Can JT Shrout take the # 2 QB Spot?

I love how he bags on a true freshman who threw 3 of his 5 ints against the # 3,10,19 ranked defenses, and all top 10 ranked teams...
I just think its funny to think someone other than the bad QB who helped lead the worst team in UT history to their dismal record is somehow not easy to game plan for...unless he means teams dont even HAVE to gameplan when JG is starting..

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I just think its funny to think someone other than the bad QB who helped lead the worst team in UT history to their dismal record is somehow not easy to game plan for...unless he means teams dont even HAVE to gameplan when JG is starting..
JG is not difficult to defend against...at all...Missouri his career game...was marred by jump balls and PI calls....even before the game CJP and CJC we talking about thier secondary holding player with the officials....

Reactions: FLVOL_79
JT can play but I'm still in JG's camp! Call me a homer but JG gives us the best chance to win. He has a OFL that is seasoned, 2nd year in Chaney's system and the kid will rock.

It's always funny the people that voice their opinions the loudest are the ones who sat on the bench in high school and never played a down of college ball. As a DB in college I'd love to have JG lead my team and I'd learn alot from playing against him. This kid has skills and the untrained eye doesn't pick up. The kid doesn't tell where the ball is going and as a DB that's the 1st and foremost thing you look for.

LET THE KID PLAY, and you know nothing arms shut the heck up!

Last edited:
True, the Penix kid is who I really hoped Pruitt hung on to. Kid has been pretty good too.
Agreed. Time has done better second guessing of Helton on that one than we ever could. May be injury prone tho.

I apologize if this has already been said; haven't kept up with the thread as well as I should have.

I think we're going to see Guarantano, Shrout, and Maurer in every single game in the first half of the season, as long as they're all healthy. Probably even see Bailey on the field some...and by some, I mean more than you would expect of a freshman just learning the offense.

Why? Because of the virus. Because we're going to want our #2 and even #3 QB to have plenty of live-game experience should we get to the point where he's the only one able to play.

There has always been a little pressure to get playing time to the backups, because of possible injury. But the chance of contact-tracing quarantine dials that concern right up to 11.

There's one big way this hypothesis could be wrong. And if we see no one but JG in game 1, I'll put money on it: if JG has already gotten Covid, if he has immunity, this worry goes away entirely. The worry about having his backup(s) ready drops back down to normal-year levels.

p.s. Same idea is true at every position. We are accustomed to a lot of rotation of the 1st, 2nd, and even 3rd string at DLine. Look for that same kind of rotation of depth at every other position group as well, this season. Quality depth, experienced depth. May be the key to November and beyond.

Go Vols!

The reality of a completely SEC schedule means we don't get to give the young guys as much experience as we would normally be able to give against the Chattanooga's of the world. We're playing other good teams for the most part. There's only two games that I think could be blowouts this year in Vandy and Arkansas, and I don't even expect a major blowout in either.

The reality of a completely SEC schedule means we don't get to give the young guys as much experience as we would normally be able to give against the Chattanooga's of the world. We're playing other good teams for the most part. There's only two games that I think could be blowouts this year in Vandy and Arkansas, and I don't even expect a major blowout in either.

Since when has any 2nd or 3rd string QB been able to get actual playing time against non-conference opponents when JG is the starting QB?

Since when has any 2nd or 3rd string QB been able to get actual playing time against non-conference opponents when JG is the starting QB?
Chattanooga, ETSU, Indiana State, UAB, UTEP. I mean not a lot, but we don't even have that opportunity this year.

Reactions: lexkyvol
JG is not difficult to defend against...at all...Missouri his career game...was marred by jump balls and PI calls....even before the game CJP and CJC we talking about thier secondary holding player with the officials....
Typing “Marred by jump balls” about a game where a guy throws for 400 is one of the most ridiculous arguments ever.

Typing “Marred by jump balls” about a game where a guy throws for 400 is one of the most ridiculous arguments ever.
Your right. Cuz every pass over 15 yards should be a jump ball....he threw up alot of prayers..any who watched the game knows it..

It's the NegaVol neverJG guy's go to reasoning anytime JG completes a pass, which ironically.he does at a rate only 1 other QB in TN history has completed. How does one claim to know football when every game he watches on TV has WRs that high point the football by actually jumping up and catching it, happens all the time with all QBs, one of the greatest QB/WR performances of all time came in the Super Bowl when Lynn Swann had 4 acrobatic catches from Bradshaw to beat Dallas. Mizz is the dumbest jump ball argument yet as we had more yards after the catch that game than any other time last season.

I couldn't find anything like what you are saying in the game recap, really strange, did you just make up your story to throw more hate on our starting QB? I wonder why none of our past QBs didn't try just throwing the ball up, seems to work I guess considering we've only had JG and 2 other UT QBs ever throw for that many yards in a game.

A Look at the Incredible Numbers from the Vols' Win Over Missouri | RTI

Your right. Cuz every pass over 15 yards should be a jump ball....he threw up alot of prayers..any who watched the game knows it..
1) A jump ball isn’t a prayer.
2) No matter how bad you want to win an argument, it’s impossible to take you seriously as you try to dismiss your own guy throwing for 400 yards as just having a lucky day.

Last edited:
1) A jump ball isn’t a prayer.
2) No matter how bad you want to win an argument, it’s impossible to take you seriously as you try to dismiss your own guy throwing for 400 yards as just having a lucky day.
Im not dismissing..im saying over looking glaring factors that play into a player career day is about context.....over all number dont tell the whole story...we can argue this all day long...it will get us no where

Think of it like this. Anthony Rizzo has a career day 7hits 7 ab. But all were single against the shift where he tapped it the other way....yes its a career day....

Last edited:
I couldn't find anything like what you are saying in the game recap, really strange, did you just make up your story to throw more hate on our starting QB? I wonder why none of our past QBs didn't try just throwing the ball up, seems to work I guess considering we've only had JG and 2 other UT QBs ever throw for that many yards in a game.

A Look at the Incredible Numbers from the Vols' Win Over Missouri | RTI
From 247 breakdown....notice behind. And high. Jump balls. Wr stops turns and jump just because they were caught doent make a great throw

passing and had some inaccurate and forced throws either behind his intended target or out of bounds or high. He also held the ball too long to take a sack

JG has had about 3-4 good games in his career. MO was a good performance, so.was AU in 18. As good as he was in those games, he stunk it up in the majority of them.

By all accounts, he is a practice jedi, but he gets in his own way during games. All and all he just hasn't had a very good career to this point. I hope he puts it all together this year, but if it's more of the same, I hope The others come and permanently take the job from him.

We are a good qb from being a very competitive team this year. We finally have some speed at WR but these young guys will need to step up. Great OL, very good RB. With good qb play, we should put up a lot of points this year

I think we're going to see Guarantano, Shrout, and Maurer in every single game in the first half of the season, as long as they're all healthy. Probably even see Bailey on the field some...and by some, I mean more than you would expect of a freshman just learning the offense.
Lolwut? We're going to let no one get into rhythm by playing 3 QBs every first half...sacrificing the current game for some chance someone misses a game down the road? Especially when all 3 have played collegiate and SEC snaps before. We may not even play half a season... Glad Chaney is the OC and not you.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
JG has had about 3-4 good games in his career. MO was a good performance, so.was AU in 18. As good as he was in those games, he stunk it up in the majority of them.

By all accounts, he is a practice jedi, but he gets in his own way during games. All and all he just hasn't had a very good career to this point. I hope he puts it all together this year, but if it's more of the same, I hope The others come and permanently take the job from him.

We are a good qb from being a very competitive team this year. We finally have some speed at WR but these young guys will need to step up. Great OL, very good RB. With good qb play, we should put up a lot of points this year
18 of his 34 games played in were over a 130 QBR. He wasn't always asked to pass a lot, but his efficiency has been pretty good. Not sure how high a QBR one needs to be objectively good.

And threw to him well the previous season. Still haven’t figured where he erred. QB’s you guys respect? They throw more to their less dangerous targets?

You do understand that a ton of the passing yards came after the catch? Tons of them...as in any qb on that team would have thrown for a bunch of yards.

I hope HB is the next great thing at qB for us. But you guys are putting way too much stock in his HS performances

Reactions: lexkyvol
You do understand that a ton of the passing yards came after the catch? Tons of them...as in any qb on that team would have thrown for a bunch of yards.

I hope HB is the next great thing at qB for us. But you guys are putting way too much stock in his HS performances
Name me a current successful QB who didn’t get the ball to his weapons so that they couldn’t get yards after the catch. Ying and yang of it. I don’t agree that ANY QB would have been as successful. I can’t give you a list of names who had elite targets but couldn’t feed them...because they didn’t make names for themselves. And gracias for the generalization “you guys”...not condescending at all.

VN Store

Back