Time no longer on College Football’s side: CBS

I don't know where I ever said I approved of anything.

I also don't know what source you cited above, but if you click the links provided it's pretty clear that they were stressing masks should be reserved for healthcare workers / the infected in the pandemic's initial stages. As an example, I couldn't buy masks here for about a month because the public went into a panic. They didn't want the same happening in the US, it seems.

Anyway, my father is a Vietnam veteran who lost his leg and has ongoing health issues due to Agent Orange. My mother is an Iraq War veteran who also has lingering health issues due to her time in the Army. My brother is an asthmatic who couldn't join the services due to asthma attacks at basic. All three of them are vulnerable and I'll be damned if I don't get to see one of them again because of public ignorance and a total lack of leadership.

How would lack of leadership eliminate your ability to see them again?

We're never going to have a cure or a vaccine due to the nature of the illness. We've already identified some effective treatments. Fewer people are dying and the infection rate has "skyrocketed" largely due to an increase in testing. Here in Oregon, for instance, I have personally monitored the state's official website almost daily for the past several months. The number of confirmed cases has doubled over the past several weeks, but so has the number of people being tested. The percentage of negative test results has remained constant at about 96.5%. That means only about 3.5% of those who are judged to be in need of testing are actually testing positive.

We were always expecting there to be more cases. The quarantine was meant to ensure that we didn't overwhelm our resources at a time when we did not know how bad it might be and we needed time to prepare to deal with it. Now we have more cases and a declining death rate, which is exactly what we need. Hurd immunity is the way out. Those at greatest risk should continue to quarantine, of course. But the rest of us need to get on with our lives, while continuing to take reasonable precautions.

Best post/explanation on this health problem I have heard/read by any source. "Hurd Immunity" is likely the only way out. Damn thing keeps mutating just a little as stated by health officials. (case in point 3 different reactions by NY, Chicago, Seattle) It appears to me that this virus seems to be somewhat like some illnesses from my childhood were acknowledged to be. Some people had the germ but didn't have the sickness. They were said to be carriers. Like we say many people are now "asymptomatic" as it relates to C-19. Are these people just carriers? If so there is little or no way to stop the spread of C-19 just have to live with it until it is absorbed into society. This thing can'ya reminds me of the the native Americans plight with diseases introduced by Europeans when they "discovered" the new world.

Reactions: Hacksaw
College ball ain't happening this Fall. Our students have to go to classes. It's basically impossible logistically to make it work. Plus, the 2nd wave will hit Oct/Nov and put the kibash on things again.

The prudent thing to do is postpone things until the Spring. Hopefully, we'll have treatments, and/or a vaccine/cure by then. Or, hey, maybe it just simply disappears.

If we're lucky, NFL should be a go this Fall. No fans though. Given where we are now, I'll take it.
Interesting. Just in time for the elections.

Reactions: preacherwebb
Where do you come up with all this BS?

(1) Your suggestion that we'll never have a cure/vaccine isn't supported by any mainstream science organizations that I'm aware of. If you have a link to some quack, go ahead and post it;

(2) Your claim that the percentage of people testing positive isn't increasing is wrong regarding the states where CV19 is out of control (FL, TX, AZ, CA, etc.);

View attachment 290968

View attachment 290969

(3) Thus your claim that infection rate has skyrocketed largely due to an increase in testing is similarly wrong; and

View attachment 290970

(4) It's not (Jalen) "Hurd" immunity, it's Herd immunity, as in a bunch of cows in a field.

Look, man, I don't mean to beat up your post to be a jerk about it. Just do everyone a favor and stop spreading unsupported garbage to rile up folks. Let the scientists do their job (find a cure), politicians do their's (lie), and we do ours (wait).

I like your presentation, but "finding a cure" ---- There will be no "silver bullet". How long did it take to eradicate measles, or polio? Seems I just read a few weeks ago that it was only in the last 10-12 years they were eradicated. (seems now they were wrong, both are coming back a little). So "herd" is the most likely answer for recovery to the point c-19 can be dealt with. LIFE GOES ON....

Reactions: MontyPython
We're never going to have a cure or a vaccine due to the nature of the illness. We've already identified some effective treatments. Fewer people are dying and the infection rate has "skyrocketed" largely due to an increase in testing. Here in Oregon, for instance, I have personally monitored the state's official website almost daily for the past several months. The number of confirmed cases has doubled over the past several weeks, but so has the number of people being tested. The percentage of negative test results has remained constant at about 96.5%. That means only about 3.5% of those who are judged to be in need of testing are actually testing positive.

We were always expecting there to be more cases. The quarantine was meant to ensure that we didn't overwhelm our resources at a time when we did not know how bad it might be and we needed time to prepare to deal with it. Now we have more cases and a declining death rate, which is exactly what we need. Hurd immunity is the way out. Those at greatest risk should continue to quarantine, of course. But the rest of us need to get on with our lives, while continuing to take reasonable precautions.
Herd immunity doesn’t look promising or even possible

Coronavirus herd immunity may be 'unachievable' because antibodies disappear after a few weeks in some people

Reactions: 08Vol
I want football and sports back as much as any of you all, but I'm trying to remain realistic about the actual possibility of that happening. It just seems logistically like it will be a nightmare to pull off. Schools have a different set of liabilities than professionals do and thus you're going to see them treat the season differently than the NFL or MLB might.

Not to mention the pure logistical nightmares this will cause if someone tests positive during the season (which is almost a certainty) because right now there is no roadmap for how this will be handled. I can easily see a scenario where teams have players test positive yet they lie about the results. For example, if Justin Fields tests positive 12 hours before OSU's game against Michigan, you think Ryan Day is sitting his ass on the bench? Or what happens if a team has a dozen or more players test positive in the week leading up to a game?

It just feels like there are too many "what if" situations to work through, and regardless of whether or not these young and healthy men are at serious risk of death from the virus or not I can't see schools willing to play Russian roulette with their liability. All it takes is one student athlete's family to sue a university for negligence and the floodgates will open up.

three of four in my house are positive and I go for test today. Let me tell ya, they are not suffering any ill effects at all! Maybe an occasional fever or mild headache but nothing like a bad cold! I'm telling ya, they are feeding us a load of BS! I'm not afraid of it at all and I'm over seventy!

that's why most of the Clemson players who tested positive showed no symptoms!

lets get on with our lives people!

Tennessee still near the top 10 in testing both in per capita and total tests. Will probably hit the 1 million mark this week 94-95% negative and a 1% death rate....0.7% of population have tested positive 60% have recovered already 20200707_121956.jpg

Reactions: cgrish
Best post/explanation on this health problem I have heard/read by any source. "Hurd Immunity" is likely the only way out. Damn thing keeps mutating just a little as stated by health officials. (case in point 3 different reactions by NY, Chicago, Seattle) It appears to me that this virus seems to be somewhat like some illnesses from my childhood were acknowledged to be. Some people had the germ but didn't have the sickness. They were said to be carriers. Like we say many people are now "asymptomatic" as it relates to C-19. Are these people just carriers? If so there is little or no way to stop the spread of C-19 just have to live with it until it is absorbed into society. This thing can'ya reminds me of the the native Americans plight with diseases introduced by Europeans when they "discovered" the new world.
Yep, the native Americans gave us tobacco, and we gave them syphilis. I’d say that’s a fair trade.

College ball ain't happening this Fall. Our students have to go to classes. It's basically impossible logistically to make it work. Plus, the 2nd wave will hit Oct/Nov and put the kibash on things again.

The prudent thing to do is postpone things until the Spring. Hopefully, we'll have treatments, and/or a vaccine/cure by then. Or, hey, maybe it just simply disappears.

If we're lucky, NFL should be a go this Fall. No fans though. Given where we are now, I'll take it.

None of that is going to happen. Except maybe a vaccine. There is no such thing as a “cure” for a virus. A vaccine just allows you to get antibodies to fight the virus. Which can also be achieved by herd immunity. So.... there’s a better chance that people just get the antibodies by being exposed then there being a vaccine fast enough.

4/15 30,269 new cases 138,095 tests percent positive 22% hospitalized 59,539

7/05 42,582 new cases 655,510 tests percent positive 6% hospitalized 38,734
https://covidtracking.com/data/us-daily

Why did you leave off June 15th hospitalized? They dropped down to 27,778. Is it because that data would show that hospitalizations had drastically dropped since April but then increased 11,000 in less than a month?

You presented 2 data points, hoping people would see it as a straight line from point A to point B over the time between those points. The truth is a graph of hospitalizations from April to July would look more like a V

Reactions: ru4real-really?
Why did you leave off June 15th hospitalized? They dropped down to 27,778. Is it because that data would show that hospitalizations had drastically dropped since April but then increased 11,000 in less than a month?

You presented 2 data points, hoping people would see it as a straight line from point A to point B over the time between those points. The truth is a graph of hospitalizations from April to July would look more like a V
And all 3 dates were well below projections...the lockdown worked and now it's time to go back to work and school 20200704_075810.jpg

Yep, the native Americans gave us tobacco, and we gave them syphilis. I’d say that’s a fair trade.

Was not necessarily referring to American Indians, but had central Americans in mine. Most prominent in my mind was small pox which came close to single-handedly wiping out whole societies. Took many north American Indians also.

From reading the article I get the feeling everyone just assumed there would be a season and nobody has seriously put together any alternate scenario. Which means we're in an "oh ****!" situation without any real roadmap or plan and there probably isn't going to be a season.

Yep, it’s CFB’s version of Georgia State last year.

VN Store

Back