Realistically, do you believe there will be a 2020 season?

Will there be a 2020 college football season?

• Total voters
Even if the mortality rate is 1 percent, that’s still 10 times more deadly than the seasonal flu
We have an immunization program for seasonal flu that drives down the mortality through direct immunity and herd immunity. We will get through the initial bimodal or trimodal run through the population much like the 1918 pandemic. It will be ugly. Vaccines will be fast tracked to prevent this event and I would suspect in 2 years the mortality will be similar to seasonal flu.

In my mind, they would have to return by May to even consider having a 2020 college football season. Even that is putting a lot of teams behind. Consider Miss State and Ole Miss for example. 2 new coaching staffs. No way they’re ready to go by August if all they have is June and July to prepare. Does anyone know the actual number of teams with new staffs leading into 2020?

I personally don’t believe we’ll have a college football season in 2020. Hard to imagine, but I just don’t see it.

Thoughts?
Nope and it's a real bummer. Hopefully it's just one year though. I remember when the World Series was cancelled due to a player's strike. The NCAA Tournament being cancelled was a real bummer for me too. I think eventually things will be back to normal but it may take a while. On a positive note, players will have an extra year to heal from their injuries.

Just my speculation but I think there will be a college football season with some restrictions. Attendance could be restricted, number of games could be reduced, game time shortened. There may also be restrictions on pre and post game gatherings near the stadiums. Until an effective vaccine is available for everyone, I think it’s going to be a different world for sports.

Reactions: Smellvin
I believe we will have a season, but with restrictions such as no tailgating in large numbers, screenings going into the stadiums, additional controls around restroom and concession use, etc.

Basically, it will take about 2 hours to get into a stadium and get seated.

Reactions: Smellvin
Just because we "open back up" doesn't mean that a football season would take place. As we do start to open back up, whether that starts next week or sometime later, it'll be phased in and there will still probably be some restrictions for a while. Restaurants allowed to open but max capacity of 25, etc.

At this point, I'm leaning towards there being no football at all in 2020, or perhaps games being played behind closed doors. Given that many areas have essentially locked down right now, I can't imagine they'll allow 100k+ people to gather together in just 6 months time. Games behind closed doors would be much better than nothing though, although it'd be so weird watching college football (and all sports) on TV with no crowd.
Disagree, i think life will be back to normal very soon whether it should be or not, as a country we cant put so many people out of work, when very little of the country is affected and it has to be that way, every day plants are shut down and farmers arent growing food, if we dont get back to normal soon there will be a new normal and we wont like it.

Reactions: IndyVol46
We have an immunization program for seasonal flu that drives down the mortality through direct immunity and herd immunity. We will get through the initial bimodal or trimodal run through the population much like the 1918 pandemic. It will be ugly. Vaccines will be fast tracked to prevent this event and I would suspect in 2 years the mortality will be similar to seasonal flu.

You have no clue. You are comparing this to Spanish Flu of 2018???? We had primitive medicine to the point that one of the treatments was leeches!
No vaccine needed for this virus...heard immunity. Ultimately, the number will be equivalent to the flu. Very elderly or those with many comorbidities are at grave risk; every one else will be asymptomatic to mild cold symptoms. H1N1 of 2009 ultimately had ~22M Americans infected w 4000 deaths. Don't remember closing anything for that.? Millions around the world died with the Spanish Flu.....you need to read your history.

Our experts are closely following and analyzing updates on this COVID-19 outbreak. The degree of ignorance here in this thread is massive. The reference link is to the Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health,the top rated school of PH in the US, and a world recognized source for accurate data. Folks, 38 years ago I took an oath to protect and care for each and everyone of you, but I and my colleagues can't cure ignorance, stupidity, OR the COVID-19. Find the truth, not your opinion based on the latest media item. Be wary and be prepared. I was and am but still turned positive for the virus today. Not one of us can predict where this pandemic is headed but prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Sorry for the rant and the length, but stupid and Medicine do not mix well.
Hope you have a mild case and a speedy recovery. I travelled back from a tropical vacation three days ago I have felt sick for about 24 hrs but no fever or cough. Lots of anxiety going around.

Reactions: EZE
In my mind, they would have to return by May to even consider having a 2020 college football season. Even that is putting a lot of teams behind. Consider Miss State and Ole Miss for example. 2 new coaching staffs. No way they’re ready to go by August if all they have is June and July to prepare. Does anyone know the actual number of teams with new staffs leading into 2020?

I personally don’t believe we’ll have a college football season in 2020. Hard to imagine, but I just don’t see it.

Thoughts?

Nobody made Ole Miss or State fire their coaches. And since when is everything fair? Teams get bowl practices and others don’t.

I expect NCAA will allow 10 extra practices or so in summer if there’s no spring practices. Too much money involved to can the season, tank the economy, etc.

There will be a move to return to normalcy soon. This 6-8 month crap is crazy. Hell, they’ve gone back to work in China now.

Thank you for all three,Badger. Fortunately, I and two of my colleagues are weathering well even though I'm 68 but we are all three out of the fight for at least another week per CDC guidelines (which will change shortly to allow us to work with the infection a la Italy.) God's love is always constant.Keep the faith,protect yourself and your family, and listen to the CDC and Richard Fauci MD who is speaking the truth as best as scientific and experienced minds can know at this time. By the way, the badger is my favorite animal .Are you linked to UW?

I’m from Wisconsin right now and a Vol fan almost completely alone ;)

Reactions: mercuryvol
Hope you have a mild case and a speedy recovery. I travelled back from a tropical vacation three days ago I have felt sick for about 24 hrs but no fever or cough. Lots of anxiety going around.
Thanks for your wishes. I'm doing fine so far with only a mild , nonproductive cough and the febrile stage has passed. However now both of my nurses are sick and will be tested tomorrow. The symptoms are primarily a dry cough and a fever of >100.4. I'm fortunate but many on here will use my case as evidence that there is "nuttin' to this-look at the flu"

Thanks for posting, and I hope and pray you recover quickly.
What would you think of this idea?
Deliberately expose and quarantine large numbers of very low risk people for 2 or 3 weeks. Compensate them for their time and risk. Then send them back to work, helping at hospitals and doing other jobs like preparing and delivering meals. We have almost empty hotels that can be used for this purpose. We need to quickly boost community immunity and put people back to work.
Practically, this is already at work since a significant portion of young adults are not isolating so you will see a degree of herd immunity develop, along with an increase in morbidity. Remember at the end of last week~ 65% of those hospitalised were under 65yo. Thank you for your prayers-keep praying for our people.

Hey NoAl, are you a UAB MD grad? Thanks for your input.

There will absolutely be a 2020 football season. The fact that we’ve shut down a nation of 330mm people due to a mild virus with a US death rate of 0.45% is utterly ridiculous.....1175 hospitalizations and 600 deaths as of today....compare that to 60 million US swine flu infections and 12,700 deaths in 2009. So yeah, we’ll open up the vast majority of the country by mid to late April and we’ll definitely see the Vols play this fall.

In reality, this like most viruses should die down in the summer. There is a good chance of a therapy by the fall. There is an outside chance considering the amount of resources being thrown at it that there will be a vaccine.

We will also know the effectiveness of the British means of dealing with this. They are isolating high risk people but otherwise allowing the virus to run its course. They want "herd immunity" as fast as possible. We may decide to follow them.
I vote we do this

Reactions: IndyVol46
You have no clue. You are comparing this to Spanish Flu of 2018???? We had primitive medicine to the point that one of the treatments was leeches!
No vaccine needed for this virus...heard immunity. Ultimately, the number will be equivalent to the flu. Very elderly or those with many comorbidities are at grave risk; every one else will be asymptomatic to mild cold symptoms. H1N1 of 2009 ultimately had ~22M Americans infected w 4000 deaths. Don't remember closing anything for that.? Millions around the world died with the Spanish Flu.....you need to read your history.
First off it’s “herd” not “heard”

Secondly I feel my MD degree and 15 years of practice give me “a clue”. I’m not comparing the death rate between the 2 I’m comparing how any viral respiratory disease moves through a population. Yes you’ll need a vaccine because going forward because this particular strain elicits a strong cytokine storm in some patients that causes respiratory failure. It’s unpredictable and can occur in anyone. Yes older patients are more vulnerable because of pre existing conditions but we’ve also seen deaths in the under 50 cohort in this country

Here's what I wish would happen:

We have a 13 game SEC schedule, where it's laid out like this for us:

Sep. 5 - UK
Sep. 12 - Vandy
Sep. 19 - Georgia
Sep. 26 - South Carolina
Oct. 3 - Alabama
Oct. 10 - Auburn
Oct. 17 - Mississippi State
Oct. 24 - BYE
Oct. 31 - Ole Miss
Nov. 7 - Florida
Nov. 14 - Missouri
Nov. 21 - LSU
Nov. 28 - Arkansas
Dec. 5 - Texas A&M

The reason for this order, is that is the geographical order of closeness in schools. That way, when we (and our fans) do travel for games, we are staying as "close to home" as possible at first, and then traveling greater distances as the year goes on.

Personally, this is the kind of schedule I want every year, a 13 game SEC schedule. No need for a championship game. Everyone gets a shot at everyone, alternate home and away every year (that way everyone gets to play everywhere twice in 4 years), and your SEC champ comes out of that, and goes to a play off.

I'm sure that's a logistical impossibility, but I don't see why it couldn't happen. Get 6 conferences of 14 teams, let them all do a 13 game schedule, and the champions make the playoffs, and then the other teams are seeded.

JMO. At least this way, we keep the COVID-19 spread minimal in the early part of the year, and we still have football.

I woke up Monday not feeling well. Called in sick for the first time in years. By that afternoon, I was feeling right as rain. Called my director to tell her I would be in Tuesday. Nope. I was told I had to be tested before returning to work ( I am a home health Physical Therapist). Went to the local hospital to be tested and was turned down. The doc said it would be a waste to use a test kit because he was sure it was not the Wuhan Virus. Back to work today but am wearing a mask to protect my patients (just in case). Everyone stay healthy and stay up with the CDC updates. I think the football season will be altered in some way but games will be played.

VN Store

Back