JG’s Growth at QB

Under the very best of circumstances... it is difficult for a Fr to play well and avoid mistakes. I'm not sure he could have been "ready" even if all that time had been invested in him. A Fr is still usually limited. It should have been enough to "fix" JG's play... and wasn't.
That’s been my point all along. Even with a fully invested coaching staff it’s unfair to expect so much from a freshman. However in Maurers case it’s even more unfair due to how the off season was handled going in and the timing in which they decided to make the switch. I see it as no different than calling a kid stupid for not being able to teach HIMSELF calculus within 2 weeks because his teacher didn’t teach.

Reactions: sjt18
Under the very best of circumstances... it is difficult for a Fr to play well and avoid mistakes. I'm not sure he could have been "ready" even if all that time had been invested in him. A Fr is still usually limited. It should have been enough to "fix" JG's play... and wasn't.
I think you’re exactly right. I doubt they ever envisioned Maurer taking anything close to a meaningful snap last year.

I think you’re exactly right. I doubt they ever envisioned Maurer taking anything close to a meaningful snap last year.
But holding HIM accountable for the fact that THEY didn’t is just plain wrong. Regardless of your view on Maurer himself that’s a coaching fail. Not a qb issue.

Reactions: Chippo
But holding HIM accountable for the fact that THEY didn’t is just plain wrong. Regardless of your view on Maurer himself that’s a coaching fail. Not a qb issue.
As I've mentioned before, I don't think it was a coaching fail. They looked at what they had and made what I consider a pretty reasonable assessment. They thought pouring that time and effort into JG offered the best chance of success.

I've made hundreds of "reasonable" risk assessments like that... that failed. The coaches seemed to feel they'd made a good call... until the lights came on and a player they didn't recognize took the field against GSU and BYU. I sympathize in part because I can relate to putting trust in someone I chose for a job only to have them flop.

Reactions: 1vol8
As I've mentioned before, I don't think it was a coaching fail. They looked at what they had and made what I consider a pretty reasonable assessment. They thought pouring that time and effort into JG offered the best chance of success.

I've made hundreds of "reasonable" risk assessments like that... that failed. The coaches seemed to feel they'd made a good call... until the lights came on and a player they didn't recognize took the field against GSU and BYU. I sympathize in part because I can relate to putting trust in someone I chose for a job only to have them flop.
I get that side of the argument and agree they should’ve been ABLE to trust JG. However the reason I call it a fail is simply because it resulted in being unprepared as a team if JG went down or otherwise. Maurer being as naturally gifted as he is was the only reason for any kind of success.
I know hundreds of coaches ranging from all age groups and not one has ever CHOSEN to be unprepared beyond qb 1. In fact on every team I ever coached myself, qb1 would run every pass play in the playbook of 135 every day. Qb 2 would then run every play with the first team offense 3 times per game plan of that week. If qb1 ever went down, qb2 was ready and able.

Not sure why you’re bringing that up with me. I’ve never even hinted that it was Maurer’s fault for being inexperienced. I dont know that it’s really a coaching fail either though. New OC coming in. Snaps are limited. Stuff just happens.

Last edited:
Not sure why you’re bringing that up with me. I’ve never even hinted that it was Maurer’s fault for being inexperienced. I dont know that it’s really a coaching fail either though. Snaps are limited and stuff just happens.
I don’t mean anything by that by saying that to you in particular. I guess I’m just explaining my stance on the subject overall and why I challenge those who don’t take that into consideration.

I didn't want him to ever see the field again, after bama, but I'm not on the coaching staff. If they decide he should start, I'm good with it, but I really hope they're prepared for a disaster and have a solid plan b this year. I'd rather see Mauer, Shrout, or Bailey start game 1, and have JG coming off the bench. It wouldn't be a controversy. Everyone knows JG plays well off the bench. To me, it's a no brainier.

I didn't want him to ever see the field again, after bama, but I'm not on the coaching staff. If they decide he should start, I'm good with it, but I really hope they're prepared for a disaster and have a solid plan b this year. I'd rather see Mauer, Shrout, or Bailey start game 1, and have JG coming off the bench. It wouldn't be a controversy. Everyone knows JG plays well off the bench. To me, it's a no brainier.
It’s the QB position. It’s a controversy no matter who starts.

If I wanted to stir up the thread, I’d mention that he was already the 4th rated passer in the SEC last year. But I won’t do that.
Although the JG Fan Club disagrees, stats are not always indicative of how good or bad a player really is.

Dink and dunk passes for low yardage may help the completion percentage, but doesn't always win ballgames. And certain skills (or lack thereof) do not show in a stat sheet.

And I'd be willing to be my house that if the SEC coaches held a QB draft , JG would not be the number 4 QB taken.

Although the JG Fan Club disagrees, stats are not always indicative of how good or bad a player really is.

Dink and dunk passes for low yardage may help the completion percentage, but doesn't always win ballgames. And certain skills (or lack thereof) do not show in a stat sheet.

And I'd be willing to be my house that if the SEC coaches held a QB draft , JG would not be the number 4 QB taken.
This has been refuted over and over again. JG has never been a dink and dunk QB. His YPA proves that. Heck, he’d probably be more effective if he’d go through reads and go underneath or check down faster.

As far as where he’d get picked in a QB draft, I’d say he’d be somewhere in a pile of guys taken 5-10.

I know folks like bashing JG on here but if it wasnt for him we wouldnt have won most of those games. With the upcoming season upon us, do y'all see him making a jump his senior season. Im praying he finally puts it all together like Dobbs and Crompton did their senior seasons. Also hearing JG gained 30 pounds this offseason. I just hope JG’s work ethic translates into wins.
Not debating JG, but Dobbs was good his sophomore and junior seasons. He was great his senior season.

This has been refuted over and over again. JG has never been a dink and dunk QB. His YPA proves that. Heck, he’d probably be more effective if he’d go through reads and go underneath or check down faster.

As far as where he’d get picked in a QB draft, I’d say he’d be somewhere in a pile of guys taken 5-10.
Not necessarily stating that JG was a dink and dunker. Was merely pointing out that stats don't indicate greatness, or vice versa, like a dink and dunk passer.

He is actually terrible at those since he has very little touch to his passes. I've never seen someone throw a 5 yard swing harder than he does.

I stand by my opinion, stats may say one thing, eyes tell another.

The problem with your eyes is that they only see the bad that JG does. The thing with stats is that they reflect both the good and bad of JG.

Reactions: lexkyvol
The problem with your eyes is that they only see the bad that JG does. The thing with stats is that they reflect both the good and bad of JG.
Not at all. I see what few good throws he makes. KY game he was spot on. And that one throw to Jennings that he threw to the back of the endzone while he was getting blasted was a thing of beauty.

Problem with stats is that it will show he threw a 30-40 yard completion. Stats won't show that the receiver had to stop and fight for a contested catch instead of being hit with the ball in stride.

Difference in you and I is that I can be objective.

I've said repeatedly that I hope he comes out and lights it up. Just evidence seems to point to that not happening

Stats reflect the qb you are over the course of a CAREER. Not a game, not a year. Year 1-2 are developmental and years 3-4 are usually just who you are which creates your legacy. You can look at a qbs career stats and just about tell how he played without ever laying eyes on a single game. But you can not put too much stock into the stats of a player within those first two years. JGs career stats are modest. His Hs stats were modest. Hopefully he’ll make it to the next level but his stats from both Hs and college tell you he’ll never be a gunslinger. He’s the kind you want (NFL)if your qb1 goes down and you have a very good defense (kind of Trent Dilfer with Baltimore) type of qb. Stats alone will tell you that at this point of his career. Then there’s always the possibility that he has a Joe Burrow type of awakening in his final year but seeing that kind of turn around in a single player was extremely rare even in Burrows case. Seeing it 2 years in a row would be would be like hitting the lottery twice

I get that side of the argument and agree they should’ve been ABLE to trust JG. However the reason I call it a fail is simply because it resulted in being unprepared as a team if JG went down or otherwise. Maurer being as naturally gifted as he is was the only reason for any kind of success.
I know hundreds of coaches ranging from all age groups and not one has ever CHOSEN to be unprepared beyond qb 1. In fact on every team I ever coached myself, qb1 would run every pass play in the playbook of 135 every day. Qb 2 would then run every play with the first team offense 3 times per game plan of that week. If qb1 ever went down, qb2 was ready and able.
I can't answer some of those points because I just don't know how much time BM or Shrout did not get because of the focus on JG. I doubt there was a complete lack of preparation but suspect there time was skewed toward JG.

I think Shrout to this point is about as big of a disappointment as JG. I like him. But while you could see BM hindered by his lack of system knowledge... Shrout was worse and had an extra year in the program.

I can't answer some of those points because I just don't know how much time BM or Shrout did not get because of the focus on JG. I doubt there was a complete lack of preparation but suspect there time was skewed toward JG.

I think Shrout to this point is about as big of a disappointment as JG. I like him. But while you could see BM hindered by his lack of system knowledge... Shrout was worse and had an extra year in the program.
I think Shrout is ok with being a backup tbh. That’s one reason I think he goes about his business so quietly. I like that about him but at the same time it could speak to his competitive nature as well. Maybe he doesn’t trust himself? Idk. But I’m with ya....I like the kid.

I think Shrout is ok with being a backup tbh. That’s one reason I think he goes about his business so quietly. I like that about him but at the same time it could speak to his competitive nature as well. Maybe he doesn’t trust himself? Idk. But I’m with ya....I like the kid.
It’s funny watching pregame warmups with an opposing fan or somebody who doesn’t know jersey numbers. JG and Maurer have plenty of arm strength, but eventually somebody is going to see that cannon that Shrout has and ask “Who is THAT?”

It’s funny watching pregame warmups with an opposing fan or somebody who doesn’t know jersey numbers. JG and Maurer have plenty of arm strength, but eventually somebody is going to see that cannon that Shrout has and ask “Who is THAT?”
There’s no doubt that kid has an incredible arm. Consistent control seems to be his issue from what I’ve seen and when he misses he tends to miss high. Idk how much if any that has to do with his not moving up the depth chart but I’m sure it plays a part. Definitely the one you want in if you’re 70 yards from a game winning score down by 4 with 4 seconds left. What a great kid though.

Shrout had the prettiest pass last year when dropped it perfectly to Callaway for the long TD. SC game I think. Or I could be wrong

VN Store

Back