I'm so sick of prevent offense

teeball

Just like a prevent defense in football, the "prevent offense" in basketball just makes me sick. Tennessee had two possessions with under a minute and a half and both times they stand around at half court and run the clock then with less than 8 seconds left on the shot clock they try to generate a play ... it's too fricken late! They turned the ball over the first time and they throw up a hail mary the second time. Why in the hell can't Tennessee just run their normal offensive schemes and try to put the game away instead of killing the clock. It backfired once again and Tennessee got killed. Crap !!!

Terrible coaching by Barnes.

Running our last legitimate offensive possession thru Bowden.

Just awful. Barnes deserves to criticized for this season.
I think that possession was supposed to be ran through Vescovi, but SC did a good job denying the pass from Bowden.
Instead, we froze up and dribbled until we had to scramble late in the possession.

The math doesn't even work out on that last possession. What difference does it make if they get the ball back with 35 seconds vs 23?

A 3 or 4 pt advantage is worth much, much more than a few more seconds run off the clock.

Yeah, this one was actually bad. We probably should have continued to run the offense through Fulk, and Bowden as a senior ballhandler has to have a backup plan when Vescovi can’t get the ball.

Barnes did not do well with like the last 4 minutes of offense

Additionally feel like he should have told his guys to fall down. It became obvious that it was all the refs were looking for on blocks/charges. Ain’t no way they would have called a flop. ON gave up like 4 points just by not flopping against Kotsar

I think that possession was supposed to be ran through Vescovi, but SC did a good job denying the pass from Bowden.
Instead, we froze up and dribbled until we had to scramble late in the possession.

Barnes had a timeout. He could've used it when it was obvious we were going nowhere that possession

Just like a prevent defense in football, the "prevent offense" in basketball just makes me sick. Tennessee had two possessions with under a minute and a half and both times they stand around at half court and run the clock then with less than 8 seconds left on the shot clock they try to generate a play ... it's too fricken late! They turned the ball over the first time and they throw up a hail mary the second time. Why in the hell can't Tennessee just run their normal offensive schemes and try to put the game away instead of killing the clock. It backfired once again and Tennessee got killed. Crap !!!
I know many will dismiss those as more Barnes hate, but this is the kind of stuff that’s held him back in post season. This was a HUGE game and then clinched the butt cheeks on that one. Three horrid offensive sets at the end. Although I think the charge on Fulk as bull shat .

I know many will dismiss those as more Barnes hate, but this is the kind of stuff that’s held him back in post season. This was a HUGE game and then clinched the butt cheeks on that one. Three horrid offensive sets at the end. Although I think the charge on Fulk as bull shat .
This one I do feel was on Barnes, I’ll give it to you. Some in the past, eh, but this one def was

Exactly right, but don't let that get in the way of a good ol' fashioned Barnes lynch mob.

Also, ignore the near dozen missed FTs and 20 TOs that weren't his fault, either. The fact is, we tried to run the offense thru Fulk on a couple different possessions down the stretch inside 2 minutes, and as well as he played overall, tonight, he turned it over both times we went to him inside 2 minutes. Vescovi turned it over twice inside 2 minutes, as well.

Barnes had a timeout. He could've used it when it was obvious we were going nowhere that possession
That was probably the most frustrating thing. I think he likely didn't want to have to inbound the ball again. This team seems to struggle inbounding the ball on their end of the floor. But a TO there was probably the right call.

Last edited:
Terrible coaching by Barnes.

Running our last legitimate offensive possession thru Bowden.

Just awful. Barnes deserves to criticized for this season.
Poor execution by Bowden. After the first failed attempt to get it to Vescovi, he should have attacked the rim. Pons, Fulky, or James may have had a shot an offensive rebound, or someone may have been open for a kick out. You'd expect more awareness from an experienced senior.

That was probably the most frustrating thing. I think he likely didn't want to have to inbound the ball again. This team seems to struggle inbounding the ball on their end of the floor. But a TO there was probably the right call.
What happened to the point guard going to get the ball? Vescovi made one cut, wasn’t open, and they freaked out. Why didn’t he just come get the ball, get to his spot, and run the dang play that was drawn up?

Not going to call it Barnes hate, but he went through Grant Williams multiple times the last 3 years. You have to have a player who is good enough to make the play and wants the ball.

In the last two years, the tournament losses were on defense. We made plays to take the lead. Grant made a shot and got fouled with 20 seconds left against Loyola. Against Purdue, Grant made two dunks inside the last 1:07. Then Loyola hit a shot that bounced 8 times off the rim, and Purdue got fouled inside 2 seconds.

So, to suggest that offensive sets to end games has cost him at UT is really not true.

Not going to call it Barnes hate, but he went through Grant Williams multiple times the last 3 years. You have to have a player who is good enough to make the play and wants the ball.

In the last two years, the tournament losses were on defense. We made plays to take the lead. Grant made a shot and got fouled with 20 seconds left against Loyola. Against Purdue, Grant made two dunks inside the last 1:07. Then Loyola hit a shot that bounced 8 times off the rim, and Purdue got fouled inside 2 seconds.

So, to suggest that offensive sets to end games has cost him at UT is really not true.
If you didn’t see the blatant force to Vescovi that was obviously smelled out then I can’t help you. It was right in front of the bench so Barnes had ample time to call timeout once he realized SC had him dead to rights.

If you didn’t see the blatant force to Vescovi that was obviously smelled out then I can’t help you. It was right in front of the bench so Barnes had ample time to call timeout once he realized SC had him dead to rights.

I didn’t see it because I haven’t watched much because the officiating is infuriating.

But that’s not what you said. You said it’s been happening to Barnes, and it’s why he isn’t a good tournament coach. Our close tournament loses weren’t due to late bad offensive sets.

I didn’t see it because I haven’t watched much because the officiating is infuriating.

But that’s not what you said. You said it’s been happening to Barnes, and it’s why he isn’t a good tournament coach. Our close tournament loses weren’t due to late bad offensive sets.

ok. So Barnes has other deficiencies. thanks for pointing that out.

What happened to the point guard going to get the ball? Vescovi made one cut, wasn’t open, and they freaked out. Why didn’t he just come get the ball, get to his spot, and run the dang play that was drawn up?
Vescovi made TWO attempts to go get the ball from his position on the wing closest to the Tennessee bench. He was blanketed both times and that was obviously the plan from Frank Martin; don't let SV get the ball. Barnes could have called a TO, at that point, but chose not to, most likely because he didn't want us to have to inbound the ball, again, where we have struggled and wouldn't have had a TO to call to avoid a 5-sec call.

VN Store

Back