Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure some are bullish on South Carolina because Hilinski is back, Bobo as OC, and a new S&C hire. I don’t see the reason for their level of optimism. But, that’s just my opinion.
They've recruited well (for them) too, so they should have at least decent talent all around. Last 4 classes have been ranked 21, 18, 21, 18.

Reactions: TurnoverTrashCan
China and any other country with a billion people is a cesspool idk why the media nor politicians ever hold them accountable for being corrupt and totally ignoring human rights.
Because they literally make all of our ish. From electronics to trinkets it was probably made in China. About the only North American manufacturing we have left is ironically due to NAFTA which at the time was hardly good for workers. But our corporations are so greedy that even Mexico,South America and India are too good for them. We want it made super cheap and super fast and we don’t care if virtual slaves make it.

I doubt that. McShay has him ranked 30 overall in the upcoming class. That doesn't translate to UDFA. He would've been a 3rd round pick at worst.
“Upcoming”. That’s a projection based on him being healthy two consecutive seasons. 6th at best if he had declared.

Reactions: TurnoverTrashCan
Arizona just reinstituted closings of bars and limitations of gatherings over 50. I know of some churches in Tennessee who have seen an uptick in confirmed cases. This is the first time I have been actually concerned you may not see college or professional football. A sport can’t override a state limitation on gatherings (as far as I know...I could be wrong). Just seems like everything is trending the wrong direction
My biggest question is that are the uptick in positive cases actually sick, or are they people being tested because they have been in contact with a sick positive or just want to know if they are carrying or have had the virus? There is so little info out there that I know of telling us about what percentage of all of these positives are actually sick.

I don’t understand the FPI prediction. Why so low and what is with the incredibly low chance against Oklahoma? I don’t expect a win but 12 percent is absurd. So is theirs and everyone else’s predictions that Florida will be an easier game than UGA or OU.
if I recall correctly, the three biggest factors in the FPI are previous season record, returning offensive production, and roster talent. Our previous record was mediocre, our talent level is worse than four teams that we play, and we lost most of our offensive production from last year on a relatively bad offense. Personally, i think the predictions are undervaluing how good our defense will be (partly because on paper we are only decently talented). I think we will play pretty much everybody close.

My biggest question is that are the uptick in positive cases actually sick, or are they people being tested because they have been in contact with a sick positive or just want to know if they are carrying or have had the virus? There is so little info out there that I know of telling us about what percentage of all of these positives are actually sick.
That's classified information. You know you can't be informed and have a level head in this situation

Deaths are a lagging indicator and about the only way to tell how serious these cases are. Is "not sick" a asymptomatic or is it just a high fever with no permanent damage?

You would expect deaths to start ticking up significantly this week and next given how fast Arizona and Florida have been catching positive cases. Of course, that's assuming the people getting sick aren't younger than average, which would help, and that hospitals don't have to start rationing care, which would not. We will see, as a resident of Arizona, I am very disappointed the summer heat hasn't seemed to help us at all.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
atta boy.... written notes and letters has become a lost art, and they are more meaningful now than they ever have been. We live in a world of disingenuous socialization, and the old time face-to-face and hard copy writing is much better.

I don't disagree. I just don't want to bother the HR head with so many thank you's and things. But that's probably because I'm overthinking since I really want this job.

Hospitalizations are increasing, so at least some subset of the increases are real.

Deaths are a lagging indicator and about the only way to tell how serious these cases are. Is "not sick" a asymptomatic or is it just a high fever with no permanent damage?

You would expect deaths to start ticking up significantly this week and next given how fast Arizona and Florida have been catching positive cases. Of course, that's assuming the people getting sick aren't younger than average, which would help, and that hospitals don't have to start rationing care, which would not. We will see, as a resident of Arizona, I am very disappointed the summer heat hasn't seemed to help us at all.

Depends on how you define "help us". Cases are way up, but *so far* outcomes are much better. There are several good reasons for improved outcomes, but we'll see if the trend continues.

if I recall correctly, the three biggest factors in the FPI are previous season record, returning offensive production, and roster talent. Our previous record was mediocre, our talent level is worse than four teams that we play, and we lost most of our offensive production from last year on a relatively bad offense. Personally, i think the predictions are undervaluing how good our defense will be (partly because on paper we are only decently talented). I think we will play pretty much everybody close.

Jennings and Calloway were huge losses but they're not accounting for what we all witnessed: the emergence of Eric Gray. Gray combined with Chandler and a very stout oline is going to not only make the running game a threat he's going to open up the passing game in a way we haven't seen since Dobbs was here. That changes everything about our offense and gives it a far greater potential than it has had since Kamara/Dobbs etc. were here. Also, Josh Palmer is a legit WR threat. He was the best pure WR on the roster last season and finished 2nd overall behind JJ. He is very much undervalued and overlooked by analysts that only had JJ and Calloway on the radar but he had a very good junior campaign and is set to have an even better senior year if the trajectory he's been on holds. What we need are two more WRs to step up and join him. I think we're ok but not great at TE which is about where we were last year. TBH, tho it's hard to count offense as losing much production given that we quite simply had an unproductive offense and a lot of that was due to lacking a consistent threat in the running game.

And yes, our defense is being criminally undervalued. That said, I still don't see where FPI is coming from. How is South Carolina better on paper?

Depends on how you define "help us". Cases are way up, but *so far* outcomes are much better. There are several good reasons for improved outcomes, but we'll see if the trend continues.

By help I really meant with transmission rates. We don't have any big weather variables that I would associate with making the disease worse - real cold, humidity, that sort of thing. The only upshot is that a lot of people who have it probably caught it in bars, which skews young, unless of course you find yourself in the right cougar bar in Scottsdale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back