Realistically, do you believe there will be a 2020 season?

Will there be a 2020 college football season?

• Total voters
Have you ever watched our team play with 8 MONTHS of preparation? Check out the (I legit can’t remember the name of the team) 2019 season opener.
The NCAA won’t make a decision based on whether the Vols (or anyone else) is likely to suck on opening day. They can easily play a game with a couple of months to prepare.

In reality, this like most viruses should die down in the summer. There is a good chance of a therapy by the fall. There is an outside chance considering the amount of resources being thrown at it that there will be a vaccine.

We will also know the effectiveness of the British means of dealing with this. They are isolating high risk people but otherwise allowing the virus to run its course. They want "herd immunity" as fast as possible. We may decide to follow them.
They have backed away from that stance now

Sorry but afraid you're behind on this. The Brits have completely changed their position. They are on the verge of a complete lockdown. It was a British epidemiological study released last Sunday that changed our administration's plans when it predicted that if England didn't change course they would have 250,000 deaths with the total collapse of their health care system and we would have 1 million dead. That is why the President completely changed course this past Monday.
You are correct that the Brits backed off of that stance. However i have issues with that study due to the fact it isnt killing anyone who doesnt have at risk factors. If those who are at risk take precautions...how is that gonna equal 1million deaths?

You are correct that the Brits backed off of that stance. However i have issues with that study due to the fact it isnt killing anyone who doesnt have at risk factors. If those who are at risk take precautions...how is that gonna equal 1million deaths?
Opportunity to free up some of those good Neyland seats, imo.

(I kid, I kid)

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
The money made by college football is a drop in the bucket compared to money going down the drain in various ways right now. If it is canceled, the ADs likely won't have a say in the matter.

That said, it's 50/50. I could see a scenario where the season starts, but a second wave of the virus comes with the Fall and we are right back here. Obviously, really hoping that doesn't happen.
As soon as Phil Fulmer announces that Tennessee football will play in the fall the stock market will go up 5,000 points

Our experts are closely following and analyzing updates on this COVID-19 outbreak. The degree of ignorance here in this thread is massive. The reference link is to the Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health,the top rated school of PH in the US, and a world recognized source for accurate data. Folks, 38 years ago I took an oath to protect and care for each and everyone of you, but I and my colleagues can't cure ignorance, stupidity, OR the COVID-19. Find the truth, not your opinion based on the latest media item. Be wary and be prepared. I was and am but still turned positive for the virus today. Not one of us can predict where this pandemic is headed but prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Sorry for the rant and the length, but stupid and Medicine do not mix well.

Our experts are closely following and analyzing updates on this COVID-19 outbreak. The degree of ignorance here in this thread is massive. The reference link is to the Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health,the top rated school of PH in the US, and a world recognized source for accurate data. Folks, 38 years ago I took an oath to protect and care for each and everyone of you, but I and my colleagues can't cure ignorance, stupidity, OR the COVID-19. Find the truth, not your opinion based on the latest media item. Be wary and be prepared. I was and am but still turned positive for the virus today. Not one of us can predict where this pandemic is headed but prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Sorry for the rant and the length, but stupid and Medicine do not mix well.

1.) I wish you well. Will pray for you after posting.

2.) Thanks for your work. It is truly appreciated.

3.) Thanks for taking the time to post.

1.) I wish you well. Will pray for you after posting.

2.) Thanks for your work. It is truly appreciated.

3.) Thanks for taking the time to post.
Thank you for all three,Badger. Fortunately, I and two of my colleagues are weathering well even though I'm 68 but we are all three out of the fight for at least another week per CDC guidelines (which will change shortly to allow us to work with the infection a la Italy.) God's love is always constant.Keep the faith,protect yourself and your family, and listen to the CDC and Richard Fauci MD who is speaking the truth as best as scientific and experienced minds can know at this time. By the way, the badger is my favorite animal .Are you linked to UW?

Yes we will have football by the fall. If Americans are kept to their houses through April and into May, people will start rioting and rebelling. The government will back down. We the people....

Right. I think we'll have football season for just that reason. If we're still fighting this by mid-summer there will need to be a distraction. I think we'll need football, and the government will need us to have it. Kinda like why the Romans had the gladiators, keep the people distracted and happy.

Reactions: spyfish007
Yes, I do think there's football play this fall. After listening to Trump's speech on Corona, yesterday evening. The important thing is mortality rate/control. Assuming meds work for treatment...we'll see the economy open back up quickly. What's quickly, he did not say.

Regardless of vaccine, if treatment works, that's something to notice. Over the course of the remainder of the week, into the weekend, they will accumulate all the date points, do analysis....Monday will be a pretty important day in regards to how quickly the economy is booted back up.

Last edited:

Unlike several commentators I am not an epidemiologist, I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. So I'm not in a position to tell you exactly how they made their determinations. But I have seen the summaries of the conclusions of the report and those were the numbers based upon the herd immunity pathway that Boris Johnson and Trump were initially considering, i.e. let the virus run its course and build natural immunity over time. That is why both changed their positions with Johnson going the furtherest by ordering shelter in place late yesterday.

Not the point I was making.

Maybe I should have called it herd mentality or even lemmings.... In either case, pointing out that the statistics currently do not line up with the panic or reaction... gets you labeled a "heretic" in this current age when apocalyptic preachers of doom are called "the experts".

Now you have it right!!! HERD MENTALITY!! Lemming action is the best visual thought possible for the way society is acting!!!

Reactions: sjt18
I was preparing for the worst a couple days ago(as far as football season goes), all the talk was shut down, stay in place, work from home and we may be in this till August, but yesterday you could hear the change in attitude from Trump, we are going to open back up again and soon, this appears to be a virus that is mainly affecting people 80 and older, and they cannot justify the closing of businesses, schools, and loss of jobs due to this shut down when so few people are adversely affected by the virus even when they have it. Social distancing, work from home, and some things may continue for a while but were about to open back up starting next week unless no new and disastrous data comes along, I believe now there will be a football season.

I was preparing for the worst a couple days ago(as far as football season goes), all the talk was shut down, stay in place, work from home and we may be in this till August, but yesterday you could hear the change in attitude from Trump, we are going to open back up again and soon, this appears to be a virus that is mainly affecting people 80 and older, and they cannot justify the closing of businesses, schools, and loss of jobs due to this shut down when so few people are adversely affected by the virus even when they have it. Social distancing, work from home, and some things may continue for a while but were about to open back up starting next week unless no new and disastrous data comes along, I believe now there will be a football season.
Just because we "open back up" doesn't mean that a football season would take place. As we do start to open back up, whether that starts next week or sometime later, it'll be phased in and there will still probably be some restrictions for a while. Restaurants allowed to open but max capacity of 25, etc.

At this point, I'm leaning towards there being no football at all in 2020, or perhaps games being played behind closed doors. Given that many areas have essentially locked down right now, I can't imagine they'll allow 100k+ people to gather together in just 6 months time. Games behind closed doors would be much better than nothing though, although it'd be so weird watching college football (and all sports) on TV with no crowd.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
The mortality rate is going to be proven to be lower than earlier estimates. More than likely less than 1 percent. Still some areas are going to be hit harder than others. But there are medicines that are having success and that is expected to continue and only get better over time. I think in the next 2 weeks things are going to be much better overall. I expect by fall most if not all things will be back open. I fully expect a football season, I expect pro baseball will start sometime in May. There will be some adjustments especially in certain areas, but I do believe there will be sports and open venues are many levels by the fall with some limited restrictions maybe in certain areas of the country. More than likely, New York or along the west coast potentially. But even in the hard hit areas as more attention is taken in them areas things will start to get better at quicker rates. I think our Administration is doing a great job under unforeseen circumstances, we will defeat this and America will come back stronger than ever. GBO!!!!!

Thanks for posting, and I hope and pray you recover quickly.
What would you think of this idea?
Deliberately expose and quarantine large numbers of very low risk people for 2 or 3 weeks. Compensate them for their time and risk. Then send them back to work, helping at hospitals and doing other jobs like preparing and delivering meals. We have almost empty hotels that can be used for this purpose. We need to quickly boost community immunity and put people back to work.

The mortality rate is going to be proven to be lower than earlier estimates. More than likely less than 1 percent. Still some areas are going to be hit harder than others. But there are medicines that are having success and that is expected to continue and only get better over time. I think in the next 2 weeks things are going to be much better overall. I expect by fall most if not all things will be back open. I fully expect a football season, I expect pro baseball will start sometime in May. There will be some adjustments especially in certain areas, but I do believe there will be sports and open venues are many levels by the fall with some limited restrictions maybe in certain areas of the country. More than likely, New York or along the west coast potentially. But even in the hard hit areas as more attention is taken in them areas things will start to get better at quicker rates. I think our Administration is doing a great job under unforeseen circumstances, we will defeat this and America will come back stronger than ever. GBO!!!!!

Even if the mortality rate is 1 percent, that’s still 10 times more deadly than the seasonal flu

VN Store

Back