I'm so sick of prevent offense

Just like a prevent defense in football, the "prevent offense" in basketball just makes me sick. Tennessee had two possessions with under a minute and a half and both times they stand around at half court and run the clock then with less than 8 seconds left on the shot clock they try to generate a play ... it's too fricken late! They turned the ball over the first time and they throw up a hail mary the second time. Why in the hell can't Tennessee just run their normal offensive schemes and try to put the game away instead of killing the clock. It backfired once again and Tennessee got killed. Crap !!!
I don't think Barnes has enough confidence in them to shoot the ball. This is not a good clutch shooting team.

Not the consistent nature of it. The roster is nowhere near the quality as it was last year. He's actually done a damn good job with this roster

He has done a pathetically average job of some in game coaching. And it has cost games.

Never playing zone on UK.....after drive after drive after drive after drive to the basket.

Anyone that didnt see absolute failure coming when that inbounds pass wound up in the hands of Bowden, is dense.

Exactly right, but don't let that get in the way of a good ol' fashioned Barnes lynch mob.

Also, ignore the near dozen missed FTs and 20 TOs that weren't his fault, either. The fact is, we tried to run the offense thru Fulk on a couple different possessions down the stretch inside 2 minutes, and as well as he played overall, tonight, he turned it over both times we went to him inside 2 minutes. Vescovi turned it over twice inside 2 minutes, as well.

Yea, he turned it over.. But I think a big part of it was THEY were COMING and he KNEW it. Sorta like a receiver who peaks at the defender who has taken his head off all game long. Just gets in to big of a hurry.

If there’s one thing we learned about Bowden these past 4 years , it’s that he does not have that type of personality. He’s much better as a complimentary player thank a go to player

Probably why Turner looked like a ball hog at times, he knew Bowden didn't want to take the lead.

He has done a pathetically average job of some in game coaching. And it has cost games.

Never playing zone on UK.....after drive after drive after drive after drive to the basket.

Anyone that didnt see absolute failure coming when that inbounds pass wound up in the hands of Bowden, is dense.
We'll have to agree to disagree regarding most of your analyses. I do agree on the inbounds pass, but they did a good job of denying Vescovi his position

Just like a prevent defense in football, the "prevent offense" in basketball just makes me sick. Tennessee had two possessions with under a minute and a half and both times they stand around at half court and run the clock then with less than 8 seconds left on the shot clock they try to generate a play ... it's too fricken late! They turned the ball over the first time and they throw up a hail mary the second time. Why in the hell can't Tennessee just run their normal offensive schemes and try to put the game away instead of killing the clock. It backfired once again and Tennessee got killed. Crap !!!
💯 percent this...I was dumbfounded seeing them ‘manage the clock’ on a FREAKIN FOUR POINT LEAD.

The charge called on Fulkerson was garbage! That didn't lose the game but man it hurt. I just keep coming back to Bowden. He's a basket case. He needs to get out of his own head.

Reactions: jeff1vol

Coach isn’t great.

I would bet our zone with so many freshman is terrible because I doubt Barnes spends a lot of time with it. You can say that’s on him for not prepping zone, but we’ve had a lot of changes this year

I would bet our zone with so many freshman is terrible because I doubt Barnes spends a lot of time with it. You can say that’s on him for not prepping zone, but we’ve had a lot of changes this year

The man to man that UK repeatedly sliced thru wasnt so hot either.

I really don't understand why you don't use a zone defense, maybe not always as your primary defense, but certainly if you're getting sliced and diced by quicker guards. Interestingly, Calipari doesn't zone much, but he used the zone against Tennessee on 5 or 6 possessions.

I really don't understand why you don't use a zone defense, maybe not always as your primary defense, but certainly if you're getting sliced and diced by quicker guards. Interestingly, Calipari doesn't zone much, but he used the zone against Tennessee on 5 or 6 possessions.

It depends on your roster. Cal tried playing zone against us a year or two ago at home, and we carved it up. Had no answers because Grant and Fulky were great at the high post.

The problem you risk playing zone against UK is rebounding. They are also bigger on the inside. Our man defense has been solid this year, and I’m sure coaches didn’t want to go away from your bread and butter.

Reactions: Lankykong
It depends on your roster. Cal tried playing zone against us a year or two ago at home, and we carved it up. Had no answers because Grant and Fulky were great at the high post.

The problem you risk playing zone against UK is rebounding. They are also bigger on the inside. Our man defense has been solid this year, and I’m sure coaches didn’t want to go away from your bread and butter.
But, when it's not solid during the course of a game, i.e., Mississippi State, don't you at least try to change it up? I think you should.

But, when it's not solid during the course of a game, i.e., Mississippi State, don't you at least try to change it up? I think you should.

Yea, agree. But I don’t have access to practice or know what they think about it. Barnes went to zone when we got into foul trouble at Memphis last year, and we didn’t play it well. I believe we experimented with a 1-3-1 at some point this year.

Barnes has shown at times he will try things, so there has to be something preventing him from doing it.

I agree. Looked like the kind of call that the home team is going to get 90% of the time.
I looked at that replay in slo motion probably 10 times. I wasn't so sure at first, but I'm more confident now that the defender did not have established position. Of course, it really only matters what the official thought. I think we lost it with some indecisive strategy prior to that.

Vescovi gets the blame for committing a key turnover late in the game and Tennessee had their chances late in the game and we do not have enough consistent offensive weapons other than Fulkerson, Pons and Vescovi to get on a long winning streak.

A lot of these folks take Barnes for granted.

Guess they miss those up & comer coaches we used to hire.
Yeah, I think I’ll take my chances with a 700 win HOF coach rather than these couch coaches whose experience is limited to their 6 year old’s church team.

Vescovi gets the blame for committing a key turnover late in the game and Tennessee had their chances late in the game and we do not have enough consistent offensive weapons other than Fulkerson, Pons and Vescovi to get on a long winning streak.
Dang freshman, if only we had a senior guard on the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: sport3500
It's funny how so many clearly saw that as a block. If you put 10 refs in a room to watch that in slo mo 10 times without any bias whatsoever, I'm guessing the majority call a block. So any ref not sharing your opinion is not worth a damn. Interesting.
Dude... the SC player was clearly set, in position, before Fulkersons move. HOW, pray tell, do you call a block when the player is clearly set?

VN Store

Back