2020 Football 5 Bold Predictions

HeyHeyUT

1. Ty Chandler goes for over 1,200 all purpose yards. I love Eric Gray, but I think they both get an even amount of carries next year. Ty has had a couple injuries, but he has averaged 5.1 yards per carry with terrible to mediocre O lines and coming from a losing culture in 2017. The ONLY THING he has been missing is the vision for the home run hits (which is weird because he has elite top end speed... better than Gray). And don't get me wrong about Gray here, I think he has a lot of Alvin Kamara in him with that vision and burst... I am more making a statement about Ty's ability to take the step from mediocre SEC back to a very good SEC back.

2. JG starts every game. Unless he is injured, JG is going to give UT the best change to win in every game. Second year in Chaney's system and a much improved offensive line are going to make a big enough difference. This is going to start in Spring Ball where every one of Fingers reports reads, "JG is by far the most accurate today, but man HB can throw a pretty ball when he knows what he is doing." Then August reports will pretty much read the same thing. But end of the day JG will by far be the best player in practice and he should play better in games next year than last year with a second year in the system and better oline... So I don't see anyone else starting a game until 2021.

3. Wide Receivers are more productive in 2020 than 2019. Yes, JJ and MC are better than Gibbs/BJ/Ramel/Cedric and that others... But a second year in a offensive system with a much better oline will make up the difference. AND Palmer is legit, Brandon Johnson will be a sure handed veteran running the right routes, and the other receivers have looked promising.

4. Vols are better at ILB in 2020. This is especially bold because QC is out for the spring... But we are no longer Butch Jones and Dooley's version of the Vols. Bama, UGA and others with great defensive coaches replace great linebackers every year without drop off. Daniel Bituli is one of my favorite vols all time, but I expect HT to play at that level next year and QC as a sophomore to play as well as HT did as a freshman. And our Dline will be improved which will make things easier for the LBS as well.

5. More Sacks in 2020 than 2019. No one will play at the level of D Taylor, but the Defense will be better as a whole and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a significant uptick in sacks. Also- All of our corners are really good off the corner blitzes. I would expect a lot of those next year if someone steps into Nigel Warriors role as a reliable safety.

1. Ty Chandler goes for over 1,200 all purpose yards. I love Eric Gray, but I think they both get an even amount of carries next year. Ty has had a couple injuries, but he has averaged 5.1 yards per carry with terrible to mediocre O lines and coming from a losing culture in 2017. The ONLY THING he has been missing is the vision for the home run hits (which is weird because he has elite top end speed... better than Gray). And don't get me wrong about Gray here, I think he has a lot of Alvin Kamara in him with that vision and burst... I am more making a statement about Ty's ability to take the step from mediocre SEC back to a very good SEC back.

2. JG starts every game. Unless he is injured, JG is going to give UT the best change to win in every game. Second year in Chaney's system and a much improved offensive line are going to make a big enough difference. This is going to start in Spring Ball where every one of Fingers reports reads, "JG is by far the most accurate today, but man HB can throw a pretty ball when he knows what he is doing." Then August reports will pretty much read the same thing. But end of the day JG will by far be the best player in practice and he should play better in games next year than last year with a second year in the system and better oline... So I don't see anyone else starting a game until 2021.

3. Wide Receivers are more productive in 2020 than 2019. Yes, JJ and MC are better than Gibbs/BJ/Ramel/Cedric and that others... But a second year in a offensive system with a much better oline will make up the difference. AND Palmer is legit, Brandon Johnson will be a sure handed veteran running the right routes, and the other receivers have looked promising.

4. Vols are better at ILB in 2020. This is especially bold because QC is out for the spring... But we are no longer Butch Jones and Dooley's version of the Vols. Bama, UGA and others with great defensive coaches replace great linebackers every year without drop off. Daniel Bituli is one of my favorite vols all time, but I expect HT to play at that level next year and QC as a sophomore to play as well as HT did as a freshman. And our Dline will be improved which will make things easier for the LBS as well.

5. More Sacks in 2020 than 2019. No one will play at the level of D Taylor, but the Defense will be better as a whole and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a significant uptick in sacks. Also- All of our corners are really good off the corner blitzes. I would expect a lot of those next year if someone steps into Nigel Warriors role as a reliable safety.

I hope that JG has turned the corner and finally puts us in the best position to win every game. That said he’s been here 3 full years and has yet to do so. I predict that somewhere down the road he’ll be sat for Bailey and the show will start with a bang.

If the WRs want to make that big of a jump they’ve got a lot of ground to cover and have to show up in big games and situations. Keaton is there I believe it’s just what Will Tennessee get from the supporting cast that will make or break the group as a whole.

1. All American across the board up front at OL
2. Gibbs is the star at WR
3. Gray and Chandler combine for 2k
4. Ansley gets the D to T10
5. Bailey starts at some point and Tennessee never looks back

I can see everything except #1.. Chandler just never seems to be at 100%, I think Gray eventually takes most of the carries next year. If we get the 5 star RB Evans he'll also cut into Chandlers touches.

Agree that JG will shut a lot of the critics up this year.. a 2nd year in the same system for the first time will help not only JG but our entire offense.

Last edited:

These predictions are more reasonable than bold. At least you're not predicting an SEC East championship. THAT would be bold.

Reactions: HalfullVol

I hope you're right but I have my doubts about a few.

"You cannot replace a Daniel Bituli" - Denzel Washington, Remember the Titans.

But I love HT, especially his smiles and I have high hopes for our defense. So I think 4 and 5 are plausible.

I think 2 OR 3 are plausible but not both. I dont see this group of receivers as more productive than last year's unless HB steps up and blows everyone away. I think HB can learn a lot from JG - I think any young QB can - about toughness, determination...

"They tell me you're a man with true grit. " Mattie Ross to JG, True Grit (1969 version)

Anyway, GBO!!!

I hope that JG has turned the corner and finally puts us in the best position to win every game. That said he’s been here 3 full years and has yet to do so. I predict that somewhere down the road he’ll be sat for Bailey and the show will start with a bang.

If the WRs want to make that big of a jump they’ve got a lot of ground to cover and have to show up in big games and situations. Keaton is there I believe it’s just what Will Tennessee get from the supporting cast that will make or break the group as a whole.

1. All American across the board up front at OL
2. Gibbs is the star at WR
3. Gray and Chandler combine for 2k
4. Ansley gets the D to T10
5. Bailey starts at some point and Tennessee never looks back
You think our entire OL will be all Americans? Lol

Like the others, I hope you are write.

1. I would be happy with Chandler hitting 1000 yards. Or, any of our running backs crossing the 1000 yard mark.

2. I just can't see JG starting every game. How long has it been since we have had a QB start every game of the season? Injury plays a big part in that (which you mentioned in the OP). I love JG's heart and dedication, but I still worry about his deer in the headlights moments during games. BTW, Dudleys87 he will be a red shirt senior so he has had FOUR years in the program already. I think HB will fit Chaney's system better and stands a good chance for a mid to late season start.

3. I agree, I think simply year two in the system will help with more passing game productivity. The OL and improvement of the run game will also help with that.

4 and 5. I believe are very accurate! The coaching, mentality and the Jimmy's and Joe's are all starting to fall in place on the defense.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I can only base my opinion on what I have seen from the on field performance of the past. Time for someone else to take the snaps for this Vol offense. JG has had his chance time and time again. Some people are great practice players some are game day players. This 019 team could have been so much more with better QB play move it on over. As for Ty. It seem he has lost a step from last year don't recall him breaking off any huge gains like the year before. Grey should be stronger with another year in the weight room and should improve on breaking tackles adding Jay Graham as a new RB coach doesn't hurt either.LB Hard to replace Bituli will just have to wait and see on that one. Receivers it's anybody guess who will step up but they did sign some height / speed with this class which is always a plus in the SEC. The D line did surprise me this year and should continue to improve for 2020. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Reactions: KBVol and Mccage
Like the others, I hope you are write.

1. I would be happy with Chandler hitting 1000 yards. Or, any of our running backs crossing the 1000 yard mark.

2. I just can't see JG starting every game. How long has it been since we have had a QB start every game of the season? Injury plays a big part in that (which you mentioned in the OP). I love JG's heart and dedication, but I still worry about his deer in the headlights moments during games. BTW, Dudleys87 he will be a red shirt senior so he has had FOUR years in the program already. I think HB will fit Chaney's system better and stands a good chance for a mid to late season start.

3. I agree, I think simply year two in the system will help with more passing game productivity. The OL and improvement of the run game will also help with that.

4 and 5. I believe are very accurate! The coaching, mentality and the Jimmy's and Joe's are all starting to fall in place on the defense.
It hasn't been that long since we had a QB start every game. Josh Dobbs

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
TE receiving yards will triple.

Road upset against Oklahoma or Georgia.

More sacks from edge rushers.

Top 10 Defense.

Holliday proving to be very productive in the wildcat.

Rushing yards per carry will go up by at least 2.

JG does significantly better in year 2 of OC Chaney, but HB or possibly even BM might unseat him by mid-season.

Agree and hope Ty can get over the hump? He seems as though he was in the Dog House for a majority of the season, but it could have been the injuries. Hope Gray pushes him and of course, there are others that offer good qualities. Then, there is the Evans thing (factor) good or bad, it has to be a something to consider.

Agree. Pruitt and Ansley will make things happen and kids will have more time in their schemes. Improvement showed as season progressed and we now have more leaders defensively.
2. JG starts every game. Unless he is injured, JG is going to give UT the best chance to win in every game. Second year in Chaney's system and a much improved offensive line are going to make a big enough difference. This is going to start in Spring Ball where every one of Fingers reports reads, "JG is by far the most accurate today, but man HB can throw a pretty ball when he knows what he is doing." Then August reports will pretty much read the same thing. But end of the day JG will by far be the best player in practice and he should play better in games next year than last year with a second year in the system and better oline... So I don't see anyone else starting a game until 2021.

Receivers are as good as the QB. I Still do not think JG has vision or timing or anticipation skills to complete the process. Unless he upgrades his processor.

It hasn't been that long since we had a QB start every game. Josh Dobbs

Dobbs started every game his Jr and Sr year, 2015 and 2016. I was thinking he missed starting a game each of those years do to injury. Prior to those two years we had a few years of more than one qb starting.

Agree with all but #4. Henry T will pretty much be as good as Bituli next year. But who will be BETTER than Henry was last year? Possible, but that’s a tall order for another true Fr or Q Crouch while missing spring. If Banks is back and learns the position quickly - that’s the best bet.

Reactions: VolFaninFla
So, if you don't know what he needs to improve on, how can you be sure that another off season with Chaney will result in an increased level of play?
He obviously needs to make his reads quicker and not hold onto the ball so long. I think hes gotten used to running for his life and didn’t know what to do when he he has time

He obviously needs to make his reads quicker and not hold onto the ball so long. I think hes gotten used to running for his life and didn’t know what to do when he he has time

And I am genuinely asking this, how does Chaney slow the game down for JG, or get him to process quicker?

We saw a lot of the same decision making, when he was under pressure, as when he wasn't. I honestly don't know how Chaney or any OC can fix his issues at the moment.

And I am genuinely asking this, how does Chaney slow the game down for JG, or get him to process quicker?

We saw a lot of the same decision making, when he was under pressure, as when he wasn't. I honestly don't know how Chaney or any OC can fix his issues at the moment.
I can’t answer that with any certainty. I just have faith he will be better.

Reactions: GBO121

VN Store

Back