Marta Suárez commits to Lady Vols

I think the role she will be asked to play as a freshman will be some minutes spelling Davis at the three. I have every confidence that she can fill that role with a lot more efficiency and we want suffer a big let down in the eight to ten minutes she will more than likely play as a freshman. I know a lot don't agree but I think this player, Tess Darby, and Destiny Salary are a huge upgrade offensively over a lot of players we were using off the bench last season. I didn't add Green to those players because I honestly think she will start at the four position next year. Right now were going to be missing Harris, Massengill, and Brown. We can't add Zaay because she wasn't a factor last year anyway. My view is that these additions will add far more offense to the team and better off the bench play than we got from the losses. I know Massengill and Brown started and I think starting Green and Burrell in those two starting spots is an upgrade as well. The only factor I am concerned with is Horston at the PG alone we need that one more dynamic point guard and I think were ready for a great season.

Horston IS a dynamic PG...It is what she played through her younger years...She grew 6 inches in HS, that is why she is such a tall PG. But she does need a PG equal to her to back her up.
Just as Jazmine excelled in her soph season,Jordan will.
She will make more errors than did Jaz because she is a much more aggressive passer
once the teammates begin to understand that she IS going to give them feeds, they will begin to expect them.

She is already dynamic, but her teammates many times weren't ready for her passes.
Yes, she committed unforced errors too, but a good 20% of her passes should have been received that weren't and turnovers go to the passer not to the dropper.

I have coached this game for nearly 40 years and I predict this girl is going to be mentioned in the PG realm with the one coaching her. Mark my words,,,in fact do MARK my words down and use them against me later on.

I wouldn't say all the teams are overmatched they were legitimate u16 teams that competed against the best the USA has to offer quite well. Teams like Russia, Serbia, Brazil, Canada, I also think the competition in Spain is a lot better than a lot of other countries while agreeing it is not at the level of the USA at the most highest levels.
From the two videos I saw, it was only against over matched competition.

She seems like a good player. But still a freshman.

Looking forward to see how Coach Harper uses her in the rotation. I think she will be effective in the post.

From the two videos I saw, it was only against over matched competition.

She seems like a good player. But still a freshman.

Looking forward to see how Coach Harper uses her in the rotation. I think she will be effective in the post.

She's not being brought in to carry the team, only join it

Looking at Film she understands the game well good Offensive Skill. Question is Athletic ability at this level we will find out. But I do know this I see teams like Oregon St Iowa St ect have skilled offensive players with average athletic ability get the job done. We will just have to wait and see. So welcome Marta to Lady Vol Nation.
What I love is that she has a mid-range game . Much needed in this offense .

She is definitely a 2-3 type player but she has a good handle and can dribble coast to coast. She looks quite able to come in and give players Davis and Burrell a rest and not hurt the team much at all. She looks versatile enough to even play inside some at the four. She is definitely an upgrade over most of the players we had on the bench last season I think all three freshmen are. I'm fine with every position now starters and backups except the point guard position. Right now it is Horston and then you use a freshman like Salary or Darby and neither played point guard in high school although both are excellent ball handlers and excellent passers.
VF2012, I know you're worried about the point guard position , but I believe Jordan is going to ease our anxieties. I believe Coach will have her ready come play
time. Plus the kid works hard on her game.

In fairness, I don't think he's saying Kellie needs to provide an explanation for Jaz leaving...more that the next need for the team is a veteran PG to replace Jaz.

As for Marta...additional size, shooting skill and depth is always a good thing. Rennia graduates next year and Marta can learn under her this year and provide Kellie with options for how to replace her. International experience is generally a positive. UConn had some success with their freshman G who was a foreign player no one had heard much about, and they are bringing in one next year, and Oregon has done well with foreign players too. There's a bigger market than just AAU, so why not go after i?
I don't understand how Jas is a veteran pg , and if so then Horston is rightfully a veteran pg having started and played more minutes than Jas as a freshmen. Correct me if Im wrong.

FOUND RECENT VIDEO!!! Full game #16 she starts. From January 2020

In scouting this game:
  • Good BHer for a forward
  • Good footwork on offense
  • Gets open down low
  • Uses her teammates as screens to get open
  • calls for the ball with hands high (gives a good target with her hands)
  • Will attack the lane and is not afraid of contact
  • Prefers the baseline spot but can play from the top
  • If she can't attack or shoot she gets rid of the ball quickly
  • a threat to shoot from anywhere
  • A good zone defender
  • Can create an open shot, but not as adept at creating an open drive yet
  • Her turnovers are not handling/dribbling turnovers, they are passing TOs
  • She will have to go on a weight-lifting and speed program
  • Not fast, but very coordinated
  • Will have to learn the concept of help-defense

Reactions: VolFuture2k22
VF2012, I know you're worried about the point guard position , but I believe Jordan is going to ease our anxieties. I believe Coach will have her ready come play
time. Plus the kid works hard on her game.

I think the more pressing issue is there is no true back up PG in case Horston needs a breather, is in foul trouble, or God forbid...gets injured. There is no PG depth, and no one on the roster presents as an option Getting a quality back up PG behind Jordan will address these concerns.

I think the more pressing issue is there is no true back up PG in case Horston needs a breather, is in foul trouble, or God forbid...gets injured. There is no PG depth, and no one on the roster presents as an option Getting a quality back up PG behind Jordan will address these concerns.

This is my concern too...I like the get of Marta,but it didn't fill the most prominent need

I don't understand how Jas is a veteran pg , and if so then Horston is rightfully a veteran pg having started and played more minutes than Jas as a freshmen. Correct me if Im wrong.

As a jr. having been the starting PG her entire sophomore year, then Jaz absolutely would be considered a veteran PG. Horston played more minutes as a freshman, but she was mainly at the SG spot with some limited minutes as PG. She's an experienced guard, but not an experienced PG.

I really believe this is because there are just fewer leaks. People that used to be “in the know” aren’t anymore with the coaching changes. With Holly still there people had a channel to get information. The new staff seem to play things much closer to the vest. Which I personally like.

We heard NOTHING about Marta that I’m aware of. Goldwire is tight lipped about recruiting I think. That’s not a bad thing either. If nobody knows who you’re after there is less competition.

I agree VolBall09 ! But you get a few clowns on this board trying to stir up the pot. I just never heard of her, But from what i see on the video she is more of a wing then a guard.

Reactions: VolBall09
As a jr. having been the starting PG her entire sophomore year, then Jaz absolutely would be considered a veteran PG. Horston played more minutes as a freshman, but she was mainly at the SG spot with some limited minutes as PG. She's an experienced guard, but not an experienced PG.

As I posted earlier..
Horston IS a dynamic PG...It is what she played through her younger years...She grew 6 inches in HS, that is why she is such a tall PG. But she does need a PG equal to her to back her up.
Just as Jazmine excelled in her soph season,Jordan will.
She will make more errors than did Jaz because she is a much more aggressive passer
once the teammates begin to understand that she IS going to give them feeds, they will begin to expect them.

She is already dynamic, but her teammates many times weren't ready for her passes.
Yes, she committed unforced errors too, but a good 20% of her passes should have been received that weren't and turnovers go to the passer not to the dropper.

I have coached this game for nearly 40 years and I predict this girl is going to be mentioned in the PG realm with the one coaching her. Mark my words,,,in fact do MARK my words down and use them against me later on.

Who would every think or say that she was brought in to carry the team?

Not you specifically, but people seem to be putting a lot more emphasis on her than I see.
She is a role player, not a foundation player as I see her, at this writing

Sorry if you took it to mean you

Reactions: Indianafan
1483415081527-T0R6ZDE16RRK6APP6U5Y

Not you specifically, but people seem to be putting a lot more emphasis on her than I see.
She is a role player, not a foundation player as I see her, at this writing

Sorry if you took it to mean you
Well, you did reply directly to me. How could I not.

I agree totally with your assessment. She is a role player. I'm looking forward to see what role she will play. You pointed out that she is decent in a zone defense implying that she will struggle in man-to-man. I believe that is true. Kinda like Lou Brown in that regard.

It is obvious that there is a need for more depth at PG. Per Jordan, the contingencies of foul trouble in a given game, an injury, illness, and just the need to not wear her out over the course of a season, all demand a competent back-up.

But, Kellie and staff can't put everything else on hold until they sign one. You need players and depth at multiple positions. And the order of signings and player availability does not always correspond to need priorities.

Unless signing Marta meant they could not sign another (i.e. she was the last available scholarship), the response of "oh but she is not a PG" is 1) obviously true and 2) irrelevant to the situation. I am sure Kellie and staff are working on redressing the PG need but the opportunity to sign Marta obviously materialized first.

In scouting this game:
  • Good BHer for a forward
  • Good footwork on offense
  • Gets open down low
  • Uses her teammates as screens to get open
  • calls for the ball with hands high (gives a good target with her hands)
  • Will attack the lane and is not afraid of contact
  • Prefers the baseline spot but can play from the top
  • If she can't attack or shoot she gets rid of the ball quickly
  • a threat to shoot from anywhere
  • A good zone defender
  • Can create an open shot, but not as adept at creating an open drive yet
  • Her turnovers are not handling/dribbling turnovers, they are passing TOs
  • She will have to go on a weight-lifting and speed program
  • Not fast, but very coordinated
  • Will have to learn the concept of help-defense

Yes, not fast but very good hand-eye coordination. Probably needs to transfer about 10 pounds into muscle. I see her in the 3 position.

Must have grade issues

???
It’s not the junior college in Panama City. It’s to FGCU which is a member of the Atlantic Sun—the same conference that has Lipscomb, Liberty, etc. They’ve made the big dance a few times and were 30-3 this year.

Reactions: Only1COJ

VN Store

Back