The ‘So Crazy It Just Might Work’ thread

Again - and I know that you know this - experience (and as new players arrive, competition) will go a long way in fixing this problem.

krich, I agree 100%. The next three to four years are going to be exciting times for us Lady Vols fans as we watch the players we have develop and as Kellie brings in players to replace the graduates. I swear, if I could have ANYthing I wanted and were given an opportunity to hand pick a couple of future Lady Vols, I'd definitely get the human equivalent of this little rascal right here:

The speed! The ability to change direction on a dime! The body control! The hops! The stamina!!!!!

But seriously, what any successful team needs these days is at least 2 lightning-quick players. Our bugaboo is that we really don't have anyone whom I'd label as "lightning quick." Burrell is pretty fast, but her strongest point is her high energy. I'd love some true quickness in both the hands and the feet.

Jackrabbits, come on down!!!!

Reactions: krichunaka
Where did I say I haven't seen improvement? I have seen lots. I simply made a statement about players improving their game through experience and self analysis. Example KK, for two years now, continuing to bring the ball down to her waist often resulting in a turnover. At some point it should dawn on her that is not working. A common thread among all great players is how much ownership they took of their own game and the effort they put into honing their craft. As far as your infantile comment about wanting miracles and going to Rome, I'll ignore that and chalk it up to your inability to read with comprehension or bother to read the post I was referencing. You can get help for that.
Someone somewhere before got to college failed KK. Basic knowledge for a 5 is when you rebound, keep the ball high!

What if...

... over the next several days the Lady Vols tried practicing some of that performance visualization I mentioned earlier. Laugh if you want, but it might be a good use of some of Rennia’s time as she eases back into playing form after her bout with flu.

And if I were Rennia, I’d ask my teammates to try it as well.

Remember you asked for crazy...

Jessie Rennie should take Lou Brown's minutes. I respect the heck out of LB but she has known speed issues on defense, is shooting very poorly 41% 2P / 31% 3P, and does not have one single outstanding offensive or defensive statistic.

In contrast, Rennie's stat line is actually kind of impressive. She doesn't turn the ball over, pretty good on steals and assists. The only category that she loses to Brown is in rebounding. She's shooting nearly 50% on three-pointers for the year (47 attempts).

She is shooting this well despite starting the year 2 out of 13 from behind the arc against the cupcakes. So if you remove the first 6 games, ETSU through Pine-Bluff, Jessie Rennie is shooting a blistering 62% from behind the arc!!! I wonder if she hadn't started in such a slump if she wouldn't be playing significantly more minutes.

Potential lineups:

Going "small"
Jaz
Rennie
Horston
Davis
Key

Going "balanced"
Jaz
Rennie
Davis
Rae
Key

Going "crazy" (Spread the floor - Key on the block, Davis running the pick and roll with Rae and movement for Rennie and Horston to get open 3s on kickouts.)
Davis (at PG)
Rennie
Horston
Rae
Key

Reactions: VolBall09
Remember you asked for crazy...

Jessie Rennie should take Lou Brown's minutes. I respect the heck out of LB but she has known speed issues on defense, is shooting very poorly 41% 2P / 31% 3P, and does not have one single outstanding offensive or defensive statistic.

In contrast, Rennie's stat line is actually kind of impressive. She doesn't turn the ball over, pretty good on steals and assists. The only category that she loses to Brown is in rebounding. She's shooting nearly 50% on three-pointers for the year (47 attempts).

She is shooting this well despite starting the year 2 out of 13 from behind the arc against the cupcakes. So if you remove the first 6 games, ETSU through Pine-Bluff, Jessie Rennie is shooting a blistering 62% from behind the arc!!! I wonder if she hadn't started in such a slump if she wouldn't be playing significantly more minutes.

Potential lineups:

Going "small"
Jaz
Rennie
Horston
Davis
Key

Going "balanced"
Jaz
Rennie
Davis
Rae
Key

Going "crazy" (Spread the floor - Key on the block, Davis running the pick and roll with Rae and movement for Rennie and Horston to get open 3s on kickouts.)
Davis (at PG)
Rennie
Horston
Rae
Key

PG - Horston
Rennie
Horston
Rae
Key

With this lineup it give TN more firepower on the offensive end, And will be quicker on the defensive end.

Reactions: 37620VOL
Interesting. Jordan slotted twice. This lineup could easily average 30 t.o.s a game. Also not sure how benching Davis will help nor how using Rennie helps quickness.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcannon1
Interesting. Jordan slotted twice. This lineup could easily average 30 t.o.s a game.

I would not change Horston's minutes from what they are currently. If anything, I'm taking the ball out her hands. Also clearly, these are not the only 3 lineups; they are only three interesting possibilities that could include Rennie.

Edit --- I see the post you are referencing now.

Frozen, like you I really, really hate to throw anyone under the bus, but DANG. And I would also like to see Emily and Jaiden get more minutes — I’ve been wanting that the whole season. I threw the Rae in the post idea mostly to find a way to keep her on the floor longer and to (maybe) reduce her turnover opportunities. I’d love to see a starting lineup, just once, of Rennia, Lou, Jordan, Jaz and Rae. Just once, for sh!ts and giggles. First off the bench? Tamari Key. Just once!
Sugar Rae would be in foul trouble quicker than you could ...........
Yes ....just that quick.

Reactions: Coach Jumper
PG - Horston
Rennie
Horston
Rae
Key

With this lineup it give TN more firepower on the offensive end, And will be quicker on the defensive end.
You got Horston listed twice did you mean Davis or someone else.

PG - Horston
Rennie
Horston
Rae
Key

Assuming you mean Davis and not Horston twice, you better hope this one brings offensive firepower b/c you just benched one of the SEC's leading assist/t.o PGs and gave the ball to one of the league's leading turnover makers. In this lineup, I think I'd rather see Rennie at pg and Jordan at 2.

Just not seeing a line up without Jaz. So values the ball, probably to the detriment of her own scoring stats.

Reactions: VolBall09
crazy? you ain't seen crazy yet.. KH @ pg. KK @ pf, JR@ sg, JMC@ wing and ES @ post.

IOW's start the b team!

It takes more than one to make a party. The celebrants should include all those who stay between opponents and the goal while taking charges.

Game over! Very close and not much of a take a charge party. Plenty to work on and the team can take confidence from their last two game successes.

Last year Rae was in her wheel-house,,,she was what I call a baseline forward...BL drives, cuts, rebounds,,,everything was from the baseline and mostly against non floor-guard defenders so her BH abilites were against BL defenders....This year she is coming from the top, sometimes having to be THE ballhandler

If she gets back to her role, she will shine again even brighter
Spot on-- hope Kelley gets the message

Rae was forced out of her wheel house by Zaay's injury and Horston's underperformance. Don't think it was KJH choice.

I have another idea for a MAJOR performance improvement that could be easily achieved by our team between now and NCAA Tournament time.

Is anyone besides me wishing that the old-school fundamental skill of following one’s shot would make a comeback? It’s so simple, so easy to do, yet hardly anyone does it anymore. I get so darn frustrated watching players shoot and then just stand and watch, never making even the slightest move toward trying to track down a rebound.

Now, I realize that coaches want to make sure players are sprinting back on defense, but DANG! Every game I’ve seen countless missed opportunities for extra offensive possessions as time after time noone is following shots. N O B O D Y even as much as twitches a muscle. Ugh.

This is something that could be easily made into a habit, and greatly helped by coaches/teammates on the sidelines during games. Everyone needs to make it a priority to call out “”FOLLOW!!!!!!” as shots are taken (or something).

All I know is that in the next week some improvements have to be made, and in my opinion, making following shots instead of standing and watching would have to be among the easiest thing they could do in a short time for the biggest return.

Reactions: Ladyvol777
I have another idea for a MAJOR performance improvement that could be easily achieved by our team between now and NCAA Tournament time.

Is anyone besides me wishing that the old-school fundamental skill of following one’s shot would make a comeback? It’s so simple, so easy to do, yet hardly anyone does it anymore. I get so darn frustrated watching players shoot and then just stand and watch, never making even the slightest move toward trying to track down a rebound.

Now, I realize that coaches want to make sure players are sprinting back on defense, but DANG! Every game I’ve seen countless missed opportunities for extra offensive possessions as time after time noone is following shots. N O B O D Y even as much as twitches a muscle. Ugh.

This is something that could be easily made into a habit, and greatly helped by coaches/teammates on the sidelines during games. Everyone needs to make it a priority to call out “”FOLLOW!!!!!!” as shots are taken (or something).

All I know is that in the next week some improvements have to be made, and in my opinion, making following shots instead of standing and watching would have to be among the easiest thing they could do in a short time for the biggest return.

How about an even older school of teaching them to make their shots?

VN Store

Back