The ‘So Crazy It Just Might Work’ thread

VolBall09

From what I've seen, the high post is open for the quick shot a lot of the time. All three of those players can exploit that. During warm-ups, the posts shoot quite a bit from 15 feet and make most of them.
Suárez in particular should be getting more 10ft jumpers from that pinch post/high post area. She catches the ball there a lot but not in a position to score. We have been using the high post against the zone more and it is helping to make the defense shift.

Last edited:

FrozenLVFan

As the season goes on, I hope the staff does make time to put in at least a couple of those plays. If I were a coach I’d have at least three totally surprising plays designed to run ONLY in postseason and ONLY in an end-game situation where my team desperately needs two points to tie or win. They would be plays we practiced for a few minutes every day so that they become instinctual, but never used in a game until that emergency situation to keep it from being scouted/anticipated/planned for. My “emergency surprise plays” would most definitely involve using some combinations of guards and wings in the post.
It's pretty hard to keep plays a secret when other coaches are printing up their versions of our playbook and then we post it on this forum.

The 2020 Tennessee Lady Vols

Can we make it any easier for other teams to scout us?

VolBall09

It's pretty hard to keep plays a secret when other coaches are printing up their versions of our playbook and then we post it on this forum.

The 2020 Tennessee Lady Vols

Can we make it any easier for other teams to scout us?
I didn’t appreciate that either. Some weirdo HS coach. Thanks dude. I’m sure the coaching staff wouldn’t like that much either. I know game film is available from opposing teams and they obviously have the basketball kind to suss out the plays, but there is no reason print our playbook for everyone to see.

LadyVols_WBK

I didn’t appreciate that either. Some weirdo HS coach. Thanks dude. I’m sure the coaching staff wouldn’t like that much either. I know game film is available from opposing teams and they obviously have the basketball kind to suss out the plays, but there is no reason print our playbook for everyone to see.
to be fair he does it for every major WBB Team😂

FrozenLVFan

Yes, other teams watch game film and take notes, but that's time consuming. So this playbook business saves them time. Then KJH and staff have to make up some new plays, not so much the live ball plays, but inbounding (which hasn't been one of our strong points for a while) and situational plays, and the team has to practice them. And that takes us time.

GameTime

I hope they have them shooting as well. Really think we’re going to see the post game evolve with recruiting. Looks like Coach is after versatile girls that can shoot the rock. Tamari, Kk and Emily were never recruited to shoot from deep but it sure would be nice if at least one of them could knock down the occasional outside shot to keep the D honest.
Coach Kellie knows the landscape of basketball is changing....Just like football, superb offense is now needed to win championships.

Soon to be wearing Lady Vol colors:
Karoline Striplin....6'2" can and will bang inside, and pop from the deep outside...
Sara Puckett....6'2" down low scrapper and will pop all day long from the outside...
And then the following season:
Justine Pissott 6'3" The ultimate deep outside threat....

I can see a triple wing attack....It would be unstoppable!

VolBall09

Coach Kellie knows the landscape of basketball is changing....Just like football, superb offense is now needed to win championships.

Karoline Striplin....6'2" can and will bang inside, and pop from the deep outside...
Sara Puckett....6'2" down low scrapper and will pop all day long from the outside...

I agree, if everyone can stay healthy we are about to get a lot harder to guard over the next two seasons. Teams are going to have to play us in a man more if everyone can hit from the outside. Will be forced to guard every player on the floor as well. At any given time this season we have 1 or 2 players on the floor who are not much of a scoring threat. Makes it that much tougher for our players who are.

Last edited:

therickbol

I would consider that stuff intellectual proprietary information. Coaches are very private with that sort of information. Would not be surprised if his page disappears.
Ummmm....it comes straight off of video of the games. Nothing proprietary about it. I see teams do stuff and steal it just like every other coach does. Now sneaking into practice and recording how they practice their stuff would be a whole 'nother situation.

drawing dead

I don’t see it but I will leave at that. I give you props though, there is no denying your desire for us to be great again.

Gametime you are a true and I mean true VFL.

Rickster

Does anyone else have any other “crazy but might just work” ideas? It doesn’t have to be anything that becomes the new-normal for the team — just something you think might be intriguing enough to try even once. Have some fun with it! :D
I believe we should bring in the world renowned experts in pokes, jabs and slaps....the Three Stooges. Larry and Curly could teach defense and Moe could teach offense. Merry Christmas!

GameTime

I don’t see it but I will leave at that. I give you props though, there is no denying your desire for us to be great again.

Gametime you are a true and I mean true VFL.
Thanks Double D......Thank you very much...I do love this team.

The "triple wing attack" could be an offensive version of the 1-3-1 defensive zone strategy....For example, have Key on the low block, and Miles at the point....The opponents defense would be hard pressed to stop the outside shooting, with our 3 big gunners slashing through the lane to scrape off their defenders ...

Hell, even the elbow would be wide open with quick side to side ball movement...If they try and take away the outside shot, little Miles can penetrate for a quick lay up, or a pass to a ready outside gunner if they close in on her....

With the before mentioned lineup, we could also run a version of the picket fence all game long, or when needed....As long as we don't get caught watching the paint dry we could not be stopped.....These gunners are big and tall, and they love offense....

Guys, it's going to be STUPENDOUS!!!!!!

37620VOL

Barely-Known Member
Yes, other teams watch game film and take notes, but that's time consuming. So this playbook business saves them time. Then KJH and staff have to make up some new plays, not so much the live ball plays, but inbounding (which hasn't been one of our strong points for a while) and situational plays, and the team has to practice them. And that takes us time.
That's not how it works at all. We scout all the teams we play and they all scout us. This isn't Micky Mouse basketball. Everyone knows everyone else's base offense and game plans to stop it. Further those "play books" are beyond basic. Every one of those sets has multiple cuts and options based on how the defense chooses to "play the play".

VN Store

Sponsors