I'm so sick of prevent offense

It looked pretty clear to me. Sorry we don’t agree. I’m OK with that.

Pretty sure I read Barnes’ response to the official, “That was a flop.” But nonetheless compare that one to the flop called on Pons against Cincy. You can’t reconcile it.

You can dish it but you can’t take it. I’ve never taken a personal shot- never called you a name, etc. You just have trouble with people disagreeing with you.
Your response was that I should go cheer for another program. There are various ways to antagonize and take shots. Questioning someone’s fandom because they criticize a coach is a big one. It’s an underhanded tactic to take the discussion off the subject (team and coach) and put it on your interlocutor. Hey, if you don’t like my opinion, disagree. No problem. I can absolutely take that. I would NEVER challenge your fandom because you criticized the teams effort or coaching decisions. I have plenty of examples of defending Barnes and the team. If my opinions give you that much concern, use the boards ignore feature. It’s there for a reason.

Pretty sure I read Barnes’ response to the official, “That was a flop.” But nonetheless compare that one to the flop called on Pons against Cincy. You can’t reconcile it.
Especially when it’s two different games and two different crews.

Reactions: RollerVol
Your response was that I should go cheer for another program. There are various ways to antagonize and take shots. Questioning someone’s fandom because they criticize a coach is a big one. It’s an underhanded tactic to take the discussion off the subject (team and coach) and put it on your interlocutor. Hey, if you don’t like my opinion, disagree. No problem. I can absolutely take that. I would NEVER challenge your fandom because you criticized the teams effort or coaching decisions. I have plenty of examples of defending Barnes and the team. If my opinions give you that much concern, use the boards ignore feature. It’s there for a reason.

I get it. You are a fan. But your complaints have come on in force after Barnes got a raise, and that comes off as you just digging him for no reason.

“Fans” sometimes aren’t supposed to see things logically as they root for their team. But some of our fans have just turned the opposite way. You guys criticize just to do it. It clouds your judgment toward the negative. I’ve never said our coach is perfect. He has faults, and we lose games. But our program is in much better shape right now than I ever imagined, and our history suggests that we would have a midmajor coach if Barnes wasn’t it. I just don’t get why so many people have to bellyache about his salary, etc.

It gets really old, and opinions have consequences. I don’t ignore people. I have done it one time in 8 years to someone who was obviously a troll. But I just don’t get the negativity. I am as competitive as the next guy, but some stuff stated on this board is ridiculous.

Enjoy your Sunday.

Frank Martin isn’t that good of a coach.

He just happened to catch Tennessee on a down year.

Barnes wasn’t out coached in anything.

If there’s blame to be given, Bowden shouldn’t have been passive and stepped up when the team needed him the most.
If there’s one thing we learned about Bowden these past 4 years , it’s that he does not have that type of personality. He’s much better as a complimentary player thank a go to player

My biggest issue is the fact he even called a timeout once we advanced it across half court. A. This team is not good at getting the ball in bounds during pressure situations. B. They are even worse at running set plays in a clock management situation and C. The ball was already in your playmakers hands.

Keep the 2 timeouts, call the play from the sideline if you want, and have the timeouts with 20 seconds left of a foul situation is in play.

Barnes is a future hof coach and I’m just a guy who gets frustrated when the vols blow it. We blew it before this possession honestly, but Bowden getting the minutes he does is crazy.

Props to fulk for really coming on, and vescovi is playing really well.

I've been on here defending barnes to the death the past few weeks. Tonight he made me look like an a******. Horrible game management up 6 with 3 minutes to play. He just cost this team a chance at a tournament bid.

I guess this kind of coaching is what turned off the Texas fans.

He does have a tendency to start the prevent offense too often.

I get it. You are a fan. But your complaints have come on in force after Barnes got a raise, and that comes off as you just digging him for no reason.

“Fans” sometimes aren’t supposed to see things logically as they root for their team. But some of our fans have just turned the opposite way. You guys criticize just to do it. It clouds your judgment toward the negative. I’ve never said our coach is perfect. He has faults, and we lose games. But our program is in much better shape right now than I ever imagined, and our history suggests that we would have a midmajor coach if Barnes wasn’t it. I just don’t get why so many people have to bellyache about his salary, etc.

It gets really old, and opinions have consequences. I don’t ignore people. I have done it one time in 8 years to someone who was obviously a troll. But I just don’t get the negativity. I am as competitive as the next guy, but some stuff stated on this board is ridiculous.

Enjoy your Sunday.
You are welcome to see my posts before Barnes raise and after. I assure you they aren’t different. You are also welcome to look for the last time I mentioned Barnes’ salary.

By nature, I’m a cynic. I’m aware of that. That doesn’t excuse some of the pile on, hall monitoring, antics we see evidenced in this forum

I agree, the program overall is in great shape. This doesn’t excuse the major hole in recruiting we’ve seen.

Reactions: RollerVol
Vescovi made TWO attempts to go get the ball from his position on the wing closest to the Tennessee bench. He was blanketed both times and that was obviously the plan from Frank Martin; don't let SV get the ball. Barnes could have called a TO, at that point, but chose not to, most likely because he didn't want us to have to inbound the ball, again, where we have struggled and wouldn't have had a TO to call to avoid a 5-sec call.
Frank Martin is a heck of a coach. I thought on that last possession he had his players execute perfectly. Tennessee was thusly confused and the play blew up. I was also concerned about our offensive execution the last four minutes. Not sure if that was related to coaching, player execution, or both.

Reactions: StrangeVol
It was a good call. Any ref worth a damn will call that foul 10 outta 10. He was clearly set and Fulk made forcible enough contact.
It's funny how so many clearly saw that as a block. If you put 10 refs in a room to watch that in slo mo 10 times without any bias whatsoever, I'm guessing the majority call a block. So any ref not sharing your opinion is not worth a damn. Interesting.

One thing I thought about this morning, was that when the ball was inbounded to Bowden, it was thrown way into the backcourt to avoid any sort of legitimate challenge by USCe. Vescovi could have come to Bowden on the USCe side of the floor to get the ball, and it would have been interesting to see if his defender would have followed him all the way into the backcourt.

Instead, Vescovi stayed on the wing and Bowden crossed the timeline. Perhaps a rookie mistake by SV to not go to the ball prior to Bowden bringing it up.
I wondered the same.

If that was not a flop, that guy must fall down every time someone brushes against him while walking to class, or crossing the street...He sold it, and the refs bought it. Just the way it is.

Yep if he was on the street and a shoving match happened and he went down that easy dude loses all street cred.
The bad thing on the flops are, if they call it the announcers can rationalize it as a correct call and the same rationalizing if he just no calls. Makes the refs almost indisputably right in the eyes of the beholder..

Terrible coaching by Barnes.

Running our last legitimate offensive possession thru Bowden.

Just awful. Barnes deserves to criticized for this season.
Seemed like bad coaching. SC's defense had a lot to do with how we ran that last set. They are one of the better defensive teams in the country. I get it though. At every opportunity, you bash Barnes. Haven't seen you post anything about the majority of his time here, where he has PROVEN to be a great coach

BTW, Barnes is quoted as saying he thought Fulkys was a clear charge. It’s quoted in the 247 recap.
Okay, guess if he said it then I should agree. I did feel like every one of those went against us though. Gaines had a dude stand on his foot-charge. Plavsic had a guy fall down in the restricted area - charge. 3 more charges or so that I mostly agreed with.

Additionally I almost never see the spin move charge called.

Seemed like bad coaching. SC's defense had a lot to do with how we ran that last set. They are one of the better defensive teams in the country. I get it though. At every opportunity, you bash Barnes. Haven't seen you post anything about the majority of his time here, where he has PROVEN to be a great coach

A lot of these folks take Barnes for granted.

Guess they miss those up & comer coaches we used to hire.

Well then you are ignorant and that is not my problem.

Ok...LOL....I'm ignorant. Can you provide an example of one of your posts where you praise Barnes for being a great coach?

No. You made a baseless assertion. It isnt my job to prove my innocence of your ignorant accusation. I have more than 30,000 posts here. I was supporting Barnes when he was struggling to see .500 in his first year.

So yes, you spout ignorance.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
No. You made a baseless assertion. It isnt my job to prove my innocence of your ignorant accusation. I have more than 30,000 posts here. I was supporting Barnes when he was struggling to see .500 in his first year.

So yes, you spout ignorance.
I'm just going by what I've read this year. Sorry, but all those have been negative towards Barnes. Methinks those positive posts are very few and far between. I may be wrong, but will stand by that assertion until I see something positive out of you

I'm just going by what I've read this year. Sorry, but all those have been negative towards Barnes. Methinks those positive posts are very few and far between. I may be wrong, but will stand by that assertion until I see something positive out of you

You are wrong. Not my job to dig up old posts to please you.

Majority negative this year because he deserves it.

VN Store

Back