Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm seeing all these car ads with zero payments for x months and zero APR for y months. The cynic in me is saying, "how long until we see a spike in the default rate on car loans?" Weird times.
That's only if you pay full price on a higher level trim though

The time to have argued about disease prevalence/fatality rate was with a massive testing campaign involving every traveler with an origin in China back in January. We were actively steered away from that by the executive branch decisions.

Yes, I'm sure Trump closing the border or initiating a massive testing campaign of people arriving in the U.S. from China while impeachment proceedings were ongoing and media outlets were downplaying the threat of coronavirus would have gone swimmingly for him.

The social media guy who apparently became twitter famous for going into groceries and opening ice cream containers and licking the ice cream, was back in action recently licking public toilets to show the world how unafraid he is of the virus, and is now in the hospital with coronavirus.

You had to see this coming.

Well, this wasn't suppose to happen
saw an article a couple days ago about a KY kid that was interviewed while on spring break in FL talking about how he wasn't scared...

he got it too and is in the hospital....

craziness.

i went to the liquor store today, a) it's finally not freaking raining...and b) i just needed to get out of the house for a minute....but they were open and had an usher at the front door....everybody lined up outside, doing the social distancing thing...and the usher would ask you what you wanted, he'd tell someone inside, and they're pulling orders for you and bringing them to the cashier.

pretty awesome.

but...as i'm standing in line, dude that gets in line behind me is not only too close for current social distancing standards....it was borderline invasion of personal space under normal conditions....kept wanting to talk etc...

i just moved to my right in the grass....and the freaking guy stepped up agian......................i was like "have you not seen the news?"

lol.

saw an article a couple days ago about a KY kid that was interviewed while on spring break in FL talking about how he wasn't scared...

craziness.

i went to the liquor store today, a) it's finally not freaking raining...and b) i just needed to get out of the house for a minute....but they were open and had an usher at the front door....everybody lined up outside, doing the social distancing thing...and the usher would ask you what you wanted, he'd tell someone inside, and they're pulling orders for you and bringing them to the cashier.

pretty awesome.

but...as i'm standing in line, dude that gets in line behind me is not only too close for current social distancing standards....it was borderline invasion of personal space under normal conditions....kept wanting to talk etc...

i just moved to my right in the grass....and the freaking guy stepped up agian......................i was like "have you not seen the news?"

lol.
1585171078750.jpeg

My physical endurance is about to be pushed to the limit... With a Harry Potter marathon
I had never watched a Harry Potter episode from the very start and then last year one of the networks ran a marathon and I recorded them in sequence. I kinda got hooked after the first one and it helped to watch them in sequence. I actually liked them and watched them all over a weekend. I'm over it now though :):)

craziness.

pretty awesome.

lol.

LOL. I know. Monday, when I logged off work at home, I drove out to Edwin Warner Park and saw a group of middle-aged adults all sitting together under one of the outdoor pavilions and was thinking have these idiots not been watching the news. I drove down and parked by another pavilion where no one was at, and walked along the Little Harpeth River for a bit, just wanting some fresh air. I get back to my truck and sit on the bench under the pavilion and after a few minutes another car pulls up and a young couple gets out and starts towards the pavilion where I am at, and I am thinking does no one in Nashville have any sense at all about what is going on? As they came into the pavilion I stepped out the other side, got in my truck and left.

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to make a very tough decision. I can do 95% or more of my work from home, but my organization's stance is that no one is considered non-essential and that it's not fair for some to be able to work from home when there are others who don't have that ability. I think I'm going to have to resign.
Your issue is exactly the same one that my wife has. She works for a company that has been designated as essential and she has to go to work every day. Believe it or not, some of the people in her office don't have internet access at home so everyone has to come to the office. I thought everyone had internet access. That's just nuts.

I received this article this morning from a relative, asking my opinion. Here's my lightly edited reply:

The word that springs to mind here is pedantic.

Are they right - of course. Does anything they are saying have relevance to the real world or any hope of being tested in real time beyond their armchair extrapolations - no. Everyone knows that the denominator is likely much larger than recognized, as test-proven cases are only a small fraction of total cases (though I strongly doubt that their extrapolations have any relation to reality). Add to that the fact that we have barely done any testing (a couple hundred thousand in a nation of 330+M). We have absolutely no idea. Add to that that the tests are proving to be only about 70% sensitive, and even among people with proven disease, can be positive one day, negative the next, and then positive again the following day.

That allows an enterprising tenure-track professor to get in a contrarian view article to the WSJ and likely a journal article. The added benefit is that they are guaranteed to be proved right with post-hoc antibody testing in a year or two. The risk is that this is a specious argument, being delivered directly to a group of people (WSJ readers) who have a vested interest in believing it to be true.

The time to have argued about disease prevalence/fatality rate was with a massive testing campaign involving every traveler with an origin in China back in January. We were actively steered away from that by the executive branch decisions. At this point, it doesn’t matter. The problem at hand is that we are in a far, far different situation than SK or Italy. The South Koreans had a well-circumscribed religious group to track down and a couple other clusters that were easily isolated after a large, well-organized testing campaign and lockdown. The Italians had an outbreak largely concentrated in one region. If you look at the Johns Hopkins website, by the size of the circles, you can pick out major international arrival airports, regional airports, and you are starting to see the interstate highway network to some degree in more rural areas. The cat is so far out of the bag that it has wandered off and is somewhere in the next county by now. Add to that the delayed, disorganized and ineffectual federal response that we’ve seen, and continue to see, and you have a recipe for something that won’t be over soon.

The argument that we should consider reducing current infection control measures at this point due to economic or mental health or inconvenience reasons or because nobody has any idea of the true fatality rate is flatly dangerous at this point. But, it ties in nicely with current messaging out of the White House.

If you don’t mind, what do you do for a living

Your issue is exactly the same one that my wife has. She works for a company that has been designated as essential and she has to go to work every day. Believe it or not, some of the people in her office don't have internet access at home so everyone has to come to the office. I thought everyone had internet access. That's just nuts.
i call on clients with aol hosted email domains.

personally, i lived through years of 0 internet connectivity. The irony is seething. i yearn for those days.

Reactions: Devo182
My poop don't stink

giphy.gif

Same here, I’ve got to have a roof within in the next year or so. Was planning on doing it this spring, but have been hesitate since this Coronavirus. How much money are we expected to get? Last I heard it got shot down.
Latest hangup is dispute over the increased unemployment benefits. 4 Republican Senators. They should cave and let this happen imo.

Same here, I’ve got to have a roof within in the next year or so. Was planning on doing it this spring, but have been hesitate since this Coronavirus. How much money are we expected to get? Last I heard it got shot down.
my douchebag neighbor (pretty sure he was a made guy), claimed hail damage to his roof.
i bet he nagged the **** out of those people. but he got a new roof.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
my douchebag neighbor (pretty sure he was a made guy), claimed hail damage to his roof.
i bet he nagged the **** out of those people. but he got a new roof.
Yea there’s all kinds out there. As much as I dislike paying my huge premiums every year I cannot in good conscience do that. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back