Can JT Shrout take the # 2 QB Spot?

He can. Perhaps he will early. But by season’s end it has to be HB if you expect him to return to campus next year imo.

I’m content to put the onus on HB. If he isn’t the clear #2 by year’s end, it’s on him. That’s how it always has been (for successful PROGRAMS) and should be for us too. Lane Kiffen put a competitive TEAM on the field. Not a program. Light years of difference between the two. My understanding of HB is he wants to be part of building something. I reject your theory out of hand.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I think HB is likely #2 now and is basically QB1 in waiting, could be this season, will definitely next season in my opinion. I just don't believe a 5* QB came to UT to sit behind unheralded JT and BM. I also don't believe the scouts got it so wrong that not 1 but two 3* QBs are better than aforementioned 5*. Shrout and BM may get some time I just think it's a matter of time before HB is the guy.

Shrout is #2 right now and probably will be all year, but expect Bailey to push for the starters job next season. This Covid $hit hurt Harrison's development with Spring getting canceled a few practices in. Then a late start to fall camp for him. I really like Shrout, he probably has the best arm out of all our QB"S.

Bailey most likely isn't going to play much, if at all this year. And that's okay. Keep in mind that Shrout is a RS Sophomore, this is his 3rd year here. I'd expect him to be ahead of a freshman QB that has barely even had a fall camp. Again, that's fine. Going into next year, we will have another QB competition, and if HB is the best QB, then so be it.
No. Bailey is better than him. Maurer is better than him. JG is fools gold. And Shrout is of a similar mold.

I think HB is likely #2 now and is basically QB1 in waiting, could be this season, will definitely next season in my opinion. I just don't believe a 5* QB came to UT to sit behind unheralded JT and BM. I also don't believe the scouts got it so wrong that not 1 but two 3* QBs are better than aforementioned 5*. Shrout and BM may get some time I just think it's a matter of time before HB is the guy.
He didn't come to sit but given the circumstances, I think he understands if he's not gb#2. He didn't get the chance to beat any of them out. Time will tell. I do think he is as advertised tho and is our QB of the future. Interested to see if Salter stays committed and what he brings to the table. It will be interesting on rocky top soon to say the least.

No doubt but there is generally a pretty decisive talent gap between a blue chip QB and those with 3*. Most get the 5th star because they are physically ready to play day1 as a Fr. I think Bailey is going to play this season quite a bit.
Agreed. Bailey has been playing since he was a small child and started getting media attention for his talent since middle school if I'm not mistaken.

Watson, Lawrence, Fields and Fromm are only 4 to accomplish the numbers he put up in the toughest district at the highest level of GA high school football. He's a blue chipper and I think we'll see more of him than some think. He's gonna be the next Ben Roethlisberger type QB I feel.
He also missed a season. I imagine he would of put up even more rediculous numbers had he played all 4 seasons.

Just go to Rivals. One of their top players is DT ranked in the top 10 overall this year...😑.
Do you not agree that Marietta was much more talented?? Regardless of rankings...i mean white and gilbert were yards beyond thier secondary multiple time...and gilbert was jogging a couple times. Lol

Agreed. Bailey has been playing since he was a small child and started getting media attention for his talent since middle school if I'm not mistaken.
For the record a lot of basketball players are hyped from a young age but flame out in college once the talent levels out....different sport i know..

If you think HB was recruited here to sit behind Shrout and BM you're crazy.
Correct. Shrout was recruited by Helton. Pruitt liked Maurer who actually performed quite well at the elite 11 but gotta remember the short time Pruitt had to get recruits that season. Our QB room was very thin at the time.

For the record a lot of basketball players are hyped from a young age but flame out in college once the talent levels out....different sport i know..
I know busts happen. Still, it's easy to get excited about a QB that's been highly touted for years. He also led his team to a state championship in one of the hardest high school divisions in the country, AND went on to whoop a nationally ranked high school team from Washington.

I know busts happen. Still, it's easy to get excited about a QB that's been highly touted for years. He also led his team to a state championship in one of the hardest high school divisions in the country, AND went on to whoop a nationally ranked high school team from Washington.
Oh heck yea for sure.....i can't put my finger on it...and i don't know if he will be a true bust but I don't think he will be the savior everyone want...either way as long as he or whatever QB wins and helps the team..it wont matter

Correct. Shrout was recruited by Helton. Pruitt liked Maurer who actually performed quite well at the elite 11 but gotta remember the short time Pruitt had to get recruits that season. Our QB room was very thin at the time.
Maurer was recruited by Helton as well and signed off by Pruitt. It was Pruitts second year so he had time for the 2019 class. I think you’re thinking about the 2018 class with JTS when they didn’t have much time before signing day after hire. Also Pruitt offered weeks before “The Opening” and Maurer committed just days before the competition.

Too much talk about Bailey. People are letting their exhaustion with JG cloud their judgement. If Bailey plays this year it will likely be because of injuries or in garbage time. He’s a true freshmen that our fanbase is asking way too much of. He didn’t even get a true spring training session nor fall practice period due to COVID.

Whether you like it or not it’s going to be JG QB1 and likely Shrout QB2 with Bailey potentially taking that role a few weeks into the season if all other things hold constant.

Houstan Kress was on the radio the other day singing Bailey’s praises which does not help. We’re setting Bailey up to fail with these crazy expectations.

How often does a true freshmen actually come in from Day 1 and set the world on fire? Spoilers, it’s not often.
How often does a UT fan expect a 5* to come in and play like a 3 *, rather than do what they do at top schools across the country every year and start day 1 and excel? Spoiler, about 100 times more than most teams fans!

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
How often does a UT fan expect a 5* to come in and play like a 3 *, rather than do what they do at top schools across the country every year and start day 1 and excel? Spoiler, about 100 times more than most teams fans!
Reasonable expectations are warranted for the #99 recruit 4*. We aren't talking TL who honestly could've been drafted after 1 year, if not right out of HS. Different expectations for top 5 players and top 100 guys.

Unreasonably lofty expectations by fans don't help the kid. The coaches know how to and will handle it.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbones0711
Oh heck yea for sure.....i can't put my finger on it...and i don't know if he will be a true bust but I don't think he will be the savior everyone want...either way as long as he or whatever QB wins and helps the team..it wont matter
He doesn't have to be the savior, he just needs to manage the offense and be consistent. That goes for any of our QBs honestly. I watched several of his games. He is a good QB for sure. I hope whoever our QB is kicks ass! I support them all. GoVols

How about the ones who hit their talented targets in stride in high school but haven’t taken a snap in college yet? Bet you really hate them!
No. I don't "hate" any of them. Unproven is unproven. FWIW, my lasting memory of JG as a recruit was him hitting guys downfield in stride. It didn't translate.

With Maurer, I don't know if he will ever be a good QB for UT or anyone else. No need to read that statement any further than what I actually said.

No. I don't "hate" any of them. Unproven is unproven. FWIW, my lasting memory of JG as a recruit was him hitting guys downfield in stride. It didn't translate.

With Maurer, I don't know if he will ever be a good QB for UT or anyone else. No need to read that statement any further than what I actually said.
It’s fruit of the poisonous tree. Throughout our historic disagreements I’ve credited you with sniffing out bs. Now you’re cutting a lot of slack to one with some obvious bias towards one QB candidate whilst holding two Vol fans feet to the fire for theirs towards JG. I can honestly claim to have fairly weighed pros/cons and advocated for opportunity for every single QB on the roster. Never saw it for Kasim Hill but he doesn’t count anymore. Also haven’t ruled out Salter or any future Vol’s chances. It’s open mindedness without falsely claiming such.

It’s fruit of the poisonous tree. Throughout our historic disagreements I’ve credited you with sniffing out bs. Now you’re cutting a lot of slack to one with some obvious bias towards one QB candidate whilst holding two Vol fans feet to the fire for theirs towards JG. I can honestly claim to have fairly weighed pros/cons and advocated for opportunity for every single QB on the roster. Never saw it for Kasim Hill but he doesn’t count anymore. Also haven’t ruled out Salter or any future Vol’s chances. It’s open mindedness without falsely claiming such.
Oh aren’t you just so perfect

Bailey will likely not play this year.
You may be right. But I think he plays ... if for no other reason than game time and film to study.
The reason he might not make the field is because he does not have a good grasp of Chaney's system.
Think back to last year ... in year one ... None of the quarterbacks showed a good understanding of the system.
So, it would be a little bit surprising for a freshman to 'get it.'
On the other hand he is indisputably among the best quarterbacks to come out of Georgia.
So, 50/50 he makes it on the field.
Furthermore, almost every team in the SEC put two or more quarterbacks on the field LAST year ... AND we are going to be beating up each ... EVEN more this year with 10 SEC games.
I think 4 quarterbacks take snaps on the field this year. (Okay, fire those flaming arrows whenever you are ready. :^) )

Do you even realize that their “evaluation” process has very little to do with “individual” talent? That’s EXACTLY why they miss so often! THEY HAVE A 30% ACCURACY RATE! Which means you have a 70% chance of being wrong that there is a talent gap at all. Why? Because They wait to see who offers, account for TEAM ranking and how you do in camps (and which camp matters a great deal) to issue stars/rank. All the while the guys doing the “evaluating” ..... most never played the game much less the position. They look at very little film and even less live game action. There may not be a talent gap at all. In fact one if not both of those 3*s VERY WELL could be more talented than who THEY say is a 5*.
You are probaly correct. I know UT has likely sent more 3* to the NFL. Pruitt, Ansley,Chaney are good evaluators first and all can develop talent once it gets here. I trust these coaches opinions lots more than any recruiting service. Pruitt likes to see the movement of the feet and fluid motion of the hips to go along with speed. His specialty being DB's for quite some time.

VN Store

Back