Who will be the qb this year?

Yeah, no thanks. That was musical chairs including Clausen that year because the qbs struggled. Look at the roster of that team and compare it to now, different level, you could roll the dice with a freshman and win 10 games then which we can’t right now. Great example not to throw HB in personally.
I didn't say I wanted that situation. I was just stating a fact that we've had guys that have come in and played as true freshman. Gurantano is FCS quality. From what I hear about Bailey's practices, he's the real deal. Get him out there NOW!

I didn't say I wanted that situation. I was just stating a fact that we've had guys that have come in and played as true freshman. Gurantano is FCS quality. From what I hear about Bailey's practices, he's the real deal. Get him out there NOW!
What are you “hearing” that we’re not?

Last season we actually heard of a quarterback competition even if it wasn't close. This year we've heard nothing about a competition only who is the second and third guy. JG is the stater

COVID changed everything. The lack of practices, scrimmages and probably the ability to make real evaluations for making drastic changes.

I just with someone would come out and say" JG is really on another level throwing the ball...he has made leaps from last year " or something of the sort ..all we hear are about his leadership...CJP, CJC. Brandon johnson...he can lead all he wants..but f'n i wanna know if he can pass better!!!

You lose all credibility to say anything when you say “Guarantano is FCS quality”. If you know so much about baileys practice performances then you would also know how good JG has been.

You lose all credibility to say anything when you say “Guarantano is FCS quality”. If you know so much about baileys practice performances then you would also know how good JG has been.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
JG has always been good at practices. What he doesn't have are anticipation and throwing receivers open. Never has been able to do either and those aren't qualities you learn in practice

I don't care to have credibility with you

He may not be FCS quality, bet there are very few P5 schools that would start JG, and even fewer SEC schools that would have started him during his time at TN given his level of play.

You look at a team like Alabama and Georgia, moving on from QBs like Eason and Hurts, and our staff is spending an entire spring and summer trying to get a RS Junior "ready", to only have to bench him by game 4.

JG has always been good at practices. What he doesn't have are anticipation and throwing receivers open. Never has been able to do either and those aren't qualities you learn in practice

I don't care to have credibility with you

You actually do learn those qualities threw practice though. QBs and WRs build trust via practice so they can make that very anticipation throw you speak of. Continuity is built via practice and prep, year 2 in Chaney’s system is showing that the guys are comfortable in the offense finally

You actually do learn those qualities threw practice though. QBs and WRs build trust via practice so they can make that very anticipation throw you speak of. Continuity is built via practice and prep, year 2 in Chaney’s system is showing that the guys are comfortable in the offense finally

Practice is never at the same speed and pressure as a real game. That's JG's issue, his internal clock is still on practice time during the game; there's most likely no fixing that for him at this point in his QB career.

He may not be FCS quality, bet there are very few P5 schools that would start JG, and even fewer SEC schools that would have started him during his time at TN given his level of play.

You look at a team like Alabama and Georgia, moving on from QBs like Eason and Hurts, and our staff is spending an entire spring and summer trying to get a RS Junior "ready", to only have to bench him by game 4.
Took until the second half of the championship game for Saban to “move on” from Hurts.

Reactions: swampfoxfan

The huge difference is the playmakers Alabama and Georgia have around there QBs though. JG is no joe burrow for sure, but in The right system he can thrive. For the money their paying Chaney, I feel like he can come up with a good plan for JG to be successful. We’ve never seen JG play behind such a talented o line, add in the running game and there are a lot of areas JG has solid help in this year versus not having that in previous years.

Timing is achieved by practice. Having the mental acumen to pull the trigger or throw receivers open isn't something that's easily learned

Practice is never at the same speed and pressure as a real game. That's JG's issue, his internal clock is still on practice time during the game; there's most likely no fixing that for him at this point in his QB career.

I’d say that’s because of lackluster o line play that he had to deal with in his career. That ish broke all his timing, I agree.

Your evaluation loses all credibility with your weak arm assessment. JG has the arm to make every throw, it's actually one of his best traits. Your take is awful if you are saying he has a weak arm.
Exactly. I stopped reading at the arm strength comment. Figured the poster was maybe 12-13.

I’d say that’s because of lackluster o line play that he had to deal with in his career. That ish broke all his timing, I agree.

Lack of protection in 2017 was a factor, but not through most of 2018, and relatively none of 2019. Last season especially, he had more than enough time, and for the most part it seemed to just increase the likelihood that he was going to hold the ball too long.

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
Dunno how that would account for him holding onto the ball for a generation..... you’d think with lackluster o-line play you would get the ball out quicker so you didn’t get killed.

Reactions: 4chrissy
The huge difference is the playmakers Alabama and Georgia have around there QBs though. JG is no joe burrow for sure, but in The right system he can thrive. For the money their paying Chaney, I feel like he can come up with a good plan for JG to be successful. We’ve never seen JG play behind such a talented o line, add in the running game and there are a lot of areas JG has solid help in this year versus not having that in previous years.

That the point though. The other program that we are competing with, are not stopping trying to recruit and develop better QBs than the ones on their roster, while we are spending all of the time and resources possible, to try to "fix" JG, just to get him to a point of consistent serviceability. It's been detrimental to the development of the entire QB room, and at some point recruits are going to start to notice.

VN Store

Back