The ‘So Crazy It Just Might Work’ thread

lvocd

Okay, I’ll start. I have many ideas for ways to try to get the most out of our players, but I’ll just post one for now. lol

What if...
Rae Burrell were to get some training/minutes at post? I mean, she’s as long as many opponents’ post players. She’s got a terrific nose for rebounding. She can leap. She’s got good hands. She’d probably be terrific with the pick-and-roll. Already being close-in to the basket would certainly cut down on her driving into traffic.

I’d love to see what would happen. Remember how well Sidney Spencer did at that position?

NEXT!

Okay, I’ll start. I have many ideas for ways to try to get the most out of our players, but I’ll just post one for now. lol

What if...
Rae Burrell were to get some training/minutes at post? I mean, she’s as long as many opponents’ post players. She’s got a terrific nose for rebounding. She can leap. She’s got good hands. She’d probably be terrific with the pick-and-roll. Already being close-in to the basket would certainly cut down on her driving into traffic.

I’d love to see what would happen. Remember how well Sidney Spencer did at that position?

NEXT!

So the lineup of Massengill, Horston, Davis, Burrell, and Key or Brown.. I think is the go to line up in case it comes down the the last few seconds. I agree. Let her learn some more post... just don’t keep her there.

What if...

NEXT!
I really would like to see Rae on the floor more so this is very interesting. I do wonder if Rae were on the floor more would she be a little calmer. Maybe she feels pressure to make things happen to keep getting minutes. Only drawback is she doesn't have the weight to bang with big centers.
I’m not much of a tactician, so really out there....Key and Saunders in at same time. Would anyone else get a rebound?

I like that idea, Lucy. I would REALLY have liked to see that last night. I also would have liked for Jaiden to get a shot in that game last night, too. I don’t know why Kellie stuck so stubbornly with the one particularly ineffective post last night when she had two on the bench who might have had a miracle performance in them. We’ll never know, and I hate that.

As for Rae not having the weight to bang with the bigs, she may not have a lot of mass, but she seems pretty strong. That’s why I brought up Spencer. She may have had just a few pounds on Rae, but she was pretty effective in the post when Pat needed someone to step up.

Frozen, like you I really, really hate to throw anyone under the bus, but DANG. And I would also like to see Emily and Jaiden get more minutes — I’ve been wanting that the whole season. I threw the Rae in the post idea mostly to find a way to keep her on the floor longer and to (maybe) reduce her turnover opportunities. I’d love to see a starting lineup, just once, of Rennia, Lou, Jordan, Jaz and Rae. Just once, for sh!ts and giggles. First off the bench? Tamari Key. Just once!

What if...

NEXT!

Last year Rae was in her wheel-house,,,she was what I call a baseline forward...BL drives, cuts, rebounds,,,everything was from the baseline and mostly against non floor-guard defenders so her BH abilites were against BL defenders....This year she is coming from the top, sometimes having to be THE ballhandler

If she gets back to her role, she will shine again even brighter

Last year Rae was in her wheel-house,,,she was what I call a baseline forward...BL drives, cuts, rebounds,,,everything was from the baseline and mostly against non floor-guard defenders so her BH abilites were against BL defenders....This year she is coming from the top, sometimes having to be THE ballhandler

If she gets back to her role, she will shine again even brighter

Yep...

What if...

NEXT!

One difference is that Spencer was SOLID. Rae is more of slighter frame. She does well on the boards by maneuvering around bigger players and beating them to a spot. I think she would get mauled in the post.

I agree with C.J. that her big problem is that she is often the de facto ball handler in the offensive sets and that is not a role she is comfortable with. She picks up her dribble too soon, exposes the ball too much, and those are the situations where she tends to make bad court decisions.

It seems that the staff are wanting her to be the Zaay replacement but that is a forced fit.

Yep...

One difference is that Spencer was SOLID. Rae is more of slighter frame. She does well on the boards by maneuvering around bigger players and beating them to a spot. I think she would get mauled in the post.

I agree with C.J. that her big problem is that she is often the de facto ball handler in the offensive sets and that is not a role she is comfortable with. She picks up her dribble too soon, exposes the ball too much, and those are the situations where she tends to make bad court decisions.

It seems that the staff are wanting her to be the Zaay replacement but that is a forced fit.

You pegged it MT

Coach, you have seen this team and film a 100 times more than me and I have a couple serious questions.
1. Our bigs. How is the footwork and can they shoot any with their left hand?
2. What is Jordan’s natural position? To me she seems like a wing trying to play point guard. In high school, what position did she play? If PG, did she make a lot of assists or did she look to score first? Did she score on 15-18’ jump shots or did she basically drive to the basket?
I know you will answer so thanks in advance.

Reactions: RollerVol

What if...

NEXT!
Always thought she was a better four than Brown because she is probably the best rebounder on the team. I would like to see her shoot more shots around the basket in the paint from an entry pass or where she catches and shoots don't have to create off the dribble. I think she would be far better than KK, Brown, or any post player other than Key who just needs experience to be a great one. Burrell fits the definition of a stretch four that could give teams fits in the paint on the catch and shoot.

Reactions: RollerVol
Coach, you have seen this team and film a 100 times more than me and I have a couple serious questions.
2. What is Jordan’s natural position? To me she seems like a wing trying to play point guard. In high school, what position did she play? If PG, did she make a lot of assists or did she look to score first? Did she score on 15-18’ jump shots or did she basically drive to the basket?

I’m not coach but she played the PG position in high school. She loved to pass the ball even then but I read somewhere her coaches had to make her start taking open shots because she was a team first player. On team USA I think she played that combo guard role because of her size but often ended up leading her team in assists.

Here are a couple clips I realize there highlight clips but they sort of give you a good idea

Here is Jordan’s team va Rickea Jackson of Miss St (both teams were ranked top 5 in the country at that point)

Here is a cool documentary on her to give you a little more insight into Jordan

On bigs, i grade footwork by their initial positioning and in creating a scoring opportunity when they get the ball.
Key is young but her footwork is right on par,,,it will get better, but it is good right now
KK's footwork on getting positioning is excellent, but her ability to create using footwork once she receives it is lacking
Emily's waits too late to begin her footwork, most of her baskets come from opportunistic feeds

I have seen no ambidextrous players

Jordan is a true small forward. She can shoot the ball from anywhere,, she can create her shot off the dribble,,She can lead or finish on a fast break,, her decision making is good but not good enough (yet) to be a point guard. va is right, she is a combo guard

Last edited:
I’m not coach but she played the PG position in high school. She loved to pass the ball even then but I read somewhere her coaches had to make her start taking open shots because she was a team first player. On team USA I think she played that combo guard role because of her size but often ended up leading her team in assists.

Here are a couple clips I realize there highlight clips but they sort of give you a good idea/
I’d never seen these, so thanks for posting them, Va-Volfan. We sure are fortunate to have Jordan in Knoxville. If she stays healthy and keeps progressing in the right direction, by the time she’s a junior there’ll be nobody in the country that’ll be able to figure out how to keep her from having a huge impact on every game she plays in.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
Yep...

But what if Rae DIDN’T get mauled at post? I think she’s stronger than she looks, and she finishes well with contact. What if she could effectively maneuver her way around bigger players to score as well as rebound? You can never really know until you try something. Plus, not all opponents have bruisers at post, either.

And I agree that she’s not a suitable replacement for Zaay.

Reactions: volmanNC
Rae could've posted against UConn if we had decided to use the double post which we are not using at all this year. I would really love for her to get some opportunities inside without having to drive the ball. Most of her turnovers are when she puts her head down and either charges or dribbles into traffic. I think she would do much better getting an entry pass even at the eight or ten foot mark and making her move from there. The defense does not have as much time to compensate whereas on her drives 20 feet they do. Our players need to learn you don't have to get all the way to the basket to score the eight footer is a great shot.

Rae is plenty tough enough to play inside. If Bonner the stick could do it at Auburn, Rae being able to is a no brainer. Just look at how many rebounds she gets. I like the idea. Try it a few plays and see how it goes. It's not like it has to be permanent move.

Reactions: lvocd
Rae could've posted against UConn if we had decided to use the double post which we are not using at all this year. I would really love for her to get some opportunities inside without having to drive the ball. Most of her turnovers are when she puts her head down and either charges or dribbles into traffic. I think she would do much better getting an entry pass even at the eight or ten foot mark and making her move from there. The defense does not have as much time to compensate whereas on her drives 20 feet they do. Our players need to learn you don't have to get all the way to the basket to score the eight footer is a great shot.

Volfan it drives me nuts how our girls just drive into traffic and lose the dang ball....Often they are wide open for the pull up 8-10 footer, but "no" into trouble they go.....Where's the coaching?

And yes, we have to have someone that can jump......We have the most lead footed team I've ever seen.

Reactions: Prophet1
Volfan it drives me nuts how our girls just drive into traffic and lose the dang ball....Often they are wide open for the pull up 8-10 footer, but "no" into trouble they go.....Where's the coaching?
Overpassing is one of the huge problems that has not been corrected don't know why seems a coaching failure how else can one explain it.

Does anyone else have any other “crazy but might just work” ideas? It doesn’t have to be anything that becomes the new-normal for the team — just something you think might be intriguing enough to try even once. Have some fun with it! :D

VN Store

Back