Game Thread: #25/RV LADY VOLS VS. #RV/RV LSU

After a good sleep, things are clearer to me.

Kellie will grow, just as the team will grow
not at our pace
they HAVE grown and they will suffer setbacks and step-backs

They need our support now more than ever

They have mine!
Good post coach Jumper. Today is a new day.
I sincerely hope that there is no bad chemistry
between the players and coaches. Maybe
just a general letdown between all concerned.
I just put this game as a major disappointment for all of us fans. Hopefully the team can be energized for the next game.

If we win 2 more games, we will be a lock for the NCAA. I am not sure but I think if we go winless the rest of the year, we will have the same SEC record as last year, but we were lucky to get an NCAA bid last year.
Preseason I think we were predicted that we would finish 6th in the SEC and it still looks likely that we will finish somewhere from fourth to sixth.
Kellie will be here at least 2 more years so try to keep somewhat of an open mind about her for now.
Our players for the most part have a lot of potential but they need to develop that potential into consistent strong performance. We have seen flashes of that level of performance but sometimes it takes a couple years, if ever, to develop it into consistent performance. To maximize their potential takes coaching, strong desire, and a lot of hard work, and maybe a little luck.
For me, this season is turning out pretty much as expected. IMO better team play than last year but young players need work to do to reach their potential, and we are missing a couple pieces of the puzzle to be a top 10 team.
I agree 100%. Great post.

Reactions: travis929
Please don’t give up on our Lady Vols, folks! Yeah, they had a rough road game against a team that gives everybody a hard row to hoe, but it’s not over.

If Rennia’s around 85-95% and everyone else is healthy on Sunday, I think we can right the ship. Just a gut feeling.

GO LADY VOLS!

I just put this game as a major disappointment for all of us fans. Hopefully the team can be energized for the next game.

The speculation about "bad chemistry" is shall we say interesting because only a few weeks, this board was celebrating how great the chemistry was and how all the "cancers" were gone and Kellie had total buy-in from a group of great team players.

The reality is that losing streaks make players look unhappy and you will see a bit more finger pointing as players try to figure what is going wrong. There is absolutely no reason to take these commonplace responses to a losing streak as a sign of bad chemistry.

Grrrrr

Thanks for saying nicely,, what I was about to say a little harsher
I think that KJH has a hot mess on her hands. She seems frustrated with her players and they do not seem to have buy/in to what KJH is trying to establish. It seems to me that whatever KJH is doing, is sadly not working. It seems that KJH is trying to reproduce what she had at MoState, but she does not have the same type of players with the mindset of her MoState players. In reality, these ladies seem headed in the wrong direction.

Unfortunate game tonight. What can you say? We'll be out of the top 25...again...which is something unthinkable until these last couple seasons. Just need more talent...better recruiting and coaching. We are still a blue blood program in womens bball...so we SHOULD be able to bring in the talent needed. Do we give KJH credit for how she recruited at Mo. State? Cuz that team is tearing it up this year.

Maybe its the coach?

I think that KJH has a hot mess on her hands. She seems frustrated with her players and they do not seem to have buy/in to what KJH is trying to establish. It seems to me that whatever KJH is doing, is sadly not working. It seems that KJH is trying to reproduce what she had at MoState, but she does not have the same type of players with the mindset of her MoState players. In reality, these ladies seem headed in the wrong direction.

Bring Mo State style to the SEC will not work.

Totally agree. What adjustments would you have made? We went to a zone, half court trap, man, etc... just curious what you would have done differently.
Maybe have called a timeout and given all the ladies a can of Red Bull. Seriously, I believe much of the problem with blow bys and what is perceived as lack of hustle after rebounds and loose balls is so many teams are just quicker than us.

Reactions: GrindEveryDay
The speculation about "bad chemistry" is shall we say interesting because only a few weeks, this board was celebrating how great the chemistry was and how all the "cancers" were gone and Kellie had total buy-in from a group of great team players.
The chemistry speculation is shall we say infuriating because it started with fake news in the game thread last night and spread like wildfire. Someone labeled a totally normal exchange on the sideline btw KJH and Key as Key pulling away or blowing KJH off or something. Three posts later they had Key leaving and her sis sure not coming here. Sadly, I knew that would happen and so I watched the exchange closely looking for "bad chemistry". It just didn't happen. They didn't kiss and hug, but Key listened and then walked away, not looking thrilled but certainly not showing out. Anyone who thinks that was a bad reaction never knew Semeka Randall, who Pat said when she pouted you could feel it all the way up and down the bench.

I still think Kellie has buy-in (couldn't judge how total) and that reversing the stinky culture is possibly her most important accomplishment so far. Had to shore up the foundation before rebuilding the house.

That’s a very curious post, djtee. Had you said “talent level,” or “caliber,” or “type,” not an issue; but “style?”
They can shoot and handle; they don’t get beat up and down the court; they’re very fluid and smart. And, even with the staff change, they’re obviously very coachable. So we can say they’re “adaptable.”
So, whatever “style” they are, hopefully Coach Kellie can load up our roster with many like them.
Cheers, djtee!

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
The chemistry speculation is shall we say infuriating because it started with fake news in the game thread last night and spread like wildfire. Someone labeled a totally normal exchange on the sideline btw KJH and Key as Key pulling away or blowing KJH off or something. Three posts later they had Key leaving and her sis sure not coming here. Sadly, I knew that would happen and so I watched the exchange closely looking for "bad chemistry". It just didn't happen. They didn't kiss and hug, but Key listened and then walked away, not looking thrilled but certainly not showing out. Anyone who thinks that was a bad reaction never knew Semeka Randall, who Pat said when she pouted you could feel it all the way up and down the bench.

I still think Kellie has buy-in (couldn't judge how total) and that reversing the stinky culture is possibly her most important accomplishment so far. Had to shore up the foundation before rebuilding the house.

Honestly, there is a sect of the fan base who revel in the idea that everything is going to completely fall apart. For years, when ever there is a tough loss or a bad patch of games, they are all in the so and so is going to transfer.

It is toxic.

That’s a very curious post, djtee. Had you said “talent level,” or “caliber,” or “type,” not an issue; but “style?”
They can shoot and handle; they don’t get beat up and down the court; they’re very fluid and smart. And, even with the staff change, they’re obviously very coachable. So we can say they’re “adaptable.”
So, whatever “style” they are, hopefully Coach Kellie can load up our roster with many like them.
Cheers, djtee!

For you SC, Miss State, Tx am, Ark, how do you beat them ?

Totally agree. What adjustments would you have made? We went to a zone, half court trap, man, etc... just curious what you would have done differently.

1-3-1 trap, make Pointer give up the ball with the traps. Might have helped against the spot three shooter, too.

We did goto the trap, but we set the trap in their back-court...why trap a player when they have an entire half-court to avoid the trap..."One step in" is what I tell my girls. Dare them to cross court and when they do, then smother them.

It breaks my heart to see them this way. Adopt that killer instinct.

They have it, but if you keep exchanging wolves, the carcass will use the opportunity to exscape/

What's missing is not chemistry,,,, its confidence

Well said

Reactions: lvocd
I am fed up with this"good enough" mentality forming here
This is UT
The program that Pat Summitt built
She had a fire in her and it burns in me too
If you can't take the heat, get out of my furnace

Look to the left
See that dog, Smokey
That stare
It still exists and it ain't going away

Reactions: teacherdean

VN Store