Can JT Shrout take the # 2 QB Spot?

Like I said, your tone has changed a bunch. Keep spinning it spinner!
Not spinning. I've never rooted against a Vol being successful... and that did not change with JG. You are just evading a legitimate criticism and concern about his ability. You turn criticism on young guys for their mistakes then "spin" the failures of an experienced player. Why?

I don't have much to go on with Shrout except it was obvious that the staff did not trust his grasp of the offense.

BM was significantly limited by knowledge of the O as well but was quick and decisive enough to apparently show some "upside" vs JG when he replaced him. No one can know for sure... but he likely would have remained the starter and been "coached up" over the course of the season if he could have stayed healthy.

Here are the specific concerns/criticisms I have for him. He could be susceptible to head injuries. He's now slowed by a leg injury... is he injury prone? Some guys just are.... just like some guys don't have as much abstract "vision" as others. BM's decisions were often not good. The two throws vs MSU were terrible. On one, he decided before the play he was throwing to Jennings and did not "read" what was happening. He had MC open short for the TD.

He had early success with RPO's in part because he's quick and doesn't hesitate. He has a good arm and the ability to hit tight windows with snap throws. But he became too easy to fool later in the season like in the UK game.... and he seemed to start reading "throw" all the time.

The reason I do not spend a ton of time talking about this is that virtually no one denies Maurer has weaknesses or says he played consistently well last year. Not even 1vol8. But REASONABLE people do not judge a true Fr that is forced to play too early with a 4th year Jr who has weaknesses that should have already been resolved if he's able.

I have operators that work at my plant. Their job is to read ever changing trend lines and make adjustments to systems to keep the plant in balance and running efficiently. The best operators learn to anticipate problems then know when to implement adjustments. We do not expect our new operators to do this as well as guys who have been around a couple of years. We do not come down on them if they read the trends incorrectly or read them correctly and make the wrong adjustment or make it at the wrong time. We expect mistakes and some that might cost us 10's of thousands of dollars. Just a reality. We train those guys.

Some guys no matter how hard they try do not have the abstract reasoning to envision/anticipate the changes needed. They can do other things for us... but they cannot operate the plant.

If we get to year 2 or 3 and a guy still cannot keep the plant in balance/optimized... they have to go. Not because they're bad guys but because the team cannot afford someone that holds them back. It certainly isn't because I "hate" them or want them to fail.

That's where I think JG is. I think he's a very good kid. I just believe he's more of a concrete, deliberate thinker than an abstract or instinctive thinker. Nothing wrong with that except it does not work well as a QB in a league that plays at the speed of the SEC.

I would LOVE to be wrong... but I do not think I am based on the last 4 years.

I hope he's not as slow to evade pressure as Roethlisberger. I think he's way behind the other QBs because of no spring ball, and missing multiple weeks of fall camp. Doesn't matter what skill set he has, he's behind the system 8 ball compared to our other QBs who've been in the system.
If you don't like Roethlisberger you're not going to like HB as they possess similar skillsets. He's a big strong kid with a good head on his shoulders and a ton of bigtime HS experience, I think he'll be fine and will play every chance they get to play him this season.

Lots of average teams in the country, how many of them won 6 games in a row at any point of their season? Average teams don't win that way very often and they almost never do that in the SEC. We were an above average team last year.
LOL@U... and you accuse others of "spinning". You are deluded. How many of those "average" teams got USCe (4-8), UAB, UK (8-5), MU (6-6 and not bowl eligible), Vandy (3-9), and IU (8-5) in six consecutive games?

I am happy they made the run. Certainly better than losing to any of those teams. But when the strongest team you face in a six week span is UK... that's not an incredibly tough run.

Interesting how you always want to dishonestly parse facts and dispense with the inconvenient ones. "Above average teams" do not get curb stomped by every "above average" or better team they face. They don't lose to bad BYU or GSU teams. They do not need a desperate comeback to beat a relatively untalented IU team. They don't struggle passing against a pretty terrible Vandy team. They ARE able to put up 30+ offensive points against an FBS opponent at least ONCE....

LOL@U... and you accuse others of "spinning". You are deluded. How many of those "average" teams got USCe (4-8), UAB, UK (8-5), MU (6-6 and not bowl eligible), Vandy (3-9), and IU (8-5) in six consecutive games?

I am happy they made the run. Certainly better than losing to any of those teams. But when the strongest team you face in a six week span is UK... that's not an incredibly tough run.

Interesting how you always want to dishonestly parse facts and dispense with the inconvenient ones. "Above average teams" do not get curb stomped by every "above average" or better team they face. They don't lose to bad BYU or GSU teams. They do not need a desperate comeback to beat a relatively untalented IU team. They don't struggle passing against a pretty terrible Vandy team. They ARE able to put up 30+ offensive points against an FBS opponent at least ONCE....
Previous seasons we got run by the Mizzou’s and Vandy’s...it was better. Plus any mediocre running back became a consensus AA running against us. Shut the top rusher in the SEC down with extreme prejudice (Kaylin Hill) and made every back hereafter their beyotch...also better.

Shrout was good last yr. one bad throw...it wasnt even picked......
Shrout looks great throwing the ball. It seems he has lagged in learning the playbook and in understanding reads.

I remember two years ago Pruitt saying he anticipated throws better than JG or KC. He definitely has the natural passing talent.

Y'all remember when Maurer was supposed to be "the guy"?
Not knocking him, just a reminder of how the backup QB is always everyone's favorite player.
My "favorite" QB is the one who is effective and leads the team to wins. Period. My only "problems" with JG stem from him not doing that.

Other than some sparks that got many excited... I honestly don't remember a lot of people saying that Maurer was "supposed to be the guy". He got hurt too often. He's hurt again with a different injury. I like him. I like all of them. But he wouldn't be the first promising player who was just too injury prone to become a great player.

Again, I see promise in all of the young guys and hold out just a tiny sliver of hope that the lights will finally come on for JG. But any idea of BM being the "guy" had the brakes thrown with the two picks vs MSU. He MAY become the guy... but it will take much better decisions than those.

Name me a current successful QB who didn’t get the ball to his weapons so that they couldn’t get yards after the catch. Ying and yang of it. I don’t agree that ANY QB would have been as successful. I can’t give you a list of names who had elite targets but couldn’t feed them...because they didn’t make names for themselves. And gracias for the generalization “you guys”...not condescending at all.

You should watch the championship game...he threw 6 yard outs that turned into 45 yard gains

Do you not agree that Marietta was much more talented?? Regardless of rankings...i mean white and gilbert were yards beyond thier secondary multiple time...and gilbert was jogging a couple times. Lol
No they weren't. Just much better coached.

Reactions: butchna
Bailey will redhsirt. If anybody else gets QB time besides JG it will be JT Shrout. BM will never beat out Shrout for the #2 spot. Before, they gave BM unfair advantage, but now they've seen both in this system both season and offseason and its a wrap for BM unless something miraculous happens. I saw the difference last yr. The star ratings are meaningless once on campus!
Never beat him out?? Did you miss all of 2019 hahaha. Wtf dude.

Bailey will redhsirt. If anybody else gets QB time besides JG it will be JT Shrout. BM will never beat out Shrout for the #2 spot. Before, they gave BM unfair advantage, but now they've seen both in this system both season and offseason and its a wrap for BM unless something miraculous happens. I saw the difference last yr. The star ratings are meaningless once on campus!
ALSO. Redshirt our 5 star QB??? Get a clue man!

I thought this year didn't count against eligibility so no one has to red shirt.

ALSO. Redshirt our 5 star QB??? Get a clue man!

Ha, you must not have figured out Pruitt yet.
Also, reading comprehension will take u far. I said BM was given time....an unfair advantage, but after a full year which this has been, BM will never be ahead of Shrout if both are healthy again at UT!

Shrout looks great throwing the ball. It seems he has lagged in learning the playbook and in understanding reads.

I remember two years ago Pruitt saying he anticipated throws better than JG or KC. He definitely has the natural passing talent.
And haven't I been saying this?

Reactions: sjt18
Getting reps with the scout offense against the scout defense, is not the same as getting first team reps; you know this, you are just being disingenuous because you can't help yourself.

Pruitt made JG the starter in the spring, he focused the majority of the coaching efforts on trying to get him up to performing at a level commensurate to his seniority, and that strategy failed miserably. JG was benched in game 4, and Pruitt had no recourse but to throw in QBs who were unprepared to play.

Hopefully Pruitt is capable of learning from his mistakes, and doesn't repeat that one this season.
Pruitt made JG the starter in August actually. I don’t care about this conversation but it wasn’t Spring. There are articles with direct quotes from CJP saying he didn’t know who the QB was going to be like 3 weeks before our first game last year.

If you think HB was recruited here to sit behind Shrout and BM you're crazy.
To be fair, a whole lot has happened outside of anyone's control since HB was recruited here.

I don't think anyone denies that HB should be the most talented QB on the roster. What seems to be in question are the expectations that he come in and immediately supplant a rSR, rSO, and a SO without the aid of spring practice, or even a traditional fall practice, one in which he missed a significant portion of due to quarantining. HB is way behind, thru no fault of his own, and the guys ahead of him have a significant leg up in terms of experience and practice repetitions.

He should get tto the point where he is primary focal point at QB, but it might not be this year. He might not even reach QB2 this year, and that's OK. It doesn't necessarily speak to his ability, but more to the fact that football in 2020 is a total nightmare and he missed a lot of key points leading up to it.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Sho nuff. JG was in on all the drives with the 1s where JTS and BM split time with the 2s. If that doesn’t say a decision has been made idk what does.

I mean, there's no need to sling out revisionist history at this point. We all saw how unready Maurer and Shrout were when they got tossed into the game. It was painfully obvious that the staff had spent the spring and summer trying to get JG performing on a level commensurate to his seniority.

Last edited:
Not spinning. I've never rooted against a Vol being successful... and that did not change with JG. You are just evading a legitimate criticism and concern about his ability. You turn criticism on young guys for their mistakes then "spin" the failures of an experienced player. Why?

I don't have much to go on with Shrout except it was obvious that the staff did not trust his grasp of the offense.

BM was significantly limited by knowledge of the O as well but was quick and decisive enough to apparently show some "upside" vs JG when he replaced him. No one can know for sure... but he likely would have remained the starter and been "coached up" over the course of the season if he could have stayed healthy.

Here are the specific concerns/criticisms I have for him. He could be susceptible to head injuries. He's now slowed by a leg injury... is he injury prone? Some guys just are.... just like some guys don't have as much abstract "vision" as others. BM's decisions were often not good. The two throws vs MSU were terrible. On one, he decided before the play he was throwing to Jennings and did not "read" what was happening. He had MC open short for the TD.

He had early success with RPO's in part because he's quick and doesn't hesitate. He has a good arm and the ability to hit tight windows with snap throws. But he became too easy to fool later in the season like in the UK game.... and he seemed to start reading "throw" all the time.

The reason I do not spend a ton of time talking about this is that virtually no one denies Maurer has weaknesses or says he played consistently well last year. Not even 1vol8. But REASONABLE people do not judge a true Fr that is forced to play too early with a 4th year Jr who has weaknesses that should have already been resolved if he's able.

I have operators that work at my plant. Their job is to read ever changing trend lines and make adjustments to systems to keep the plant in balance and running efficiently. The best operators learn to anticipate problems then know when to implement adjustments. We do not expect our new operators to do this as well as guys who have been around a couple of years. We do not come down on them if they read the trends incorrectly or read them correctly and make the wrong adjustment or make it at the wrong time. We expect mistakes and some that might cost us 10's of thousands of dollars. Just a reality. We train those guys.

Some guys no matter how hard they try do not have the abstract reasoning to envision/anticipate the changes needed. They can do other things for us... but they cannot operate the plant.

If we get to year 2 or 3 and a guy still cannot keep the plant in balance/optimized... they have to go. Not because they're bad guys but because the team cannot afford someone that holds them back. It certainly isn't because I "hate" them or want them to fail.

That's where I think JG is. I think he's a very good kid. I just believe he's more of a concrete, deliberate thinker than an abstract or instinctive thinker. Nothing wrong with that except it does not work well as a QB in a league that plays at the speed of the SEC.

I would LOVE to be wrong... but I do not think I am based on the last 4 years.
Sounds like a good post. A lot of thought
went into it for sure.

I mean, there's no need to sling out revisionist history at this point. We all saw how unready Maurer and Shrout were when they go tossed into the game. It was painfully obvious that the staff had spent the spring and summer trying to get JG performing on a level commensurate to his seniority.
That’s a battle I’ve been fighting for months.

VN Store

Back