Recruiting Forum Off Topic Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahead of his time...unfortunately, we ended up with the worst possible billionaire businessman as president.

A strong independent candidate would have been a good option for this election. Instead we get another turd-sammich vs. big giant douche choice to make.

Then you got your wish. Trump was an independent candidate who ran as a Republican. Same as Bernie is an independent who ran as a Democrat in 2016 and again this cycle. Trump got elected 1) because Hillary is not likable, and 2) he was not a Washington swamp rat, but was rather seen more as a populist candidate.

Not talking about anyone here but every libertarian I've had a lengthy discussion with are really liberals when you peel away the layers.
100% disagree! Plenty of conservative libertarians out there - libertarianism is more fiscally conservative than modern republicanism.

Then you got your wish. Trump was an independent candidate who ran as a Republican. Same as Bernie is an independent who ran as a Democrat in 2016 and again this cycle. Trump got elected 1) because Hillary is not likable, and 2) he was not a Washington swamp rat, but was rather seen more as a populist candidate.

I get your point but definitely didn't get my wish.

I do respect how the economy was doing up until recently but I'm hesitant to give Trump too much credit for that being that it was his first term and he inherited a fairly strong economy.

I'm just sick of not liking either candidate or party very much.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
100% disagree! Plenty of conservative libertarians out there - libertarianism is more fiscally conservative than modern republicanism.
That may be true. Most that I have dealt with are more liberal than they even acknowlege. That's why I said the ones I have discussions with.

Almost to a T i'll ask them their views on drugs. Most say they are for complete legalization of drugs which is the true libertarian way. People can put anything they wish into their bodies. Then I ask, when we find them on the side of the road OD'd on heroin or another opiate, your ok with letting them die where they lay? No narcan? We'll, no! Why would I be for not rescuing someone dying? Well it costs others in the form of taxes and resources. Well we can divert all the money from the war on drugs, they say. I usually stop right there.

I'm not saying all libertarians are liberals but many are.

That may be true. Most that I have dealt with are more liberal than they even acknowlege. That's why I said the ones I have discussions with.

Almost to a T i'll ask them their views on drugs. Most say they are for complete legalization of drugs which is the true libertarian way. People can put anything they wish into their bodies. Then I ask, when we find them on the side of the road OD'd on heroin or another opiate, your ok with letting them die where they lay? No narcan? We'll, no! Why would I be for not rescuing someone dying? Well it costs others in the form of taxes and resources. Well we can divert all the money from the war on drugs, they say. I usually stop right there.

I'm not saying all libertarians are liberals but many are.
I'd let them die right there, it was their decision. So guess I'm not a liberal?🤠

I get your point but definitely didn't get my wish.

I do respect how the economy was doing up until recently but I'm hesitant to give Trump too much credit for that being that it was his first term and he inherited a fairly strong economy.

I'm just sick of not liking either candidate or party very much.

The economy was certainly better when Trump took office than what it was when Obama took office, but there had really not been nearly enough of an economic recovery over the 8 years from 2009 to 2017 as we would expect.

Remember when Obama said in 2016 that Trump would need a magic wand to restore the manufacturing sector? And then basically said Trump didn't have one, so mocked Trump's suggestion he could.

During a speech Wednesday, the president (Obama) bashed one of the candidate's (Trump's) central arguments that international trade and immigration have hurt American voters. He called Trump's pledge to roll back Wall Street regulations "crazy."

"That will not help us win," Obama said of Trump. "That is not going to make your lives better."

Turns out de-regulation did work. And cutting the corporate tax rate to make the US attractive again to manufacturing.

Obama to Trump: 'What magic wand do you have?'

Economists also credit Trump.
Economists agree: Trump, not Obama, gets credit for economy

I agree about the parties, which is why I have been an independent all my life. That is why Trump seemed to be an intriguing candidate, because he was not a long time politician, and why I was willing to give a businessman a shot to see if he really could get the economy rolling again.

The economy was certainly better when Trump took office than what it was when Obama took office, but there had really not been nearly enough of an economic recovery over the 8 years from 2009 to 2017 as we would expect.

Remember when Obama said in 2016 that Trump would need a magic wand to restore the manufacturing sector? And then basically said Trump didn't have one, so mocked Trump's suggestion he could.

During a speech Wednesday, the president (Obama) bashed one of the candidate's (Trump's) central arguments that international trade and immigration have hurt American voters. He called Trump's pledge to roll back Wall Street regulations "crazy."

"That will not help us win," Obama said of Trump. "That is not going to make your lives better."

Turns out de-regulation did work. And cutting the corporate tax rate to make the US attractive again to manufacturing.

I agree about the parties, which is why I have been an independent all my life. That is why Trump seemed to be an intriguing candidate, because he was not a long time politician, and why I was willing to give a businessman a shot to see if he really could get the economy rolling again.
then Covid happened.

Thinking about buying a pontoon boat.

Never owned a boat before. Haven’t really done much research into it yet.... but I think a pontoon boat would be the most family friendly

Any advice?

A businessman that has run pretty much everything he has "owned" into the ground lol.

I haven’t read the political debate but I bet it’s been productive and caused a lot of individuals to see things from the opposing perspective.

I'd let them die right there, it was their decision. So guess I'm not a liberal?🤠
Usually is the police or EMS providing the narcan. Is it not their purpose to serve and protect?

What exactly would police do in a libertarian imaginary world? Or I guess there would be no public police. Just privately contracted bodyguards or protective forces on retainer? Those with means can pay for protection.

Usually is the police or EMS providing the narcan. Is it not their purpose to serve and protect?

What exactly would police do in a libertarian imaginary world? Or I guess there would be no public police. Just privately contracted bodyguards or protective forces on retainer? Those with means can pay for protection.
In an imaginary world we would all have superpowers and own unicorns as pets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back