Game Thread: #25/RV LADY VOLS VS. #RV/RV LSU

We did goto the trap, but we set the trap in their back-court...why trap a player when they have an entire half-court to avoid the trap..."One step in" is what I tell my girls. Dare them to cross court and when they do, then smother them.

LSU did have trouble with our 3-person half court trap. Pointer routinely gave up the ball when two LVs came at her. But once they got into the forecourt we went back to playing on our heels in a passive 2-3 zone. A 1-3-1 trap means two defenders are hounding her to give up the ball or get tied up. No chance for Pointer to dribble in place, survey our passive zone, then head to the rim.

I've been called coach by my players, but I don't refer to myself as coach

Reactions: glv98
LSU did have trouble with our 3-person half court trap. Pointer routinely gave up the ball when two LVs came at her. But once they got into the forecourt we went back to playing on our heels in a passive 2-3 zone. A 1-3-1 trap means two defenders are hounding her to give up the ball or get tied up. No chance for Pointer to dribble in place, survey our passive zone, then head to the rim.

I've been called coach by my players, but I don't refer to myself as coach

You trap in two fashions, just as you play offense in two fashions...in full court or in the half-court set.
In closeout traps, yes Pointer was affected, but our HC trap was set wrong

I run a 3-1-1 half court trap
3-two trap and one plays the passing lane
1-at the foul line to take on any one who thinks about going into the lane or to go out on the player who gets the ball if the 3 section is beaten
1-in the paint, given instructions to protect the rim at all costs

I give the 3 instruction..."One step in" be patient and wait for the BH to step one step over half court before trying to set a trap...Dare them to come into your side!
One step across the HC line and they can not go back across it, so you have a virtual wall to defend the backside.

We constantly set our trap against LSU on their side of the HC,,,,advantage them,,,and they exploited it

Yes, Pointer was affected by closeout traps as all players can be,,,but she had a whole gym to work with the get out of the trap and used it.

As for referring to myself as Coach...I have actively been in this game for 39 years and am still active.
I don't know if you are or when you quit
but when I hang up my BB shoes, I will then drop my title.

This team is better then last year by simply betting teams we should beat. However this team is not very good.

They will turn the corner this end run and begin to assert themselves again.
I know this to be true

You trap in two fashions, just as you play offense in two fashions...in full court or in the half-court set.
In closeout traps, yes Pointer was affected, but our HC trap was set wrong

I run a 3-1-1 half court trap
3-two trap and one plays the passing lane
1-at the foul line to take on any one who thinks about going into the lane or to go out on the player who gets the ball if the 3 section is beaten
1-in the paint, given instructions to protect the rim at all costs

I give the 3 instruction..."One step in" be patient and wait for the BH to step one step over half court before trying to set a trap...Dare them to come into your side!
One step across the HC line and they can not go back across it, so you have a virtual wall to defend the backside.

We constantly set our trap against LSU on their side of the HC,,,,advantage them,,,and they exploited it

Yes, Pointer was affected by closeout traps as all players can be,,,but she had a whole gym to work with the get out of the trap and used it.

As for referring to myself as Coach...I have actively been in this game for 39 years and am still active.
I don't know if you are or when you quit
but when I hang up my BB shoes, I will then drop my title.

They will turn the corner this end run and begin to assert themselves again.
I know this to be true
What will this turning the corner look like, as far as results in the SEC and NCAA playoffs ?

I just pray and hope that if this program goes any further South, that Administration will do the right thing instead of waiting 7 years. I love KJH but if it isn’t working, no matter how much we love her, we have to think about the house that Pat built. Right now it is in need of serious repair.
This is utterly ridiculous. LSU had a week off before their game against TN, and came to our place and lost, we did the same. I’m sure fans of both teams were disappointed. I’ve read home court is good for 12 points, both games were within that. We have one scorer we depend on, probably weak from flu, they had two players score more than she did. Kellie had practically no time to get “elite” scorers for this season or next. Try to be reasonable.

This is utterly ridiculous. LSU had a week off before their game against TN, and came to our place and lost, we did the same. I’m sure fans of both teams were disappointed. I’ve read home court is good for 12 points, both games were within that. We have one scorer we depend on, probably weak from flu, they had two players score more than she did. Kellie had practically no time to get “elite” scorers for this season or next. Try to be reasonable.

I disagree with you, She did have time she had players in place but some decided on. And to add 2020 still had top recruits available. So lets not go there, Same can be said for 2021 Kellie was able to get a verbal from Karoline Striplin. She not an “elite” but she is the player the coach wanted. But it`s all good we can agree to disagree.

This is not only about one game, and it is not about faulting KJH. I personally witnessed what she did for MoState, taking them from a program down and out and making them winners. It took her three years to recruit the players she needed to carry out her plan and change the mindset. I still have faith that KJH will right the ship but it might take a few recruiting cycle to make Tennessee into a top ten team. Right now, looking at the entire season, we are not there. It is ridiculous to believe otherwise. We will get there.

What will this turning the corner look like, as far as results in the SEC and NCAA playoffs ?
I believe it will carry forth....these girls are ready for a run. They need it, they want it and they are going to do it.
Just a hunch, but as a coach, I am used to playing hunches

This is not only about one game, and it is not about faulting KJH. I personally witnessed what she did for MoState, taking them from a program down and out and making them winners. It took her three years to recruit the players she needed to carry out her plan and change the mindset. I still have faith that KJH will right the ship but it might take a few recruiting cycle to make Tennessee into a top ten team. Right now, looking at the entire season, we are not there. It is ridiculous to believe otherwise. We will get there.
This is much better, your post I responded to earlier was insinuating we need to get rid of a Coach, who literally has been on the job for a matter of months. It’s not about one game, and each loss brings those type of comments, especially from our resident trolls, of which you are not. This new team, half of whom were not playing together last year, has beaten many teams who beat us last year. We will get better.

I believe it will carry forth....these girls are ready for a run. They need it, they want it and they are going to do it.
Just a hunch, but as a coach, I am used to playing hunches
Thank you for the clarification. Hunches I can understand. What threw me in your original post was the "I know this to be true" statement regarding turning the corner.

This is much better, your post I responded to earlier was insinuating we need to get rid of a Coach, who literally has been on the job for a matter of months. It’s not about one game, and each loss brings those type of comments, especially from our resident trolls, of which you are not. This new team, half of whom were not playing together last year, has beaten many teams who beat us last year. We will get better.

Actually, I was not insulted by your comments, we have far too many posters with thin skin, I am a KJH fan. She created an atmosphere at MoState which has significantly increased their attendance. The new coach is doing a very good. I believe there is a 5-Star player sitting out this year to play for the Lady Bears next year.

VN Store

Back