Recruiting Forum Off Topic Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about buying a pontoon boat.

Never owned a boat before. Haven’t really done much research into it yet.... but I think a pontoon boat would be the most family friendly

Any advice?
Get @InVOLuntary to build you a houseboat. He promised me he would build me one at cost +10% in a few years.

A businessman that has run pretty much everything he has "owned" into the ground lol.

Welp, I'm sure Biden, the guy who has lived off the public dime since 1972, has the business acumen to make everything better. Listening to him, it seems the only thing he hasn't taken credit for while VP was inventing fire.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Jackcrevol
Usually is the police or EMS providing the narcan. Is it not their purpose to serve and protect?

What exactly would police do in a libertarian imaginary world? Or I guess there would be no public police. Just privately contracted bodyguards or protective forces on retainer? Those with means can pay for protection.

In a libertarian world the police would still exist. However, in contrast to their current function, their purpose would not be to enforce unjust legislation. They would be responsible for arresting and holding individuals who violated another individual's natural rights (murder, assault, theft).

In a libertarian world the police would still exist. However, in contrast to their current function, their purpose would not be to enforce unjust legislation. They would be responsible for arresting and holding individuals who violated another individual's natural rights (murder, assault, theft).
Would they be funded by private contracts or public? Who determines "unjust" legislation? Those in power/paying?

I'd dislike that there is no one there to protect the worse off, the suicidal, and those in involuntary fatal situations.

Pure libtertarianism, taken to the most local levels, ends in a toll being on every road, or no maintained roads at all.

Last edited:
Would they be funded by private contracts or public? Who determines "unjust" legislation? Those in power/paying?

I'd dislike that there is no one there to protect the worse off, the suicidal, and those in involuntary fatal situations.

Pure libtertarianism, taken to the most local levels, ends in a toll being on every road, or no maintained roads at all.

Unjust legislation is any legislation that violates a person's right to conduct their life as they wish as long as they dont infringe on another person's right to do the same.

Again, police could exist in a libertarian world. They just wouldn't be writing frivolous tickets and throwing people in jail for possessing a plant. I'm not sure what you mean by "worse off" or involuntary fatal situations.

As for roads, I see nothing wrong with people who use the roads more being required to pay more as they would in a "toll on every road" situation.

Reactions: bignewt
Just north is Charlotte
Ok. I was going to recommend a manufacturer that sells direct to the public but they are in Tennessee. If you are willing to make that drive I can give you their contact info.

If you want to buy used and want to stay local, I recommend buying from an individual. The engines are where the money is on these boats. I am a Honda dealer so I am partial to Honda. But, Yamaha, Mercury, and Suzuki all are good engines. Make sure you buy a boat that has a four stroke engine. Do not buy a two stroke. The new hot things with pontoon boats are tri-toons toons that go fast. They need decent size motors that do this. It would be silly to buy a tri-toon with a small engine. If you have kids and want to tube and ski and knee board, make sure you get a decent size motor. I'd think at least a 115HP. If you want to just put around and swim off it then you can go smaller on the engine. Remember fuel economy is more about work done rather than size of engine. Sometimes you can get better fuel economy from a 150HP operating at half throttle than a 90hp at full throttle.

If you find something you think you like, shoot me a link and I'll check it out and give you my best guess as to what I think.

That may be true. Most that I have dealt with are more liberal than they even acknowlege. That's why I said the ones I have discussions with.

Almost to a T i'll ask them their views on drugs. Most say they are for complete legalization of drugs which is the true libertarian way. People can put anything they wish into their bodies. Then I ask, when we find them on the side of the road OD'd on heroin or another opiate, your ok with letting them die where they lay? No narcan? We'll, no! Why would I be for not rescuing someone dying? Well it costs others in the form of taxes and resources. Well we can divert all the money from the war on drugs, they say. I usually stop right there.

I'm not saying all libertarians are liberals but many are.
I think Libertarianism is, like any other political ideology, a spectrum. People always lean one way or another, they just identify with the party that most resonates with them. That depends a lot on what they’re motivated by in most cases. Most libertarians probably identify as “fiscally conservative, socially liberal.”

Reactions: bignewt
I think Libertarianism is, like any other political ideology, a spectrum. People always lean one way or another, they just identify with the party that most resonates with them. That depends a lot on what they’re motivated by in most cases. Most libertarians probably identify as “fiscally conservative, socially liberal.”
I agree but most of the time the two ideologies conflict with one another. It's easier to be fiscally conservative and libertarian than the other way around. But that's just my opinion.

Reactions: NashVolDavis
The economy was certainly better when Trump took office than what it was when Obama took office, but there had really not been nearly enough of an economic recovery over the 8 years from 2009 to 2017 as we would expect.

Remember when Obama said in 2016 that Trump would need a magic wand to restore the manufacturing sector? And then basically said Trump didn't have one, so mocked Trump's suggestion he could.

During a speech Wednesday, the president (Obama) bashed one of the candidate's (Trump's) central arguments that international trade and immigration have hurt American voters. He called Trump's pledge to roll back Wall Street regulations "crazy."

"That will not help us win," Obama said of Trump. "That is not going to make your lives better."

Turns out de-regulation did work. And cutting the corporate tax rate to make the US attractive again to manufacturing.

Obama to Trump: 'What magic wand do you have?'

Economists also credit Trump.
Economists agree: Trump, not Obama, gets credit for economy

I agree about the parties, which is why I have been an independent all my life. That is why Trump seemed to be an intriguing candidate, because he was not a long time politician, and why I was willing to give a businessman a shot to see if he really could get the economy rolling again.

I can definitely relate to the thought process of voting for a candidate who is not a career politician. Also agree with your point on Trump's policies that brought back manufacturing.

There is never a perfect candidate and economically he was a good candidate. What I despise about him is the childish rhetoric and eagerness to mock other views. I also had serious concerns about his diplomatic policies and ability to unify and lead in a crisis.

I never expected this administration to face something like we are now but I also don't feel like it was taken seriously early enough. He also needs to stop projecting what he wants to happen and take a wait-and-see approach based on scientific expertise, how the situation plays out and what will keep everyone safe.

Ultimately, I just think he is a horrible human being but I don't feel like he is a completely horrible president.

That may be true. Most that I have dealt with are more liberal than they even acknowlege. That's why I said the ones I have discussions with.

Almost to a T i'll ask them their views on drugs. Most say they are for complete legalization of drugs which is the true libertarian way. People can put anything they wish into their bodies. Then I ask, when we find them on the side of the road OD'd on heroin or another opiate, your ok with letting them die where they lay? No narcan? We'll, no! Why would I be for not rescuing someone dying? Well it costs others in the form of taxes and resources. Well we can divert all the money from the war on drugs, they say. I usually stop right there.

I'm not saying all libertarians are liberals but many are.

....and many are not. I’d doubt that’s a majority.

I’m good with legal weed. Pretty dumb and archaic that it’s illegal. But idk anyone who says heroin/meth should be legal no matter the party to which they align themselves. But I concede I can’t state with certainty that is the majority’s stance on the issue.

EDIT: I stand corrected, I see the official stance of Libertarianism is just as you said.
2nd edit: Guess I was thinking only about Gary Johnson? I believe he only wanted to legalize weed.

Last edited:
I can definitely relate to the thought process of voting for a candidate who is not a career politician. Also agree with your point on Trump's policies that brought back manufacturing.

There is never a perfect candidate and economically he was a good candidate. What I despise about him is the childish rhetoric and eagerness to mock other views. I also had serious concerns about his diplomatic policies and ability to unify and lead in a crisis.

I never expected this administration to face something like we are now but I also don't feel like it was taken seriously early enough. He also needs to stop projecting what he wants to happen and take a wait-and-see approach based on scientific expertise, how the situation plays out and what will keep everyone safe.

Ultimately, I just think he is a horrible human being but I don't feel like he is a completely horrible president.
I hope people remember this in November.

I don't think that's his point. Much to the media's shock and surprise, despite their constant BS, the most recent Gallup poll showed a 60% approval rating for the president's handling of the virus, but only 44% approved of the media's coverage, which immediately prompted calls from some in the media to quit covering his press conferences and only show their selected edits from it. How great is that? The media doesn't trust you to hear what the president says, but would rather spoon feed you with what they want you to hear. And we have already seen how the try to shape narratives with selective editing. I imagine the president is tossing that statement out there like red meat because he knows the media will go nuts over it.
I stiil can't believe how blindly stupid some people are..It is amazing that it still amazes me.

Look..I think Trump is a mess, but the mainstream media, outside of Fox, are a leftist propaganda machine, and Fox is almost as bad the other way.

....and many are not. I’d doubt that’s a majority.

I’m good with legal weed. Pretty dumb and archaic that it’s illegal. But idk anyone who says heroin/meth should be legal no matter the party to which they align themselves. But I concede I can’t state with certainty that is the majority’s stance on the issue.

EDIT: I stand corrected, I see the official stance of Libertarianism is just as you said.
2nd edit: Guess I was thinking only about Gary Johnson? I believe he only wanted to legalize weed.

I'm not casting judgment on anyone or party. My point was that about every libertarian I've met is not a true libertarian. I realize it's not a scientific poll and is not the case with all or even many libertarians just the ones I had encountered.

As to myself, while not a member of the party, I find myself more libertarian. I believein personal freedom but also in personal responsibility. I'm also a realist and won't let people die in the streets from an OD or let people starve in the streets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back