2020 Football 5 Bold Predictions

Can you imagine what will happen if Bailey wins the job and plays bad in a game? People on here will be screaming bust and fire Chaney.
I can only speak for myself. If he makes mistakes consistent with his experience and development... then you live with it. That's part of the game. I'll criticize him if I see things he does poorly... just like I would anyone else.

Where you'll see me dig in though is if he demonstrates a flaw/weakness that persistently hurts the team.

JG improved last year. He managed the run game light years better. He used the medium middle well. He made the line calls and audibles well which is probably why Pruitt favored him over the others.

However he has two problems that have been there and manifested themselves in different ways since he stepped onto the field at UT.

He does not process quickly. Last year, one of the best measures was the time it took him to deliver the ball. If he's that much slower than other SEC QB's then he's also missing quick reads and early throws. That makes him easier to defend. Prior to last year, you could also see it in the number of sacks and hits he took.

He does not anticipate throws well. You can see this in many ways. One is that he pretty consistently throws short and late to deep targets. Watch the first series of the 2nd half of the USCe game last fall. MC was wide open. If the ball had been thrown earlier and out in front it is a walk in TD. It wasn't. It was thrown late and required MC to essentially stop and fight the DB for the ball. You very seldom if ever see him throw a receiver open... throw to a spot and let the receiver run into the catch. In the MSU game, Maurer made a really nice throw of this type to #4.

The opposite of JG RE the latter is Burrow... who said "If a defender's back is turned to me, I consider the receiver open". He quickly determined where the receiver could go that the defender could not... and threw the ball to that spot. His greatness as much as anything was due to his ability to "see" what was going to happen... to read and anticipate.

Reactions: 1vol8 and LittleVol
I can only speak for myself. If he makes mistakes consistent with his experience and development... then you live with it. That's part of the game. I'll criticize him if I see things he does poorly... just like I would anyone else.

Where you'll see me dig in though is if he demonstrates a flaw/weakness that persistently hurts the team.

JG improved last year. He managed the run game light years better. He used the medium middle well. He made the line calls and audibles well which is probably why Pruitt favored him over the others.

However he has two problems that have been there and manifested themselves in different ways since he stepped onto the field at UT.

He does not process quickly. Last year, one of the best measures was the time it took him to deliver the ball. If he's that much slower than other SEC QB's then he's also missing quick reads and early throws. That makes him easier to defend. Prior to last year, you could also see it in the number of sacks and hits he took.

He does not anticipate throws well. You can see this in many ways. One is that he pretty consistently throws short and late to deep targets. Watch the first series of the 2nd half of the USCe game last fall. MC was wide open. If the ball had been thrown earlier and out in front it is a walk in TD. It wasn't. It was thrown late and required MC to essentially stop and fight the DB for the ball. You very seldom if ever see him throw a receiver open... throw to a spot and let the receiver run into the catch. In the MSU game, Maurer made a really nice throw of this type to #4.

The opposite of JG RE the latter is Burrow... who said "If a defender's back is turned to me, I consider the receiver open". He quickly determined where the receiver could go that the defender could not... and threw the ball to that spot. His greatness as much as anything was due to his ability to "see" what was going to happen... to read and anticipate.

Figures you would take any chance you could get to take a jab at JG.

Figures you would take any chance you could get to take a jab at JG.
You do understand the concept of compare and contrast to demonstrate a point, right?

If Maurer, Shrout, Hill, Holiday, or Bailey wins the job then we should expect them to make and correct mistakes on par with their stage of development. At some point, all 5 have a ceiling. If that ceiling is low enough to hold the team back... then JG becomes the comparison.

You do understand the concept of compare and contrast to demonstrate a point, right?

If Maurer, Shrout, Hill, Holiday, or Bailey wins the job then we should expect them to make and correct mistakes on par with their stage of development. At some point, all 5 have a ceiling. If that ceiling is low enough to hold the team back... then JG becomes the comparison.

Seems like you love to use JG when it comes to anything resembling a QB discussion. You also like to assert your opinions as facts about his so called deficiencies. But you do you.

Seems like you love to use JG when it comes to anything resembling a QB discussion.
He's been the starter for most of the last 3 years. He's pretty much the comparison standard at this point. Five years ago it was Dobbs. Three years from now it will be someone else.

You also like to assert your opinions as facts about his so called deficiencies. But you do you.
It isn't an opinion that he constantly throws late/short or processes reads slow. There are stats that back it up... and you can see it by watching him play. It isn't personal. I wish it weren't true. But it is true and has been a big part of what's hurt his performance since he took about 30 sacks in 7 games as a RS Fr.

Just open your mind and go watch the first series of the 2nd half of the USCe game. Look at the play and replay of the long throw to Callaway. That isn't a unique occurrence. JG was set and hesitated then failed to lead MC. I don't want him to be that way. It just isn't that hard to see if you approach with a willingness to see it.

Reactions: LittleVol

VN Store

Back