Game Thread: #25/RV LADY VOLS VS. #RV/RV LSU

It’s games like these, where I think we will get murdered where we end up playing our best. Who knows.
That wasn't the case vs. Stanford, SC, UConn and MSST. They did get murdered. TAMU will be the same, as will Arkansas if they play like they did vs. UK.

As disappointing as this loss is, it wasn't THAT bad a loss. LSU is still the only good win they have, and they don't really have any bad losses. It's not a great season, but they are miles ahead of that mess that was last season... especially considering the team they are fielding is less talented than last year's squad.

Even with losses to TAMU and Arkansas, I think they still get in the NCAAT unless really weird sh1t happens in So Dakota, Mizz St, and FGCU conference tournaments.

I believe we have to give Coach Kellie another year to determine if she can restore the elite legacy to UT. This year's excuses will not hold water next year. Let's hope the best for her and the team.
You guys on here are ridiculous. Did you actually just post that we need to try and give Kellie another year!?!? 🤣 she inherited a mess and hasn’t even gotten a single player that she recruited. You do realize that Dawn Staley at SC had losing seasons for the first two years. Only won 10 games the first year.

Agreed, if she leaves I think it’s going to perpetuate a tough cycle. I do think her draft stock would be significantly better if she stayed one more year. It seems like she has a great relationship with Coach Harper, so that bodes well.
It definitely does! Now if Rennia could just get everyone else to buy into her mentality.

We do have some players but not near enough. I believe you our still thinking that we have a roster full of SEC players. Half this roster our mid major level.

And in a few cases that’s insulting to mid-major kids lol. There are some talented players at the mid-major schools these days. We are short staffed in bench talent for sure. I feel like they try hard, but are just outmatched.

Reactions: GrindEveryDay
This team looked unstoppable in the early point of the UCONN game and SC game
We have the right players!
No offense Jumper, and I know you like to get on here and talk about how long you’ve coached and such...but TN does not have SEC level talent. They just don’t. I’m not sure what the expectations were, or what this team will end up doing the rest of the season but I knew this would be a long season. We are short about three players to be competitive at a top level.

Didn't get to see the game but have read thru most of the thread. I haven't seen anything about turnovers? Does that mean we have improved on that front or just fell behind worse on others?

We were embarrassingly bad on defense. LSU's 5'7" PG constantly blew by Horston or Massengill or Burrell on top, then weaved around our bigs down low and scored layup after layup after layup. After layup. Or got fouled and made FTs. Or dished to the SAME forward in the SAME spot for a made three again and again. Adjustments were not forthcoming. Per usual.

Unfortunate game tonight. What can you say? We'll be out of the top 25...again...which is something unthinkable until these last couple seasons. Just need more talent...better recruiting and coaching. We are still a blue blood program in womens bball...so we SHOULD be able to bring in the talent needed. Do we give KJH credit for how she recruited at Mo. State? Cuz that team is tearing it up this year.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
We were embarrassingly bad on defense. LSU's 5'7" PG constantly blew by Horston or Massengill or Burrell on top, then weaved around our bigs down low and scored layup after layup after layup. After layup. Or got fouled and made FTs. Or dished to the SAME forward in the SAME spot for a made three again and again. Adjustments were not forthcoming. Per usual.
Totally agree. What adjustments would you have made? We went to a zone, half court trap, man, etc... just curious what you would have done differently.

A few hours ago, if I said the LVs would have just 12 turnovers, shoot 40% from the field, 43% from three and 72% free throws, raise your hand if you would have said we win by 20.

So I guess we can quit saying, "If only they'd fix the turnovers!" Tonight the big let down was horrendous defense. As Roseanne Rosanada would say, it's always something.

I am now officially and totally worried about Horston. IMO she is actually regressing, obviously pressing, and its painful and all too familiar to watch. Someone please help this kid! Sports psychologist? It seems so mental now.

No one knows, but my guess is that the coaches don't think she is good enough right now to play in the SEC when the game is still winnable. I know that is a harsh thing to say, but has to be true she never sees any action so I have to assume they think she can't get it done.
I agree with your post up until the twelfth word , then add the period .
FREE EMILY

Reactions: tn4everlvfl
I think Rennia needs to start telling some people to put up or shut up. I’m ready to see a little fire out of her toward her teammates. That was always something I loved about Candace, if you weren’t doing your job, she was gonna let you have it. She played at such a high level herself she could expect that from her teammates. I view Rennia much the same way. She holds herself to a different standard.

You can no longer claim Kellie has no bad losses, because losing to LSU without Mitchell is bad. If this is their best after a week off, we might as well had kept Holly...

Reactions: djtee and WVU05UT09
OMG this is how fake news starts! Now we have Key leaving and a lack of chemistry bubbling up. Yes Key shows her frustration at times. But NO she did NOT brush off Kellie! I purposely watched closely cuz I KNEW someone was going to say that and she did not, in any way, brush off Coach.

Key has obviously hit the freshman wall physically and emotionally, also she's never allowed to get into a flow b/c she gets subbed for by those other powerhouse posts of ours. But I see nothing to suggest she's leaving! What irresponsible bullsh*t.

Young players have to learn, and Barnes says this all the time, just how hard playing in the SEC is and how much effort is required. Not that they don't care, they just never imagined they could work or play that hard. That experience and knowledge, plus a serious summer in the weight room and think Key will be outstanding. For the University of Tennessee. Along with her sister.
I wish I could like this more than once!

Reactions: feathersax
Once again, will someone for the love of God just yell at somebody! Then we'll be good. Man I . wish it were that simple.

Interesting turnover fact: of our 12, the world famous turnover duo of Davis and Horston had 9. Whole rest of team only had 3, Jaz had zero and 3 assists. D & H must get a handle.

Reactions: tn4everlvfl

VN Store

Back