Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marvelous Mrs Maisel...keeps winning emmys but is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Big Bang Theory...just horrible. I'll never understand why anyone thinks it's in the least bit funny. The CBS multi cam laugh track show is the worst kind of show.

All humor is built on context. BBT is a caricaturized version of my world. While I don't spend a huge amount of time watching it, I understand why it was popular.

Marvelous Mrs Maisel...keeps winning emmys but is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Big Bang Theory...just horrible. I'll never understand why anyone thinks it's in the least bit funny. The CBS multi cam laugh track show is the worst kind of show.

Big Bang Theory is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I don't think it's funny, and puts off the vibe that everyone in academia are a-holes with aspergers or something. I don't know how many people have been like, "Working in academia must be like Big Bang Theory!"

Nope, my colleagues are normal, nice, and a lot come from working class backgrounds. That Sheldon dude wouldn't have made it past a skype interview for an academic position, because no one wants to sit in a faculty meeting with an @#$hole.

I could be wrong, but I think Newt works at Oak Ridge Lab? So, his world too.

In my opinion, nerds and geeks are two different catagories (and I’m not using either in the least bit derogatorily). Nerds are smart. They‘re the science bowl, mathlete, crowd. Bill Gates and Steve Jobs.

Geeks are the members of fandoms. They know obscure facts about Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who. They like video games and memorabilia.

So, I would say that working at ORNL might make @bignewt a nerd, but not necessarily a geek.

Last edited:
Big Bang Theory is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I don't think it's funny, and puts off the vibe that everyone in academia are a-holes with aspergers or something. I don't know how many people have been like, "Working in academia must be like Big Bang Theory!"

Nope, my colleagues are normal, nice, and a lot come from working class backgrounds. That Sheldon dude wouldn't have made it past a skype interview for an academic position, because no one wants to sit in a faculty meeting with an @#$hole.

BBT isn't about academia. The university research facility is simply the context. I've worked for technology companies my entire 30+ year career, and I have seen aspects of every one of those characters everywhere I've worked.

Well that was annoying. Was camping on the Sweetens webpage well before 10AM, but missed that the purchase link was way down the page. Sold out in 5 minutes.
That’s unfortunate man, I got lucky and snagged one right as the link went live. Wasn’t cheap but I figured being cancer free was a good reason to indulge.

BBT isn't about academia. The university research facility is simply the context. I've worked for technology companies my entire 30+ year career, and I have seen aspects of every one of those characters everywhere I've worked.

Fair enough, but most folks don't parse that distinction because they don't have your experience.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX

I find the BBT formulaic but funny. Comedic TV shows use caricatures. No one is actually as obnoxious as Sheldon, but there are parts of his personality people can relate to. Lots of people have a favorite spot on the couch and get annoyed when their routine is disrupted. Normal people just don't make others suffer like Sheldon does.

Also an old trope is when you have an extreme character (Leonard as the nerd / super-geek) as the protagonist you set him up with a more extreme character (Sheldon) to help him seem normal. Then you can play both their extremism for laughs but not lose the audience's connection to the protagonist. The Frasier / Niles dynamic was quite similar. Frasier was a pompous jerk, unless you compared him to his brother and then he seemed down to earth. Seinfeld / George was another one as both were self-absorbed but George took it to another level.

To each his own I guess. Comedy is definitely something everyone has different tastes in.

I find the BBT formulaic but funny. Comedic TV shows use caricatures. No one is actually as obnoxious as Sheldon, but there are parts of his personality people can relate to. Lots of people have a favorite spot on the couch and get annoyed when their routine is disrupted. Normal people just don't make others suffer like Sheldon does.

Also an old trope is when you have an extreme character (Leonard as the nerd / super-geek) as the protagonist you set him up with a more extreme character (Sheldon) to help him seem normal. Then you can play both their extremism for laughs but not lose the audience's connection to the protagonist. The Frasier / Niles dynamic was quite similar. Frasier was a pompous jerk, unless you compared him to his brother and then he seemed down to earth. Seinfeld / George was another one as both were self-absorbed but George took it to another level.

To each his own I guess. Comedy is definitely something everyone has different tastes in.

Wait, this is 2020... I'm trying to figure out how I'm supposed to tell you that you're stupid and I'm right.

You're probably right, and maybe I just need to cool it on this one.

Fair enough, but most folks don't parse that distinction because they don't have your experience.

That's kinda funny to me. I guess I see why those outside the target demographic might see it as being about academics, but no one I know sees it that way. It's about really smart people who happen to work at Cal Tech.

And for the record, I've said for years that many highly technical people are sub-clinically autistic. It doesn't rise to the level of a pathology, but it does impact lives in subtle, and sometimes not-so-subtle, ways.

Wait, this is 2020... I'm trying to figure out how I'm supposed to tell you that you're stupid and I'm right.

You're probably right, and maybe I just need to cool it on this one.

It's isn't about right or wrong. Just explaining why it has been as popular is it has. This whole discussion reminds me of the Yogi Berra quote: "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

It's isn't about right or wrong. Just explaining why it has been as popular is it has. This whole discussion reminds me of the Yogi Berra quote: "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

I think this is part where we shake hands.

By the way, I think my doctoral advisor was one of those "sub-clinical autistic" types. Smartest guy I've ever met. Also, one of the kindest people I've met. I'd run through a brick wall for that guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back