JG’s Growth at QB

Did you not watch the game? Do you not understand Coach Pruitt's style of play? JG was 7 of 8 with a QB rating of 290 in the 2nd half, really just the 3rd quarter of that game, I think he executed Coach Pruitt and Chaney's game plan to a T and it's just plain dumb to think they would not let JG throw more with those numbers. Had we needed to throw more in the 2nd half we would have and based on JG numbers that day we would have likely been successful.
So it is dumb to think that JG didn't play most of the game and was forced to hand off and not even throw double digit passes because it was part of the coaches "plan"? JG threw one more pass than the Kentucky WR moonlighting as a QB...and Tennessee BARELY won.

Yeah. I'm sure that was "their plan". CJP is just lucky he had WR's who could jump 15 ft in the air to snag JG's horribly overthrown balls.

So it is dumb to think that JG didn't play most of the game and was forced to hand off and not even throw double digit passes because it was part of the coaches "plan"? JG threw one more pass than the Kentucky WR moonlighting as a QB...and Tennessee BARELY won.

Yeah. I'm sure that was "their plan". CJP is just lucky he had WR's who could jump 15 ft in the air to snag JG's horribly overthrown balls.
I guess you watched the game, it's clear that you didn't understand how it played out though.

I guess you watched the game, it's clear that you didn't understand how it played out though.
That game was WAY to close for you to use that argument that it was “all we needed”. We were literally 1 yard away from losing it and you claim that’s all we needed was JG to throw it 8 times? If they hadn’t made accurate defensive adjustments we lose by at least 3 scores because we WOULDNT HAVE HAD THE BALL! Go figure huh?

To me it was obvious how Chaney felt about each of the qbs based on play calling alone. We had the ball a grand total of 8 min and 34 seconds in the first half vs UK. The ball went in the air nearly 20 times. But KTown, Pulaski and lexkyvol will try and convince people that the coach”s” (plural) didn’t believe in Maurer. 🤔 makes you wonder why Chaney must be trying to get fired then huh?
Why do you continue to draw me into your pure up the butt of BM views. I've never once said the coaches didn't have faith in BM, I never had faith we'd have much success playing him last year. There is no way for you or me to know what each coach thinks of each kid unless you've heard it straight from either of them which I doubt you have. As for the Ky game it was crystal clear who the better option was at QB for the Vols after that game. You post this garbage about BM throwing 16 times compared to JGs 8 that game being evidence that the coaches trust throwing BM more, then you blame the defense for BM not having time to play yet I dont see you mentioning the fact that JG did all of his damage on the 1st couple of drives with 6 throws that lasted a total of about 5 minutes, so it basically took JG 25% of the amount of time and throws BM had for us to beat Ky. In games where we have had 2nd half leads and our Defense was playing well Pruitt and Chaney have played field position and been conservative, it's not that hard to see. MSU, KY, Vandy, UAB, Charlotte, USCjrs are all games where you can see when the switch was turned off. BM wasn't ready to perform at a high level last season and it showed more times than not. It appears to me with the return of JG this season and the acclaim of HB that BM is going to be the QB either looking up the depth chart or transferring out (I'm hoping that you go with him, for all I know you may be him the way you act). The only hope he has is for JG to get injured early or play terrible on the road at Oklahoma I think.

Reactions: lexkyvol
That game was WAY to close for you to use that argument that it was “all we needed”. We were literally 1 yard away from losing it and you claim that’s all we needed was JG to throw it 8 times? If they hadn’t made accurate defensive adjustments we lose by at least 3 scores because we WOULDNT HAVE HAD THE BALL! Go figure huh?
All you have are "ifs, woulda, shoulda, coulda" to argue with, which just so happens to be one of the weakest and most pathetically ignorant ways to argue or debate one's opinion I feel.

Reactions: lexkyvol
Why do you continue to draw me into your pure up the butt of BM views. I've never once said the coaches didn't have faith in BM, I never had faith we'd have much success playing him last year. There is no way for you or me to know what each coach thinks of each kid unless you've heard it straight from either of them which I doubt you have. As for the Ky game it was crystal clear who the better option was at QB for the Vols after that game. You post this garbage about BM throwing 16 times compared to JGs 8 that game being evidence that the coaches trust throwing BM more, then you blame the defense for BM not having time to play yet I dont see you mentioning the fact that JG did all of his damage on the 1st couple of drives with 6 throws that lasted a total of about 5 minutes, so it basically took JG 25% of the amount of time and throws BM had for us to beat Ky. In games where we have had 2nd half leads and our Defense was playing well Pruitt and Chaney have played field position and been conservative, it's not that hard to see. MSU, KY, Vandy, UAB, Charlotte, USCjrs are all games where you can see when the switch was turned off. BM wasn't ready to perform at a high level last season and it showed more times than not. It appears to me with the return of JG this season and the acclaim of HB that BM is going to be the QB either looking up the depth chart or transferring out (I'm hoping that you go with him, for all I know you may be him the way you act). The only hope he has is for JG to get injured early or play terrible on the road at Oklahoma I think.
I draw you in for the reasons you bring on yourself. There are 3 types of people that I have a very short fuse with. A liar, a thief and a hypocrite. Now let’s talk about the three of you. I know you’re different people although not all are convinced. But here’s how I know you all are different.

- KTowns posting style consists of lies. Funny he’s been called “fundamentally dishonest” a thousand times. Have you heard his latest? Despite video evidence he swears that MC had to slow down vs UGA JUST TO spite Maurer. Is it true? Not even close and yet he sticks to his guns. So his posting style is “speak it into existence”. His narrative is to criticize Maurer in any way he can DREAM up. He’s the liar in this group.

-Lexkyvol is different. Although he pushes the same narrative as KTown he believes that experience for a qb is of no significance. Nor does he believe that offense and defense compliment each other. That tells me he’s either a kid or a couch coach that doesn’t understand much more about this game deeper than the rules of the game itself. He’s the one that I just recently learned this about and as a result his opinion is in question going forward.

- Your posting style has always been hypocritical. You’ll argue actual facts as if they hold no weight until they benefit your cause or someone you “like”. Then you’ll use the EXACT SAME ARGUMENT I’ve used against you in defense of Maurer. I’ve watched you do it several times. Simply put...... what’s a legitimate argument for one qb is legitimate for ALL qbs if circumstances are the same.

Long story short you guys get under my skin because the one thing you ALL share is the FACT that you guys bring up Maurer by name much more than I do by criticizing his every mistake as a direct reflection of his skill, make crap up and disregard facts that directly contributed to areas he fell short such as coaching. Stop criticizing him as if he had every opportunity and be fair in your criticism and you’ll see me stop attacking your posts with facts that the three of you have so conveniently forgotten.

Reactions: WeeohdeeWood
All you have are "ifs, woulda, shoulda, coulda" to argue with, which just so happens to be one of the weakest and most pathetically ignorant ways to argue or debate one's opinion I feel.
I argue opinions with facts. Don’t like it? Leave your bias out of your posts.

They threw it 40 times the very next week against Missouri. That’s a pretty good indication that it wasn’t a lack of confidence but just a different game plan.

You failed to mention that the Fr couldn't physically make it past halftime and the one time he could have he stunk up the place. You also failed to mention the 3 or 4 2nd half come from behind victories the RS JR led us to, 1 on the road vs a good SEC football team and the bowl game win in which all other QBs in college football were like 0-274 in the same situation last year. You also failed to mention the shredding of a good SEC pass defense, another SEC ROAD victory, all QB qualities that you evidently don't value at all.
Can you all stop with the JG led us to a comeback win vs Indiana.
1. TN was behind primarily due to JG. His red zone ability sucked.
2. JG threw more TDs to Indiana than he did to TN.
3. If anyone can be said to have "led" TN to victory, it'd be Eric Gray.
4. It's Indiana.
5. See #1. And then #2

JMO,I still think they're going to have to play some of these other quarterbacks to give them experience for next year. Regardless of
what JG does. His best is questionable.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
They threw it 40 times the very next week against Missouri. That’s a pretty good indication that it wasn’t a lack of confidence but just a different game plan.
JG didn't even start the Kentucky game. That says all you really need to know when it comes to coach confidence in JG.

JG didn't even start the Kentucky game. That says all you really need to know when it comes to coach confidence in JG.
Can’t deny that at all. Just saying that when you throw it 8 times in the 2nd half one week and then 40 times the next week with the same guy, it’s obviously a totally different philosophy as far as what you are trying to do. After watching Kentucky play keep away in the 1st half, it was clear that we had to posses the football in the 2nd half one way or the other.

If JG truly did not benefit from the coaching, practice experience, and game experience he got in the previous 3 years... then they should have taken his scholarship away.

Pure BS. You are parroting k-town... or else ARE k-town. I know it would help you "win" if I bought your straw man. I don't. Maurer had no business playing early. If he had been the only option from the start and they had poured the time into him they did JG... then maybe you play and protect him. He ONLY played because JG even after they made him the starter and did everything they could to build him up... stank.

Maurer was about what you would expect per his experience and development. JG wasn't... and he wasn't close for much of the year... especially the first 3 games and the last two. He played like a back up and oddly... played his best as a back up.

Do you give a true Fr a lot of complex looks and reads? No. Do you try to make a lot of things simple for them? Yes. Are you surprised when they make mistakes? No. Maurer handled about what you expect a true Fr to handle. JG... did not perform even close to the level you expect a 4th year guy with 3 years starting experience to play.

This isn't an argument about Maurer being "great" and JG being awful... it is about Maurer being a mistake prone Fr and JG being average at his best moments and really bad at his worst.
parrot nobody son! been saying it since i saw him play and i called it. go check! simple read.....and once teams took it away, trash. yall got one BILLION excuses.

same OC, same amount of time. this is how some kids come in and start right away and others dont. maurer is NOT on that level and once he got on the field......after practicing vs bowl worthy defense since the spring in the same system and stunk. yeah, like every qb that played he had his one throw vs uga you and mancrush 1vol8 spent 2 pages ranting about like it changed our season or something, but now im parroting when i say under 50% passing CLEARLY shows he's not that good. hell, i dont really even have to bring up the ints.

i'd move him to wr before jimmy holiday....lol

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
MAN! EXACTLY!

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I draw you in for the reasons you bring on yourself. There are 3 types of people that I have a very short fuse with. A liar, a thief and a hypocrite. Now let’s talk about the three of you. I know you’re different people although not all are convinced. But here’s how I know you all are different.

- KTowns posting style consists of lies. Funny he’s been called “fundamentally dishonest” a thousand times. Have you heard his latest? Despite video evidence he swears that MC had to slow down vs UGA JUST TO spite Maurer. Is it true? Not even close and yet he sticks to his guns. So his posting style is “speak it into existence”. His narrative is to criticize Maurer in any way he can DREAM up. He’s the liar in this group.

-Lexkyvol is different. Although he pushes the same narrative as KTown he believes that experience for a qb is of no significance. Nor does he believe that offense and defense compliment each other. That tells me he’s either a kid or a couch coach that doesn’t understand much more about this game deeper than the rules of the game itself. He’s the one that I just recently learned this about and as a result his opinion is in question going forward.

- Your posting style has always been hypocritical. You’ll argue actual facts as if they hold no weight until they benefit your cause or someone you “like”. Then you’ll use the EXACT SAME ARGUMENT I’ve used against you in defense of Maurer. I’ve watched you do it several times. Simply put...... what’s a legitimate argument for one qb is legitimate for ALL qbs if circumstances are the same.

Long story short you guys get under my skin because the one thing you ALL share is the FACT that you guys bring up Maurer by name much more than I do by criticizing his every mistake as a direct reflection of his skill, make crap up and disregard facts that directly contributed to areas he fell short such as coaching. Stop criticizing him as if he had every opportunity and be fair in your criticism and you’ll see me stop attacking your posts with facts that the three of you have so conveniently forgotten.
yall post the TRUTH about BM and his abilities and choose not go along with my thoughts, hopes, and wishes. I love how he holds and throws his balls......lol. BM is better than Tom Brady. Why can't you guys see it? All they have to do is give him chance....after chance......after chance.

"but what about those ints and throws into double coverage"

Coach called a terrible play, if he would've called the "annexation of puerto rico play" it would've happen. if ky would've scored......! if JJ didnt catch those passes over those dbs, JG........!

SMMFH......like pulaskivol said....u must be BM himself and reading volnation was part of that meltdown. ive seen folk against qbs.....folk for worley and dormady and such. but ive never seen you and ur burner account stj18 and this type of mancrush. this is new to volnation!

Reactions: k-town_king
SMMFH......like pulaskivol said....u must be BM himself and reading volnation was part of that meltdown. ive seen folk against qbs.....folk for worley and dormady and such. but ive never seen you and ur burner account stj18 and this type of mancrush. this is new to volnation!
This isn't new.

See K-town, Pulaski and swamp and it appears even yourself and your insane bias over JG. It defines man crush, albeit a weirdly obsessive one.

Most posters aren't saying they hate JG. They merely are pointing out his flaws. They also point out Maurer's. But any hint of criticism about JG....yall's fan club comes roaring to defend regardless of how biased and un-objective your own JG argument is.

Your JG clan lost any form of credibility when your fan club president K-town refused to admit his error saying Callaway had to slow down even after video proof. You could have gained some cred by calling him out.

The irony is also quite comical that he even tried to downplay Maurer's throw by saying Callaway had to slow down (which was wrong), when one of JGs flaws is under throws thus forcing the receivers to slow down or stop to fight for the ball.

Reactions: OL SMOKEY and 1vol8
This isn't new.

See K-town, Pulaski and swamp and it appears even yourself and your insane bias over JG. It defines man crush, albeit a weirdly obsessive one.

Most posters aren't saying they hate JG. They merely are pointing out his flaws. They also point out Maurer's. But any hint of criticism about JG....yall's fan club comes roaring to defend regardless of how biased and un-objective your own JG argument is.

Your JG clan lost any form of credibility when your fan club president K-town refused to admit his error saying Callaway had to slow down even after video proof.

The irony is also quite comical that he even tried to downplay Maurer's throw by saying Callaway had to slow down (which was wrong), when one of JGs flaws is under throws this forcing the receivers to slow down or stop to fight for the ball
INcorrect. JG does have flaws, but he's also our best option until someone in the QB room proves otherwise. Do you agree with that?

oh, and i played wr. Calloway did slow down just a tad bit, but we call that adjusting in the wr world. the ball was a very well thrown ball. i have not said otherwise so dont group me with anybody. i was just as pissed when JG screwed up the goal line play at Bama as anyone else. feel free to check!

parrot nobody son! been saying it since i saw him play and i called it. go check! simple read.....and once teams took it away, trash. yall got one BILLION excuses.
Indeed.... :D:D:D

same OC, same amount of time. this is how some kids come in and start right away and others dont.
One. You still ignore the experience advantage... and that's just dumb on your part. Two. How many times do I and others have to say that Maurer was not ready to play? He didn't play because he was ready... he played because a RS Jr that the staff had poured their efforts to build confidence and develop physically since Pruitt stepped on campus played terribly.

maurer is NOT on that level and once he got on the field......after practicing vs bowl worthy defense since the spring in the same system and stunk.
That's stupid... your reasoning gets progressively worse every time you post. He didn't "stink" in the sense you seem to be suggesting. He had some really good moments and some really bad ones. That leaves a coach with the opportunity to work on the bad plays while hoping the good plays can make a guy a really good QB. JG is average... at his peaks. Again, that deep throw to MC vs USCe is the perfect illustration. An above average QB hits that for a TD in their sleep. JG threw late and short and turned it into a contested catch.

yeah, like every qb that played he had his one throw vs uga you and mancrush 1vol8 spent 2 pages ranting about like it changed our season or something, but now im parroting when i say under 50% passing CLEARLY shows he's not that good. hell, i dont really even have to bring up the ints.

i'd move him to wr before jimmy holiday....lol
That's because you're ignorant or in denial.

I'm not saying he will ever start for UT. I am saying he had some flashes of EXACTLY what UT has been missing for the last 3 years... and yeah that perfectly thrown pass to MC qualifies and especially when you watch him instinctively step up into the pocket away from pressure to give himself space to deliver. Play like his two INT's vs MSU... can't be tolerated. If he can't fix that then he can't start.

Maurer did NOT do a good job consistently reading D's. He struggled getting past his 1st or 2nd read. Typical Fr whether you're talking Suggs or Manning. But again... I don't even think @1vol8 says Maurer was ready to play as a Fr. He should have been a back up in 4 games then taken his RS. He was forced to play because of Shrout and JG.

It is remarkable that you as a JG apologist are writing off a Fr for not being great at reading D's. JG wasn't good at it as a RS Jr. He routinely missed open receivers because he was too slow going through his progressions or didn't read secondary movement/alignment well. How do you rationalize that kind of inconsistency?

Reactions: 1vol8
Like I said JG has shown that he has indeed performed well enough in certain situations that has helped the Vols win football games. Those qualities I listed obviously don't mean anything to you.
And you are full of straw men and false dichotomies. He was an "average" QB and performed "well enough" in some situations. That is NOT what you need a RS Jr with 3 years starting experience to be.
You're a fraud if you don't believe that a QB playing well in the 4th quarter leading to come from behind wins on the road isn't a great asset for a QB.
No. You're a fraud if you try to play up that angle when the opponents were weak and the QB's play was a primary factor in why a come back was needed. The IU game in particular should not have required a come back. UT should have been up by two or 3 TD's by the half. JG's poor play was a big reason they weren't.

JG was 13-15 for 220 yards with 3 TDs and 0 ints in wins vs Ky/MSU. Tell me again about how he can't process fast enough?
So anomalies are to be used to make generalizations... but general performance is not?

The playcalling when he came in vs MSU was very, very, very conservative. The only long play he had was the catch and run that didn't require a read or a difficult throw. He played well vs UK. But again... a high spot here and there from a 3 year starter isn't good enough.

Keep trolling ol JG though, it's definitely entertaining, just wish all you neverJG guys would come up with some new exciting material rather than the same old nonsense you continue to spew.
When you actually deal with it rather than handwaving it... then maybe we can move on. But... you won't based on past behavior. You try to create these false arguments like "neverJG"... when people objectively look at his performance. I'd would LOVE to see him become a consistent, above average QB. He has not... and based on what we've seen the past 3 years he appears to have some innate deficiencies that continue to prevent him from doing so.

The lie embedded in this quote from you is that we do not recognize anything he does well. We do. You also imply that it is some kind of personal hatred. It isn't. But you have to create these straw men... to maintain your excuses and denial of what JG is and is not.

yall post the TRUTH about BM and his abilities and choose not go along with my thoughts, hopes, and wishes. I love how he holds and throws his balls......lol. BM is better than Tom Brady. Why can't you guys see it? All they have to do is give him chance....after chance......after chance.

"but what about those ints and throws into double coverage"

Coach called a terrible play, if he would've called the "annexation of puerto rico play" it would've happen. if ky would've scored......! if JJ didnt catch those passes over those dbs, JG........!

Look back at my posting history and you’ll find nothing but facts as arguments. Not opinions unless talking about personal preferences. If you want to dispute that then let’s visit my defenses of Maurer. I’m actually honest so I’ll tell you the truth. In the past I’ve argued:

- The qb competition was closer than advertised (witnessed with my own eyes) and the media was following a narrative. (Last spring) Fact or opinion?
- I was critical of Pruitt for choosing JG as Chaney’s starting qb for him and not holding an ACTUAL qb competition with no qb coaching background and Chaney being one of the best and most respected in college football. Fact or opinion?
- I’ve been critical of the FACT that none of the other QBs had any time invested in them prior to the toughest stretch of our season last year and possibly the toughest 3 game stretch in the country. Maurer had a mere 2 weeks to prepare for #3 UGA, MSU and #1 Alabama AS A FRESHMAN. Fact or opinion?
- I’ve argued that stats don’t always tell the story. One of JGs worst games last year he threw for over 300 yards for only the third time in his career (GAST) and was incredibly bad with accuracy and decisions. Fact or opinion?

Nearly every argument I’ve had in the past year has been tied to one or more of the facts above. Those facts are what I’ve used to combat opinions such as yours and the other two “amigos”. So the point overall is you three just don’t face the truth. You form opinions that sometimes seem pulled out of “left field” and those opinions take aim at an individual that was not given a fair opportunity to succeed. Hence why I’ve told you to start responding to the board in Japanese if you feel so confident that a freshman qb without coaching should be capable of playing like a seasoned vet.

Indeed.... :D:D:D

One. You still ignore the experience advantage... and that's just dumb on your part. Two. How many times do I and others have to say that Maurer was not ready to play? He didn't play because he was ready... he played because a RS Jr that the staff had poured their efforts to build confidence and develop physically since Pruitt stepped on campus played terribly.

That's stupid... your reasoning gets progressively worse every time you post. He didn't "stink" in the sense you seem to be suggesting. He had some really good moments and some really bad ones. That leaves a coach with the opportunity to work on the bad plays while hoping the good plays can make a guy a really good QB. JG is average... at his peaks. Again, that deep throw to MC vs USCe is the perfect illustration. An above average QB hits that for a TD in their sleep. JG threw late and short and turned it into a contested catch.

That's because you're ignorant or in denial.

I'm not saying he will ever start for UT. I am saying he had some flashes of EXACTLY what UT has been missing for the last 3 years... and yeah that perfectly thrown pass to MC qualifies and especially when you watch him instinctively step up into the pocket away from pressure to give himself space to deliver. Play like his two INT's vs MSU... can't be tolerated. If he can't fix that then he can't start.

Maurer did NOT do a good job consistently reading D's. He struggled getting past his 1st or 2nd read. Typical Fr whether you're talking Suggs or Manning. But again... I don't even think @1vol8 says Maurer was ready to play as a Fr. He should have been a back up in 4 games then taken his RS. He was forced to play because of Shrout and JG.

It is remarkable that you as a JG apologist are writing off a Fr for not being great at reading D's. JG wasn't good at it as a RS Jr. He routinely missed open receivers because he was too slow going through his progressions or didn't read secondary movement/alignment well. How do you rationalize that kind of inconsistency?
Correct. I’ve never said he was ready. How could he be when nearly all the time available was invested in JG?

Correct. I’ve never said he was ready. How could he be when nearly all the time available was invested in JG?
Under the very best of circumstances... it is difficult for a Fr to play well and avoid mistakes. I'm not sure he could have been "ready" even if all that time had been invested in him. A Fr is still usually limited. It should have been enough to "fix" JG's play... and wasn't.

VN Store

Back