JG’s Growth at QB

If your opinion is that the Georgia State and BYU losses are squarely on JG, it is my opinion that you are blinded by your hatred for him. The offense scored enough points to easily win those games IMO.
Average qb play wins both those games. By the end of the BYU game we had converted to a run only offense because the qb play was that bad. His critical turnover that led to a score was the single most instrumental play in turning that game from a Win into a Loss.

He was outplayed by the opponents quarterback in both of the first two games - he played very poorly both of those games - to say otherwise is to live in a world of unicorns and sugarplum fairies. He is not an average SEC quarterback.

The qb sneak against Alabama is indicative of his though processes behind center.
He doesn’t get it - he is not going to wake up one morning and be Josh Dobbs.
Good guy - below average SEC qb.

I have read interviews with him and he acknowledges what his issues are and is supposedly working on them but he still makes the same mistakes in games. holding ball too long=sacks, throwing late, throw into double coverage, etc. I'm thinking as FF said he just doesn't seem to connect all the dots in game situations. Will be highly surprised if he has corrected all issues this season.

Reactions: cgrish
One qb did that this year. He threw 48 tds!!!

They were
6-7

Like I said if you throw 15 ints you aren't competing for anything.
Check ALL the qbs with 35+ tds and see what their record is on teams with good defenses. Until then you’re losing

One qb did that this year. He threw 48 tds!!!

They were
6-7

Like I said if you throw 15 ints you aren't competing for anything.

And? They didn't have a losing season because they didn't score enough points or because of Gordon's 16 INTs; hell he threw 3 interceptions against Oregon and they still won the game because he threw 6 touchdowns in that game as well. Washington State had a losing season because their defense averaged giving up 450+ YPG and 34 PPG.

Check ALL the qbs with 35+ tds and see what their record is on teams with good defenses. Until then you’re losing
Stop you didn't say just 35 tds.

You said 35 tds with up to 15 ints would be good.

Show me one qb in the last three years that competed for even a conference title that threw 15 ints.

if you throw a ton of ints your team doesn't win. I have posted the real life actual data.

The only guys even with 30 plus tds and 15 ints in the last three years went 6-7, 4-8, 8-5.
They had 48 tds with 6 wins, 31 tds with wins, and 37 with 8 wins or the same as we were last year.

So if you throw 15 ints your best case scenario is 8 wins. Its a statistical fact.

And? They didn't have a losing season because they didn't score enough points or because of Gordon's 16 INTs; hell he threw 3 interceptions against Oregon and they still won the game because he threw 6 touchdowns in that game as well. Washington State had a losing season because their defense averaged giving up 450+ YPG and 34 PPG.
You expose your lack of football knowledge so much.

A huge part of the reason the defense gave up so many points was short field due to turnovers and extra possessions for the opposing o due to turnovers. Not to mention lack of rest when they are running right back out after an int.

Come on now

Stop you didn't say just 35 tds.

You said 35 tds with up to 15 ints would be good.

Show me one qb in the last three years that competed for even a conference title that threw 15 ints.

if you throw a ton of ints your team doesn't win. I have posted the real life actual data.

The only guys even with 30 plus tds and 15 ints in the last three years went 6-7, 4-8, 8-5.
They had 48 tds with 6 wins, 31 tds with wins, and 37 with 8 wins or the same as we were last year.

So if you throw 15 ints your best case scenario is 8 wins. Its a statistical fact.
You posted a bunch of teams with weak defenses. If you’re in the same realm of thinking as lexkyvol then defense doesn’t have anything to do with it and you’d be right. However those who know how this game works know that one side compliments the other. Without BOTH you don’t win. Simple as that.

You expose your lack of football knowledge so much.

A huge part of the reason the defense gave up so many points was short field due to turnovers and extra possessions for the opposing o due to turnovers. Not to mention lack of rest when they are running right back out after an int.

Come on now

Lol...you have no clue what you are talking about. I actually watched most of Washington State's televised games in 2019.

Gordon threw 9 TDs against UCLA, and UCLA scored 7 off of an interception. That loss was 100% on the defense. It was 49-17 (that is with 7 points on Gordon's 1st quarter int) halfway through the 3rd quarter when Washington State's defense went into meltdown.

In the loss to Utah, Utah manhandled them from the get go, and minus a brief moment when they were tied 7-7, never relinquished the lead, Utah's defense dominated the offense that game.

Gordon threw 0 interceptions in the loss to Arizona State, and put up 3 TDs himself, but the Cougar defense gave up 38 points and 532 yards of offense.
Loss to Oregon, Gordon threw one int that was returned for a TD, the Cougar Defense gave up 528 yards of offense.

Loss to Cal, Gordon threw 0 interceptions, Cougar defense gave up 426 yards of offense and 33 points.

Loss to Washtington, Gordon threw 2 interceptions, and the Huskies scored only scored 3 points on the turn over.

So, no, it wasn't "short-field advantage" from Gordon's interceptions that caused the defense to suck. They just flat out sucked.

You posted a bunch of teams with weak defenses. If you’re in the same realm of thinking as lexkyvol then defense doesn’t have anything to do with it and you’d be right. However those who know how this game works know that one side compliments the other. Without BOTH you don’t win. Simple as that.
Lol, you just got blistered with the 15 ints you claim are ok for a QB to throw if he has 35 tds. Back it up big football know it all, tell us the successful college football team's in the past that have had success going this route, he gave 3 examples the last 3 years, I'm sure that you can do the same for your argument.

Reactions: HalfullVol
Lol...you have no clue what you are talking about. I actually watched most of Washington State's televised games in 2019.

Gordon threw 9 TDs against UCLA, and UCLA scored 7 off of an interception. That loss was 100% on the defense. It was 49-17 (that is with 7 points on Gordon's 1st quarter int) halfway through the 3rd quarter when Washington State's defense went into meltdown.

In the loss to Utah, Utah manhandled them from the get go, and minus a brief moment when they were tied 7-7, never relinquished the lead, Utah's defense dominated the offense that game.

Gordon threw 0 interceptions in the loss to Arizona State, and put up 3 TDs himself, but the Cougar defense gave up 38 points and 532 yards of offense.
Loss to Oregon, Gordon threw one int that was returned for a TD, the Cougar Defense gave up 528 yards of offense.

Loss to Cal, Gordon threw 0 interceptions, Cougar defense gave up 426 yards of offense and 33 points.

Loss to Washtington, Gordon threw 2 interceptions, and the Huskies scored only scored 3 points on the turn over.

So, no, it wasn't "short-field advantage" from Gordon's interceptions that caused the defense to suck. They just flat out sucked.
Kinda like our teams in '17 and '18, overall the teams just sucked, no matter who played QB those seasons. We were better in '19, except for the games we turned the ball over. Our QBs protected the football the last 6 games of the year. 15+ ints a year in college football will never equate to a successful season, maybe it has happened before but I doubt very often, less than 5% I would guess.

Reactions: HalfullVol
Change your statements much, lol. The whole debate was you stating that you'd take 35/15 over 20/5 any day. Please show us where 35/15 has worked in the college game, those numbers don't even win in the Ocala HS district.

Reactions: k-town_king
Kinda like our teams in '17 and '18, overall the teams just sucked, no matter who played QB those seasons. We were better in '19, except for the games we turned the ball over. Our QBs protected the football the last 6 games of the year. 15+ ints a year in college football will never equate to a successful season, maybe it has happened before but I doubt very often, less than 5% I would guess.

Except the fact that Gordon's interceptions had near zero impact on them losing any game except possibly against Utah.

Watched some UT 2020 games on YouTube the last couple of weeks. My opinion of JG’s performance has changed some.

From “stinking it up” to merely mediocre.
He did make some improvements. Last year this time I was critical of his line calls and management of the run game. He got much better. He had not previously used the middle of the field well. He did a lot better but only on long developing plays. He still didn't hit the quick passes to soft spots anywhere... including between the hashes.

He is a "mediocre", game manager type of QB at his best. But he isn't consistently his best.

Change your statements much, lol. The whole debate was you stating that you'd take 35/15 over 20/5 any day. Please show us where 35/15 has worked in the college game, those numbers don't even win in the Ocala HS district.
Figures you of all people would take a shot at a kid but good reference all the same. Those numbers were good enough to lead Westport to the highest scoring offense in the state. Yes he threw 12 ints but he scored an average of 4 tds a game as well. Which means the opposing offense knew they had to score in the 30s to beat them. Wasn’t hard with that particular team because the DEFENSE gave up an average of 45. HS, college or pro, it makes no difference. Without a solid DEFENSE, you don’t win. No matter how much you score.

So no..... I don’t change my statements at all. I’m very careful and know what I’m saying when saying it. You want to defend him? How about both of you look for qbs with 35+ tds and 15 or less ints on teams WITH A DEFENSE.

Except the fact that Gordon's interceptions had near zero impact on them losing any game except possibly against Utah.
You can probably show us another team then that has won throwing 35/15? Probably dozens of them out there the way you make it sound.

Watched some UT 2020 games on YouTube the last couple of weeks. My opinion of JG’s performance has changed some.

From “stinking it up” to merely mediocre.
I don't think you'll get any argument here, his play was mediocre last season. Some think he's capable of playing better and some think he's already played his best ball and is not capable of improving. I think he'll show improvement simply because I think he's getting quality coaching and I think the overall talent around him both offensively and defensively plus STs is vastly improved. We are a much bigger, faster and stronger team than 2 seasons ago. Veteran teams led by veteran QBs tend to be good football teams, something I believe we'll be this year with JG.

You can probably show us another team then that has won throwing 35/15? Probably dozens of them out there the way you make it sound.

I'll do you one better, in 2017 Wisconsin went 13-1 with Alex Hornibrook throwing 15 interceptions while only throwing 25 TDs.

The impact that interceptions have is utterly situational, if the other team doesn't capitalize and score on the interception, it's impact is literally zero. There is no direct correlation on 15+ interceptions = losing season.

I'll do you one better, in 2017 Wisconsin went 13-1 with Alex Hornibrook throwing 15 interceptions while only throwing 25 TDs.

The impact that interceptions have is utterly situational, if the other team doesn't capitalize and score on the interception, it's impact is literally zero. There is no direct correlation on 15+ interceptions = losing season.
So to have a decent record throwing that many ints you need a Heisman candidate at running back that has over 2000 yards from scrimmage. Every single team that didn't was around .500.

So yes if you have the only player ever to have 6000 yards in a three year span at rb you could be good throwing that many ints.

So to have a decent record throwing that many ints you need a Heisman candidate at running back that has over 2000 yards from scrimmage. Every single team that didn't was around .500.

So yes if you have the only player ever to have 6000 yards in a three year span at rb you could be good throwing that many ints.

So you want to back off of your statement that 15 interceptions is an automatic losing season, or do you want to continue moving the goal posts?

Reactions: Rickyvol77

VN Store

Back