Marta Suárez commits to Lady Vols

Well, you did reply directly to me. How could I not.

I agree totally with your assessment. She is a role player. I'm looking forward to see what role she will play. You pointed out that she is decent in a zone defense implying that she will struggle in man-to-man. I believe that is true. Kinda like Lou Brown in that regard.

She is definitely more mobile and a better man defender than Lou was, but her fast-twitch defense will need to be worked on

VF2012, I know you're worried about the point guard position , but I believe Jordan is going to ease our anxieties. I believe Coach will have her ready come play
time. Plus the kid works hard on her game.

I've said many times Jordan is the most talented player on the team, but if she is the primary point guard this team will be in serious trouble. Players like Marta are fine for depth purposes, which obviously fills a need, but the importance of finding a good point guard with experience in the transfer portal can't be overstated...

Last edited:
From the two videos I saw, it was only against over matched competition.

She seems like a good player. But still a freshman.

Looking forward to see how Coach Harper uses her in the rotation. I think she will be effective in the post.
Agree she is not going to be a world beater but think she will be reliable enough to give Davis a few minutes rest on the bench if that ends up being where she plays. I really think she will be the backup to Davis with Burrell becoming the starting two guard.

VF2012, I know you're worried about the point guard position , but I believe Jordan is going to ease our anxieties. I believe Coach will have her ready come play
time. Plus the kid works hard on her game.
Who is the backup is the main worry. I am looking for a breakout season from Jordan she needs a solid backup at that position. Right now as I look at the roster who is that Salary or Darby nobody else on the present roster can play there.

Who is the backup is the main worry. I am looking for a breakout season from Jordan she needs a solid backup at that position. Right now as I look at the roster who is that Salary or Darby nobody else on the present roster can play there.

I’m interested in Raina Perez. RS JR out of Cal State Fullerton. She averaged 19.8 ppg and was the Big West POY. Would be an excellent backup PG. Unsure on when she would be eligible though. She’s only 5’4” but lightening quick. 4 assist per game and 1.3 A/t ratio.

It is obvious that there is a need for more depth at PG. Per Jordan, the contingencies of foul trouble in a given game, an injury, illness, and just the need to not wear her out over the course of a season, all demand a competent back-up.

But, Kellie and staff can't put everything else on hold until they sign one. You need players and depth at multiple positions. And the order of signings and player availability does not always correspond to need priorities.

Unless signing Marta meant they could not sign another (i.e. she was the last available scholarship), the response of "oh but she is not a PG" is 1) obviously true and 2) irrelevant to the situation. I am sure Kellie and staff are working on redressing the PG need but the opportunity to sign Marta obviously materialized first.
I only posted she was not a point guard in response to a post that said she was a combo guard.

I’m interested in Raina Perez. RS JR out of Cal State Fullerton. She averaged 19.8 ppg and was the Big West POY. Would be an excellent backup PG. Unsure on when she would be eligible though. She’s only 5’4” but lightening quick. 4 assist per game and 1.3 A/t ratio.
I saw her she would certainly be an asset not as great a three point shooter as you like but she knows how to take care of the ball and is a great passing guard.

Reactions: VolBall09
Horston IS a dynamic PG...It is what she played through her younger years...She grew 6 inches in HS, that is why she is such a tall PG. But she does need a PG equal to her to back her up.
Just as Jazmine excelled in her soph season,Jordan will.
She will make more errors than did Jaz because she is a much more aggressive passer
once the teammates begin to understand that she IS going to give them feeds, they will begin to expect them.

She is already dynamic, but her teammates many times weren't ready for her passes.
Yes, she committed unforced errors too, but a good 20% of her passes should have been received that weren't and turnovers go to the passer not to the dropper.

I have coached this game for nearly 40 years and I predict this girl is going to be mentioned in the PG realm with the one coaching her. Mark my words,,,in fact do MARK my words down and use them against me later on.
LYP.
Love Your Post. On the money

LYP.
Love Your Post. On the money
Thanks for the vote of confidence
I said from the gitgo that Horston would be special and I stand on that assertion
I believe in that kid

Some will accuse me of favoritism, but its not about that
As a coach I know when a Chamique, Maya, Candace potential comes along
There aren't many of them in a lifetime

Thanks for the vote of confidence
I said from the gitgo that Horston would be special and I stand on that assertion
I believe in that kid

As a coach I know when a Chamique, Maya, Candace potential comes along
There aren't many of them in a lifetime
Did you just imply that Horston can be another Holdsclaw, Moore or Parker?

A typical Lady Vol poster's reaction, after Darth said "Who?"
liberal-mad-women.jpg
Tell me about it. Even start a hashtag in support and they try to get you cancelled. I’m off the #ZaayGreenGang and now in #MartasMafia #SuarezCartel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bret178
I hope this doesn't mean the transfer portal well is drying up. I have no idea if she will be any good or not, but anyone pretending they've heard of this player before now is lying...
If Kellie thinks she is right for the Lady Vols, then I trust her. The transfer portal is not always the best source for talent, and it certainly isn't the only source.

Smart move going to Europe for talent. Spain is a basketball hotbed so that is a great talent pool to mine. The harsh reality is that a coach recruits a different caliber player for a MIssouri State than for a program with the history and aspirations of the Tennessee lady vols. And recruiting blue chip players is a process that usually involves coaches building relations with players over several years. Though a coach can not officially contact a recruit until the player has completed their sophomore year, other kinds of contacts through coaching camps, etc. can be used to build a relationship. So, Kellie is behind the curve in developing those kind of domestic ties for at least another season or two.

Under the conditions, Tess Darby is a really good signing but the roste holes to fill are much bigger than that.

The process for European players does not seem to have become as formalized, particularly on the women's side so that is a great way to jump start recruiting and fill immediate needs.

And Kudos to kellie for beating out Duke and UCLA; two elite universities that have a lot to offer a student-athlete.
It's going to take three more years for us to be back at the top. Any sooner, great. But it don't happen over night. And also, Kellie knows how to put a team together. Just because a player is 5 stars doesn't mean she's right for our team.

It's going to take three more years for us to be back at the top. Any sooner, great. But it don't happen over night. And also, Kellie knows how to put a team together. Just because a player is 5 stars doesn't mean she's right for our team.
Believe it or not our team will be similar to Kellies at mo state but with better player in all positions. We will see bigger and better shooters in at least 3 positions and will move the ball up the court with more speed. May be 2 more years of her recruiting to get there but that is what I think. The Key girls are the key to our success.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I read that as she shot 46% on two point shots only (not factoring in threes)...
Yes, and 34% 3 pt. I thought I said that.
Oh heavens no! Who would think that. Jordan=the new Mimi.
Did you just imply that Horston can be another Holdsclaw, Moore or Parker?
Jordan Horston starting to remind me of Chuck Norris! Lordy by next fall they'll have her in the Hall of Fame.

I give KJH credit for apparently making a bold decision. She agrees JH is Chuck Norris, and she's fully investing in her as PG. As goes Jordans improvement goes the next version of the LVs. KJH been coaching a little longer than me, so hopefully she's making the right call. I really, really hope so. But I'll be honest, it's terrifying to me.

So I also really hope there's that steady, experienced PG out there just busting to transfer to the LVs. Just a little margin for error. Another recruiting need we talked about during the season that they've yet to address is an upgrade in quickness, especially on the perimeter. So that magical transfer PG can be quick too.

VN Store

Back