Can JT Shrout take the # 2 QB Spot?

Here is a 20m highlight from the Marietta vs Eastside Catholic game in Dec. Out in Vegas.

That was ugly Marietta obviously out talented them....hard to tell but most passes that weren't screen plays. He literally just flicked it out and let white and gilbert catch it cuz they had miles of seperation ....the INT was a late choice to throw...the middle cross was open long before the rush made hime scramble..he was looking deep

Came in gangbusters against UGA then they figured him out before they hurt him. Missed a lot of targets and many worms were lost that day my friends! It’s always these damn inferior receivers at the next level that won’t allow him to use that anticipation and accuracy which only two starting NFL QBs possess. One thing I’ve learned about you is that you make film your beyotch and it’s useless to the rest of us by the time you’re finished.
Came in gangbusters vs UGA and had they invested more than two weeks he may have been able to handle an adjustment after halftime. I never criticized DWA nor JJ for those drops. However when some people criticize HIM for his ints I point out facts that are relevant. The FRESHMAN made TWO terrible decisions in his 4 starts. Forgive me if I don’t fault him, or any other qb for unfortunate results after doing THEIR job.

That was ugly Marietta obviously out talented them....hard to tell but most passes that weren't screen plays. He literally just flicked it out and let white and gilbert catch it cuz they had miles of seperation ....the INT was a late choice to throw...the middle cross was open long before the rush made hime scramble..he was looking deep
Eastside Catholic had 15 D-1 prospects. And 3 Top 100 players for 2021...

Came in gangbusters vs UGA and had they invested more than two weeks he may have been able to handle an adjustment after halftime. I never criticized DWA nor JJ for those drops. However when some people criticize HIM for his ints I point out facts that are relevant. The FRESHMAN made TWO terrible decisions in his 4 starts. Forgive me if I don’t fault him, or any other qb for unfortunate results after doing THEIR job.
You assume a true freshman could’ve mastered a gameplan engineered solely for him...and that any coaching staff worth their salt would devise one for one player that hadn’t solidified himself as the second or third string on the depth chart. That’s why you’re not a HC. None worth a crap could afford to be so devoted to one player.

It is likely because I am using logic and reason, you would never see that coming.
So you can't logically see a blue chip 5* QB, 6'5 230 lbs mature kid who just came off a HS career matched in GA only by Fields, Lawrence, Fromm and some guy named Watson, take over the backup spot over BM and Shrout? What's the reason you can't see that?

Coaches value elite competition and how kids have performed against such competition. HB's stock is high because of his numbers that he put up in one of the best high school districts in the country. He also was part of turning around the Marietta program who had struggled for several years. By all accounts the kid has been groomed to be in this position, I think he's gonna do great. QB spot is set for a while I think.

You assume a true freshman could’ve mastered a gameplan engineered solely for him...and that any coaching staff worth their salt would devise one for one player that hadn’t solidified himself as the second or third string on the depth chart. That’s why you’re not a HC. None worth a crap could afford to be so devoted to one player.
Never said “mastered” anything. Idk what you don’t get about it. The kid was a freshman. As if being a freshman isn’t challenging enough by itself, add in there that they prepared HIM for a mere two weeks before playing GEORGIA and freakin ALABAMA! The fact that he had any success at all in that witches brew of definite failure SHOULD give you the tip of the iceberg of what I already know. All I’m saying is IF they had prepared him from spring until fall (not saying that he should’ve won the job. Just hypothetically saying if he were the starter from day 1 like Nix) you’re a fool if you believe he wouldn’t have been milestones better than he was and an ADJUSTMENT COULD'VE been made in the second half vs UGA. He was good enough as a RAW freshman to hold the lead on UGA and keep pace with Alabama. That’s all I needed to see to know all he needs is a LEGIT opportunity.

Never said “mastered” anything. Idk what you don’t get about it. The kid was a freshman. As if being a freshman isn’t challenging enough by itself, add in there that they prepared HIM for a mere two weeks before playing GEORGIA and freakin ALABAMA! The fact that he had any success at all in that witches brew of definite failure SHOULD give you the tip of the iceberg of what I already know. All I’m saying is IF they had prepared him from spring until fall (not saying that he should’ve won the job. Just hypothetically saying if he were the starter from day 1 like Nix) you’re a fool if you believe he wouldn’t have been milestones better than he was and an ADJUSTMENT COULD'VE been made in the second half vs UGA. He was good enough as a RAW freshman to hold the lead on UGA and keep pace with Alabama. That’s all I needed to see to know all he needs is a LEGIT opportunity.
Lol, as if he hasn't been given a LEGIT opportunity. This cat actually believes that Pruitt has been an idiot in how he's handled the QB position. What a joke, I think we've got as good a QB room as anyone else in the conference and could be set for years to come with JG/HB/Salter/Simpson/Manning should it work out that way.

Reactions: lexkyvol
Yeah but he won't stay the starter...injured or not.
I can’t disagree with that given the past. I do think JG will be better with a second year in the system but I’m not sure how much better. A lot of the issues I see have nothing to do with systems or coordinators. They appear to be mental blocks on game days.

Bailey most likely isn't going to play much, if at all this year. And that's okay. Keep in mind that Shrout is a RS Sophomore, this is his 3rd year here. I'd expect him to be ahead of a freshman QB that has barely even had a fall camp. Again, that's fine. Going into next year, we will have another QB competition, and if HB is the best QB, then so be it.

Lol, as if he hasn't been given a LEGIT opportunity. This cat actually believes that Pruitt has been an idiot in how he's handled the QB position. What a joke, I think we've got as good a QB room as anyone else in the conference and could be set for years to come with JG/HB/Salter/Simpson/Manning should it work out that way.
So you’re on record saying that two weeks of preparation for a true freshman qb making his first start vs #3 team in the country and only his third start vs #1 team in the country is a legit opportunity? But I’m the joke?

So you can't logically see a blue chip 5* QB, 6'5 230 lbs mature kid who just came off a HS career matched in GA only by Fields, Lawrence, Fromm and some guy named Watson, take over the backup spot over BM and Shrout? What's the reason you can't see that?

Because High School achievements mean precisely squat the second an athlete steps foot on a college campus.

I think HB is likely #2 now and is basically QB1 in waiting, could be this season, will definitely next season in my opinion. I just don't believe a 5* QB came to UT to sit behind unheralded JT and BM. I also don't believe the scouts got it so wrong that not 1 but two 3* QBs are better than aforementioned 5*. Shrout and BM may get some time I just think it's a matter of time before HB is the guy.

He has to know the offense. So, I think your sentiments are more likely to ring true somewhere deeper into the season.

PS:

Patrick Mahomes, 2014 Dual-threat quarterback - Rivals.com

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I think HB is likely #2 now and is basically QB1 in waiting, could be this season, will definitely next season in my opinion. I just don't believe a 5* QB came to UT to sit behind unheralded JT and BM. I also don't believe the scouts got it so wrong that not 1 but two 3* QBs are better than aforementioned 5*. Shrout and BM may get some time I just think it's a matter of time before HB is the guy.
What are you going to do with yourself if BM beats out HB after being so sure of yourself?

Reactions: tbones0711
So you’re on record saying that two weeks of preparation for a true freshman qb making his first start vs #3 team in the country and only his third start vs #1 team in the country is a legit opportunity? But I’m the joke?
Yes, you're the Joke. Here's a little TN history for you, JG was put in same spot, Josh Dobbs was put in same spot and several in between them and Condredge Holloway throughout the history of Tennessee football have been put in that same exact spot. The difference between BM and the rest are that BM has likely been recruited over and may never get to do what JG, Dobbs Condredge and many others who started out the same way and went on to accomplish success in Knoxville did. He may go on to do great things but like I've told you several times I don't think it'll be in Knoxville if he does. Covid has helped him, if he's done everything he can academically he could graduate as a RS sophomore and go play immediately anywhere in the country, I think you hinted LSU and other SEC teams might have showed some interest after last season, or maybe you just assumed they would come after him if entered into the portal, either way I think he's currently the odd man out in the current QB room.

Yes, you're the Joke. Here's a little TN history for you, JG was put in same spot, Josh Dobbs was put in same spot and several in between them and Condredge Holloway throughout the history of Tennessee football have been put in that same exact spot. The difference between BM and the rest are that BM has likely been recruited over and may never get to do what JG, Dobbs Condredge and many others who started out the same way and went on to accomplish success in Knoxville did. He may go on to do great things but like I've told you several times I don't think it'll be in Knoxville if he does. Covid has helped him, if he's done everything he can academically he could graduate as a RS sophomore and go play immediately anywhere in the country, I think you hinted LSU and other SEC teams might have showed some interest after last season, or maybe you just assumed they would come after him if entered into the portal, either way I think he's currently the odd man out in the current QB room.
But WHAT makes you so sure of that? Ranking out of Hs?

He has to know the offense. So, I think your sentiments are more likely to ring true somewhere deeper into the season.

PS:

Patrick Mahomes, 2014 Dual-threat quarterback - Rivals.com
I totally get it, but Mahomes was 6'3 190 as a Freshman, hardly ready physically. I think he plays around 230 lbs now. You never know about someone's mental game until they are thrown in the fire, you always know their limitations physically, I just feel like he's going to play, maybe not early but by midseason he'll push for playing time and will likely get it should JG struggle or get injured. I just don't see JT or BM winning SEC football games at this stage of their development and see him flying right past them both.

Reactions: vegasvolfan
I looked at those there were none nationally ranked....bottom line there was a huge talent gap....that was easy to see after the 1st 5 plays..

Lot of plunging into the unknown for your boy. There’s a reason they didn’t name him a starter and retool the offense to fit his strengths. Unknown factor and he hadn’t won it in practice. Also don’t think wholesale adjustments are as simple as you’re selling. No, I’m not a QB coach...I’m also not a sycophant for one player. UGA took back the lead with him still in the game and we were well behind Bama before Tua got hurt. We know you don’t need to see much with this kid...it’s in every post.

I can’t disagree with that given the past. I do think JG will be better with a second year in the system but I’m not sure how much better. A lot of the issues I see have nothing to do with systems or coordinators. They appear to be mental blocks on game days.
Mental blocks...excuses for not picking your boy as face of the program...whatevs.

VN Store

Back