Time no longer on College Football’s side: CBS

We're never going to have a cure or a vaccine due to the nature of the illness. We've already identified some effective treatments. Fewer people are dying and the infection rate has "skyrocketed" largely due to an increase in testing. Here in Oregon, for instance, I have personally monitored the state's official website almost daily for the past several months. The number of confirmed cases has doubled over the past several weeks, but so has the number of people being tested. The percentage of negative test results has remained constant at about 96.5%. That means only about 3.5% of those who are judged to be in need of testing are actually testing positive.

We were always expecting there to be more cases. The quarantine was meant to ensure that we didn't overwhelm our resources at a time when we did not know how bad it might be and we needed time to prepare to deal with it. Now we have more cases and a declining death rate, which is exactly what we need. Hurd immunity is the way out. Those at greatest risk should continue to quarantine, of course. But the rest of us need to get on with our lives, while continuing to take reasonable precautions.
Nail on the head.

Texas Cities Concerned Coronavirus Cases Could Overwhelm Hospitals within Two Weeks

In Houston, coronavirus hospitalizations have risen 44 percent over the past week, and mayor Sylvester Turner said the area’s hospital system could be in “serious trouble” in two weeks if the spread of the virus is not controlled.

“The number of people who are getting sick and going to the hospitals has exponentially increased. The number of people in our ICU beds has exponentially increased,” Turner said. “In fact, if we don’t get our hands around this virus quickly, in about two weeks our hospital system could be in serious, serious trouble.”

Austin mayor Steve Adler said the situation is potentially more dire in his city, warning that hospital intensive-care units could be at capacity between the next ten days to two weeks if the current rate of hospitalized patients continues.

View attachment 291009
How large were the protests in Houston and Austin?

It's important to keep in mind that the citizens and leadership in those countries took the threat seriously, adhered to lockdown / quarantine guidelines, wore masks, and otherwise made a collective effort to stem the spread of the disease

Life in Japan (excluding Tokyo) has been mostly normal for the past two months because people here wore masks, followed social distancing guidelines, and leadership took the virus seriously. My prefecture has reported just 2 new cases since May.

Because people worked together and addressed the threat, life is somewhat returning to normal. This includes sports, the ability to go out to bars and restaurants, and the ability to gather with people you don't normally see every day.

(This next part is not specifically addressed to you, dobre; I don't know how you feel about things).

It's not "fear" or "cowardice" or a symptom of "the wussification of America" to wear a mask or temporarily live your life in such a way to prevent others from getting infected. No one cares about your posturing or "bravery". If you wanna be a selfish douche, fine; that's your right as an American. If you want sports back, be a selfish douche while following distancing and mask guidelines.

America is the only country on the planet where people politicize trying to stay healthy. It's downright embarrassing.

It has to be remembered that Fauci lied to the US population regarding the effacy of masks for months. Lies tend to increase mistrust and skepticism regardless of country.

It's not one side politicizing this. Many "experts" and almost the entirety of the democratic/left/progressive side of this country was totally approving of suspension of social distancing in order to riot, loot, and create general mayhem.

If you're in Japan as your name suggests, I'm curious as to where your information as to the situation in the US is coming from.

Vaccine sure. Cure for a virus? Hasn’t happened for thousands of years.
Not many treatments for viruses because they are usually self-limiting infections. Also, medical progress the last 10 years has allowed for discovery in this area.

Google: Harvoni, one of a few cures for Hepatitis C.

Tamiflu decreases duration and severity of influenza symptoms as well. While not a cure, still is progress towards a virus.

Vaccines are a mainstay for virus prevention, but therapies and cures are being developed.

Reactions: kiddiedoc
plus Ive seen where the COVID anitbodies have disappeared after a 2-3 months -- but yeah the media can keep pushing this false hope for a so called vaccine every day
yes, that may be true. However, antibodies to influenza vaccines are not permanent either. Also, the addition of an adjuvent can also bring a stronger immune response as well.

My current best guess is that we will get COVID and Influenza shots annually until the COVID component is added to the influenza vaccine annually.

It has to be remembered that Fauci lied to the US population regarding the effacy of masks for months. Lies tend to increase mistrust and skepticism regardless of country.

It's not one side politicizing this. Many "experts" and almost the entirety of the democratic/left/progressive side of this country was totally approving of suspension of social distancing in order to riot, loot, and create general mayhem.

If you're in Japan as your name suggests, I'm curious as to where your information as to the situation in the US is coming from.

Nearly everyone in Japan wore masks, and whaddya know? There aren't tens of thousands of new cases everyday over here, and things are even re-opening safely. Fauci didn't lie about anything, people in the US just think the virus is some liberal sham even though it's affected nearly every country on the planet.

I'm not going to respond to your second point because you've made it pretty clear how you feel about things.

I get my information from US-based media, as well as my mother in Walland, my brother in Alcoa, and my father in Maryville, along with my other friends and family in East TN and across the States.

Nearly everyone in Japan wore masks, and whaddya know? There aren't tens of thousands of new cases everyday over here, and things are even re-opening safely. Fauci didn't lie about anything, people in the US just think the virus is some liberal sham even though it's affected nearly every country on the planet.

I'm not going to respond to your second point because you've made it pretty clear how you feel about things.

I get my information from US-based media, as well as my mother in Walland, my brother in Alcoa, and my father in Maryville, along with my other friends and family in East TN and across the States.
Can't get the Rona if you don't test for the Rona
Japan 159th in per capita testing 500k total tests
Tennessee 900k tests

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Can't get the Rona if you don't test for the Rona
Japan 159th in per capita testing 500k total tests
Tennessee 900k tests
I agree 100% that Japan hasn't administered enough tests. My posts were generally directed at the public's / local leaders' responses over here compared to those of the US. Still, Japan's total deaths are 1% of the US's total deaths. Something must be working.

Reactions: 08Vol and VolnJC

Fauci was asked yesterday by financial news outlet The Street why the U.S. government didn’t promote masks early on during the pandemic. Fauci, who sits on the Trump regime’s zombie-like coronavirus task force, hinted that he knew masks worked, he just wanted any available masks to be saved for health care workers.

All we need to do is look at the things that Fauci was saying back in February—a time before most Americans were taking the threat of covid-19 seriously and people like Donald Trump were assuming it was just a problem for the Chinese government.
“There is no reason for anyone right now in the United States, with regard to coronavirus, to wear a mask,” Fauci told Spectrum News DC on February 14.

On February 17, he recalled stories of people asking whether it was safe to travel, ridiculing the idea that it might not be wise to get on a plane. “I was getting calls from people in Sacramento saying, ‘Can I get on an airplane to go to Seattle?’” Fauci told USA Today on February 17. “Like, what? What does that got to do with anything?”

“There’s no reason to be walking around with a mask,” Fauci told 60 Minutes on CBS during an interview that aired March 8. “When you’re in the middle of an outbreak, wearing a mask might make people feel a little bit better and it might even block a droplet, but it’s not providing the perfect protection that people think that it is. And, often, there are unintended consequences—people keep fiddling with the mask and they keep touching their face.”

Reactions: Big Al Orange

Instead, Fauci and other top government officials made fun of people who wanted to wear a mask. U.S. Surgeon General Jerome Adams even told people on February 29 to stop buying masks because they don’t work.
“Seriously people- STOP BUYING MASKS!” Adams tweeted. “They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus, but if healthcare providers can’t get them to care for sick patients, it puts them and our communities at risk!”

You ignoring the danger and hipocrisy of the approval of mass amounts of people in the streets during this dangerous time makes it pretty clear how you feel.

You ignoring the danger and hipocrisy of the approval of mass amounts of people in the streets during this dangerous time makes it pretty clear how you feel.
I don't know where I ever said I approved of anything.

I also don't know what source you cited above, but if you click the links provided it's pretty clear that they were stressing masks should be reserved for healthcare workers / the infected in the pandemic's initial stages. As an example, I couldn't buy masks here for about a month because the public went into a panic. They didn't want the same happening in the US, it seems.

Anyway, my father is a Vietnam veteran who lost his leg and has ongoing health issues due to Agent Orange. My mother is an Iraq War veteran who also has lingering health issues due to her time in the Army. My brother is an asthmatic who couldn't join the services due to asthma attacks at basic. All three of them are vulnerable and I'll be damned if I don't get to see one of them again because of public ignorance and a total lack of leadership.

The flu to covid19 comparison is pointless. At the end of the day it's effecting our lives and will continue to. You can waste time complaining about it or you can do what you have to not to spread it. None of our opinions matter.

How dare you!
Vol Opinions Matter!

I am 50

I have a 25 year old gf (humble brag, hehe)

When we hang out with my friends: wear masks religiously, listen to The Smiths/The Cure, use hand sanitizer a couple times per night, thoughtfully distance, and eat lobster/steak while we drink good red wine from someone's cellar

When we hang out with her friends: no masks on a one of them, watch them share water bottles and kiss all over each other, listen to Bassnectar, eat fajitas with same fork from a common pot, drink White Claw

It is night and day, why I got tested Monday, and why this COVID thing is not going away anytime soon

IMHO football ain't happening any time soon with the attitude these days. Actually walked into a Walmart in western CO while camping that had a sign out front: this is a no mask zone. WTF?

Hey sugar daddy, no offense but I'm 70 and had much rather hang out with her friends

Yes, but what did you have to pay for it?

I only get the good stuff. My bottom only gets the very best. I will wear shoes with holes in them, underwear that most people would have chunked 3 fathers days ago, but when it come to the ole bung hole... ONLY the best. Charmin baby.

I think was 6 bucks for the 8 pack which is about right. They have the extra, extra, big roles.. or whatever marketing term they use to describe their massive size rolls of butt tissue.

I must admit, it was really nice to go into the grocery store and be able to purchase everything that I needed and not have anyone looking funny at me because I got 2 packs of ground chuck, and 2 packs of rib-eyes. I have a family, and we eat at home, a lot!

I also have always had a garden that the kiddos must help to take care or they don't get any of the goodies out of it. I guess we are modern day pioneers with an ip address!

I am 50

I have a 25 year old gf (humble brag, hehe)

When we hang out with my friends: wear masks religiously, listen to The Smiths/The Cure, use hand sanitizer a couple times per night, thoughtfully distance, and eat lobster/steak while we drink good red wine from someone's cellar

When we hang out with her friends: no masks on a one of them, watch them share water bottles and kiss all over each other, listen to Bassnectar, eat fajitas with same fork from a common pot, drink White Claw

It is night and day, why I got tested Monday, and why this COVID thing is not going away anytime soon

IMHO football ain't happening any time soon with the attitude these days. Actually walked into a Walmart in western CO while camping that had a sign out front: this is a no mask zone. WTF?

With that kind of lifestyle, who needs football?

Reactions: Smellvin
College ball ain't happening this Fall. Our students have to go to classes. It's basically impossible logistically to make it work. Plus, the 2nd wave will hit Oct/Nov and put the kibash on things again.

The prudent thing to do is postpone things until the Spring. Hopefully, we'll have treatments, and/or a vaccine/cure by then. Or, hey, maybe it just simply disappears.

If we're lucky, NFL should be a go this Fall. No fans though. Given where we are now, I'll take it.
Please, the CDC is ready to take ronas epidemic status away

Reactions: RDU VOL#14

VN Store

Back