2020 Football 5 Bold Predictions

Glad to see you went with “bold predictions“ instead of “hot take.”

The Indiana game gave me pause on JG. I thought he had turned the corner, but he was awful in the game. He has concentration issues and is so unpredictable. Just like last year, we will go as the QB goes.

This is exactly right. He didn’t turn any corner, the competition was simply really bad after the Bama game.

Announcer during IU game called it. He was late on way too many throws.. like he takes an extra half second to process throws... and the dude has never been able to read a blitz presnap....

I fear he will still be the best we have until after the mid season mark... Hope I’m wrong and it all clicks for HB starting with the spring game

1) Jarrett Gaurantano throws for 2500 yards 20 total Tds.

2) JJ Peterson starts at ILB and complies 100 tackles in 2020

3) Middleton wins the Outland Trophy

4) Key Lawrence gets 1st team All-SEC

5) Eric Gray runs for 1,500 yards. 2,000 total.

That is what usually happens for most so it is an easy conclusion to come to.
See you avoided that #80 finish JG had according to PFF.... and, no, you can't blame that on Maurer. If JG does his job, Maurer never plays.

That said, you've claimed that there's no way that Maurer improves between his true Fr and Soph years... though that's what "usually" happens. In fact, the year one to year two improvement is often the biggest leap for a college QB.

He obviously needs to make his reads quicker and not hold onto the ball so long. I think hes gotten used to running for his life and didn’t know what to do when he he has time
Pure BS. JG holds the ball too long. He was among the SEC's WORST for time to deliver the ball in both '18 and '19... and there was virtually no improvement. The OL got better. He did not.

And I am genuinely asking this, how does Chaney slow the game down for JG, or get him to process quicker?

We saw a lot of the same decision making, when he was under pressure, as when he wasn't. I honestly don't know how Chaney or any OC can fix his issues at the moment.
Some of it is just innate ability. A QB with mediocre arm talent can reach a certain level of success... but there comes a point when their arm just prevents them from being a very good QB.

All of us have weaknesses. JG's inability to process quickly and anticipate throws seems to be a fatal one.

1. A Vol RB goes for over 1,200 all purpose yards.
Don't know who... but I hope someone emerges behind one of the most talented OL's in the nation.

2. JG starts every game.
I would say that JG does not start every game and is replaced before the end of the season injury or not... but your prediction is much more bold than that one. JG has what appears to be an innate flaw that keeps biting him and the Vols. There are 6 guys in that QB room now and at least 3 have a legitimate shot at passing JG. Either way, UT doesn't get over the hump or compete with the likes of OU, UF, Bama, and UGA until we have MUCH, MUCH better QB play.

3. Wide Receivers are more productive in 2020 than 2019.
Almost completely depends on who is throwing to them and how well they play. This group has the talent to be better. But last year's group had plenty of talent... inhibited by poor QB play.

4. Vols are better at ILB in 2020.
Possibly the only group that IS NOT better next fall. If they can just be as good then the D takes a significant step forward.

5. More Sacks in 2020 than 2019.
Hope so. UT was actually one of the better sack teams in the SEC last fall. Oddly, they were mid-pack in getting pressure overall. UT may have to have an elite edge rusher emerge to get there.

Here are mine.

1- UT will improve their SEC rushing rank from 12th to top 5.

2- UT gets 10 wins if they get consistently good QB play... and that is very unlikely to come from JG.

3- UT will be among the SEC's top 4 in both scoring and total D.

4- The CB rotation will be among the nation's best.

5- UT's DL will be considered one of the SEC's best.

Last edited:
You think our entire OL will be all Americans? Lol

I chuckled at this too despite wishing and hoping it becomes true. Fact is, the SEC is too loaded with superb Olinemen for this to happen. However, the Vols season will be one of strange sights as yet unseen.

giphy.gif

1. Ty Chandler goes for over 1,200 all purpose yards. I love Eric Gray, but I think they both get an even amount of carries next year. Ty has had a couple injuries, but he has averaged 5.1 yards per carry with terrible to mediocre O lines and coming from a losing culture in 2017. The ONLY THING he has been missing is the vision for the home run hits (which is weird because he has elite top end speed... better than Gray). And don't get me wrong about Gray here, I think he has a lot of Alvin Kamara in him with that vision and burst... I am more making a statement about Ty's ability to take the step from mediocre SEC back to a very good SEC back.

2. JG starts every game. Unless he is injured, JG is going to give UT the best change to win in every game. Second year in Chaney's system and a much improved offensive line are going to make a big enough difference. This is going to start in Spring Ball where every one of Fingers reports reads, "JG is by far the most accurate today, but man HB can throw a pretty ball when he knows what he is doing." Then August reports will pretty much read the same thing. But end of the day JG will by far be the best player in practice and he should play better in games next year than last year with a second year in the system and better oline... So I don't see anyone else starting a game until 2021.

3. Wide Receivers are more productive in 2020 than 2019. Yes, JJ and MC are better than Gibbs/BJ/Ramel/Cedric and that others... But a second year in a offensive system with a much better oline will make up the difference. AND Palmer is legit, Brandon Johnson will be a sure handed veteran running the right routes, and the other receivers have looked promising.

4. Vols are better at ILB in 2020. This is especially bold because QC is out for the spring... But we are no longer Butch Jones and Dooley's version of the Vols. Bama, UGA and others with great defensive coaches replace great linebackers every year without drop off. Daniel Bituli is one of my favorite vols all time, but I expect HT to play at that level next year and QC as a sophomore to play as well as HT did as a freshman. And our Dline will be improved which will make things easier for the LBS as well.

5. More Sacks in 2020 than 2019. No one will play at the level of D Taylor, but the Defense will be better as a whole and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a significant uptick in sacks. Also- All of our corners are really good off the corner blitzes. I would expect a lot of those next year if someone steps into Nigel Warriors role as a reliable safety.

LMAO.

Give me your hot Vegas picks, too. Will bet the opposite and buy a Caribbean island or two.

Here are 7 things I think will happen this season

1) Eric Gray runs for around 1,025 yards

2) Trey Smith will win the Outland Trophy

3) Ramel Keyton will lead the team in receiving yards

4) By mid-season there will be a two platoon quarterback system with Jarrett Guarantano and Harrison Bailey

5) Trey Smith,Brandon Kennedy and Henry To'o To'o will be 1st team All SEC in 2020

6) Tennessee will finish 9-3 and 5-3 in the SEC in 2020

7) 9-3 Tennessee will play 9-3 Iowa in the Outback Bowl

I agree on all 5...those saying that BM is even in the conversation for QB are laughable, no offense. Dude won’t play at all, maybe mop up duty. It’s JG/HB.

Reactions: HeyHeyUT
Here are 7 things I think will happen this season

1) Eric Gray runs for around 1,025 yards

2) Trey Smith will win the Outland Trophy

3) Ramel Keyton will lead the team in receiving yards

4) By mid-season there will be a two platoon quarterback system with Jarrett Guarantano and Harrison Bailey

5) Trey Smith,Brandon Kennedy and Henry To'o To'o will be 1st team All SEC in 2020

6) Tennessee will finish 9-3 and 5-3 in the SEC in 2020

7) 9-3 Tennessee will play 9-3 Iowa in the Outback Bowl

That is 7, sir.

Also, Pruitt recently said we need to up our expectations as fans.

I don't see 3 teams in all of college football that could beat us next year. Much less 3 teams on our schedule.

UGA is the only one.
Bama push
UF push
OU push

1. Ty Chandler goes for over 1,200 all purpose yards. I love Eric Gray, but I think they both get an even amount of carries next year. Ty has had a couple injuries, but he has averaged 5.1 yards per carry with terrible to mediocre O lines and coming from a losing culture in 2017. The ONLY THING he has been missing is the vision for the home run hits (which is weird because he has elite top end speed... better than Gray). And don't get me wrong about Gray here, I think he has a lot of Alvin Kamara in him with that vision and burst... I am more making a statement about Ty's ability to take the step from mediocre SEC back to a very good SEC back.

2. JG starts every game. Unless he is injured, JG is going to give UT the best change to win in every game. Second year in Chaney's system and a much improved offensive line are going to make a big enough difference. This is going to start in Spring Ball where every one of Fingers reports reads, "JG is by far the most accurate today, but man HB can throw a pretty ball when he knows what he is doing." Then August reports will pretty much read the same thing. But end of the day JG will by far be the best player in practice and he should play better in games next year than last year with a second year in the system and better oline... So I don't see anyone else starting a game until 2021.

3. Wide Receivers are more productive in 2020 than 2019. Yes, JJ and MC are better than Gibbs/BJ/Ramel/Cedric and that others... But a second year in a offensive system with a much better oline will make up the difference. AND Palmer is legit, Brandon Johnson will be a sure handed veteran running the right routes, and the other receivers have looked promising.

4. Vols are better at ILB in 2020. This is especially bold because QC is out for the spring... But we are no longer Butch Jones and Dooley's version of the Vols. Bama, UGA and others with great defensive coaches replace great linebackers every year without drop off. Daniel Bituli is one of my favorite vols all time, but I expect HT to play at that level next year and QC as a sophomore to play as well as HT did as a freshman. And our Dline will be improved which will make things easier for the LBS as well.

5. More Sacks in 2020 than 2019. No one will play at the level of D Taylor, but the Defense will be better as a whole and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a significant uptick in sacks. Also- All of our corners are really good off the corner blitzes. I would expect a lot of those next year if someone steps into Nigel Warriors role as a reliable safety.
2 is not happening.

1) Jarrett Gaurantano throws for 2500 yards 20 total Tds.

2) JJ Peterson starts at ILB and complies 100 tackles in 2020

3) Middleton wins the Outland Trophy

4) Key Lawrence gets 1st team All-SEC

5) Eric Gray runs for 1,500 yards. 2,000 total.

That is bold. Highly unlikely, but definitely bold, hope it happens though.

I hope that JG has turned the corner and finally puts us in the best position to win every game. That said he’s been here 3 full years and has yet to do so. I predict that somewhere down the road he’ll be sat for Bailey and the show will start with a bang.

If the WRs want to make that big of a jump they’ve got a lot of ground to cover and have to show up in big games and situations. Keaton is there I believe it’s just what Will Tennessee get from the supporting cast that will make or break the group as a whole.

1. All American across the board up front at OL
2. Gibbs is the star at WR
3. Gray and Chandler combine for 2k
4. Ansley gets the D to T10
5. Bailey starts at some point and Tennessee never looks back
If Gray and Chandler combine for 2K and D is T10 Vols would likely contend for the East

I hope you're right but I have my doubts about a few.

"You cannot replace a Daniel Bituli" - Denzel Washington, Remember the Titans.

But I love HT, especially his smiles and I have high hopes for our defense. So I think 4 and 5 are plausible.

I think 2 OR 3 are plausible but not both. I dont see this group of receivers as more productive than last year's unless HB steps up and blows everyone away. I think HB can learn a lot from JG - I think any young QB can - about toughness, determination...

"They tell me you're a man with true grit. " Mattie Ross to JG, True Grit (1969 version)

Anyway, GBO!!!
"Fill your hands you SOB" and "Damnit Bo, you never give me reason to cuss you...". True Grit and Rooster Cogburn are 2 of my favorites.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knox-a-rue
Yep. You have over 2000 thousand yards rushing and a top rated defense you're gonna be winning some ballgames, unless of course you're turning the ball over at an alarming rate. Gotta win the turnover battle.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
That is 7, sir.

Also, Pruitt recently said we need to up our expectations as fans.

I don't see 3 teams in all of college football that could beat us next year. Much less 3 teams on our schedule.

UGA is the only one.
Bama push
UF push
OU push
I think we match up better with Ga than we do Alabama. Ga has a new OC and will be depending on a bunch of newcomers on that side of the ball. I believe it'll be a defense dominated game and our experience on offense and better STs could be the difference. I also see them falling apart with such a young team if they were to lose to both Bama and Florida before playing them. I think Bama's defense will be really good and they'll go back to their power run game and lots of RPO. If their Fr QB is the real deal then the commies will be tough.

See you avoided that #80 finish JG had according to PFF.... and, no, you can't blame that on Maurer. If JG does his job, Maurer never plays.

That said, you've claimed that there's no way that Maurer improves between his true Fr and Soph years... though that's what "usually" happens. In fact, the year one to year two improvement is often the biggest leap for a college QB.
You obviously avoided the part where the analyst said if JG puts it all together he'll be top10 overall. You predict that to be impossible because JG has reached his potential and you have given up on a kid that's given a lot to this program and who has not been terrible when stacked up to the rest of the conference, all the while there are many fans seemingly who feel he's got a good chance at improving and having a good season. I've said it many times, our QB room is one of if not the best overall in the SEC and JGs talent and experience play a role in that.

Nice list but not that bold of a guess as all 5 could happen. My 5 boldest would be:
1. Vols have 3 All-American players in Trey, Big Henry and Cimaglia
2. Vols defense finishes top 5 overall, #1 in pass defense
3. Vols will average 200+ yards per game in both rushing and passing offense, 450+ total offense
4. Vols upset Bama!! Vols will be 5-1 and coming off a bye when the tide comes to Knoxville. The commies will be playing their 6th week in a row heading into a bye looking ahead to their game at LSU, we are their trap game. I also believe that Fulmer beat them as a player, dominated them as a coach and will beat them again as AD. Vols win on a late tide missed field goal after Pruitt calls 3 consecutive TOs. BuckFama
5. Vols vs GA will determine SEC east champion, Vols beat Bama a 2nd time and since it's bold predictions they earn the 3rd seed in the playoffs behind Ohio St and Clemson. Florida will be the #4 seed with only loss to Vols, Vols vs Gators for the National Championship!! Everyone buy a bunch of cigars for the year :) ;)

JG is going to ball out. Realistically you want JG to do well that gives the younger QB's a chance to grow. Finally JG has a OC thats stayed for another year. 2 years in this system should fair well for JG and the WR. Brandon Johnson going to lead the WR core. You need a vetran WR like Brandon that knows the playbook and can play all the WR positions.

I always wonder why you feel the need to lie so much. This is a message board. No need to lie to anyone.

I don't know what ranking you are talking about. Its funny you like their rankings now. You hated them when they ranked JG as the 2nd best returning SEC qb last year.

I never said BM won't improve. It would be hard not to.

What I said is if he and JG both improve at a normal rate then he is still far behind. In fact it would take a unusually huge improvement for him to reach where JG was last year.
With normal improvement MAYBE he can be as good as JG as a freshman.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I always wonder why you feel the need to lie so much. This is a message board. No need to lie to anyone.
You are fundamentally dishonest person. You declaring someone a "liar" is the equivalent of Larry Flynt calling someone sexually depraved.

I don't know what ranking you are talking about. Its funny you like their rankings now. You hated them when they ranked JG as the 2nd best returning SEC qb last year.
Yeah... that was their projection which he FAILED TO LIVE UP TO. You can't even be honest about something like that. I tagged you with a link to that article. I'm not wasting time to find it for you again.... knowing that you aren't honest enough to accept it any way.

I never said BM won't improve. It would be hard not to.
You're being dishonest... again. You have NEVER been honest about Maurer. You have ALWAYS overstated the bad and understated the good. There are two simple reasons. One, he was a threat to JG. They were ready to give him the job and likely would have barring injury. Two, you know...

What I said is if he and JG both improve at a normal rate then he is still far behind.
And as usual you are just about 100% wrong. The "normal" rate of improvement for a college QB is exponential. The jump from year 1 to year 2 is almost always the steepest and largest. The curve then "flattens" as they approach their talent limits.

In fact it would take a unusually huge improvement for him to reach where JG was last year.
Maurer beat him out then got injured and never really played the same after. You are wrong yet again. If Maurer just cleans up his mistakes... he's already close.
With normal improvement MAYBE he can be as good as JG as a freshman.
You... are just a fundamentally dishonest person. JG was HORRIBLE as a RS Fr. Try 1-6 on for size plus over 30 drive killing sacks taken to go with poor reads and frequent check downs for ineffective completions.

VN Store

Back