Just curious if anyone else...

Orangepantsforever

Is having trouble really “getting into it” this season? Admittedly politics turned me off of pro sports (along with Peyton’s retirement), but from ‘90 until last year, the Vols’ game made or broke my week. This isn’t political, and I’m really wanting to care, but I just don’t. May just be that the absence of sports brought into focus how trivial it really is, which may be a good thing. Anyone else in my boat?

Is having trouble really “getting into it” this season? Admittedly politics turned me off of pro sports (along with Peyton’s retirement), but from ‘90 until last year, the Vols’ game made or broke my week. This isn’t political, and I’m really wanting to care, but I just don’t. May just be that the absence of sports brought into focus how trivial it really is, which may be a good thing. Anyone else in my boat?

No trouble at all, I’ve been so pumped about this season. It may have been pre season expectation. I didn’t expect to have football this year, so come Saturday I’m usually giddy with excitement.

I definitely watch far less sports now. I used to watch college, nfl, the preds, nba during the finals. Now I haven’t watched the nfl, didn’t watch the nhl when it returned, not a second of the nba and I really don’t miss any of it.

I definitely watch far less sports now. I used to watch college, nfl, the preds, nba during the finals. Now I haven’t watched the nfl, didn’t watch the nhl when it returned, not a second of the nba and I really don’t miss any of it.
I used to watch a lot more NBA as well. The politics got outrageous this season, couldn't watch it

I'm with you and slowly reached this point over the last 4 years. I believe it corresponds with my age (over 50), low expectations for the Vols, and paying attention to more important things in life. I've almost stopped watching games live and just DVR them so I can fast forward through the commercials, half time, and, if we're falling far behind, the offensive series from the opposing teams. Frankly, it's been a huge positive for my relationships not to be so rabid about UT football. Enjoy!

You are not alone! I wanted to start the same thread. I have barely been on the football board. I don't keep up with stats, read any bulletin board articles nor miss going to the games. Sports is just not make or break like it used to be. This is Georgia week with a chance to go 3-0. A lot of it could be the energy being sucked out by 2020.

No trouble at all, I’ve been so pumped about this season. It may have been pre season expectation. I didn’t expect to have football this year, so come Saturday I’m usually giddy with excitement.
Send me a dose of what you’re having. I REALLY want to feel that excitement. I miss being purely elated with a win and P.O.’d with a loss.

You are not alone! I wanted to start the same thread. I have barely been on the football board. I don't keep up with stats, read any bulletin board articles nor miss going to the games. Sports is just not make or break like it used to be. This is Georgia week with a chance to go 3-0. A lot of it could be the energy being sucked out by 2020.
I stay on Volnation constantly myself.....but under the Political board 😬. But all of the opt outs and, correct me if I’m wrong, the fact that this year doesn’t count against eligibility makes it feel like an asterisk year. Watch UT go and run the table in “the-year-that-won’t-count” 😂

Reactions: tbh and BreatheUT
I stay on Volnation constantly myself.....but under the Political board 😬. But all of the opt outs and, correct me if I’m wrong, the fact that this year doesn’t count against eligibility makes it feel like an asterisk year. Watch UT go and run the table in “the-year-that-won’t-count” 😂

I haven't watched SEC Nation all week. They have to be talking about this game. My interest has almost reduced to Saturday's.

After this weekend your "Battered Vols Syndrome" will be laid to rest!

Y’all need to get hobbies and stiffen yourselves up as Vol fans. If you can’t get into all the good that’s happening not only in our football program but our basketball & baseball programs..then you need your Vol card revoked. Buncha crybaby pantywastes

I abandoned quite a few sports over the years including NASCAR. Didn't even watch that much Olympics last few years.

Still watch some NFL and I live for College Football and the Vols.

Starting to pick up a little Vol Bball too, but mostly just follow the stats

Reactions: SaipanVol
I've been excited about the season but definitely have adjusted expectations considering all the crazy circumstances with COVID. Positive tests and quarantines can change a team from one week to the next, so there's an element of the unknown with each game. I'm definitely not tuning out this season, but I feel different about it this year.

Y’all need to get hobbies and stiffen yourselves up as Vol fans. If you can’t get into all the good that’s happening not only in our football program but our basketball & baseball programs..then you need your Vol card revoked. Buncha crybaby pantywastes
Call me crazy, but if it’s got to be my life in order to be a fan, then I’m gladly turning in my “Vol Card”. And I’d put my knowledge of Vol football and general fandom of the past 30 years up against anyone. And I’m 41, so I can well remember the events of the past 30 years. Probably been to 90 games, home and away, since 1996.

Reactions: tbh and BreatheUT
There is a surreal feeling about this year but I’ve actually weaned off over the last few years. Last years start broke me. I turned off the FL after 1st Q amd told my wife to consider Saturday’s open. We would go hiking or something if the weather was nice. Family movie nights or whatever. I would peak at the scores and watch highlights on my phone just before bed but making the games a priority came to an end. I came back around toward the end of the season mostly because we had several night games.

That said, I did go hiking last Sat but I am excited about UGA game. I think we have a real shot to pull off the upset. I will watch that one live.

I'm actually a bit more engaged with this season than the past few, but I'm really in the same boat.

After Peyton retired, I came to realize that I no longer belonged to any NFL tribe. I couldn't find any compelling reason to root for any team or player over another.

My wife died, and after that so many sports we had enjoyed together immediately--and to my surprise, having been a fan for years before meeting her--lost meaning: golf, football, PBR, NASCAR, etc.

I came to a similar perspective: these things just aren't that important in life. They become special because of the people, not the competition. Nowdays, I can't imagine how I ever had time to watch so much sports!

The Vols are my only tribe now, football and basketball. But I prefer to watch the football on replay online (cut the cable and didn't replace it---300 channels of stuff that took my time but left me little in exchange for it).

My life ultimately (hopefully) means more than entertainment. And life is always slipping away. If I was sharing those games with some special person, they would certainly mean more. But I have x-years left to accomplish whatever of lasting importance or good I can. If I have to choose on a given Saturday, I will invest in the future rather than indulge the past.

As much fun as it is to be a Vols fan... I'm confident heaven has never heard uttered the words, "Wonder how the Vols did down there Saturday?"

I'm actually a bit more engaged with this season than the past few, but I'm really in the same boat.

After Peyton retired, I came to realize that I no longer belonged to any NFL tribe. I couldn't find any compelling reason to root for any team or player over another.

My wife died, and after that so many sports we had enjoyed together immediately--and to my surprise, having been a fan for years before meeting her--lost meaning: golf, football, PBR, NASCAR, etc.

I came to a similar perspective: these things just aren't that important in life. They become special because of the people, not the competition. Nowdays, I can't imagine how I ever had time to watch so much sports!

The Vols are my only tribe now, football and basketball. But I prefer to watch the football on replay online (cut the cable and didn't replace it---300 channels of stuff that took my time but left me little in exchange for it).

My life ultimately (hopefully) means more than entertainment. And life is always slipping away. If I was sharing those games with some special person, they would certainly mean more. But I have x-years left to accomplish whatever of lasting importance or good I can. If I have to choose on a given Saturday, I will invest in the future rather than indulge the past.

As much fun as it is to be a Vols fan... I'm confident heaven has never heard uttered the words, "Wonder how the Vols did down there Saturday?"
Amen. This world holds nothing for us. My kids have gone from baby beds to elementary school in a blink. Energy wasted on watching grown ups play kids games is just that...a waste.

This is me except I watch college hoops, baseball, and softball. I'm enjoying the college football season so far and looking forward to an upset Saturday. Kirby can have his team sky high this Saturday or next but can't do it back to back. I'm thinking he believes he can get by us as is knowing he has to have his troops at their peak for Bama. and we get 'em.

Reactions: BreatheUT
I’m not full yet. I still prefer some more helpings of Vol football. The action of the game is the best part. When two good teams get after it really showing off the talent that it takes to play football at such a competitive level that’s easy to watch. I enjoy watching the big hits the most. Even though there is an effort to tame football, there is still plenty of extraordinary plays to watch. Brandon’s one handed catch was for real. Some of the moves from EG are fantastic.

The Vols are about to be tested by Georgia. I expect a good showing and a victory.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Agreed, you're not alone ...

I also DVR everything. I hate commercials ( esp Leaf Guard ) and like to replay as many times as I want. So, still mostly enthusiastic. Football is winter's only redeeming factor to me. After bowl season I just check out. This year ... meh.

The point I want to make is that we are all tired of COVID infecting every aspect of our lives. It has diminished almost everything that we enjoy. The "buzz" will return but for now it's barely a hum.

One thing for sure ... a couple of signature VOL wins and we will all feel better!

I'm way more into sports than I normally am. The absence of sports for months made me hungrier for them. I typically only watch college football and NBA regularly, but am watching baseball and even bad NFL games this year. Albeit, the Braves playing well has made baseball way more interesting for me.

Life’s not that serious ... unless your a billionaire politics shouldn’t really matter that much. We will be ok either way.. we only got a certain amount of time to watch Vol football. Enjoy it

I’ve missed the other games that we lost, but I’m still into this season. I look forward to going back to having OOC games even against smaller schools. I might be in the minority but I enjoy them, obviously the big OOC matchups but even the mid major games I always look forward too.

VN Store

Back