Can JT Shrout take the # 2 QB Spot?

Maurer was recruited by Helton as well and signed off by Pruitt. It was Pruitts second year so he had time for the 2019 class. I think you’re thinking about the 2018 class with JTS when they didn’t have much time before signing day after hire. Also Pruitt offered weeks before “The Opening” and Maurer committed just days before the competition.
Yeah I think you're right. I was thinking they were in the same class for some reason.

Reactions: lexkyvol and 1vol8
Oh heck yea for sure.....i can't put my finger on it...and i don't know if he will be a true bust but I don't think he will be the savior everyone want...either way as long as he or whatever QB wins and helps the team..it wont matter
I think it's safe to say he'll be the best we've had since Dobbs.

Reactions: FïreBall
Miss state is the ONLY game you can use that argument. Maurers highlights are there for anyone to see if they so choose. They will show him throwing to WRs that were 6ft or shorter that run a 4.9 or slower. Therefore he had to use anticipation and accuracy because those guys weren’t running away from anyone. One thing you won’t see is a habit of throwing into dbl coverage. Trust me..... let’s leave this alone because film don’t lie and we need not compare.
Might as well leave it alone because CJP wasn't thrilled at all with any of the QB play for the most part of last year. Said all 3 were hesitant,throuwing into coverage with other receivers wide open,etc.

I think JT showed some poise in the pocket the few times he was allowed to play. If this touted OLine can pass protect then JT will likely be #2 coming out. Pruitt likely won't hesitate on pulling JG either if we see the same 'ole. I think JG will be improved but on a short lease still. HB missing spring ball and BM having hamstring issues has them playing catch-up. Another thing is reading the shifting SEC defenses and calling correct audibles at the LOS. I feel JT has the arm but has his head gotten any better? I hope so. HB may see the field if we can get a good 4th qtr. lead on anyone this year. I just don't see this year being as exciting as past years with the restricted fan attendance. HB doesn't need to get injured.

Reasonable expectations are warranted for the #99 recruit 4*. We aren't talking TL who honestly could've been drafted after 1 year, if not right out of HS. Different expectations for top 5 players and top 100 guys.

Unreasonably lofty expectations by fans don't help the kid. The coaches know how to and will handle it.
This year with limited practices, I get it.
But It wouldn’t matter what year or if it was TL, on here the motto is, let the first year stud set behind the 4th year dud.
I’m sure the fans expectations are no loftier than the kids himself.

I totally get it, but Mahomes was 6'3 190 as a Freshman, hardly ready physically. I think he plays around 230 lbs now. You never know about someone's mental game until they are thrown in the fire, you always know their limitations physically, I just feel like he's going to play, maybe not early but by midseason he'll push for playing time and will likely get it should JG struggle or get injured. I just don't see JT or BM winning SEC football games at this stage of their development and see him flying right past them both.
Ain't no damn way HB is going to get the chance to be #2 this year. It boils down to lack of real time experience in a tough league. Ain't no cupcake tune-ups this year. I'll trust the coaches. Add into that that JT and BM aren't gonna just hand the job over.They're both super competitive and practice hard. This pandemic cut HB's chances big time. Accept it.

Reactions: PlanetVolunteer
Ain't no damn way HB is going to get the chance to be #2 this year. It boils down to lack of real time experience in a tough league. Ain't no cupcake tune-ups this year. I'll trust the coaches. Add into that that JT and BM aren't gonna just hand the job over.They're both super competitive and practice hard. This pandemic cut HB's chances big time. Accept it.
Yeah there have been zero indications that HB will see the field.

Shrout is #2 right now and probably will be all year, but expect Bailey to push for the starters job next season. This Covid $hit hurt Harrison's development with Spring getting canceled a few practices in. Then a late start to fall camp for him. I really like Shrout, he probably has the best arm out of all our QB"S.
I'm in total agreement. HB had a bigtime chance with a complete spring practice but that and him missing some practices and JT in his 3rd year gives him the nod early. No telling how this season is gonna play out. JG could get injured in first few games and force all QB's up a notch and by 5-6 game you could see HB getting a start if CJP likes what he sees in practice. I don't see CJP taking any risks in this matter but HB has to be our future and it'll come down to timing and injuries,imo. I like Shrout too but he appears to have been in Pruitt's doghouse last year for some reason. Would like to see him given a chance.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Maurer was recruited by Helton as well and signed off by Pruitt. It was Pruitts second year so he had time for the 2019 class. I think you’re thinking about the 2018 class with JTS when they didn’t have much time before signing day after hire. Also Pruitt offered weeks before “The Opening” and Maurer committed just days before the competition.
We lost out on Adrian Martinez from Calif. apparently because Helton hadn't pursued him while at USC. Had we gotten him to knoxville we'd went straight from Martinez to Bailey and likely more wins.

We lost out on Adrian Martinez from Calif. apparently because Helton hadn't pursued him while at USC. Had we gotten him to knoxville we'd went straight from Martinez to Bailey and likely more wins.
He’s not been lights out himself.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
I think HB is likely #2 now and is basically QB1 in waiting, could be this season, will definitely next season in my opinion. I just don't believe a 5* QB came to UT to sit behind unheralded JT and BM. I also don't believe the scouts got it so wrong that not 1 but two 3* QBs are better than aforementioned 5*. Shrout and BM may get some time I just think it's a matter of time before HB is the guy.

I would be very surprised if HB broke the #3 spot. 1. No spring. 2 Covid destroyed an normal fall introduction 3. No weak sister games on schedule.

I totally get it, but Mahomes was 6'3 190 as a Freshman, hardly ready physically. I think he plays around 230 lbs now. You never know about someone's mental game until they are thrown in the fire, you always know their limitations physically, I just feel like he's going to play, maybe not early but by midseason he'll push for playing time and will likely get it should JG struggle or get injured. I just don't see JT or BM winning SEC football games at this stage of their development and see him flying right past them both.
Based on WHAT grounds Pulaski? If you can’t come up with anything with more substance than the team he played for then you’re no better than the services themselves and you might as well admit your opinions come based on rank out of Hs alone. What SKILL does he have that Maurer or Shrout lack?....... I’ll wait

Based on WHAT grounds Pulaski? If you can’t come up with anything with more substance than the team he played for then you’re no better than the services themselves and you might as well admit your opinions come based on rank out of Hs alone. What SKILL does he have that Maurer or Shrout lack?....... I’ll wait
He's 6'5 230 lbs, he's ready physically, BM is not. He's been groomed for this position for years, JT has played like 4 seasons so he's nowhere near ready. Both JG and JT are development QBs and were recruited as such, BM must mature as a person and mature physically and mentally before he's ready, JT will likely never pass anyone based on how raw he is and lack of playing any competition or experience. I've never ranked kids but HB played tougher competition his 1st game of his 1st season in HS than BM ever did in 4 years, you claim it doesn't matter yet it's one of the 1st thing coaches look for. You only get 5* because you are ready physically and have proven yourself against top competition. You can poo his ranking all you want but it's clear as a bell, HB was recruited here to be the starting QB, Shrout and Maurer were not. You hate it because you know your boy has been recruited over. Whoever advised BM to go to an SEC school, especially one that everyone knew was in on blue chip HB, gave him terrible advice. He needed experience and game time to get better and now it looks like he won't do much in Knoxville. I told you over a year ago his days were numbered once HB committed and you've regularly said he would scare HB off to another school. I think you're going to be proven wrong and I think HB is next man up, BM's days are numbered in Knoxville.

I wouldn't sleep on JT. He is a gun slinger. HB is the future, but JT has been in the system a few years, and from all accounts is maturing. He looked pretty good in his very limited opportunities last year. He was obviously on a very short leash, but he had some moxy.

I have no faith in JG but maybe he finally puts it together this year. I will believe it when I see it, but could happen.

He's 6'5 230 lbs, he's ready physically, BM is not. He's been groomed for this position for years, JT has played like 4 seasons so he's nowhere near ready. Both JG and JT are development QBs and were recruited as such, BM must mature as a person and mature physically and mentally before he's ready, JT will likely never pass anyone based on how raw he is and lack of playing any competition or experience. I've never ranked kids but HB played tougher competition his 1st game of his 1st season in HS than BM ever did in 4 years, you claim it doesn't matter yet it's one of the 1st thing coaches look for. You only get 5* because you are ready physically and have proven yourself against top competition. You can poo his ranking all you want but it's clear as a bell, HB was recruited here to be the starting QB, Shrout and Maurer were not. You hate it because you know your boy has been recruited over. Whoever advised BM to go to an SEC school, especially one that everyone knew was in on blue chip HB, gave him terrible advice. He needed experience and game time to get better and now it looks like he won't do much in Knoxville. I told you over a year ago his days were numbered once HB committed and you've regularly said he would scare HB off to another school. I think you're going to be proven wrong and I think HB is next man up, BM's days are numbered in Knoxville.
So by your definition Russel Wilson, Kyler Murray and Pat Mahommes were never “ready” physically and therefore could not have played in the SEC? Negative ghost rider. This position has evolved into something you clearly no longer understand. Size is a bonus, not a requirement. The services label qbs based on where THEY feel you can do the most damage to a defense. Pocket passers can’t take over a game running. Duel threats can’t take over a game from within the pocket. Your typical pocket passers need height and weight because they take their punishment WITHIN the pocket. Your typical Duel threats will be shorter and lighter (within reason). Then there are now what I call hybrids. Hybrids are a rare combination of skills. They possess all the accuracy of a pocket passer along with the speed and pocket presence of Duel threat. They lose no accuracy while throwing on the run or from within the pocket. At 6’4 200 lbs, Maurer is actually big for his skill set and playing style. Yes.... BM is a hybrid. Think of yourself as a D coordinator and tell me how you would plan against him? If you keep him in the pocket he beats you without immediate pressure from your front 4(See UGA). If you blitz him he finds a lane, hits you over the top of the blitz or scrambles into finding open receivers or runs (See MSU, Kentucky). If you flush him left he’s still able to throw to all three levels against his body. If you flush him right the same is true (See first pass vs IU). So what do you do? That kind of skill set is one that is the hardest to plan for because no matter how you plan or how successful you are at executing it you can only hope to contain him long enough to win. So please.... continue to try and convince me that size is everything when we’re talking about TWO qbs that are every bit big enough for their style of play.

So by your definition Russel Wilson, Kyler Murray and Pat Mahommes were never “ready” physically and therefore could not have played in the SEC? Negative ghost rider. This position has evolved into something you clearly no longer understand. Size is a bonus, not a requirement. The services label qbs based on where THEY feel you can do the most damage to a defense. Pocket passers can’t take over a game running. Duel threats can’t take over a game from within the pocket. Your typical pocket passers need height and weight because they take their punishment WITHIN the pocket. Your typical Duel threats will be shorter and lighter (within reason). Then there are now what I call hybrids. Hybrids are a rare combination of skills. They possess all the accuracy of a pocket passer along with the speed and pocket presence of Duel threat. They lose no accuracy while throwing on the run or from within the pocket. At 6’4 200 lbs, Maurer is actually big for his skill set and playing style. Yes.... BM is a hybrid. Think of yourself as a D coordinator and tell me how you would plan against him? If you keep him in the pocket he beats you without immediate pressure from your front 4(See UGA). If you blitz him he finds a lane, hits you over the top of the blitz or scrambles into finding open receivers or runs (See MSU, Kentucky). If you flush him left he’s still able to throw to all three levels against his body. If you flush him right the same is true (See first pass vs IU). So what do you do? That kind of skill set is one that is the hardest to plan for because no matter how you plan or how successful you are at executing it you can only hope to contain him long enough to win. So please.... continue to try and convince me that size is everything when we’re talking about TWO qbs that are every bit big enough for their style of play.
BM is the easiest QB in the country to gameplan for, sit back and wait for him to throw it to the defense. If the defense can catch the football they have very little problem with BM. He's good for 1 or 2 ints a game.

BM is the easiest QB in the country to gameplan for, sit back and wait for him to throw it to the defense. If the defense can catch the football they have very little problem with BM. He's good for 1 or 2 ints a game.
I figured that would be the best you could come up with because you have no ammo to the argument.

He is all about 5'10 180 pound Bryce Young....lol
I also forgot HB was only a 5* on rivals..only. 247 espn both 4 star...BM was a 4* ESPN... he plays recruiting games like he does with JG QB production!!!!!

Reactions: 1vol8
I think HB is likely #2 now and is basically QB1 in waiting, could be this season, will definitely next season in my opinion. I just don't believe a 5* QB came to UT to sit behind unheralded JT and BM. I also don't believe the scouts got it so wrong that not 1 but two 3* QBs are better than aforementioned 5*. Shrout and BM may get some time I just think it's a matter of time before HB is the guy.

You may be right but Pruitt/staff will play the player who is ready to play now regardless of ranking.

He is all about 5'10 180 pound Bryce Young....lol
I also forgot HB was only a 5* on rivals..only. 247 espn both 4 star...BM was a 4* ESPN... he plays recruiting games like he does with JG QB production!!!!!
He’s obviously got no answer for my reply. Wonder why that is?🤔

VN Store

Back