Just curious if anyone else...

I think a lot of it has to do with age. The older you get, it seems sports goes down the list of priorities.

When I was in my 20's and 30's, I would never miss a VoL or Steeler game. Now that I'm in my 50's, I'll watch it if I happen to be home. I don't plan around it anymore. I honestly can't stand going to football games anymore except high school games. I'd rather watch from Home.

The weirdest part for me this year was there wasn’t that big anticipation of opening weekend for all conferences kicking off. It’s been “phased in” instead and I think has diluted the excitement for most. That and not having the weekday MACtion just makes it feel odd.

I wish there was a way to recapture the excitement and anticipation I felt for football as a younger fan. I used to lie awake at night before the Florida and Bama games because I was too apprehensive to sleep. I used to scour the internet on a daily basis for anything Vol - related and spent hours on this message board because it made me feel connected to something I deeply loved. I guess time really is a thief, or maybe age makes me older and wiser - I don't know. I do know I will always be a Vol fan but I won't lose any sleep over the outcomes of their games.

This thread makes me kinda sad.

After this weekend your "Battered Vols Syndrome" will be laid to rest!
I would hope you are right but I have a suspicion some will start to rumble about Pruitt going to Bama after Saban retires LOL. The BVS will last a long, long time after what we have been through. We just need to be able to recognize it for what it is and fight the urge.

I think a lot of it has to do with age. The older you get, it seems sports goes down the list of priorities.

When I was in my 20's and 30's, I would never miss a VoL or Steeler game. Now that I'm in my 50's, I'll watch it if I happen to be home. I don't plan around it anymore. I honestly can't stand going to football games anymore except high school games. I'd rather watch from Home.
I don't think it's age. I'm older than you, and still feel just as strongly about the Vols as I did when I was 20.

It's just a personal evolution, OP. Everyone's different. Some folks stay hooked on sports their entire lives. For others, it comes and goes. Don't look for any outside cause affecting all of us in the same way.

If you ask 20 people the question, you might get 2 or 3 who say, "whoa, yeah, me too!" If you pay attention only to them, you'll come to believe there's some wider trend going on. Something outside yourself. But another 2 or 3 people might say, "no, just the opposite for me, I've gotten more interested lately." And you'll get a lot who report no change in their interest level.

So just look to yourself, don't expect a broader trend.

And, importantly: If you want to reverse the trend, you can do that. Interest in hobbies can, to an extent, be controlled by conscious choice.

Go Vols!

I'd planned on coming back to the States around Bama week this year (friend's wedding would have been the week prior), but then the world had other plans and now I'm in Osaka as a typhoon bears down. Perfect excuse to stay in and watch the Vols!

Whether NBA, NFL, or VOLS, I've still been engaged but definitey not as into it as usual. Watching on TV, a crowd roar still gets you pretty hyped up. This year, sumthin's diffrunt.

I wish there was a way to recapture the excitement and anticipation I felt for football as a younger fan. I used to lie awake at night before the Florida and Bama games because I was too apprehensive to sleep. I used to scour the internet on a daily basis for anything Vol - related and spent hours on this message board because it made me feel connected to something I deeply loved. I guess time really is a thief, or maybe age makes me older and wiser - I don't know. I do know I will always be a Vol fan but I won't lose any sleep over the outcomes of their games.

This thread makes me kinda sad.
I don’t want to trivialize grief, because we’ve all been there, but it has been kind of like a grieving process. I know that sounds silly, but it’s been like dealing with a personal loss to me. I’ll always be curious of outcomes and tune into games if it happens to be convenient, but I think the excitement is gone for good for me. Won’t be going to a game this year for the first time since ‘95 and, besides the pleasure of getting to miss work on a few Saturdays, I don’t miss it.

Reactions: 08Vol
Is having trouble really “getting into it” this season? Admittedly politics turned me off of pro sports (along with Peyton’s retirement), but from ‘90 until last year, the Vols’ game made or broke my week. This isn’t political, and I’m really wanting to care, but I just don’t. May just be that the absence of sports brought into focus how trivial it really is, which may be a good thing. Anyone else in my boat?
After 2017 nothings been the same for me. Now, watching games with cardboard cutouts and fake noise pumped through the speakers is a little more exciting than driving a Honda Civic with a Ferrari body kit.

Since the three coaching debacles, my interest in UT football has decreased. I felt that if the Administration didn't care what happened to the football program then why should I put my emotions and interest in it either. I feel like @LadyinOrange does. I couldn't eat an hour or so before the game 'cause my stomach was churning. I will be a Vol fan till I die, but if I miss a game, I won't be devitated (SP) like I used to be. My family doesn't understand that either lol.

Reactions: 08Vol and tbh
I thought I would have a hard time getting back into it.

But, my blood is orange. When the Vols hit the field I was as fired up as I always am. And as long as they keep politics out of it, I will feel the same way when the Vols hit the court.

That being said, I could care less about pro sports. I believe that the NCAA and the SEC have done a pretty good job of keeping politics to a minimum. I don’t know about you but when I watch sports or go to an entertainment event it is to escape the outside world. When I watch a game I feel like a kid again, laying on my bed with the radio on listening to John Ward. I don’t need reminders, real or exaggerated, of all of the crap that is going on. I get that the other six days and 27 hours.

Still bleed orange and am diehard for any team wearing the power T. Still love the NHL and am kinda meh with the NFL but always have the tv on if there is a game being played. Have zero interest in the NBA, NASCAR or MLB, anymore.
GBO!!

Is having trouble really “getting into it” this season? Admittedly politics turned me off of pro sports (along with Peyton’s retirement), but from ‘90 until last year, the Vols’ game made or broke my week. This isn’t political, and I’m really wanting to care, but I just don’t. May just be that the absence of sports brought into focus how trivial it really is, which may be a good thing. Anyone else in my boat?
I'm with you completely. This year has refocused my life and brought into perspective what's actually important and what's not. I'm still pulling for the Vols and making time for discussion BUT the "insignificants" of sports has been laid like a diamond on velvet blue jewelry clothe. NBA and NFL has been gone from my radar for several years now because of the assumption that they can "preach" their politics to me so that hasn't been an issue. Probably NEVER go back to that type of sports. College athletics is teetering on the proverbial edge as well. Having lived as long as I have and seen the aggressive take over of sports by the "progressives" the way they've taken over the entertainment industry, our educational system at every level, and fighting like a caged animal to control our courts and our every day lives (yeah I know I'm stepping on toes but it directly effects my answer to the OP) I just don't have the zeal for even college sports like I once did. My pocketbook really has benefitted from this years lack of sports too:D:D . Hopefully that's an honest answer to your honest question!

Since the three coaching debacles, my interest in UT football has decreased. I felt that if the Administration didn't care what happened to the football program then why should I put my emotions and interest in it either. I feel like @LadyinOrange does. I couldn't eat an hour or so before the game 'cause my stomach was churning. I will be a Vol fan till I die, but if I miss a game, I won't be devitated (SP) like I used to be. My family doesn't understand that either lol.

It was the slow erosion of interest over the years as both the Administration and the program choked away opportunities for the past 10+ years along with this year being an 'asterisk year' that did it for me...I guess I'm in the "excitement has waned" crowd too. These days, it's great when the Vols win, and if I don't have anything else going on, I'll block off a few hours to tune in to the games. For me, it's just not a top priority or the highlight of the weekend anymore. When the weather's favorable, I'd prefer to get outside and go hiking or fishing, honestly.

Reactions: beachmaster
I'm with you completely. This year has refocused my life and brought into perspective what's actually important and what's not. I'm still pulling for the Vols and making time for discussion BUT the "insignificants" of sports has been laid like a diamond on velvet blue jewelry clothe. NBA and NFL has been gone from my radar for several years now because of the assumption that they can "preach" their politics to me so that hasn't been an issue. Probably NEVER go back to that type of sports. College athletics is teetering on the proverbial edge as well. Having lived as long as I have and seen the aggressive take over of sports by the "progressives" the way they've taken over the entertainment industry, our educational system at every level, and fighting like a caged animal to control our courts and our every day lives (yeah I know I'm stepping on toes but it directly effects my answer to the OP) I just don't have the zeal for even college sports like I once did. My pocketbook really has benefitted from this years lack of sports too:D:D . Hopefully that's an honest answer to your honest question!
100% spot on to me.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Send me a dose of what you’re having. I REALLY want to feel that excitement. I miss being purely elated with a win and P.O.’d with a loss.
I am just as passionate as ever. I hope you regain your enthusiasm. It’s my dad’s team and his dad’s team, and his dad’s dad’s team. It’ll be my sons team, I don’t know what I can tell you to make you get into it again. I honestly feel sorta bad for you man ( I don’t mean that in a snarky way )

I am just as passionate as ever. I hope you regain your enthusiasm. It’s my dad’s team and his dad’s team, and his dad’s dad’s team. It’ll be my sons team, I don’t know what I can tell you to make you get into it again. I honestly feel sorta bad for you man ( I don’t mean that in a snarky way )
Yeah, it stinks. All of the time I used to spend on UT football media coverage is now spent watching world events and politics. And that just leaves me depressed and pissed off.

Reactions: 08Vol
Covid realigned my priorities and when sports started back up the lack of fans in the stands didn’t bother me in the least. Now I’m really starting to notice the lack of atmosphere especially with the nba and Mlb playoffs going on.

So yea those factors figure into my lack of watching sports much more so than politics

Yeah, it stinks. All of the time I used to spend on UT football media coverage is now spent watching world events and politics. And that just leaves me depressed and pissed off.

Don’t watch that shite. Politics is naught but rank hypocrisy on both sides. Go out and volunteer in your community. Give blood, count votes, drive a school bus, spend time at the boys/girls club, or something.

After that, ball is in perspective because you’re not expecting it to fulfill you. It’s amazing how entertaining ball becomes when you have no expectation but entertainment.

Just my own self appraisal..... When younger I lived and died with Vol football. As I have gotten older not so much. Just enjoying living too much to worry about the outcome of a football game. They still get my heart rate up and my mad up during the games, but usually get over it (win or lose) by midway of the next televised college game being played. I think what I am saying is "maybe you are getting a little older". Payton played here quite a few years ago (over 20!!) for me that's just yesterday (about a 1/3 of my life time) maybe not near so for you,,,,, but maybe you are beginning to live your age.;)

Reactions: tbh and tennrich1

VN Store

Back