Time no longer on College Football’s side: CBS

Tennessee still near the top 10 in testing both in per capita and total tests. Will probably hit the 1 million mark this week 94-95% negative and a 1% death rate....0.7% of population have tested positive 60% have recovered already View attachment 291192
Using this chart, minus the nursing home deaths by a 1/3 (1/3 being conservative) who most likely had comorbidties and you get a 0.4% mortality rate.

Reactions: VolnJC
At 85 you have a good chance of dying from anything. This graph is BS. I know tons of people that have had it including an 87 yr old man with COPD. Most didnt know they had it, including him. He was in a nursing home and 15 other people got it also. None of them died. Most of the symptoms lasted 2 days. If you want to wear your mask please go ahead and do you. My wife is a Nurse & a regional hospice manager for a large hospice company. Trust me, there are alot more deadly things out there to worry about than Covid.
During my 81 plus years of life, I quickly learned to never believe anyone who starts a sentence with “Trust me”. It is evident that you have no real knowledge about COVID-19 or Influenza. Therefore, I do not trust your statements in you posts on this subject. From you statements, you can not know anything about epidemiological data or how to interpret those data.

Exactly, which is why we must continue to live and learn to live with C-19. It's here; not going away. We can't cancel life; IMO we'll have a college football season. Too much depends on it..............

I agree with your premise. I agree we'll have a season but I don't think it will be as soon as you think. What happens when 5 defensive lineman, from any team, test positive. While they may be asymptomatic, they'll will still have to be quarantined for 14 days. That creates an unfair competitive advantage for an opponent who has had better luck with the virus. It's not the same as having untimely injuries. I'm all in with your optimism, I just don't see how a season can play out right now without a vaccine. Maybe the season can start early winter

We're never going to have a cure or a vaccine due to the nature of the illness. We've already identified some effective treatments. Fewer people are dying and the infection rate has "skyrocketed" largely due to an increase in testing. Here in Oregon, for instance, I have personally monitored the state's official website almost daily for the past several months. The number of confirmed cases has doubled over the past several weeks, but so has the number of people being tested. The percentage of negative test results has remained constant at about 96.5%. That means only about 3.5% of those who are judged to be in need of testing are actually testing positive.

We were always expecting there to be more cases. The quarantine was meant to ensure that we didn't overwhelm our resources at a time when we did not know how bad it might be and we needed time to prepare to deal with it. Now we have more cases and a declining death rate, which is exactly what we need. Hurd immunity is the way out. Those at greatest risk should continue to quarantine, of course. But the rest of us need to get on with our lives, while continuing to take reasonable precautions.

I agree 100%. I don't know why people can't understand when you test many more people the infectation rate will skyrocket. I look at hospitalization and fatality rate. The fatility rate is way down. Time to open back up and and take reasonable precautions. No need for further lock down.

Reactions: FBtime and Hacksaw
That's the point. And many young people themselves may not worry about their safety of they get it...but they may worry about giving it to an elderly/at risk family member or any elderly person. It's about not being a selfish prick.

Then wear a mask when they around older family members. Either the mask work or they don't. If they don't work then the experts need to stop telling us to wear them. If they do work, which i wear a mask in public, then wear it and the elderly are protected. No need to lock everything down.

Reactions: Hacksaw
It has to be remembered that Fauci lied to the US population regarding the effacy of masks for months. Lies tend to increase mistrust and skepticism regardless of country.

It's not one side politicizing this. Many "experts" and almost the entirety of the democratic/left/progressive side of this country was totally approving of suspension of social distancing in order to riot, loot, and create general mayhem.

If you're in Japan as your name suggests, I'm curious as to where your information as to the situation in the US is coming from.

Fauci has been wrong on so many occasions, I do not trust anything he has to say, He went from not anything to be concerned about, then to 2 million deaths, from mask doing more harm than good, then everyone should wear a mask. So I don't trust anything this man has to say..

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN

df2ee31659b487249c8079ed6ff7c518511598e7_hq.gif

Reactions: LittleVol
College ball ain't happening this Fall. Our students have to go to classes. It's basically impossible logistically to make it work. Plus, the 2nd wave will hit Oct/Nov and put the kibash on things again.

The prudent thing to do is postpone things until the Spring. Hopefully, we'll have treatments, and/or a vaccine/cure by then. Or, hey, maybe it just simply disappears.

If we're lucky, NFL should be a go this Fall. No fans though. Given where we are now, I'll take it.
Now why in the world would a second wave hit right at election time???

Let me see.......🤔

Reactions: cgrish
Where do you come up with all this BS?

(1) Your suggestion that we'll never have a cure/vaccine isn't supported by any mainstream science organizations that I'm aware of. If you have a link to some quack, go ahead and post it;

(2) Your claim that the percentage of people testing positive isn't increasing is wrong regarding the states where CV19 is out of control (FL, TX, AZ, CA, etc.);

View attachment 290968

View attachment 290969

(3) Thus your claim that infection rate has skyrocketed largely due to an increase in testing is similarly wrong; and

View attachment 290970

(4) It's not (Jalen) "Hurd" immunity, it's Herd immunity, as in a bunch of cows in a field.

Look, man, I don't mean to beat up your post to be a jerk about it. Just do everyone a favor and stop spreading unsupported garbage to rile up folks. Let the scientists do their job (find a cure), politicians do their's (lie), and we do ours (wait).

These are the charts that matter. Your so-called “out of control” “hot spots” don’t stay that way for long:

5E2AD078-920A-4263-908C-D63A62A56CA8.jpeg

2AFA1D7E-9298-491C-845A-17A54173622B.jpeg

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Well Clay will be happy to know that the source he’s using listed 919 deaths for Tuesday so maybe we’re not out of the woods just yet
And right at 900 again today. I hope these last two days have been an anomaly and not the start of a trend

Reactions: 08Vol
It wasn't magic that caused the abatement, it was doing the "crazy" and unpopular things that brought the hotspots under control.

Why have they stayed “under control” even after the Draconian measures were lifted (specifically Italy)?

Answer (that doesn’t fit your narrative): only so much of the population is predisposed to contract CV19.

Then wear a mask when they around older family members. Either the mask work or they don't. If they don't work then the experts need to stop telling us to wear them. If they do work, which i wear a mask in public, then wear it and the elderly are protected. No need to lock everything down.
Like most things, it’s not binary like that. They almost certainly help. How much is uncertain. If they’re 50% effective, that’s amazing and still far from the on/off scenario you described.

We don’t have a silver bullet, just a bunch of little things that incrementally reduce individual risk that can have significant aggregate impacts at large scales if enough people do them.

Why have they stayed “under control” even after the Draconian measures were lifted (specifically Italy)?

Answer (that doesn’t fit your narrative): only so much of the population is predisposed to contract CV19.
Effective contact tracing and risk mitigation? The stuff that everyone should have been setting up but that only hot spots were sufficiently motivated to do in the us...

Where are you getting your last sentence from? I’d love to find out if I’m one of the predisposed or not. I haven’t heard of such a thing.

And right at 900 again today. I hope these last two days have been an anomaly and not the start of a trend

Looks like today will be around 700 reported deaths. This virus is destroying so many lives and it appears to be picking up steam. Cases have been rising for weeks. Hospitalizations have been going up in the hardest hit states. With hospitalizations going up we should expect to see deaths continue to increase in those states.

edit: death toll climbed to 960, some states release multiple updates throughout the day.

Last edited:
Looks like today will be around 700 reported deaths. This virus is destroying so many lives and it appears to be picking up steam. Cases have been rising for weeks. Hospitalizations have been going up in the hardest hit states. With hospitalizations going up we should expect to see deaths continue to increase in those states.

700 is way lower than April and may and most of June. Thing is weakening and death rate has dropped. People really do not actually think. See the fear headlines about rocketing cases and then think 700 deaths are a ton. We were having 2000 plus a day before. Dang it. CDC said deaths have dropped to where it’s NOT AN EPIDEMIC in the US anymore.

Nearly everyone in Japan wore masks, and whaddya know? There aren't tens of thousands of new cases everyday over here, and things are even re-opening safely. Fauci didn't lie about anything, people in the US just think the virus is some liberal sham even though it's affected nearly every country on the planet.

I'm not going to respond to your second point because you've made it pretty clear how you feel about things.

I get my information from US-based media, as well as my mother in Walland, my brother in Alcoa, and my father in Maryville, along with my other friends and family in East TN and across the States.

I went to Japan, late 90’s or so. I was struck by how many people were wearing masks.

Whether on a train, or waiting at a taxi stand, etc...and it was to be courteous to others.

Also ate in the cleanest McDonalds EVER!

Anyway, when all this Covid-19 stuff started I thought of those folks, and I thought, I reckon that ain’t a bad idea.

It ain’t difficult, maybe a little inconvenient and if It protects the folks that spend 8 hours a day in the stores, I can do that...

Effective contact tracing and risk mitigation? The stuff that everyone should have been setting up but that only hot spots were sufficiently motivated to do in the us...

Where are you getting your last sentence from? I’d love to find out if I’m one of the predisposed or not. I haven’t heard of such a thing.

53ED8436-D725-42ED-A21C-AECD3AF494A9.jpeg

Hard to reason with this....

700 is way lower than April and may and most of June. Thing is weakening and death rate has dropped. People really do not actually think. See the fear headlines about rocketing cases and then think 700 deaths are a ton. We were having 2000 plus a day before. Dang it. CDC said deaths have dropped to where it’s NOT AN EPIDEMIC in the US anymore.

700 is lower than April b/c it was ravaging NYC, NJ, and Detroit after spending weeks spreading without being tracked. If our test capacity in March was similar to what it is now then we would have seen cases rising then with a low death toll. Then a month later we would have seen the death toll rise.

The virus has only slightly weakened. Lockdowns, social distancing, mask usage, and an increased understanding by medical professionals have lead to deaths dropping. But since lockdowns have been lifted and people are ignoring social distancing and mask usage the numbers are starting to go back up again.

Deaths from this virus are a result from infections that took place weeks ago. The Broadway actor in New York that just died from this was in the hospital for 95 days. There is a long delay between infection and death.

Putting this concept in football terms, look how long it takes to see the results of a top recruiting class. If we beat Bama this year it won’t be b/c of our 2020 class, it will be the result of years of recruits coming in and working hard. Also if we have an amazing rushing attack fans will say “Pruitt put a lot of work into building an elite O-line.” How many would say “Pruitt didn’t need to spend so much effort working on the O-line. The D-lines in the SEC have gotten a lot weaker this year.”

I went to Japan, late 90’s or so. I was struck by how many people were wearing masks.

Whether on a train, or waiting at a taxi stand, etc...and it was to be courteous to others.

Also ate in the cleanest McDonalds EVER!

Anyway, when all this Covid-19 stuff started I thought of those folks, and I thought, I reckon that ain’t a bad idea.

It ain’t difficult, maybe a little inconvenient and if It protects the folks that spend 8 hours a day in the stores, I can do that...

People in China were wearing mask before covid19, many still Got it

People in China were wearing mask before covid19, many still Got it

I don’t think I have ever heard it will completely keep you safe. It’s just a precaution the average person can take.

I don’t view at as something the government makes me do. It seems like common sense and common decency.

I have never said a word to anybody about not wearing, but have gotten a few negative comments and bad looks for wearing one.

It don’t bother me none.

VN Store

Back