Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, we already know the army had to move corpses in Italy and dead people in the streets of China at the worst. I haven't heard anything like this with the flu.
Influenza kills 250,000 to 650,000 every year. The Spanish Flu is estimated to have killed 50,000,000...ever heard of it? I’m not downplaying the severity of this outbreak...but it’ll never catch the flu.

As a break from the virus talk, might as well enjoy a 'fans meltdown on social media' greatest hits compilation. It includes UT during the DD-era, along with Teas, Auburn, and FSU. Some of our comments could be in there.

"Poole is out. Does this mean we go from -29 rushing yards to -59? Big loss."

"I'm glad my whore ex wife got the tickets in the divorce."

NSFW: "It’s Meltdown Time!" Greatest Hits, Volume One

I have to say though that the Longhorn fans' rants are on another level. Those guys have this meltdown thing really fine-tuned. You would think UT fans would as well after wandering in darkness for a decade.

I read the article. This is simple. More testing would prove it one way or the other. That's what everyone wants. More testing, faster. A test to see if you've had it would also inform this argument.

Interestingly, the researchers also say measures still need to be taken to protect our elderly, those with complicating factors, and hospital resources. Really, it changes nothing in the short-term.
These doctors use some questionable case studies and leaps in logic. For instance, the original study of the Italian city (where the first Italian death was and had been spreading for who knows how long) said 50-70% were asymptomatic. They take that city (which was basically a petri dish with 0 measures being taken), extrapolate its "prevalence" to an entire region and compare that rate to its reported numbers (ignoring sympto vs asympto and who would have been tested), and voila - say that actual numbers are 130(!) times higher than reported. Uhh what?

Doctors are doctors, doesn't make them researchers or statisticians.

Most would figure the true cases to be significantly higher than what we know. Maybe it's double, triple, quadruple, even up to 10x. But 130x is pretty farfetched, especially when arrived at using voodoo logic.

Last edited:
Perhaps. But you have to remember that a lot are getting sick at the same time with Covid-19. Flu cases are spread out, plus people can have some immunity to the flu, vaccines for protection, and antivirals for treatment. As far as the percentage of deaths per cases, it will be a while before we know the true scope.

The Spanish Flu killed as many as 3% of Americans who contracted it. One difference is it targeted younger people. Some theories are that older generations had some immunity to that strain from previous flu seasons.

As Dr. Scott Morris, who founded the Church Health Center in Memphis, said yesterday, “Flu symptoms come on in two days, you feel sick, and go home for a day or two. This virus can stay in you for a week with little to no symptoms while you interact with a number of people. It’s not the flu.”

As a break from the virus talk, might as well enjoy a 'fans meltdown on social media' greatest hits compilation. It includes UT during the DD-era, along with Teas, Auburn, and FSU. Some of our comments could be in there.

"Poole is out. Does this mean we go from -29 rushing yards to -59? Big loss."

"I'm glad my whore ex wife got the tickets in the divorce."

NSFW: "It’s Meltdown Time!" Greatest Hits, Volume One

I have to say though that the Longhorn fans' rants are on another level. Those guys have this meltdown thing really fine-tuned. You would think UT fans would as well after wandering in darkness for a decade.
I doubt most of what UT fans have said is able to be printed.

From a longtime poster on VQ...

All,

I do not want to make this political but wanted to share (briefly) my experiences treating patients with Covid-19. As you may or may not know, I’m a physician working mainly at 3 hospitals in the Bay Area as an ICU doc.

1) We aren’t as inundated as NYC but are seeing an uptick of Covid related hospitalizations.
2) I have taken care of several patients with Covid (20 or so).
3) I have taken care of hundreds/thousands of people with the Flu.
4) I could usually tell who would die from flu related complications or develop severe illness. Usually this would be dialysis/severe obstructive lung disease (COPD), immunocompromised etc/CHF.
5) At the main hospital I’ve been working at, we currently have 6-7 covid ICU patients, 5 of whom are intubated (life support). A few of these are younger (40’s) without KNOWN underlying medical problems.
6) We have several patients on the regular medical floors that are younger with viral pneumonia/pleural effusions. This is something I would rarely, if ever, see with influenza.
7) I have 2 colleagues (MDs) that required hospitalization for Covid, younger guys (40’s).
8) we are giving azithromycin+hydroxychloroquine to patients on 02/viral PNA. I haven’t seen an amazing response to these. Any benefit at this point is anecdotal, hard to tell if the ones that are stable/improving would’ve improved by themselves or if it’s the meds. We seek remdisivir from Gilead for compassionate cases for the intubated patients in the ICU. As well as perform prone ventilation and ecmo.
9) we need randomized controlled trials before we know for sure about these meds.
10) the RN’s, MDs, all staff are having to use the same mask all shift (they weren’t designed for that). Puts us at extremely high risk for contacting the virus.
11) If we get more volume of Covid (as we expect), we will not be able to effectively treat patients that would otherwise do well with supplemental 02 etc.
12) Keep social isolation, shelter in place, whatever you want to call it as long as possible to give us a fighting chance.
13) It’s very difficult coming home to a wife and 4 young kids not knowing if I am the reason why they may become sick. I wipe down my badge, throw my clothes in a bag, and wash my hands as nauseam but am pretty sure I will catch this virus soon as all it can literally take is me touching an infected keyboard and then my face. It is very disconcerting.

I’m not a politician, I understand the huge economic ramifications, but we are not out of the woods and will not be for several more weeks. I’m going on more than 24 hours of no sleep so please excuse any errors above.

@Nash_Vol97 Did they ever make a call where your wife works? We are still coming to the office, but I'm really uncomfortable with it because my wife has asthma and my son is very susceptible to catching viruses (for example, even though he gets a flu shot, he gets the flu almost every year...he was born 6-weeks premature...not sure if that has anything to do with it or not). Anyway, I'm curious to know how other healthcare facilities are handling non-clinical workers.

She’s been working from home since the beginning of last week, as well as most of her co-workers. It’s not like that in every department though. An email was sent out that it was up to department heads and I’m not sure what the numbers are of people that were able to go home or not.

I hope you get to go home soon if you’re uncomfortable. My wife has a suppressed immune system and I was uncomfortable with her being there as well. It was a relief when she started working from home.

I’m thinking,

“I’m not gonna let this keep me from partying. If I get Coronavirus, I get Coronavirus. Spring break must go on.”
giphy.gif

These doctors use some questionable case studies and leaps in logic. For instance, the original study of the Italian city (where the first Italian death was and had been spreading for who knows how long) said 50-70% were asymptomatic. They take that city (which was basically a petri dish with 0 measures being taken), extrapolate its "prevalence" to an entire region and compare that rate to its reported numbers (ignoring sympto vs asympto and who would have been tested), and voila - say that actual numbers are 130(!) times higher than reported. Uhh what?

Doctors are doctors, doesn't make them researchers or statisticians.

Most would figure the true cases to be significantly higher than what we know. Maybe it's double, triple, quadruple, even up to 10x. But 130x is pretty farfetched, especially when arrived at using voodoo logic.

There are tons of people offering their takes, but it's all based on too little data. We just don't know yet. It's like picking an exacta based on the first names of the jockeys' favorite first cousins.

We do know it kills some amount of people. We do know a portion will need hospitalization and some of those will need ventilators. We know we have finite medical resources.

We do know we can slow the transmission and give our medical folks a chance to stay ahead of it. Generally speaking, do what you can control and keep yourself as healthy as possible.

She’s been working from home since the beginning of last week, as well as most of her co-workers. It’s not like that in every department though. An email was sent out that it was up to department heads and I’m not sure what the numbers are of people that were able to go home or not.

I hope you get to go home soon if you’re uncomfortable. My wife has a suppressed immune system and I was uncomfortable with her being there as well. It was a relief when she started working from home.
Yeah, I think I'm going to have to make a very tough decision. I can do 95% or more of my work from home, but my organization's stance is that no one is considered non-essential and that it's not fair for some to be able to work from home when there are others who don't have that ability. I think I'm going to have to resign.

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to make a very tough decision. I can do 95% or more of my work from home, but my organization's stance is that no one is considered non-essential and that it's not fair for some to be able to work from home when there are others who don't have that ability. I think I'm going to have to resign.

That's a pretty dumb stance to have. It's better for everyone, including those who can't work at home, to limit the amount of people around each other.

If your leadership is that dumb, might be a sign to start looking regardless of the virus.

Gotta take care of yourself, but if unemployment goes way up, jobs may be hard to come by for a while. Sooner or later, we'll all bump into this virus. Easy or hard remains to be seen, but it likely isn't going away.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
That's a pretty dumb stance to have. It's better for everyone, including those who can't work at home, to limit the amount of people around each other.

If your leadership is that dumb, might be a sign to start looking regardless of the virus.
I have to agree. That policy is beyond stupid.

I’m thinking,

“I’m not gonna let this keep me from partying. If I get Coronavirus, I get Coronavirus. Spring break must go on.”

The social media guy who apparently became twitter famous for going into groceries and opening ice cream containers and licking the ice cream, was back in action recently licking public toilets to show the world how unafraid he is of the virus, and is now in the hospital with coronavirus.

You had to see this coming.

Well, this wasn't suppose to happen

The social media guy who apparently became twitter famous for going into groceries and opening ice cream containers and licking the ice cream, was back in action recently licking public toilets to show the world how unafraid he is of the virus, and is now in the hospital with coronavirus.

Fake news. COVID doesn't hospitalize young people.

You hate to see it

Reason number 9417 as to why Alabama sucks...

I want to get a patient tested. I have to go to the Alabama Department of Health website and fill out this long freaking survey only for them to determine if they want to test the patient. Very time consuming after I have spent a ton of time with this patient asking all the appropriate questions. Someone has to review the information and will email me (who knows how long this takes). If approved for testing, I then have to get all these documents from the patient’s chart and send to this testing center.

Compare to Tennessee: Patient call 800 number and speak with live representative. Asks questions and if needs testing provides patient with appropriate testing center. Done in 10 minutes.

I’d hate to see it come to that. Wife’s work actually said almost the same exact thing but finally gave in and said it was up to the departments. Hopefully yours will eventually do the same.

Reason number 9417 as to why Alabama sucks...

I want to get a patient tested. I have to go to the Alabama Department of Health website and fill out this long freaking survey only for them to determine if they want to test the patient. Very time consuming after I have spent a ton of time with this patient asking all the appropriate questions. Someone has to review the information and will email me (who knows how long this takes). If approved for testing, I then have to get all these documents from the patient’s chart and send to this testing center.

Compare to Tennessee: Patient call 800 number and speak with live representative. Asks questions and if needs testing provides patient with appropriate testing center. Done in 10 minutes.
Where in Alabama are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back