Can JT Shrout take the # 2 QB Spot?

No doubt but there is generally a pretty decisive talent gap between a blue chip QB and those with 3*. Most get the 5th star because they are physically ready to play day1 as a Fr. I think Bailey is going to play this season quite a bit.

This is correct. The 5* ranking many players get is not because of talent necessarily, but that they are physically mature beyond their peers and ready to compete at the college level earlier. It’s most likely why the NFL is littered with guys that we’re not that highly ranked coming out of high school. They just needed a couple of years to develop physically at the college level

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
He was not a composite 5*, only on Rivals. He finished ranked #99 in composite. Which is not at all to poo poo on his ranking, only to give it much needed perspective. Some take that and think every top 100 QB will be the next star Freshman, like a #1 or #2 overall Lawrence or Fields, but that's a big gap tbh.

It could happen, but these are guys that were rated higher than HB. Then think about how long it took for some of them to develop:

Crompton #51
JG #79
Bray #99

Also had Ainge and Dobbs that were around 160th.
The 247 ratings from Ainge’s time are off. Brent Schaeffer was the more highly regarded of the two, though there wasn’t much difference.

I think HB is likely #2 now and is basically QB1 in waiting, could be this season, will definitely next season in my opinion. I just don't believe a 5* QB came to UT to sit behind unheralded JT and BM. I also don't believe the scouts got it so wrong that not 1 but two 3* QBs are better than aforementioned 5*. Shrout and BM may get some time I just think it's a matter of time before HB is the guy.

HB is a true freshman who didn't get the advantage of spring ball, then missed some early fall because of quarantine. It's not gong to matter if he is more talented than the 3* if he doesn't understand the offense, or understand what he is seeing from an SEC defense. No new QBs will get to take baby steps against OOC cupcake this season; all they will see is SEC defenses. HB will eventually be the starter, but it is no real shock that a 3 star, who has been here 2 years, might be viewed as more game ready than HB right now.

If you can’t get the point out of that...what’s the point in trying? 😏
I get the point your trying to make but if you can't see the difference between 1900 and 1100. And 4800 and 2000 then we should stop now...we wont know till the lights come on...✌

I get the point your trying to make but if you can't see the difference between 1900 and 1100. And 4800 and 2000 then we should stop now...we wont know till the lights come on...✌
Different teams, systems anything? How about the fact HB fed ANOTHER bonafide receiving talent in Ricky White...Michigan State signee? Your 1100 vs 1900 actually further make the point that Bailey was a legit talent...cuz his targets got MORE! Only on message boards do you get docked for getting the ball to your playmakers. 😏

Different teams, systems anything? How about the fact HB fed ANOTHER bonafide receiving talent in Ricky White...Michigan State signee? Your 1100 vs 1900 actually further make the point that Bailey was a legit talent...cuz his targets got MORE! Only on message boards do you get docked for getting the ball to your playmakers. 😏
Not at all....thats what you do as a QB....yeah 3300 yard to 2 guys....was it him or them...we dont know till he gets under center. The way guys are anointing him the next coming may be premature.....phillip sims was amazing in high school too....

Not at all....thats what you do as a QB....yeah 3300 yard to 2 guys....was it him or them...we dont know till he gets under center. The way guys are anointing him the next coming may be premature.....phillip sims was amazing in high school too....
I think you’re generalizing and painting everyone with a broad brush on this one. The solution to overdoing it on one end isn’t minimizing on the other.

I think you’re generalizing and painting everyone with a broad brush on this one. The solution to overdoing it on one end isn’t minimizing on the other.
If he wins games and lead ms us to beating the big 3 idgaf.....untill then its a wait and see for me...im not sold on any QB we have

Sims was never 6'5 230 lbs

I think HB is likely #2 now and is basically QB1 in waiting, could be this season, will definitely next season in my opinion. I just don't believe a 5* QB came to UT to sit behind unheralded JT and BM. I also don't believe the scouts got it so wrong that not 1 but two 3* QBs are better than aforementioned 5*. Shrout and BM may get some time I just think it's a matter of time before HB is the guy.

With so little information coming out of the practices I do not see how you can name a number 2 QB right now.

Reactions: LittleVol
No doubt but there is generally a pretty decisive talent gap between a blue chip QB and those with 3*. Most get the 5th star because they are physically ready to play day1 as a Fr. I think Bailey is going to play this season quite a bit.
Do you even realize that their “evaluation” process has very little to do with “individual” talent? That’s EXACTLY why they miss so often! THEY HAVE A 30% ACCURACY RATE! Which means you have a 70% chance of being wrong that there is a talent gap at all. Why? Because They wait to see who offers, account for TEAM ranking and how you do in camps (and which camp matters a great deal) to issue stars/rank. All the while the guys doing the “evaluating” ..... most never played the game much less the position. They look at very little film and even less live game action. There may not be a talent gap at all. In fact one if not both of those 3*s VERY WELL could be more talented than who THEY say is a 5*.

Reactions: lexkyvol
Did those 4 others that matched HB high school stats throw have a Gilbert type 5th ranked player to throw too??? 40% of his completions and yards were to Gilbert.
People don’t realize how big of a deal that is. Merietta was a defensive matchup nightmare. Gilbert was a man amongst boys in Hs. Can’t single cover him. #7 was a Power 5 D1 WR and probably the fastest guy on the field. Can’t single cover him either. Meanwhile they had a RB that was a complete beast himself. Along with HB and his o line that combination is a perfect storm for an RPO juggernaut. Hs teams simply don’t have the athletes to match up with that kind of talent.

People don’t realize how big of a deal that is. Merietta was a defensive matchup nightmare. Gilbert was a man amongst boys in Hs. Can’t single cover him. #7 was a Power 5 D1 WR and probably the fastest guy on the field. Can’t single cover him either. Meanwhile they had a RB that was a complete beast himself. Along with HB and his o line that combination is a perfect storm for an RPO juggernaut. Hs teams simply don’t have the athletes to match up with that kind of talent.
They are high school stats and dont mean crap till talent is equal!!!!...almost all his yards were between 3 guys....good for him getting the ball to them.. but did the yards come from great passing???IDK. We saw last season how JJ and MC made JG look better by fighting the way they did...we will see what HB brings

Reactions: 1vol8
They are high school stats and dont mean crap till talent is equal!!!!...almost all his yards were between 3 guys....good for him getting the ball to them.. but did the yards come from great passing???IDK. We saw last season how JJ and MC made JG look better by fighting the way they did...we will see what HB brings
I won’t win any popularity contests with this remark but if you look at any of HBs highlights you can count several that would’ve been picked off in the SEC because the talent of SEC DBs are equal to the talents of SEC receivers (in most cases). AG and #7 were just so much more talented than Hs secondaries tgat HB benefited greatly. I’ve brought it up before arguing with those that have “talent” and “opportunity” confused with each other.

I won’t win any popularity contests with this remark but if you look at any of HBs highlights you can count several that would’ve been picked off in the SEC because the talent of SEC DBs are equal to the talents of SEC receivers (in most cases). AG and #7 were just so much more talented than Hs secondaries tgat HB benefited greatly. I’ve brought it up before arguing with those that have “talent” and “opportunity” confused with each other.
I haven't watched highlights. I prefer full game film...but it wouldn't surprise me....i mean think how many times out WR had to adjust just to make a catch...

Reactions: 1vol8

VN Store

Back