Recruiting Forum Off Topic Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't really care. Not a baseball fanatic anymore to the point where I'll watch a game on tv (too slow) but still love to go to one of the great parks (Fenway or Wrigley, wife is huge Red Sox fan) and watch the game in person. Alternatively it's fun to go to a Single A park, so basic. Might have to watch a tv game if the players start deciding to deal to some justice with the Astros (those crazy unwritten rules of baseball).

Best baseball year of my life was 1978. Was stationed in SF Bay Area learning to fly the P-3. Would fly in the morning and be done by noon with no ground job. Would jump in car and run over to Oakland. Team was competitive for the first half of the season with a bunch of young players like Tony Armas and a group of really good young pitchers, but collapsed in the second half. Everyone in Oakland was pissed off because Charlie Finley had tried to sell team to some investors to move it to Denver so they were averaging about 2000 per game. Finley had them play most of their games during the daytime because he didn't want to pay the electric bill for night games. With military ID I could show up 15 minutes before the game and get a front row box seat for $7. Henry Weinhard's Special Reserve (an excellent beer) for $1. (Was an Ensign making $12 grand a year with flight pay included so living on the cheap was important.) Players would stand around dugout and shoot the breeze with the few fans there. The next year Finley sells the team, new owners bring in Billy Martin to manage, those pitchers hit their stride and Rickey Henderson comes up from minors. They start playing night games in front of 25,000 a night and the salad days were over. Besides I joined my fleet squadron which meant we had the ready alert every 3 months while stateside, but also started work-ups in June/July for early fall deployment, which meant I was flying all the time.

That 1978 thing sounds so freaking awesome. I’d have been there too.

images

Reactions: peaygolf
Do any flying once you got out?

Flew for reserves when I got out and went to grad school, eventually retired from reserves. Had 3000 hours and thought about a job with Delta after I got my post-doc degree but decided to go with my new profession. Never did any light civilian flying. After the military everything I could rent just seemed too tame. Besides, flying for the Navy was special, you had a purpose beyond just yourself and I got to do things I could never experience in civilian aviation. But it also made me one cocky SOB.

Dont try to defend the Astros. You cant. Not going to get into a debate over this.
Vols and the Astros... I will debate you until I’m blue in the face. But I have zero interest in talking baseball on VN. No cheating in 2019 and they lost game 7 of the World Series. They’ll kick ass again next year. I have a feeling you’re a Yankees fan

Pappas BBQ does the St Louis ribs and they are wonderful. Houston is big enough to support more BBQ though.
Calhouns was always my family’s favorite restaurant when they would visit me in school. So six Houstonians always supported Calhouns so you might be right. Being on the river was always badass. My dad always wanted to rent a boat for VolNavy

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Exhaustion I can vouch for. The more and harder I worked, the more frequent the ER trips.
Didn't want to accept that then but it's beyond obvious now.
Yeah, I was watching her. I have chronic fatigue/fibromyalgia, and everything effects everything else. So I got her to start paying attention when what she ate didn't seem to have anything to do with the attacks.

Reactions: chargervol
Vols and the Astros... I will debate you until I’m blue in the face. But I have zero interest in talking baseball on VN. No cheating in 2019 and they lost game 7 of the World Series. They’ll kick ass again next year. I have a feeling you’re a Yankees fan

Why would they have stopped then?

What if they win this year?

Then they’ll have made a good case for their ‘17 ring to have more validity than a lot of people suspect.

I happened to read my response again and it was incomplete. I’d revise it to say it gives more validity to their making it to the postseason. I’m not sure that it does much more than that. The Yankees and Dodgers both lost to them in 7 games, in as tight a couple series as you can have. Any unfair advantage could be the whole difference in either.

The World Series win included beating an uncharacteristically bad Darvish, with all the talk afterward being that he was tipping pitches. Who knows, maybe he was, in a manner of speaking.

We’ll never know what the difference may have been and that’s part of what sucks about the whole thing, we can’t know if the matchup was square, that whole integrity of the game thing.

Reactions: ngavolgirl
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back