Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
It might actually help sort out the "blue blood" mentality a bit.

QB A. can get bagman money to go to Alabama...may never see the field, and only got that money to sign. But If QB A is more interested in being "the guy" and playing ball he can now essentially make money anywhere, and being 3rd string for Bama simply won't pay him as well as being the starting QB at say, NC State.

Most of the recruiting imbalance exist because the winning schools are making the most money and investing it back into the program. But the players aren't exactly being handed that money. They get better exposure to be "noticed" by NFL scouts though if they are at a school that is constantly winning. You give them the opportunity to make some coin just from their own likeness and popularity, well North Dakota State isn't such a bad deal anymore...

At least now they can make good money locally and aren't buried on a roster somewhere competing for a chance to get into the NFL. If anything it might help "school pride" deciding to stay home and build local business connections that will last you far longer than the sport will in the grand scheme of things.

Exactly. Plus let us not underestimate how much the video game NCAA Football actually helped college programs as far as kids wanting to go to their schools and kids having favorite teams etc growing up. It made a big difference.

Now it will make even more of a difference because you are going to have the actual players names and likeness in the game whereas before you didn’t have that. Bringing that game back alone will reinvigorate college football. Kids will remember player names, etc. (This isn’t a joke)

Is that what he was groovin out to, here?
giphy-downsized-large.gif
Angel of Harlem, imo.

Reactions: SD189 and butchna
Interesting.

To each his own, but I don’t think college football players are playing for pride. On our level I believe they mostly play for financial interests - whether that be the $50,000 wire transfer that got them to Tennessee or the hope they have of making more money at the professional level. Inevitably “pride” in a school will be established but that isn’t guaranteed and normally that pride is built in the relationships on the team - not so much about the school itself.

I don’t know - I don’t watch the NFL much either, but I can acknowledge it is a far superior on-field product.

I really like The Office. Love it. I’ve watched the entire series multiple times. I don’t like it any less because as the seasons progressed it’s clear the actors made more money. That would be weird.

What this discussion almost feels like to me is we (fans) love this thing (University of Tennessee athletics) so much, and we give so much of our time, money, energy to it with very little in return, that we want the players and athletes to love it that much too - and as a result people think if the athletes are paid that they won’t love their university for the right reasons.
If you don't think there is a difference in professional football versus college football, I really don't know how to respond. To me it is night and day different and I think a lot of that has to do with amateurism vs professional.

Your office analogy is flawed because both in scenarios the actors are professional in each circumstance. They just got raises.

Professionalizing college sports will ruin it.

I do see your point. I do agree that if there were not this much money involved, there would likely be no conversation. And, like most, I would not trade my time in college for anything.

I agree 100%. I didn't realize it then, but I sure do now. And, I still say I couldn't tell you what I actually learned in college that I couldn't have learned by reading a book, but man the relationships that were formed and the ones I still consider great friends today are what it's all about. Just want those kids to have that to look back on also one day. I hope it doesn't ruin that for the ones coming up.

Let's just be honest with ourselves.

How exactly, in anyway will it "change the game" or the "passion" of college sports? The vast majority of NCAA athletes will NEVER even make it to the professional level.

It won’t lol. Old men screaming at clouds. The value of the college degree is getting less by the minute so this stance on “they are getting paid in free education, meals, clothes, etc”. Is just silly. The players are putting their bodies on the line literally and should be compensated for it in ways that actually have a measurable monetary value....not hey you tore your acl 3x so won’t be getting drafted and you will have trouble walking up steps the rest of your life but here’s yours communications degree, see you later...be sure to donate as a proud alumni.

If anything it is going to ramp up college sports Bc it will expose them to more popularity and make actual stars in college.

If you don't think there is a difference in professional football versus college football, I really don't know how to respond. To me it is night and day different and I think a lot of that has to do with amateurism vs professional.

Your office analogy is flawed because both in scenarios the actors are professional in each circumstance. They just got raises.

Professionalizing college sports will ruin it.

False. The difference is that every single NFL player is an elite level athlete at their position. In college even the best teams don't have elite level talent at every position for the entire roster.

What happens when you have the absolute best talent at every position is you end up with a lot of stalemates, that's why so much of the NFL does the same thing. And ultimately most games are decided by who messes up less, there's not a lot of variation in philosophies and that isn't a ton of risk taking.

In college, an undersized and less talented team has to find something to give them an edge. Or something that allows them to offset the talent gap. It's why teams run no huddle, why teams are willing to be an option only team, why coaches take chances and blitz early and often, and why the college game is a different on the field product. Because there's so much more variation in everything.

I'm generally not a fan of paying students...but...I think it actually helps Tennessee. Fans are the primary driver of the things they will get paid for. We have one of the biggest and most active fan bases of any school. No income tax + huge fan base with deep packets = Gettin' paid.

Fellow Texan here. Here's the Prop. 4 quoted, "The constitutional amendment prohibiting the imposition of an individual income tax, including a tax on an individual’s share of partnership and unincorporated association income.” So see the slickness? Voting yes will prohibit the imposition of an individual income tax. When most voters who don't spend any time reading it hear income tax, they'll reach for the no lever.
Pretty much everyone in Texas, with a Facebook account, knows to vote "yes" if they don't want a state income tax. I see it every week on my Facebook account :):):)

Alot of these coaches have crap choices for music. Kenny Chesney and Luke Bryan are trash.
I'd say Pruitt was just supporting Kenny cause he's from Knoxville. I'd bet coach is more of a George Strait guy if I were a betting man.

But yeah, no doubt Kirby really does love Luke Bryan though. Sissy.

Reactions: tnhunter 10
I'd say Pruitt was just supporting Kenny cause he's from Knoxville. I'd bet coach is more of a George Strait guy if I were a betting man.

But yeah, no doubt Kirby really does love Luke Bryan though. Sissy.
A few coaches picked artists from their area/region. I noticed Muschamp said Darius Rucker who is a gamecock supporter.
Pruitt probably wanted to say Alabama, which is a great band.

Reactions: SugarCC
If the government is paving the way for these kids to be paid they are going to expect to see the tax dollars flowing in. There will be legal ramifications of people aren't reporting their earnings.
Do you think bagmen, all over the country, report how much money they give to "student athletes" for attending certain universities? Just asking for a friend.

Doubtful. There is a difference in College culture. These players are constantly on campus and around their peers. They speak to fans and peers every single day. They play for the school to win to make everyone in the state and the school happy. I don’t think you can really change that with anything. An individual will always have pride for something like that.

Plus let’s be real. The good players are getting paid anyways. This just allows all the athletes to get paid.
Well, that's where the questions come in. Will it benefit all athletes? Doubtful but it might. And the good players will still be paid. Doubt that stops. Maybe just new creative ways that more people know about. Just not seeing how it will not change how the game is perceived by fans. But like ChattVol I will still cheer for my Vols even though I have checked out on pro sports. Hopefully all the fun won't be taken out of it.

Reactions: chargervol
Do y’all really think Josh Dobbs shouldn’t have earned a few grand while he was here? Lol

Pig Howard might be a millionaire today. And Da’Rick Rogers would have weed for life.

I’m like Pruitt in a sense. I’m always going to take up for our players. I wasn’t exactly sad to see Richmond leave but I hoped he would do well. Usually when we lose someone to transfer or dismissal I still try to keep up with them when I can. I wish them all the best. I mean after all they sort of become like family and just because someone moves away you don’t kick them out of the family.

Most coaches are mercenaries. Players are VFLs. You can’t say that about too many of our coaches.

When Kenneth George got into trouble I stood up for him. When Bryce Thompson got into trouble I manned up. I never quit on Jauan Jennings and even though I’m not partial to his personality one of the guys I’m pulling hardest for right now is Jarrett Guarantano. I want Jeremy Banks back too.

Think about it. A elementary school kid in Florida comes up with a homemade T-shirt design to celebrate his love for Tennessee football and more than a million dollars in revenue is generated from the sales of that design. That is the power of the T.

Over the years I’ve read a number of similar stories that exemplify the passion and community of Tennessee football. A few months ago one of our own reluctantly gave in to offers of support for some medical attention needed and here in this forum a bunch of probably mostly rednecks piled on more than 5 times the amount estimated as needed. The power of the T.

How many special edition Jauan Jennings Jerseys would we be selling this week if everyone knew that JJ would get $5 for every sale? I’ll take 20, preferably gift wrapped. I have some friends in South Carolina that I think would really enjoy having one of those as a gift for Christmas this year. jmo.

In 2018 Emory University did a study to determine the most economically powerful fanbases in college football. This was their finding:

ScreenHunter 283.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back