they would certainly mean more. But I have x-years left to accomplish whatever of lasting importance or good I can. If I have to choose on a given Saturday, I will invest in the future rather than indulge the past.

As much fun as it is to be a Vols fan... I'm confident heaven has never heard uttered the words, "Wonder how the Vols did down there Saturday?"
Very well said, and appreciated.

I would only offer one amendment, and one correction.

The amendment: sometimes, a pastime (like being a Vol fan) can be a way of remembering and celebrating others. Like the people who gave you the fever. Or it can be a bittersweet way of staying connected to someone you've lost, by doing in memory of them what you did with them while they were here.,

Both of those apply to my relationship with my dad, who we lost about a year and a half ago. This is my second football season without him, and I find myself smiling thinking about what he would've said at a particular point, how happy he would have been at a certain outcome, how much we would have grinned at each other at various times during a game.

I'm still incredibly strongly tied to the Vols, and will be for life. Even after my mom and dad, the two people with whom I most closely identify Volunteer fandom, are both gone (thankfully, my mom still watches with me, every Saturday). I'll be cheering our lads on to the very last Saturday I'm drawing breath. And my memories of my parents will be right there beside me.

And the correction: there most definitely are folks up in heaven asking about the game. Heck, my old man is almost certainly watching from up there. He wouldn't miss it for all the clouds in the infinite sky.

If they never ask the specific question you mention, "how did those Vols do?" it's only because they have free cable and get to watch it live.

GO Vols!

Reactions: tbh and mercuryvol
I agree about lying awake.. But I had to hear things on the radio or , god forbid READ in the Commercial of Tennessean, (late on see on TV sports segments during the news). My message board was conversation with other sports fans here bouts. The problem with that was there were as many (still are) Ole Miss, Bama fans here as there were Vol's fans. Now I don't have to argue with them. That's what your technology has done for me.
Living as close as we do to the Alabama state line, we will always have Bammer bandwagoners to put up with, especially the Walnut Grove folks. I will never understand why anyone born in Tennessee could possibly root for any team other than the Vols.

The only reason I’m having trouble getting into it is because we’re playing the same qb (that’s not very good) for what seems like his 7th season. But even in spite of that I’m jacked up for tomorrow!

Reactions: Offset Eye
Living as close as we do to the Alabama state line, we will always have Bammer bandwagoners to put up with, especially the Walnut Grove folks. I will never understand why anyone born in Tennessee could possibly root for any team other than the Vols.
Several Savannah folks...

Walnut Grove!?! Walnut Grove!!? you mean in the upper end (south from Savannah) of Hardin/Wayne Co.???

Is having trouble really “getting into it” this season? Admittedly politics turned me off of pro sports (along with Peyton’s retirement), but from ‘90 until last year, the Vols’ game made or broke my week. This isn’t political, and I’m really wanting to care, but I just don’t. May just be that the absence of sports brought into focus how trivial it really is, which may be a good thing. Anyone else in my boat?
I have written off US pro sports and focus on college sports and international rugby. The only NFL things in my home now are a Tampa hat from 06 and a Witten breast cancer Jersey that my daughter has claimed.

VN Store

Back