Can JT Shrout take the # 2 QB Spot?

Bailey will redhsirt. If anybody else gets QB time besides JG it will be JT Shrout. BM will never beat out Shrout for the #2 spot. Before, they gave BM unfair advantage, but now they've seen both in this system both season and offseason and its a wrap for BM unless something miraculous happens. I saw the difference last yr. The star ratings are meaningless once on campus!

Bold prediction:

If JG messes up and JT gets in, JG is likely done and moving forward it will be Shrout's job to lose!

Reactions: OldVolMan
Lolwut? We're going to let no one get into rhythm by playing 3 QBs every first half...sacrificing the current game for some chance someone misses a game down the road? Especially when all 3 have played collegiate and SEC snaps before. We may not even play half a season... Glad Chaney is the OC and not you.
To be fair, I think he said in first half of the season, not seeing 3 Qbs play in first half of each game.

Bailey will redhsirt. If anybody else gets QB time besides JG it will be JT Shrout. BM will never beat out Shrout for the #2 spot. Before, they gave BM unfair advantage, but now they've seen both in this system both season and offseason and its a wrap for BM unless something miraculous happens. I saw the difference last yr. The star ratings are meaningless once on campus!
Nobody is redshirting this year. Total freebie.

"In every single game in the first half" had me like wtf? 🤣 That makes much more sense. Ty
Dude, Devo. The back half of the sentence was, "...in every single game in the first half of the season." Hard to misunderstand that, brother. I mean, I can see how you did it, but you had to have been tying your brain in knots to read it that way. :)

Thank you, GMC.

Reactions: Devo182
I just think its funny to think someone other than the bad QB who helped lead the worst team in UT history to their dismal record is somehow not easy to game plan for...unless he means teams dont even HAVE to gameplan when JG is starting..
And yet we have fans like yourself wanting Pruitt to play a young QB in BM who put up arguably the worst stats of any QB we've ever had play. Glad Coach Pruitt is a real coach and not trying to do this from his couch.

And yet we have fans like yourself wanting Pruitt to play a young QB in BM who put up arguably the worst stats of any QB we've ever had play. Glad Coach Pruitt is a real coach and not trying to do this from his couch.
Well, I think MOST fans would prefer to have a 4th or 5th year QB who got the job done so well that no true Fr could be considered a "better option" by the staff at any point. But that is not what we've had from JG.

BM didn't put up the worst stats and particularly not when you look at his time in competitive games only. Like a true Fr and especially one who was considered a RS candidate and not a potential starter... he made too many mistakes. Of course, that context isn't very convenient to what you want to believe... so you'd rather not put things in perspective.

That "real coach" benched JG after 3 games last year.... but he wasn't a "real coach" then, huh?

Well, I think MOST fans would prefer to have a 4th or 5th year QB who got the job done so well that no true Fr could be considered a "better option" by the staff at any point. But that is not what we've had from JG.

BM didn't put up the worst stats and particularly not when you look at his time in competitive games only. Like a true Fr and especially one who was considered a RS candidate and not a potential starter... he made too many mistakes. Of course, that context isn't very convenient to what you want to believe... so you'd rather not put things in perspective.

That "real coach" benched JG after 3 games last year.... but he wasn't a "real coach" then, huh?
You must struggle with keeping up, I've said on more than one occasion that Pruitt's benching of JG last season was justified, as was him going back to JG at critical moments of games down the stretch. I've said multiple times I think we have one of if not the best QB rooms in the SEC because of the experience and talent of all the QBs and that Pruitt has handled the QB position perfectly. I've been Pruitt's biggest fan in the way the QBs have been handled, all you have done is continue to spout anything negative about JG you can come up with. You're the fraud when it comes to supporting our coach and his decisions in the way our QB room has been handled.

You do realize that if Pruitt/Chaney had spent spring/summer of 2019 actually working on developing other QBs instead of just anointing JG the starter, then we aren't in a position where we don't have an unprepared backup when JG tanked by game 4, right?

It’s fruit of the poisonous tree. Throughout our historic disagreements I’ve credited you with sniffing out bs. Now you’re cutting a lot of slack to one with some obvious bias towards one QB candidate whilst holding two Vol fans feet to the fire for theirs towards JG.
I've disagreed with 1vol8 several times. With me at least, he has never denied that his interest and support of UT came with Maurer. He's been good with those disagreements. Hasn't even accused me of being a racist or Floridiaist or anything because of our disagreements.

I was not "born" a Vol fan. I grew up in the same town as Heath Shuler. Knew his family. Went to church with him and several other Shulers. My dad coached Heath and Benji in Little League. He worked with Joe Benny to establish a Little League in our town. His grandmother was a saint.... other family members weren't. A VERY white sheep/black sheep family. I became a Vol fan when he signed and have been one ever since. Maybe I just don't hold that against 1vol8 like others do. I don't really blame him... because I can still remember when everyone I knew "hated" Jerry Colquitt when he and Heath were competing to become the starter.

At this point, I think Pulaski is simply wrong... a lot. That's no crime. Some of the folks I respect most on the board are people I've disagreed sharply with. I do think his shots at Maurer are pretty unfair and are not even handed. It may be personal. I don't know.

I have challenged k-town numerous times... I don't believe he's a Vol fan. I believe he is a JG fan. He has taken a dump on virtually every other group of players on the team at one time or another to deflect any responsibility for anything away from JG.

I can honestly claim to have fairly weighed pros/cons and advocated for opportunity for every single QB on the roster. Never saw it for Kasim Hill but he doesn’t count anymore. Also haven’t ruled out Salter or any future Vol’s chances. It’s open mindedness without falsely claiming such.
I end up opposing the side I think is most unreasonable. I think that is Pulaski, k-town, and a few others who cultishly support JG. But that's not a slap at JG. I wish he had not and did not have the issues in his game that he has. I don't know how you could be a Vol fan and wish ill on a guy who has worked as hard and put up with as much as he has. I really, sincerely hope I am wrong and he "wakes up" this fall.

I truly do not have a horse in this race. I say what I believe to be true not what I wish to be true. My wish is for UT to have great QB play. I will pull for any of them.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
You do realize that if Pruitt/Chaney had spent spring/summer of 2019 actually working on developing other QBs instead of just anointing JG the starter, then we aren't in a position where we don't have an unprepared backup when JG tanked by game 4, right?
Lol, yeah, I guess they were supposed to give an undersized FR QB coming off winning 6 or 7 high school games the last couple of seasons a bunch of JGs reps early last summer. We had unprepared backups for the same reasons they were just 3* recruits. Undersized, unproven and zero experience vs quality competition was what one lacked, giving him all of the reps would not have made him any better, as for Shrout, he's played very little football his entire life and is simply not ready for the playbook, giving him all the reps would have been suicide. I love how we have fans that think QBs recruited here to be backups are going to magically turn into All-SEC type QBs and lead us to championships.

You must struggle with keeping up, I've said on more than one occasion that Pruitt's benching of JG last season was justified, as was him going back to JG at critical moments of games down the stretch. I've said multiple times I think we have one of if not the best QB rooms in the SEC because of the experience and talent of all the QBs and that Pruitt has handled the QB position perfectly.
Yeah... sorry that I do not read ALL of your posts but I have read a significant enough sample that if you'd said that very often... I would have seen it.

I've been Pruitt's biggest fan in the way the QBs have been handled, all you have done is continue to spout anything negative about JG you can come up with. You're the fraud when it comes to supporting our coach and his decisions in the way our QB room has been handled.
Well, you're lying again. I have praised JG for things he's done well and improvements he's made. When he appeared to be turning the corner late last fall, I praised him and was ready to eat any crow coming my way as if it were prime rib. Then he regressed and actually passed the ball WORSE in the last two games than he did in the first two. If not for UT's improvements on D and in the run game... those would have been losses. With quality QB play in all 5 of those games, UT wins at least 4.

I don't WANT him to be slow in his decision making but he has been since the first time we saw him 4 years ago. I don't want him to be poor at anticipating throws and leading receivers but that has been a consistent flaw in his game. I hope I am shocked and he overcomes those things this year.... but the length of time he's struggled and the effort he's put in to improve suggests it is something innate.

I have said NUMEROUS TIMES including direct disagreement with 1vol8's idea that Pruitt was biased against Maurer that the staff played their hand about as well as possible last year. You can claim that it was the right move all you like... as long as you unfairly dog the other two guys and particularly Maurer... your words are hollow.

I've disagreed with 1vol8 several times. With me at least, he has never denied that his interest and support of UT came with Maurer. He's been good with those disagreements. Hasn't even accused me of being a racist or Floridiaist or anything because of our disagreements.

I was not "born" a Vol fan. I grew up in the same town as Heath Shuler. Knew his family. Went to church with him and several other Shulers. My dad coached Heath and Benji in Little League. He worked with Joe Benny to establish a Little League in our town. His grandmother was a saint.... other family members weren't. A VERY white sheep/black sheep family. I became a Vol fan when he signed and have been one ever since. Maybe I just don't hold that against 1vol8 like others do. I don't really blame him... because I can still remember when everyone I knew "hated" Jerry Colquitt when he and Heath were competing to become the starter.

At this point, I think Pulaski is simply wrong... a lot. That's no crime. Some of the folks I respect most on the board are people I've disagreed sharply with. I do think his shots at Maurer are pretty unfair and are not even handed. It may be personal. I don't know.

I have challenged k-town numerous times... I don't believe he's a Vol fan. I believe he is a JG fan. He has taken a dump on virtually every other group of players on the team at one time or another to deflect any responsibility for anything away from JG.

I end up opposing the side I think is most unreasonable. I think that is Pulaski, k-town, and a few others who cultishly support JG. But that's not a slap at JG. I wish he had not and did not have the issues in his game that he has. I don't know how you could be a Vol fan and wish ill on a guy who has worked as hard and put up with as much as he has. I really, sincerely hope I am wrong and he "wakes up" this fall.

I truly do not have a horse in this race. I say what I believe to be true not what I wish to be true. My wish is for UT to have great QB play. I will pull for any of them.
When you followed Shuler to the Vols, did you have any interest in any other position group on the squad? Any interest in recruiting? Coaching hires...etc etc? Not against new FANS...that’s his force field. I’m against fans of one player who purport to be objective fans of the program and take little subtle shots at other program pieces to help their fanboy narrative. I’ve gone over this ad nauseum previously so I’ll spare everyone a recap.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Yeah... sorry that I do not read ALL of your posts but I have read a significant enough sample that if you'd said that very often... I would have seen it.

Well, you're lying again. I have praised JG for things he's done well and improvements he's made. When he appeared to be turning the corner late last fall, I praised him and was ready to eat any crow coming my way as if it were prime rib. Then he regressed and actually passed the ball WORSE in the last two games than he did in the first two. If not for UT's improvements on D and in the run game... those would have been losses. With quality QB play in all 5 of those games, UT wins at least 4.

I don't WANT him to be slow in his decision making but he has been since the first time we saw him 4 years ago. I don't want him to be poor at anticipating throws and leading receivers but that has been a consistent flaw in his game. I hope I am shocked and he overcomes those things this year.... but the length of time he's struggled and the effort he's put in to improve suggests it is something innate.

I have said NUMEROUS TIMES including direct disagreement with 1vol8's idea that Pruitt was biased against Maurer that the staff played their hand about as well as possible last year. You can claim that it was the right move all you like... as long as you unfairly dog the other two guys and particularly Maurer... your words are hollow.
You're a fraud, all you've done for 3 seasons is crap all over JG. You've lowered your tone lately and now just moan about him not being able to think or process data or lead receivers, not sure as to why, but you still are the leader of the neverJG crowd who continues to $[!+ all over our starting QB.

Lol, yeah, I guess they were supposed to give an undersized FR QB coming off winning 6 or 7 high school games the last couple of seasons a bunch of JGs reps early last summer. We had unprepared backups for the same reasons they were just 3* recruits. Undersized, unproven and zero experience vs quality competition was what one lacked, giving him all of the reps would not have made him any better,
Yes. Yet there he was starting against a top 5 UGA because the 4th year QB who was "recruited her to be a starter" played so poorly. Do you ever write something... step away and come back and read it? You approach this with a MASSIVE double standard. You are more forgiving of a 4-5 year player who doesn't get the job done than guys that you acknowledge are green and unprepared.

as for Shrout, he's played very little football his entire life and is simply not ready for the playbook, giving him all the reps would have been suicide.
No. It wouldn't have been suicide. He was a RS Fr with arm talent. What became "suicide" was pouring all those resources into JG then watching him flop when the lights came on. I have OFTEN said it was not an unreasonable approach at the point when the decision needed to be made. But is ridiculous to think they could not have poured those same resources into one of the others and had them ready to play... and execute at least a portion of the playbook. JG didn't execute either... even with the extra time and focus.

I love how we have fans that think QBs recruited here to be backups are going to magically turn into All-SEC type QBs and lead us to championships.
So you are now declaring these guys have no talent? That shows what you wrote earlier was just deflection... deception... pure BS.

Not that surprising that you would find ways to cut them. I don't know if either can be a winning QB at UT. But it would not take "magic" to turn either guy's talent into a championship caliber QB if they can develop mentally... if they can learn to make good decisions QUICKLY.... something that's been missing at UT for a few years now.

@butchna This is the kind of stuff from Pulaski that I was talking about.

When you followed Shuler to the Vols, did you have any interest in any other position group on the squad? Any interest in recruiting? Coaching hires...etc etc? Not against new FANS...that’s his force field. I’m against fans of one player who purport to be objective fans of the program and take little subtle shots at other program pieces to help their fanboy narrative. I’ve gone over this ad nauseum previously so I’ll spare everyone a recap.
Not at the time I became a fan. But then you start pulling for guys then keep pulling for them after "your guy" is gone. It didn't hurt that UT recruited several players out of western NC around that same time- Leonard Little, Shawn Bryson, Pickens, Crompton, etc. My HS coach was an OL coach at a rival school when Jimmy Streater was there. Jimmy gave our team a pre-game speech once. I'm dating myself... but I played against one of his brothers.

Lol, yeah, I guess they were supposed to give an undersized FR QB coming off winning 6 or 7 high school games the last couple of seasons a bunch of JGs reps early last summer. We had unprepared backups for the same reasons they were just 3* recruits. Undersized, unproven and zero experience vs quality competition was what one lacked, giving him all of the reps would not have made him any better, as for Shrout, he's played very little football his entire life and is simply not ready for the playbook, giving him all the reps would have been suicide. I love how we have fans that think QBs recruited here to be backups are going to magically turn into All-SEC type QBs and lead us to championships.

Shrout was a RS sophomore in 2019, there was no need to settle on trying to prepare a true freshman in any QB competition.

You don't really care about that because context doesn't matter since you've completely divorced yourself from reality in your quest to repaint 2019 as a successful season for JG.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Yes. Yet there he was starting against a top 5 UGA because the 4th year QB who was "recruited her to be a starter" played so poorly. Do you ever write something... step away and come back and read it? You approach this with a MASSIVE double standard. You are more forgiving of a 4-5 year player who doesn't get the job done than guys that you acknowledge are green and unprepared.

No. It wouldn't have been suicide. He was a RS Fr with arm talent. What became "suicide" was pouring all those resources into JG then watching him flop when the lights came on. I have OFTEN said it was not an unreasonable approach at the point when the decision needed to be made. But is ridiculous to think they could not have poured those same resources into one of the others and had them ready to play... and execute at least a portion of the playbook. JG didn't execute either... even with the extra time and focus.

So you are now declaring these guys have no talent? That shows what you wrote earlier was just deflection... deception... pure BS.

Not that surprising that you would find ways to cut them. I don't know if either can be a winning QB at UT. But it would not take "magic" to turn either guy's talent into a championship caliber QB if they can develop mentally... if they can learn to make good decisions QUICKLY.... something that's been missing at UT for a few years now.

@butchna This is the kind of stuff from Pulaski that I was talking about.
And I’m aware...and disagreed with both he and K-Town on that philosophy on multiple occasions. Never declared JG the de facto best QB based on what he was rated in high school. Aaron Rodgers wasn’t even rated out of high school and had no scholarship offers from 4 year programs...I don’t think he’s an one off example of the services totally missing either. All that said, these two are fans of the Vols and I give them benefit of the doubt on what their intentions are.

Shrout was a RS sophomore in 2019, there was no need to settle on trying to prepare a true freshman in any QB competition.

You don't really care about that because context doesn't matter since you've completely divorced yourself from reality in your quest to repaint 2019 as a successful season for JG.
He was a redshirt freshman.

images

You're a fraud, all you've done for 3 seasons is crap all over JG.
LOL@U. He's had the same problem for 3 years... and you are still in denial. It has manifested itself in different ways. Taking checkdowns after missing plays downfield. Taking sacks. Being unable to throw quick hitters. Being unable to hit various patterns due to throwing late. Lack of YAC's when big plays were available if the pass was led properly.

This isn't "personal" against JG. The only thing "personal" I have ever had on him was his behavior at the GT game. But he's turned that into a positive by growing up since in demonstrable ways... like keeping a good attitude after being benched last fall.

I'll repeat again since you seem to be pretty dense to any comment that isn't "JG is perfectly fine and right where he should be... it has all been someone else's fault and has nothing to do with flaws in his game". He DESERVES to be successful as much as anyone who has ever played at UT. He's worked hard. He's put up with a load of crap. He's become a good teammate. But that does not mean those flaws that I've pointed out and you've denied do not exist and have not cost UT games.

You've lowered your tone lately and now just moan about him not being able to think or process data or lead receivers, not sure as to why, but you still are the leader of the neverJG crowd who continues to $[!+ all over our starting QB.
He has not processed reads fast enough. He has not demonstrated the ability to anticipate throws. He has consistently failed to lead receivers well.

Make whatever you want out of it. Deflect it by other non-sense you posted. It is still true. These things have plagued JG from the moment he stepped on the field at UT. They've made him and by extension the offense ineffective. If not for the coaching situation and Jones' failure to sign another option... we likely wouldn't be having this conversation. What he has done poorly... is pretty much prerequisite for being a "good" SEC QB.

Once again you start a debate with a total false statement and expect folks to take your side in an argument, Shrout was a RS Fr who had very little football experience.

VN Store

Back