Marta Suárez commits to Lady Vols

In fairness, I don't think he's saying Kellie needs to provide an explanation for Jaz leaving...more that the next need for the team is a veteran PG to replace Jaz.

As for Marta...additional size, shooting skill and depth is always a good thing. Rennia graduates next year and Marta can learn under her this year and provide Kellie with options for how to replace her. International experience is generally a positive. UConn had some success with their freshman G who was a foreign player no one had heard much about, and they are bringing in one next year, and Oregon has done well with foreign players too. There's a bigger market than just AAU, so why not go after i?

From an Oregon fan, here are some details: Maite Cazorla (also from Spain) was Kelley Graves's first important recruit after he arrived at Oregon. No one had heard of her as well, but she was a stellar point guard, who was drafted in the third round of the WNBA draft last year and is now with the Atlanta Dream. The #2 pick in this year's draft (Satou Sabally) is from Germany--more widely known that Cazorla, certainly, but not well known enough to attract the attention of many Power 5 schools during her recruitment (Hoopgurlz ranked her #36; I think Cazorla may have been around #100, if she was ranked at all); her sister (Nyara) is reputed to be as good, if not better, but injuries have derailed her for two years running now. The coming season, if there is one, should tell the story in that regard. And Jaz Shelley--from Australia--will likely be the team's starting point guard for 2020-21.

Oregon also lost a point guard recruit from Spain who was at least as talented as Cazorla, but turned pro after her freshman year--one of the dangers of recruiting international players. But they more often than not have a lot of experience playing at a very high level, and so can be more mature in key ways than someone coming out of high school. It takes time to adjust--Sabally seemed to travel every other possession as a freshman--but, from what I have seen, most shoot very well and are unselfish. That's certainly the case with the freshman at UCONN this year and there is another guard coming (from Croatia) for 2020, a sign that Auriema has realized that the pool of quality players (or the kind of players he wants) is not limited to the US. I think those positives are involved here as well.

Contrary to the typical pile-on from my fan club, I'm not "trashing" anyone. Like I said, I don't know anything about her, other than she will be a true freshman. Since Jaz left, Kellie still hasn't addressed the team's biggest need... an experienced VETERAN point guard.
If she had, you would find something else to complain about. That is why you have such a vocal “fan club”.

Looking at Film she understands the game well good Offensive Skill. Question is Athletic ability at this level we will find out. But I do know this I see teams like Oregon St Iowa St ect have skilled offensive players with average athletic ability get the job done. We will just have to wait and see. So welcome Marta to Lady Vol Nation.
Athletes sure haven't worked out lately for UT.

WELCOME MARTA! Congratulations on being recruited by, and choosing the Tennessee Lady Vols! Will always be cheering you on as a Lady Vol!

So, we’re surprised to get a new highly rated recruit from Spain? I am, and I’m not. We have vocal posters here who every day, criticize or post their doubts over Kellie, her staff, and every new recruit (before they even get here). They are often just plain nasty. Some are trolls (really fans of other teams), some wanted a different Coach, some want to show how wise they are by posting their doubts, and some are just jerks (as Lucy said).

Unfortunately, that will continue, but I know this: Kellie has been a high achiever her whole life, she loves the Tennessee Lady Vols, and NO Coach will outwork her. The era of older Coaches is changing to one of younger Coaches, and our future is bright. GO Marta, GO Kellie, and GO LADY VOLS!!!

Last edited:
the-futures-so-bright-i-have-to-wear-shades

Welcome, Marta!!!

Y'all can pile on if you want but I hadn't heard of her until today either. Two thoughts:

1. Kellie has an opening now and believes Suarez gives her a big physical guard that can shoot and play the role Kellie envisions for her.

2. Excellent, excellent security. No one knew this was going to occur. Makes me wonder who else may be a silent commit.
I would guess no one on here had heard of her before. The issue was the immediate and never ending derision and snarkiness that an 18 year old young woman’s big announcement was met with by one poster.
Regarding security, I agree. We posters can get our pants in a wad worrying about recruiting but the coaches work on this everyday for months. We could probably all worry a little less about this. For example I’m sure Kellie and staff know it would be great to have an experienced backup point guard on board. My heartburn about it probably isn’t adding to the process at all;)

I ask that because it`s been very mute on the recruiting front for this program. As for talented player everyone on the roster is talented player. like i said i don`t know anything about her and nor do you.

I really believe this is because there are just fewer leaks. People that used to be “in the know” aren’t anymore with the coaching changes. With Holly still there people had a channel to get information. The new staff seem to play things much closer to the vest. Which I personally like.

We heard NOTHING about Marta that I’m aware of. Goldwire is tight lipped about recruiting I think. That’s not a bad thing either. If nobody knows who you’re after there is less competition.

Last edited:
Shooting stats are very good. 46% fg would have tied her with Davis for best on team this past season, her 34% 3 pt shooting would have led the team. Add 75% ft shooting and its very impressive. I do wonder the level of the competition she faced though.

Then my eyeballs get stabbed with the high number of t.o.s, most on her team. I'm sure as the MVP the ball was in her hands alot so she had plenty of t.o. opportunites. But for the love of God, the way the next LV team is shaping up the LAST thing we need is yet another turnover prone player. I'm telling ya'll, we're going to break 30 t.o.s a game at some point. Hopefully she's worked hard on her handle.

I agree with madtowne, credit KJH for being innovative and making something happen. Needed that right now, and this looks like a solid get, possibly an important piece of the future puzzle.

Now we must have a solid, experienced point guard. Floor general type, keep the wild ponies on the right path. There's plenty of them out there just waiting on a call, right?

Keep in mind that her 3pt.% is on the international line. 22’1-1/4” compared to the 20’9” women’s NCAA distance. In her highlight video she shot a couple pull-ups from around 20’.

Good data about the different distances of the 3 point ball...This can, and will only help, the young lady from Spain...She shoots the 3 ball with a nice arch, this is good.

Things are looking up around here.....
328738.jpg.jpg

Good data about the different distances of the 3 point ball...This can, and will only help, the young lady from Spain...She shoots the 3 ball with a nice arch, this is good.

Things are looking up around here.....
328738.jpg.jpg

2 feet is like a mile when you're out there on the floor...

I have shot a 3 on an NBA court and the 23 feet 9 inches compared to the 20 feet 9 inches in college ball felt like it was ten feet further.

Its really hard to analyze a player based on one highlight video against what is clearly an overmatch team.

But that doesn’t stop us!
I wouldn't say all the teams are overmatched they were legitimate u16 teams that competed against the best the USA has to offer quite well. Teams like Russia, Serbia, Brazil, Canada, I also think the competition in Spain is a lot better than a lot of other countries while agreeing it is not at the level of the USA at the most highest levels.

Reactions: Ladyvol777
I wouldn't say all the teams are overmatched they were legitimate u16 teams that competed against the best the USA has to offer quite well. Teams like Russia, Serbia, Brazil, Canada, I also think the competition in Spain is a lot better than a lot of other countries while agreeing it is not at the level of the USA at the most highest levels.
Yes, but her experience would probably be greater than AAU ball?

Reactions: Ladyvol777
Kellie is not going to waste a scholarship on good talent that is not going to develop. She wants this baller and you can bet she and her staff have done their homework. She knows a lot more about team needs than we do. She also gets to keep that scholarship for next years class. Looks like a golden opportunity to beef up the team with someone who will (significantly) contribute early. Marta will be a household name in Lady Vol land in the not too distant future. Babies will be named after her. Wait and see....

Kellie is not going to waste a scholarship on good talent that is not going to develop. She wants this baller and you can bet she and her staff have done their homework. She knows a lot more about team needs than we do. She also gets to keep that scholarship for next years class. Looks like a golden opportunity to beef up the team with someone who will (significantly) contribute early. Marta will be a household name in Lady Vol land in the not too distant future. Babies will be named after her. Wait and see....

Rickster, your post "has style".....Great Job my friend.

Reactions: Rickster
Yes, but her experience would probably be greater than AAU ball?
I think the role she will be asked to play as a freshman will be some minutes spelling Davis at the three. I have every confidence that she can fill that role with a lot more efficiency and we want suffer a big let down in the eight to ten minutes she will more than likely play as a freshman. I know a lot don't agree but I think this player, Tess Darby, and Destiny Salary are a huge upgrade offensively over a lot of players we were using off the bench last season. I didn't add Green to those players because I honestly think she will start at the four position next year. Right now were going to be missing Harris, Massengill, and Brown. We can't add Zaay because she wasn't a factor last year anyway. My view is that these additions will add far more offense to the team and better off the bench play than we got from the losses. I know Massengill and Brown started and I think starting Green and Burrell in those two starting spots is an upgrade as well. The only factor I am concerned with is Horston at the PG alone we need that one more dynamic point guard and I think were ready for a great season.

VN Store

Back