Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, what do you do? I may be able to steer you in the right direction.

I have a MS degree in Polymer Chemistry (graduated from UTK in 2017) with a background in the physical properties of polymers. I also have a good amount of experience with scientific instrumentation.

Edit: I also have experience with polyurethane synthesis and biopolymers

Last edited:
While I really liked it, I guess I can also understand why some may not. A lot of loud noises and thunder, but I thought it enhanced the tension.
I wanted to like it and was very hopeful after peer reviews but Sandler’s character was over the top for me. I thought the storyline was solid, however, I couldn’t handle all the yelling and screaming from him.

Forgot to post our Memorial Day burgs.

33:33:33 sirloin:short ribs:brisket
Grilled onions and a ketchup mayo and diced pickle sauce. American cheese. Pop’s and I were feeling froggy and went for the triple decker.

39F17957-4CC3-4EED-A5AD-92C5431EFC0F.jpeg

Messy burgs = the best burgs

Y’all gotta try that meat combo. You’ll never go back!

Since we are talking screen, what is one show you can't grasp why it is/was popular?

Mine is definitely The Goldbergs. Just gave it one last chance the other night and had to google why it was still on. Inexplicably, it has a very positive metacritic audience score. Figured it ran a season or two and went off...nope it's still going 7 seasons later and it's syndicated. I get 80's nostalgia, but I've given it 4 or 5 episodes over the years and have yet to even crack a single laugh. I really like Jeff Garland too, the only redeemable part of it. Just my .02
The wife loves it and watches it with the kids. It makes my ears want to puke.

Since we are talking screen, what is one show you can't grasp why it is/was popular?

Mine is definitely The Goldbergs. Just gave it one last chance the other night and had to google why it was still on. Inexplicably, it has a very positive metacritic audience score. Figured it ran a season or two and went off...nope it's still going 7 seasons later and it's syndicated. I get 80's nostalgia, but I've given it 4 or 5 episodes over the years and have yet to even crack a single laugh. I really like Jeff Garland too, the only redeemable part of it. Just my .02
Grey's Anatomy. General Hospital redux, IMO.

Reactions: Bret178
Pools will be a mini-battleground. Some HOAs are trying to alternate days by last name in order to reduce the number of people per day. The problem is that some will follow and others will just show up. Who will police that? Busy Body Belinda will have her clipboard checking everyone that comes in the gate? Do we get some of our HOA fees back when we can’t use the amenities full time?
I will say one thing is an undebatable fact. You ain't getting no HOA fees back.

Big Bang Theory is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I don't think it's funny, and puts off the vibe that everyone in academia are a-holes with aspergers or something. I don't know how many people have been like, "Working in academia must be like Big Bang Theory!"

Nope, my colleagues are normal, nice, and a lot come from working class backgrounds. That Sheldon dude wouldn't have made it past a skype interview for an academic position, because no one wants to sit in a faculty meeting with an @#$hole.
Don't be ashamed of your Asperger's, *******.

I find the BBT formulaic but funny. Comedic TV shows use caricatures. No one is actually as obnoxious as Sheldon, but there are parts of his personality people can relate to. Lots of people have a favorite spot on the couch and get annoyed when their routine is disrupted. Normal people just don't make others suffer like Sheldon does.

Also an old trope is when you have an extreme character (Leonard as the nerd / super-geek) as the protagonist you set him up with a more extreme character (Sheldon) to help him seem normal. Then you can play both their extremism for laughs but not lose the audience's connection to the protagonist. The Frasier / Niles dynamic was quite similar. Frasier was a pompous jerk, unless you compared him to his brother and then he seemed down to earth. Seinfeld / George was another one as both were self-absorbed but George took it to another level.

To each his own I guess. Comedy is definitely something everyone has different tastes in.
I have a very very eclectic taste in humor...and I am thankful for it.

I find the BBT formulaic but funny. Comedic TV shows use caricatures. No one is actually as obnoxious as Sheldon, but there are parts of his personality people can relate to. Lots of people have a favorite spot on the couch and get annoyed when their routine is disrupted. Normal people just don't make others suffer like Sheldon does.

Also an old trope is when you have an extreme character (Leonard as the nerd / super-geek) as the protagonist you set him up with a more extreme character (Sheldon) to help him seem normal. Then you can play both their extremism for laughs but not lose the audience's connection to the protagonist. The Frasier / Niles dynamic was quite similar. Frasier was a pompous jerk, unless you compared him to his brother and then he seemed down to earth. Seinfeld / George was another one as both were self-absorbed but George took it to another level.

To each his own I guess. Comedy is definitely something everyone has different tastes in.
Yep, and Penny is hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back